Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pixipoppy

VIP Member
This thread has made me remember so much weird shit that was SO BLOODY SCARY to me as a child. Honestly though why was everything in the 90s so fucked up ๐Ÿ˜‚
This advert honestly terrified me. What is even happening! How is this an advert for a car:

Also vaguely remember some sort of late night music video that had a skeleton in a shower/bath/toilet? I turned it off as soon as it came on. Thought it was smack my bitch up at the time but its not that song. It was a dance song though from what I can remember.

Also the extended video for rock DJ freaked me out so much I remember seeing it one morning before school and it took me by surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

ChloChlo

VIP Member
I grew up on an estate and as long as I could remember, there was black gloss paint which seemed to have been thrown and then dried onto the pissy communal stairs. It seemed to make the shape of a hooded, hunched over figure. It was quite terrifying and still now as and adult dream I am walking up this old stairwell, see the spilt paint figure then running for my life as it materialises into a life form.

Any form of fungus and mould or things such as mushrooms growing in woods or sprouting potatoes.

I think I have said it already, but really old fashioned, in particular black and white cartoons. The ones that feature some anthropomorphic cat like character were especially freaky, we occasionally used to have to spend a very boring weekend at our grandparents as children and my nan would shove us, coats and all into the parlour room of their freezing, cold house to watch such creepy old cartoons on VHS to keep us quiet while my grandad watched the pools in the back room.

Their entire house used to scare me as a child. I sometimes used to go through my nans cookbooks to entertain myself, most of them were those really old recipes usually made from scraps in the 40s or 50s. I came across star gazing pie. I dont know why but I was terrified of the photograph of it, it actually made me feel sick too and became unhealthily fixated on the possibly my nan might cook it for us when we were there that I would work myself up into a frenzy over it. It didnt help that whenever I was naughty my mum used it to her advantage to threaten that she will send me over to my nanas and she will cook me a star gazing pie.

• Wow

CherryAcid

VIP Member
My sister once told me of the "nightmare people", basically if you thought about them at all they would come and take you in your sleep. No wonder I had night terrors.

• Wow

TJ90

VIP Member
A book they read to us in school called Room 13. The only thing that ever gave me nightmares as a kid.

totallytaz

Chatty Member
Chimneys. I always figured that if Father Christmas could come down them....anything could.
๐Ÿ˜ฑ
Thatโ€™s logical. That reminds me, my cousin and I used to look out of the window and one of the houses opposite had this chimney pipe would turn, as soon as it turned our way we would duck.

• Wow

Definitelyme

VIP Member
The Demon Headmaster.

This scene

I also was terrified of the thin man who was in one of those educational programmes you'd watch at school. My mum had to go in and tell them I was not to watch it anymore.
Just watched that clip. Fucking terrifying! Why would they show that to kids?!

• Heart

Tricham

Chatty Member
I was scared of Warwick Davies in Willow! No idea why.. i think it must have been the first time I ever saw a little person and for some reason it frightened me! Maybe I was onto something as he lives local and I know a couple of people who've had encounters with him and both say he's not a nice person at all..

• Wow

Chewycinema

Chatty Member
Atmosphere game! I had two older sisters that used to play it and it used to scare the crap out of me!!
My cousin (10 years older than me) had this as a teenager and I'd always run out the room screaming if it was ever getting played ๐Ÿคฃ
Atmosphere, the video for thriller and vampires/dracula were my biggest fear. I threw out my dads copy of Dracula ๐Ÿ˜‚
Weirdly enough I became a massive fan of buffy when I was around 9/10

Wifo1976

VIP Member
Ghost watch was bloody terrifying! We rewatched it recently and they kept talking about the glory hole......smirk.
Definitely Ghostwatch! I was about 16 and some friends and I watched together and we were all petrified! Very controversial at the time too as a young lad killed himself after watching it ๐Ÿ™

I was about 10 and went to the shops with my Aunty and saw a missing poster for a young girl who later turned out to be murdered. I was then terrified I was going to be abducted or murdered! I donโ€™t think it helped that my dad loved watching the news and Crimewatch etc.

Iโ€™m sure a similar film to the one with the frisbee and the pylon was shown in schools in the 80โ€™s? But involved some trainers and railway lines, Cheggers was in it I think? Horrendous! The police would come round and do a safety talk and petrify all the kids at the same time.

Last edited:

leon19

Thunder I was petrified. I have memorys from probably 3/4 years old sitting under the table curled up in a ball not moving and not talking when it would thunder i was that scared ๐Ÿ˜…

37BBL

VIP Member
I might be making this up or reliving a nightmare but I'm sure there was an advert warning women to be careful when ironing ๐Ÿคฃ and at the end was a closeup of a 'dead' doll on the floor with a singed, bashed-in head ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Was it 'stay' by Shakespears sister? It messed me up as a youngster ๐Ÿ˜‚ not helped by mum who said 'that's what the devil looks like' wtf mum
Guarantee it was this one. Scared me shitless too. I mentioned it on my reply earlier in this thread. The woman looks absolutely possessed.

Not sure why, but the advert with "BELLY'S GONNA GET YA!" used to freak me out as a child.

Also, the Goosebump's opening sequence where the woman on the billboard morphs into something that looks like Michael Jackson.

Did anyone play Titanic: Adventure Out of Time?
My siblings and I used to get really frustrated with it as we could never seem to progress.. turns out we only had the demo! :ROFLMAO: We didn't realise for, what felt like years! Anyway I must have been about 6 when I first played the demo. The characters and sound effects used to freak us all out!
View attachment 192679
Bought this for cheap on GOG.com a couple of years ago. A lot of odd looking characters on there for sure. Another game with FMV that was quite creepy was Phantasmagoria.