Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to watch Baby Looney Tunes everyday after primary school back in the day, but for some reason no one else I knew ever watched it. Only the original Looney Tunes. They were all missing out!

Reactions: 5
Campino sweets and Ice cream flavoured chewits. I can confirm lollypop men and women exist in my town to the person that asked haha. Also, I wonder where the sweet van that sold fags, milk, bread and essentials that used to drive round my hometown when I was a little girl disappeared to. Did anyone else have that shop van drive round the area they grew up in?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Campino sweets and Ice cream flavoured chewits. I can confirm lollypop men and women exist in my town to the person that asked haha. Also, I wonder where the sweet van that sold fags, milk, bread and essentials that used to drive round my hometown when I was a little girl disappeared to. Did anyone else have that shop van drive round the area they grew up in?
My home didn't but my nan's did 10 minutes away 😂

Pop Idol and the shock (as an 11 yr old girl in love with him) that Will Young was gay.
PopStars The Rivals and that super sweet fizzy can drink that advertised it... I can’t remember the name but always wanted them!
Everyone being scared of the Millennium Bug / Y2K
Those Apple computer monitors that had different colour acrylic backs that you could see all the wires through.
how expensive “flat screen TVs” were when they first came out
White noise on the tv when you lost reception
The excitement of a cordless landline but you had to pull an aerial up to use it
Answer phone machines - recording your greeting on the little cassette inside
Playing POLO / bulldog / 40:40 He
French skipping
Feeling dead hard when you got a cherry brandy / cider lolly from the ice cream van
Betty Spaghetti dolls
Spirograph
Never getting a Mr Frosty
“Get Set” craft kits.... make your own mosaic picture, chocolate making, candle making, make your own Egyptian statue... basically anything that would fill my Mum with dread at the mess that was about to be created
Argos, Freeman’s and Next catalogues (circling everything in the Argos one in the lead up to Christmas)
The excitement of playing on the motorised cars in ToysRUs
Toys R Us! There’s millions of Jeffries all under one roof....
The Worst Witch
1991 baby?!

I'm remembering more now. It's crazy what you forget with time.
The dial up tone waiting to connect to the Internet
Your Mum needing to use the phone to yap to your Auntie for an hour so having to come off of the Internet
Climbing trees and playing kerbie and chap door run "chappy" (only got caught the once as well, rebel)
Tiny polly pockets no bigger than a lego brick before they made them bigger and you could dress them
Chinese style fans and wallpaper, anything written in Chinese being trendy basically. My bedroom wallpaper was blue and purple with silver Chinese symbols that probably said "twit" and I wouldn't have had a clue
Wild House on TV after school
Saturday night TV went something like:
Hot Spot
Noel Edmonds Fun House
Blind Date
Michael Parkinsons chat show
Family Fortunes

Wipeout on PlayStation one. I don't know if anyone remembers that game but it was the first time I heard The Prodigy as their song was on it
When Dot helped Ethel die in Eastenders which is such a random one for me to remember hahaha
Hearing Wonder Wall by Oasis for the first time and it being my first song I ever learnt the lyrics to
Doing handstands at playtime in the summer in a checkered dress on the school field and singing, "Look for the longest, un, deux, trois" - I was just telling my son about this when I dropped him off at school this morning :( where did all this beautiful innocence go?! Anyway!
Not having computers at school then getting our first computer suite just as I was about to leave the juniors and being one of the first classes to get to use them
Paint (on the computer) and Neopets
I'll probably lie awake now and remember loads more as I can't switch off and it's almost 3am 😩

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
1991 baby?!

Your Mum needing to use the phone to yap to your Auntie for an hour so having to come off of the Internet
Climbing trees and playing kerbie and chap door run "chappy" (only got caught the once as well, rebel)
Tiny polly pockets no bigger than a lego brick before they made them bigger and you could dress them
Chinese style fans and wallpaper, anything written in Chinese being trendy basically. My bedroom wallpaper was blue and purple with silver Chinese symbols that probably said "twit" and I wouldn't have had a clue
Hot Spot
Noel Edmonds Fun House
Blind Date
Family Fortunes

