Thread for the AD Dodgers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is a thread to discuss AD dodgers and their shady tactics - the ones that may not be interesting enough for a thread of their own, but are still happy to flout the rules and mislead their followers.

Reactions: 1
The Freer Family.

Nearly every week they show something that's been "gifted" bento lunchboxes, hair bows, Christmas stockings, water bottle labels and this week muscle food has been mentioned a lot.
They never seem to say ad or paid partnership.

Reactions: 2
Oh I don't know them. I couldn't find them on Instagram or are they vloggers only? They sound like they have.....eclectic interests.

Lol great thread, and ain't that the truth.

I've reported the ones that were in my face but I'll keep an eye out.

I think it's Freerfamily11 on Instagram. They are mainly vlogging and Facebook. They come across as a good family but the sneaky ads or mentions is a bit like Mrs Meldrum and slipping it into a daily vlog, hoping no one will notice.

Last week MOD did a mirror selfie with credits of all her clothes, one credit was a gift of some trainers. All good on the AD front.

Today, another mirror selfie. No credits, one tag, being for a Hunter Boots puffer jacket, a brand that she has done a paid partnership with in the past and who one of her pals (DLAM) has been featuring (but not disclosing gifts etc) recently. Lots of people raving about the jacket and asking where it is from, so great exposure for Hunter. Was it gifted? I suspect it probably is, but why no credits?

This is what drives me nuts the most about influencers. One day they are keen to show how transparent they are, the next day they aren't. They all do this and I don't understand what motivates them to.

Reactions: 5
I think rvk_loves is another one that doesn't declare ADs. I'm pretty sure she's previously been reported to ASA so you'd think she'd know better.

I think rvk_loves is another one that doesn't declare ADs. I'm pretty sure she's previously been reported to ASA so you'd think she'd know better.
She's away again this weekend and I bet she's not paying for that house they're staying in the way she's tagging them constantly Surely that should be declared as #gifted just like anything else you get for free. She's also guilty of hiding her affiliate links hashtag behind profile pic.

She has been ticked off by ASA more than once. She gets round it now by marking things as #presstrip of #pressstay instead of AD on one or two pictures instead of making it clear the whole trip is a freebie. I used to find her tweeness charming but now she just gets on my nerves with her shady ways.

Rvk_loves blocked me for asking questions re advertising

She had a post re fat face clothes. A follower did the usual sycophantic ‘oh my god I love everything’ and then went on to say ‘you’ve made me buy all of it, I really shouldn’t have!’ To which Rebecca posted a very disingenuous ‘sorry about that’ with some emoji

I asked why she was sorry as her account is to sell things. No need to pretend.

Blocked!

Reactions: 10
Thats me blocked by Lucy Jessica Carter for asking if her affiliated link post for a clothing shop should be marked as Ad in line with ASA etc.

She's as big a scammer and fraud as her sister and dad it seems!

Reactions: 4
IMG_0125.PNG

I mean come on, talk about hiding it. That's a very deliberate decision to put that up in the corner behind the profile pic in that color font. If you want to post affiliate links, own it and put them front and center where everyone can see them.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 8
The ASA aren’t very helpful, IME. I reported Luisa zissman for an ambiguous post about personalised satin PJs “i love these amazing PJs” etc. Wasn’t tagged as a gift or an ad. ASA followed up and said:

Our remit
In order for such Instagram post to be considered advertising for the purposes of the rules that we apply, the following two tests must be met: 1) payment by the brand must be made to the blogger/vlogger/influencer AND 2) the brand must hold editorial control over what the blogger includes in the post.

Our guidance on this matter
Our current position on this issue is that where a brand sends a blogger items for free without any control of the content (or any conditions attached) and the blogger may or may not choose to include the item(s) in a blog, this sort of PR activity is not covered by the CAP Code; because there is no control, the post would not need to be labelled as an advertorial. Likewise, if a blogger accepts an item sent by a brand on the simple condition that it is reviewed (positively or negatively), without the brand exercising any control over the review, that blog is unlikely to be covered by the CAP Code.

In this case, we have received confirmation from the blogger that the brand did not hold editorial control over the post your complaint referred to. As we understand that the conditions mentioned above were not met, the post would fall out of our remit and we won’t be taking any further action. We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.”

So gifts don’t have to be labelled! ?????

I don't even ask as I know what the answer is and know that most of them are quick with the block button. If they carry on doing blatant adverts and should know better I am happy to report to ASA and let them deal with it. If ASA are made aware of all the issues then my thinking is that they will act eventually to address the systemic problems in this industry. If they only have a one sided view from influencers and brands (and not consumers) they won't do anything.

