Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I always remember in the funfax filofax they had a page about scary things, and had about spontaneous combustion, with a picture of a pile of ash with a ladies leg (with shoe and sock on), it made me soooo scared it would happen to me for far too long :(

Reactions: 10
I remember ALL of these. I had that fun fax! And we watched through the dragon's eye at school. I think spooky lumberjack that we're the same age. (88 here) I loved the worst witch. What was the teachers name? Mrs Hardbroom?
I'm the opposite end of the 80's to you...The schools clearly got their use out of Through the Dragon's Eye - it was released in '89. Ahhh the good old days when they didn't move the curriculum goal posts on a yearly basis!

I've found these posts really interesting in terms of how accurately you can guess people's ages and how long some things were around for. You don't really realise that at the time because you just get older and move onto different things.
I was born before '88, but yeah they must have kept using it because I was too young in '89 to have seen it then, I must have watched it at school around 1991/2.

Also, Kes (1969! Even my mum watched it at school too I think).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Woolworths!!!! I still have , and my daughter who is 24 loves we 've still got her Groovy Chick Woolies kids duvet set!! I still have good old Woolies cds nursery rhymes, Julia Donaldson stories on cd... Simple maths CD s.... after a story she she she go to sleep to a cd. I teach in primary.... Not a single CD player or laptop with disk drive at my school so I cant copy them onto school server or memory stick .Technology great but even my daughter at 24 says her generation is the last to remember flip phones, dvds. She has a wall of dvds in the lounge... Xmas and bdays was write me a list dvds I can buy you. we 've had a few interesting chats about world and tech changes in her life. She remembers me doing my primary teaching cert when she was in primary and the dial up tone!!! She remembers being a teen before Facebook or internet on phones!! Really interesting chats we 've had... And how diff for her kids it will be!!!!!
I'm 36 this year and think my age group are the first generation to remember the really primitive teen social media. There was Teenchat.co.uk which was a chat room where the usual A/S/L would be asked but it was entirely faceless and there were all sorts of creeps on there. I also used the very primitive FaceParty and Face-pic - the latter was more for us Chav types. These were around long before the likes of Bebo and MySpace.

Then there was good old MSN chatting away while listening to tinny music blared from the PC speakers I had downloaded from Napster and Limewire. Sometimes I just played Rollercoaster Tycoon or Theme Hospital instead.

And as for 00s fashion, it was very bizarre. I think most of my "best" clothes had some sort of Chinese symbol or dragon on during my teens. I used to wear these awful 2 piece co-ord super skinny trousers and top from the local market which had various, tacky all over, loud prints on them, Chinese fayre, newspaper print, palm trees, bandana etc teamed up with my Nike air force 1s or Shox.
The 00s denim was always very dressy for us Chavs too, we wouldnt be seen with rips in our jeans back then. We wore shiny or coated denim, Evisu Jean's which were very popular disappeared off the face of the earth.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Have you seen the new Babysitters Club series on Netflix? I was worried it would be rubbish, but its absolutely perfect. They have really done the books justice, and modernised them too, but included so many little details. I hope they do another season!
I didnt even know this existed!

Thanks you have sorted my tuesday night!

I was going to mention Kes! It's a shame schools don't watch stuff like that these days.
We had to study Shirley Valentine for English at school in year 8. I remember it fondly, the teacher asked us all to head our work with the word "Clitoris". I also remember watching Bhaji on the beach, East is East and other classic northern numbers in school and was convinced at that age they were "educational" movies made for school. 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Did anyone see that tape about the girl that kept pigeons and their mum ended up cooking one for dinner? It was one of those vhs tapes like that dragons eye that you watched and then wrote about. A bit like Kes but it was a girl protagonist.

Also, who remembers the trend of pedal pushers/clam diggers (wtf was that name about?) with a strip of sari material at the bottom? I remember it so clearly because it was my last year at primary and I wore my best pedal pushers and blue floral satin shirt to the leavers assembly (with bright orange new balance trainers, they were a lot cheaper in those days). What a look. :ROFLMAO:

Oh and school book fairs! I discovered my favourite ever book from a book fair, I capture the castle.

