Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The how many calories in your Christmas Dinner posts are starting to appear.
Why can’t people just be allowed to enjoy their dinner? It’s the same at Easter with how much sugar is in a creme egg.
I hate the annual "you need to run X miles to run off your Christmas dinner".

Reactions: 9
The how many calories in your Christmas Dinner posts are starting to appear.
Why can’t people just be allowed to enjoy their dinner? It’s the same at Easter with how much sugar is in a creme egg.
I just feel sorry for them. What a joyless existence.

Reactions: 18
I hate the annual "you need to run X miles to run off your Christmas dinner".
WTF!

You don’t even need to stand up to reach the chocolates and stuff your face.

I know which one I’m going to do!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I know that we are in a cost of living crisis and things are rough for a lot of people, but I get bored of hearing people going on about how hard things are for themselves. I go online to not think about things and to switch off my brain, I'm not wanting to hear about how Mary is switching off her fridge and having two duvets on her bed during the day.

I've noticed that people are getting almost competitive and trying to one up another about how hard off they are or how they aren't using heating, or how much they are trying to save. Has anyone else come across people like this?

Reactions: 31
I know that we are in a cost of living crisis and things are rough for a lot of people, but I get bored of hearing people going on about how hard things are for themselves. I go online to not think about things and to switch off my brain, I'm not wanting to hear about how Mary is switching off her fridge and having two duvets on her bed during the day.

I've noticed that people are getting almost competitive and trying to one up another about how hard off they are or how they aren't using heating, or how much they are trying to save. Has anyone else come across people like this?
Yes it’s like the poverty Olympics. I’m waiting for the inevitable go fund me to appear because someone has burned their house down floating about with a candlestick instead of putting the heating and lights on.

Yes, there’s someone on my feed constantly posting the temperature in her house, the daily cost of her energy, how little she’s using but how expensive it still is, etc.

I’m not unsympathetic, but things are tit for the majority of us right now. It’s not a competition of who has it the shittest, that would be bleeping depressing.

Edit - lol just went on Facebook and she’s just posted another photo of a digital thermometer and her smart meter 😭

Reactions: 20

The constant subtle posts from people on the beg, were all fooking skint & cold!

Reactions: 12
And also people have different circumstances. I saw a single woman I know posting about rising costs getting worse and would she freeze and get ill.. I’m sympathetic but how would a family of five feel and worry reading that..

Reactions: 8

Yes.
People need to remember, across the whole of Society that many people aren't struggling. They are perfectly fine. Those that are short of income or out of work etc ( and that's plenty of people) will have to tighten their belts..........
We've all had to do it before.
People forget ( when wages were about £100 take-home a week) that the food, gas, electric and petrol were all higher than now, in real terms. We managed. Things change & settle down again, new deals come out etc ...

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yes.
People need to remember, across the whole of Society that many people aren't struggling. They are perfectly fine. Those that are short of income or out of work etc ( and that's plenty of people) will have to tighten their belts..........
We've all had to do it before.
People forget ( when wages were about £100 take-home a week) that the food, gas, electric and petrol were all higher than now, in real terms. We managed. Things change & settle down again, new deals come out etc ...
Exactly, I know there are genuine cases out there where people are living in poverty and can't afford food and energy bills but in a lot of cases people just need to give up certain luxuries or manage money better. It's annoying because I've worked hard to get in a comfortable position financially and now this has set me back but hopefully it'll get better one day.

Reactions: 7
Exactly, I know there are genuine cases out there where people are living in poverty and can't afford food and energy bills but in a lot of cases people just need to give up certain luxuries or manage money better. It's annoying because I've worked hard to get in a comfortable position financially and now this has set me back but hopefully it'll get better one day.
It'll all settle down again , it was inevitable after all that's happened, but hey-ho. It's the usual story .....

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Personally, I like seeing people doing well so it does annoy me to think people are being guilted into pretending they're miserable too. There's a world of difference between the average person sharing a bit of personal happiness compared to, say, the likes of Mark Wright and Michelle Keegan who actively wipe people's noses in their obscene wealth. Not hard to differentiate between the two.

Reactions: 10
Totally agree on the poverty Olympics. We’re ok. Not well off but coping. Someone on my Fb said her gas was £20 a day! I asked what was she doing for it to be that bad and said our gas bill last month was £85. She jumped right down my throat, accused me of lying. Then asked how it was only £85. When I said simple things like closing doors etc (we have no children at home anymore) I got the sarcasm about having a child free house blah de blah. Im sorry but I’ve been through it. In the 90s when my kids were little I wasn’t working. Their dads wage was small. We were cold then. Im sorry she’s struggling but it’s not my fault 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Yes, there’s someone on my feed constantly posting the temperature in her house, the daily cost of her energy, how little she’s using but how expensive it still is, etc.

I’m not unsympathetic, but things are tit for the majority of us right now. It’s not a competition of who has it the shittest, that would be bleeping depressing.

Edit - lol just went on Facebook and she’s just posted another photo of a digital thermometer and her smart meter 😭
She’s going to make herself ill obsessing over it.

Reactions: 11

It feels kind of sad to agree but absolutely this, almost every time I go on social media I’m met with how much someone’s heating costs to put on.

I get it, yeah, it’s expensive, and at the moment I personally can afford to put my heating on, BUT it makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or I should be made to feel bad because I can warm my house. What’s the goal of their posts?

Reactions: 15
It feels kind of sad to agree but absolutely this, almost every time I go on social media I’m met with how much someone’s heating costs to put on.

I get it, yeah, it’s expensive, and at the moment I personally can afford to put my heating on, BUT it makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong or I should be made to feel bad because I can warm my house. What’s the goal of their posts?
I have been wondering about this as well. I don't know if it is for sympathy or just to almost show off in a way. There is a woman I know, she is rather well off, the family has got two cars, goes on holiday frequently, and always goes out, and then she is posting things about how she is not having her lights on until the evening to save money or she is switching off her fridge until a certain time of the day to save money, then she acts all smug about it when comment on her posts and they are usually competing to another about their measures to save power.

Feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I put on the heating and when I go online and read headlines and posts about people eating dog food or heating things up on the radiator. Just feeling like I'm going on a constant guilt trip when I go online about the cost of living crisis.

Reactions: 13
Feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I put on the heating and when I go online and read headlines and posts about people eating dog food or heating things up on the radiator. Just feeling like I'm going on a constant guilt trip when I go online about the cost of living crisis.
Not sure if you’ve read the tail end of the last thread but a lot of the stories online are total bollocks so just ignore them. Our media relies on a pay per view model now so will share the most outrageous shite for attention. No one is eating dog food unless there’s other intersections like serious mental health or some sort of sensory input need required. It was really clearly debunked on the last thread so please don’t feel as if this is normal or happening across the country.

The fucked up thing is morons like that are taking the spotlight away from real issues like kids without socks or shoes that fit & beds or enough nutritious food or a safe house to sleep in. All of those things are happening in this country but as per it’s the attention seekers who get in the papers.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.