I see Lisa Dawson (so transparent she wrote a blog post explaining how transparent she is) has a new (spon) chandelier to go with her (spon) TV and new (spon) rug in her room painted with (spon) Valspar paint and is awaiting her new (spon) print to hang above her super (spon) table. None of it disclosed of course.

The ASA aren’t very helpful, IME. I reported Luisa zissman for an ambiguous post about personalised satin PJs “i love these amazing PJs” etc. Wasn’t tagged as a gift or an ad. ASA followed up and said:

Our remit
In order for such Instagram post to be considered advertising for the purposes of the rules that we apply, the following two tests must be met: 1) payment by the brand must be made to the blogger/vlogger/influencer AND 2) the brand must hold editorial control over what the blogger includes in the post.

Our guidance on this matter
Our current position on this issue is that where a brand sends a blogger items for free without any control of the content (or any conditions attached) and the blogger may or may not choose to include the item(s) in a blog, this sort of PR activity is not covered by the CAP Code; because there is no control, the post would not need to be labelled as an advertorial. Likewise, if a blogger accepts an item sent by a brand on the simple condition that it is reviewed (positively or negatively), without the brand exercising any control over the review, that blog is unlikely to be covered by the CAP Code.

In this case, we have received confirmation from the blogger that the brand did not hold editorial control over the post your complaint referred to. As we understand that the conditions mentioned above were not met, the post would fall out of our remit and we won’t be taking any further action. We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.”

So gifts don’t have to be labelled! ?????
I don't bother to report gifts because I know ASA won't currently take action on them (as they don't enforce the CMA general rules only things that fall within the ASA definitions of an ad). Affiliate links they will deal with and undisclosed paid partnerships and also if the AD or AFF is concealed like that RVK one - they have clear rules around ads being obvious - see through writing doesn't cut it.

But the wording they use seems to be a small step forward "Our current position on this issue" and "We have however explained our requirements regarding ad labelling to Luisa Zissman, for future reference.", it suggests they are reviewing their position (probably because they have had so many similar complaints) and also that they are explaining the CMA rules as well to them. I can hope, anyway.

That’s fair actually. I reported her before ages ago for some shady post on a hair tong. Again asa came back weakly BUT I saw a post of hers today doing a “paid partnership” with said tong. So who knows. We all just need to pick our influencer and report away until they disclose. I think I have been especially irritated by Luisa as she has married some serious wealth and has telly fame. So since there should be no need for her to grub about for freebies or spon or ad, it’s even less clear. Vs the stay at home Scottish mother of caylin (or similar) with 6,000 followers who did a post on that £125 nasal aspiration. As if she bought that, but since there’s 0 disclosure who’s to tell.

I think if you report them, action is definitely taken and we receive a basic response with not much information about what steps were taken.

The reason why is that I have reported some celebs who never put ad or affiliate, ever. One was Katie Price. I received that standard, dismal response, BUT! the next time she posted an advert for the first time ever she marked it so!! Apparently being reported to the ASA is a big deal and they watch those accounts like a hawk.

Can I check something, so colleen ballinger did a sarcastic video about her pregnancy & it was just an excuse to advertise some products. First she advertised a skin cleaning system with different heads and the products, the sort of thing that was floating around in the 80s and was crap, and she's like laying it on thick 'this has been a huge life saver during my pregnancy'. That's when I knew it was an ad lol. She is not subtle. She then had a code for it for money off. She carried on advertising their other skin lotions saying how everyone compliments her skin now. She shows the website even and how to click on the items.

She then said she doesn't need shower as much as their shampoo and conditioner makes her hair look better longer LOL omg.

Anyway my point is, she has no #Ad, no affiliate nothing, the only thing she has done is the very last thing in the description box it says this video is sponsored.

Is that okay?!

Btw to those getting blocked, dw about telling them to their face cus they hate that, instead just report them. If they listened and did the right thing then fair enough, but they don't, & then you can't see to report them more haha. Eltoria is setting fire to any fan who dares mention her calendar rip off scandal, so just be aware they will go to their graves not doing the right thing unless you report them and then their hand is forced :ROFLMAO:

(If you want to see the most cringey, cheesey video advertising stuff you know she never uses, cus she barely showers (and has said before this is a fact) then watch this horrible advert shilling crap she'll never use. it's at the right time)

Asa won’t have any remit over her cos she’s American I would imagine. Odd woman. Part of a now tired generation of YouTube “stars” who all need to wind it up and move on IMO.