Things that frightened you as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pinhead from the Hellraiser movies

The Candyman

An episode of Strange but True about 2 girls who were possessed by a spirit who’s name was Bill, apparently. They played a hideous recording of the voice of Bill and it was horrible.

flushing the toilet at night. No idea why.

the thought of being chased or abducted.

Reactions: 10
Walking over bridges stays with me to this day, I get scared my legs will go maverick and walk off the bridge.
I’m like that with platforms at train stations

Pinhead from the Hellraiser movies

The Candyman

An episode of Strange but True about 2 girls who were possessed by a spirit who’s name was Bill, apparently. They played a hideous recording of the voice of Bill and it was horrible.

flushing the toilet at night. No idea why.

the thought of being chased or abducted.
I’m still scared of flushing the toilet at night. As a kid I used to think someone would get me whilst the toilet was flushing and no one would hear me shouting for help. Also my boyfriend always leaves the shower curtain pulled on, I go mad because I’m scared someone will jump out 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I had an irrational fear about what would happen to me if I didn’t get back to the lounge from the upstairs loo before the flush finished 😂😂 It was literally pull the chain and run/jump down the stairs as fast as I could.
I may or may not still do this from time to time, except running upstairs 😂😂 I mean I'm not confirming anything, just that I may or may not. My kids are going to catch me one day & tell everyone aren't they 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I was scared of the Simpson’s Halloween specials 😂
These terrified me as a child, even now I’m in my early twenties and if the Simpson Halloween episodes come on I have to turn them off. They still scare me😂.

The rain (!) I would worry it wouldn't stop and we would all be flooded. I used to write notes to God asking him to stop the rain!

Car washes, I thought they would malfunction and I would be stuck in there forever.
Are you me? I’ve never met anyone else who is scared of these things. If it rains very heavily I do still get scared and look for some where to climb the roof in case of a flood🙈. I also can’t use a car wash either lol. They still frighten me lol. Are you still scared of them?

back in the day I used to Joe weller and he reacted to this which brought up some deep memory as I had clearly buried it deep in my brain. I forgot how scary this was even now this is still scary to me.

Last edited:
back in the day I used to Joe weller and he reacted to this which brought up some deep memory as I had clearly buried it deep in my brain. I forgot how scary this was even now this is still scary to me.
I remember that bear rolling it’s eyes and sticking it’s tongue out. I forgot about the little Scots boy in the house running to rooms and turning the lights on and off.

Reactions: 3
I had an irrational fear about what would happen to me if I didn’t get back to the lounge from the upstairs loo before the flush finished 😂😂 It was literally pull the chain and run/jump down the stairs as fast as I could.
Also, the skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts, Jaws/great white sharks (still hate swimming out of my depth) and Daleks 😱😂
I had that fear - you had to flush, wash and run- if you didn’t get out by the end of the flush something was going to crawl out from under the bath (rather than a board there was a bleeping creepy curtain), I’m still a bit weary about flushing toilets now!

I had a reoccurring nightmare when I was 5-9
That giant tomatoes were jumping (they moved like a slow space hopper) down the garden path to kill my dad. I woke up crying so many times!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
B1709783-1811-4260-B6C5-1978E10114B5.jpeg

I couldn’t agree more.

Quite a few things jump out in the Tomb Raider II video game but this butler who follows you everywhere was horrid.

It was such a relief when a friend showed me how to lock him in the freezer.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
These terrified me as a child, even now I’m in my early twenties and if the Simpson Halloween episodes come on I have to turn them off. They still scare me😂.

Are you me? I’ve never met anyone else who is scared of these things. If it rains very heavily I do still get scared and look for some where to climb the roof in case of a flood🙈. I also can’t use a car wash either lol. They still frighten me lol. Are you still scared of them?

Haha, i haven't met anyone with my fears either!! I won't go in a car wash now. My husband doesn't like them in terms of scratching and damaging bodywork so luckily I don't have to endure them. I wouldn't go in one though.

I still get slightly panicked with heavy rain. And snow, unless I am at home I worry I will be stuck and not be able to get back to the kids etc.

Reactions: 1
There was thus episode of Goosebumps where the character wakes up with worms under their pillow. Was terrified of worms til like last year and I started gardening... I am 28. Lol

Reactions: 3
The outer limits program when it had the bogeyman on it my dad was working away I wasn't that young mum decided to let me watch it. Had to sleep in her bed that night. Although I think that was mums plan because I said I was too old to keep mum company

The show Knightmare on ITV in the late 80s early 90s? Having an older brother I didn’t get to turn it off.... it terrified me - the helmet with horns just seemed so unnecessary

Reactions: 7
View attachment 192558
I couldn’t agree more.

Quite a few things jump out in the Tomb Raider II video game but this butler who follows you everywhere was horrid.

It was such a relief when a friend showed me how to lock him in the freezer.
the rattling tray and the groan😩😩😩I used to run as far as I could around the mansion to get away and then he’d appear around the flipping corner

also that simpsons Halloween episode with the gremlin ripping the side of bus and no one believes Bart freaked me right out for a bit 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The yeti in the Ski Free game. Always made me jump as he appeared so quick!
download.png

Volcano’s 🙈 I used to have recurring dreams about lava running down my street and being trapped in my house. I was so upset when my mum and dad booked a family holiday to Tenerife I was sure there would be an eruption and we would die 🤣

Reactions: 2