Things that you are sick of seeing on social media #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think parents genuinely don't realise how much they are putting out there when they post online. I've said this before but I unfollowed a lot of friends a while back as I felt like I knew their kids better that I knew their parents. It feels wrong to know all kinds of personal details like how little Emily has anxiety and is struggling at school and how little Johnny has had the shits for a week when I only know their parents because we went to school together 30 years ago.
And you also know what school little Emily and Johnny go to because their parents post their school photos.

Reactions: 8
And you also know what school little Emily and Johnny go to because their parents post their school photos.
literally this! too busy exploiting them for likes/attention to consider that they're sharing private information online that the wrong person could easily find and take advantage of

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think parents genuinely don't realise how much they are putting out there when they post online. I've said this before but I unfollowed a lot of friends a while back as I felt like I knew their kids better that I knew their parents. It feels wrong to know all kinds of personal details like how little Emily has anxiety and is struggling at school and how little Johnny has had the shits for a week when I only know their parents because we went to school together 30 years ago.
This really struck home with me the other day. An acquaintance of mine brought her kids along to an event we attend, since it’s the holidays and they’re not in school. I had a bit of a chat with them, and realised that I already knew what school they went to, what years they were in, who their teachers were, their birthdays. That’s way too much info for an acquaintance/Facebook friend of their mum’s to know.

Reactions: 11
People doing TikTok’s saying for example “ew if you wear this item of clothing you have no fashion sense at all” then in the comments the creator will write “I do NOT believe this at all, you are entitled to wear what you want blah blah blah”. Well why the duck did you make the video in the first place you utter moron.

TikTok has been pissing me off a lot lately 😂
I would pretty much say everything on tiktok annoys me :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 7
When it’s someone’s wedding and there seems to be that one annoying friend/relative (like the bride’s brother’s girlfriend) who feels the need to provide a running commentary via Instagram stories, that the bride feels she has to share out of courtesy. The stories almost always include a picture of the annoying friend/relative with the bride, as if she’s the one walking down the aisle.

Just 2 days until Mr and Mrs Edgfield! Can’t wait!

24 hours until this one ties the not with her Prince Charming. You’ve been like a sister to me babe! Getting real now!

Can’t sleep! 12 hours until the Edgfield wedding!

The morning of! Starting with the champers early!

Wedding ready! So so happy for you hun!

PISS OFF!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Agree completely on this. Feeling v uncomfortable seeing a mum detail her child’s SEN experience. I feel bad for commenting as I’m not a SEN parent (yet? Mine is only little so arguably could just be undiagnosed, idk how it works tbh) but I don’t think hammering home the point how much your kid struggles / isn’t going to have the same journey or capabilities as their peers in every single post you have about them is doing anything good for anyone? I get that representation matters and talking to likeminded parents matter but surely there’s a better way to do that than sharing photographed examples of your child’s laboured handwriting to bleeping Facebook? And if it’s not that it’s a happy moment of normal childhood joy eg the swings then tainted by “you may not be up with your peers on reading/counting but your smile lights up the room darling ⭐“. Like wtf? Imagine writing this about our husbands - “you may not know where I store the baby wipes because you’re on another planet but you shine sweetie ⭐

Reactions: 11
Agree completely on this. Feeling v uncomfortable seeing a mum detail her child’s SEN experience. I feel bad for commenting as I’m not a SEN parent (yet? Mine is only little so arguably could just be undiagnosed, idk how it works tbh) but I don’t think hammering home the point how much your kid struggles / isn’t going to have the same journey or capabilities as their peers in every single post you have about them is doing anything good for anyone? I get that representation matters and talking to likeminded parents matter but surely there’s a better way to do that than sharing photographed examples of your child’s laboured handwriting to bleeping Facebook? And if it’s not that it’s a happy moment of normal childhood joy eg the swings then tainted by “you may not be up with your peers on reading/counting but your smile lights up the room darling ⭐“. Like wtf? Imagine writing this about our husbands - “you may not know where I store the baby wipes because you’re on another planet but you shine sweetie ⭐
I think children have their right to privacy online, especially as they aren't able to consent to what their parents are putting on. I'd have been absolutely mortified if my mum had posted on Facebook that I was having issues at school or documenting my medical issues! Growing up is hard enough without half the world knowing your problems.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It’s always such an echo chamber with SEN parents too. I’m severely (let’s say dyslexic) and a mum posted a handwritten page to a dyslexia group where the six year old had put a few letters backwards. All the mums were saying it looks like dyslexia and he should get tested- I commented saying I doubted it as most of the letters were written perfectly just from the perspective of someone who did grow up with dyslexia and got removed from the group 🤷🏻‍♀️:) I mean I might be wrong, but listen to my opinion instead of some random mum

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
It’s always such an echo chamber with SEN parents too. I’m severely (let’s say dyslexic) and a mum posted a handwritten page to a dyslexia group where the six year old had put a few letters backwards. All the mums were saying it looks like dyslexia and he should get tested- I commented saying I doubted it as most of the letters were written perfectly just from the perspective of someone who did grow up with dyslexia and got removed from the group 🤷🏻‍♀️:) I mean I might be wrong, but listen to my opinion instead of some random mum
Oh bless you, I’m sorry you had that experience and were booted. Tbh also disillusioned with parenting groups on Facebook - there’s always heavy handed moderating / hyper consumerism / uncomfortable axes to grind (usually about step children). It’s a yikes from me, you’re better off on tattle love 😂❤

• Haha
Reactions: 5
360 camera things at party events. Used to be photobooths but now its this 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Influencer: ‘Guuuuuyyyyss, I’m working on something SUPER exciting today, I wish I could tell you what it is but, eeeek! You’re not going to want to miss this.’

It’s going to be some tit clothes, isn’t it? And you’re going to make out that you designed them from scratch and made them with your own hands when we all know the most you did was pick some pretty colours 😂 Bore off

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Some of the followers of influencers (usually ones with massive followings) being familiar with them. Mrs Hinch has so many followers who call her ‘Soph’ and Stacey Solomon has loads that call her ‘Stace’. I even saw someone call the sister of one of them ‘Jem Jem’.

The shortening is one thing but the sweet affectionate nicknames for a stranger is not great in my opinion!

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I've been kicked out of FB run by parents because I'm not a parent but an adult with the condition itself. Nowhere did it say n the rules or group title that it's exclusively for parents.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I've been kicked out of FB run by parents because I'm not a parent but an adult with the condition itself. Nowhere did it say n the rules or group title that it's exclusively for parents.
And parents often project stuff on their kids that isn’t true. I used to say no at school when asked to read aloud as I was dyslexic and couldn’t do it very well, and my mum got from some forum that I had demand avoidance, that autism behaviour disorder, as I said no to the teacher 🙄

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
People complaining about other peoples spelling and grammar. The post was readable so why mention it? Some people use dictation software, Dyslexic or similar problems or English isn't their first language.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.