Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Top of the pops magazine. I used to love the freebies inside and collect the song lyrics.
Going to the video store (choices)on a Friday to pick a movie.
I miss magazines in general. I might have written some of this before, maybe even early on this thread, but goddam it I want to reminisce again.

i consumed magazines constantly from the age of about 8 when I got the beano each week till I left school at almost 18. I know I’m as responsible as anyone for their demise but it still makes me sad.

Talking of top of the pops magazine, we must shout out the OG of pop magazines, smash hits. I never loved those ones tho; found them a bit cheap and unsubstantial but they are still worth recognising. When I got into guitar music in early teens I started buying NME every week and did so religiously from about 04-07. I barely if ever missed an issue for those years, I loved that tradition. The frustration when it couldn’t be found and the buzz of seeing it on the shelf somewhere new. I also bought q or one called the word sometimes in those years if they had bands I liked in the issue.

I can also relate to the preteen girl ones. I think I had a shout subscription at some point. That and mizz were the gateway drug of those magazines. My favourite thing in mizz was the “cringe“ stories where different stories were rewarded different amounts of cash depending how embarrassing they were judged to be. I’m sure the vast majority if not all were made up. I knew a girl at school who claimed to get one in there like that.They always seemed to involve tripping and exposing your knickers to your “crush” in some way.
Then came the more ‘sophisticated’ like Sugar, Bliss which was one of the best. And J-17. at first I thought I would have to be 17 to read it , but it was more suitable for my 12 year old self the name just clever simple marketing to make me feel mature . These magazines are largely responsible for selling an unrealistic image of what my adult life , which I thought meant 18 onwards, would be like (confident, successful, affluent, stylish etc) but I don’t say that resentfully. They served a purpose and probably were quite informative about certain things. Misinformative as well it must be said, which really sticks at that age Eg who else was under the impression that tampons were supposed to be flushed and nbd? until about a year or two ago,aged 28 or 29, I didn’t know I shouldn’t be doing it. I distinctly remember their flush-ability repeatedly listed as a pro of using them.

now it's sad seeing those that remain turn into a shell of their former glory. the worst part of the nme’s death rattle stage wasnt that it was free or half as thick and dominated by ads, it was that it was forced to cover mainstream acts like Justin Bieber who it’s unimaginable would come close to a cover spot before. And it started including tv and films too. Basically it lost its niche and had to be more bland and generally appealing, so wasn’t the same magazine beyond the name.

i wonder what 13 year old girls read for the stories and sex education etc we had. Do they watch it on YouTube or God forbid, tik tok instead?!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I can also relate to the preteen girl ones. I think I had a shout subscription at some point. That and mizz were the gateway drug of those magazines. My favourite thing in mizz was the “cringe“ stories where different stories were rewarded different amounts of cash depending how embarrassing they were judged to be. I’m sure the vast majority if not all were made up. I knew a girl at school who claimed to get one in there like that.They always seemed to involve tripping and exposing your knickers to your “crush” in some way.
Then came the more ‘sophisticated’ like Sugar, Bliss which was one of the best. And J-17. at first I thought I would have to be 17 to read it , but it was more suitable for my 12 year old self the name just clever simple marketing to make me feel mature . These magazines are largely responsible for selling an unrealistic image of what my adult life , which I thought meant 18 onwards, would be like (confident, successful, affluent, stylish etc) but I don’t say that resentfully. They served a purpose and probably were quite informative about certain things. Misinformative as well it must be said, which really sticks at that age Eg who else was under the impression that tampons were supposed to be flushed and nbd? until about a year or two ago,aged 28 or 29, I didn’t know I shouldn’t be doing it. I distinctly remember their flush-ability repeatedly listed as a pro of using them.
Oh my god yes!! I used to read Mizz and bliss religiously too. I always read the cringe section and wondered how on earth some people even got into the Situations they did. Although that’s probably because most of them revolved around a boyfriend and i didn’t have one in high school 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
The Coca Cola yo-yos that you could get by collecting ring pulls off the cans!

Reactions: 1
Anyone remember the shop called Au Natural? It sold some right tat but I used to get all sorts from there! Little decorations for my room and things for friends’ birthdays etc. It was full of Playboy stationery and stuff. Remember Pucca? It was like a little cartoon character and they sold all sorts of merchandise. Oh and Punkyfish and Golddigga were all the rage. Ah memories.
I LOVED that store but forgot it existed until you mentioned it.

The Sabrina Teenage Witch magazine...LOVED it. https://www.google.com/search?q=sab...HTrKD50Q_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1200&bih=681&dpr=2

Glitterbabes products from Boots. Perhaps they didn't disappear, I just got older... lol.

There was a brand of handbags that people I went to school were obsessed with but I can't remember the name?! I always thought they were SO tacky.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Toffo’s! They were the NICEST toffees in the world. Used to get them all the time in the paper shops when I was a kid but they’ve disappeared now 😫

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Was it sugar that had that advice column that was clearly written by the magazine itself, all the letters in the same writing style, almost always with the phrase “...the lush lad I’d fancied for ages” and other bizarre turns of frase that no one really used 😂
Probably! Still, I thought it was a step up from Smash Hits and their phwoar! scorchin’ sizzlin’ summer style :ROFLMAO:

I do miss teen magazine culture, despite being cringe-worthy there was something endearing about it

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Groovy Chick & Forever Friends.
Macdonalds need to bring back the Smurf Happy Meal Toys, they must have made a fortune from people trying to collect them.

Mystic Meg

• Heart
Not read the thread so sorry if this has been mentioned, does anyone remember around Christmas probably about 10 years ago, there was videos going round about a man somewhere in Africa I think named Kony who apparently was making children fight in his army or something?? Wristbands went on sale to raise money to help free the children or something, was very bizarre!

Not read the thread so sorry if this has been mentioned, does anyone remember around Christmas probably about 10 years ago, there was videos going round about a man somewhere in Africa I think named Kony who apparently was making children fight in his army or something?? Wristbands went on sale to raise money to help free the children or something, was very bizarre!
Actually just googled it and there’s a whole Wikipedia page! Must have been more popular than I thought

Reactions: 4
Echo chocolate bars

Bliss magazine

National lottery tv shows like the question one

Good old family dinnerS

And homemade Yorkshire’s,I see all these roast dinner post on social media and 90% frozen veg and frozen yorkshires

Reactions: 5
Anyone remember Loopy Lass? You could get keyrings, mugs, stationery etc from Birthdays or Clintons.. I just remember having a ringbinder from the range and it had a pink fluffy handle and I was obsessed 😆
I had loads of Nutty Tart stuff! Think it was called Bang on the Door?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.