I've been feeling ridiculously nostalgic for the late 90s/very early 00s. I've been watching films and things I vaguely remember or missed out on the first time around. I think the pandemic is getting to me. :l I think I might put our tv on wheels and sit on the carpet.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I always remember in the funfax filofax they had a page about scary things, and had about spontaneous combustion, with a picture of a pile of ash with a ladies leg (with shoe and sock on), it made me soooo scared it would happen to me for far too long :(
I remember that!!

Did anyone see that tape about the girl that kept pigeons and their mum ended up cooking one for dinner? It was one of those vhs tapes like that dragons eye that you watched and then wrote about. A bit like Kes but it was a girl protagonist.

Also, who remembers the trend of pedal pushers/clam diggers (wtf was that name about?) with a strip of sari material at the bottom? I remember it so clearly because it was my last year at primary and I wore my best pedal pushers and blue floral satin shirt to the leavers assembly (with bright orange new balance trainers, they were a lot cheaper in those days). What a look. :ROFLMAO:

Oh and school book fairs! I discovered my favourite ever book from a book fair, I capture the castle.

I've been feeling ridiculously nostalgic for the late 90s/very early 00s. I've been watching films and things I vaguely remember or missed out on the first time around. I think the pandemic is getting to me. :l I think I might put our tv on wheels and sit on the carpet.
You'll have to attach a massive painted black cardboard box to the back of the TV first, otherwise the effect just won't be the same 😁

• Haha
I had a “Book of the Unexplained” which had that exact photo in it. Also it featured a Spanish terracotta floor tile, which revealed after cleaning, a ghastly evil face - that scared me for years. I loved ghost stories as well, all that stuff.

Have you seen the new Babysitters Club series on Netflix? I was worried it would be rubbish, but its absolutely perfect. They have really done the books justice, and modernised them too, but included so many little details. I hope they do another season!
Yes! Been binge watching it today! I hope they re make sweet valley high too!

Try and get a video tape you have to wind back for seemingly hours as everyone sits around bored to get the real experience 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
What happened to Paul’s Boutique? It was only 10 or so years ago it was popular but I remember teens at the time being obsessed and I was confused as i found it to be quite flashy and tacky 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8

Ahh I used to have some white pedal pushers with a little blue daisy embroided at the bottom 😍

I’m the same, i’ve always felt like I’m longing for the 90’s/early 00’s back but I guess maybe that’s probably how everybody feels about the decade they grew up in 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes! Been binge watching it today! I hope they re make sweet valley high too!

Try and get a video tape you have to wind back for seemingly hours as everyone sits around bored to get the real experience 😂
Oh yes I said this the other day, I loved the 90s Sweet Valley High series, but a new one would be fab!
Another show i miss is California Dreams, loved the theme tune!

What happened to Paul’s Boutique? It was only 10 or so years ago it was popular but I remember teens at the time being obsessed and I was confused as i found it to be quite flashy and tacky 🤣
OMG yes the camo jackets with all the patches on.

Judy Blume books “are you there god it’s me margret “ felt so naughty reading about her practicing kissing her pillow and starting her period 🤣. Putting a piece of sellatape over a cassette to stop you taping over your favorite songs. Wearing fluorescent odd yellow and green socks. Sleeves of plastic containing about 10 pairs of Barbie shoes. Clive James on television on a Sunday night followed by spitting image. Short hair with a “whisp” and a bead on it (🙋‍♀️) horrendous swimming caps the teachers said were compulsory. Whiting your sand shoes before PE or you d get detention..I could sit here forever 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Does Sun In still exist? I wanted my hair to be light blonde so much but my mum wouldn’t let me dye it so I used this so much to the point where my hair all snapped off 🙈 I now just dye my hair blonde as I should have done from the beginning

Reactions: 7
Does Sun In still exist? I wanted my hair to be light blonde so much but my mum wouldn’t let me dye it so I used this so much to the point where my hair all snapped off 🙈 I now just dye my hair blonde as I should have done from the beginning
My mum would not let me use Sun in, I improvised with lemon juice on holiday one year, it worked!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.