Wipeout on PlayStation one. I don't know if anyone remembers that game but it was the first time I heard The Prodigy as their song was on it
When Dot helped Ethel die in Eastenders which is such a random one for me to remember hahaha
Hearing Wonder Wall by Oasis for the first time and it being my first song I ever learnt the lyrics to
Doing handstands at playtime in the summer in a checkered dress on the school field and singing, "Look for the longest, un, deux, trois" - I was just telling my son about this when I dropped him off at school this morning :( where did all this beautiful innocence go?! Anyway!
Not having computers at school then getting our first computer suite just as I was about to leave the juniors and being one of the first classes to get to use them
I'll probably lie awake now and remember loads more as I can't switch off and it's almost 3am 😩
Literally my childhood! I bloody loved anything with a Chinese symbol on 😂! Use to love the S Club 7 TV ( S Club Miami and the like) shows as well, had them all on tape!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Decent TV - looking forward to avoiding social media once Love Island starts. Absolute tit and sums up what’s wrong with a society obsessed with looks and likes 😒 Stop making stupid narcissistic people famous.

Can you tell I’m not a fan 🧐

• Heart
Reactions: 11
1991 baby?!

Hot Spot
Noel Edmonds Fun House
Blind Date
Family Fortunes

1990! But yes I loved anything with a Chinese symbol. I must dig out some photos and ask somebody who speaks the language whether I was strolling around with a rude word or a takeaway order emblazoned on me!

• Haha
On the opposite ...One thing that QUICKLY needs to disappear is Fuckin ‘Ryan’s bastard toy review’ 🤬

Reactions: 7
The Animaniacs
Pinky and The Brain
Taz
Zzzap!
Alphabet Castle
Scooby Doo (Where Are You?)
Rainbow
Hey Arnold
CatDog
Ren and Stimpy
Cow and Chicken
Two Stupid Dogs
Rocko’s Modern Life
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Doug

I watched a lot of Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon in the 90s. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Where do you get your root beer and what brand is it? I grew up in North America where many brands were available. I miss it. I have found a canned version in Sainsburys, but it’s not very good imho.
You can get a 6 pack in Asda for like 1.70 that's quite nice!

Reactions: 1
Phone boxes
Video shops
TV guides - the only people I know who have one are my grandparents.
Penny for the Guy on November 5th (not seen anyone with a guy since I was a child and I’m almost 30)
Lollipop men / ladies (I live in fairly Central London so I’m sure this contributes, my husband says they’re definitely not extinct)
My neighbour is a lollipop man, so they still exist!!! Oh and we have a working phone box at the end of our road! I'm starting to think either my town isn't very modern or I'm still living in the past 😂😂

• Haha
Did anyone else ever have the white terry’s chocolate orange called the smasher with multi coloured bits in. Wish they’d bring that back

Bath pearls - at least that's what I think they were called. I'm sure you can probably still get them but I haven't seen them in years.

Reactions: 16
Going to show my old age..
Getting on a bus for 5p for upto 4 stops and 10p into town
5 and 10p mixes from the corner shops
Fetching my mum cigarettes with a note when I was about six 🤣 from the shop
And actually going to the shop on my own when I was five and crossing main roads
My dad installing a lock on the dial home phone so I couldn’t use it 🤣
Reserving calls to friends parents phones from the phone boxes, and the operator asking ‘ will you take a reserve call’
Clockhouse at C&A
Batter bits from the chippy
Buying a bottle of cider for 89p at 14 and not being asked for ID 🤣
City centre pubs that closed at 11 on a Saturday and 10.30 on a sunday
Nightclubs
Having to get dressed up like the dogs dinner to get into nightclubs as there was a dress coat and all men had to wear collars and ties to get in
Kookai
Emus pink windmill
Grotbags 🤣
Why don’t you... just switch off the tv and do something more interesting instead 🤣
Only having three channels to watch on tv and being estastic when channel four was launched
Leaving the key under the door mat or having it on a piece of string on the door so you could grab it through the letterbox
Oh I could be here all night ... I’m that old lol 🤣🤣
We have got to be the same age?! Have I finally found someone my age? 😂 my dad put a lock on the phone too! Remember when shops weren’t open on a Sunday as well?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Bath pearls - at least that's what I think they were called. I'm sure you can probably still get them but I haven't seen them in years.
Ooh they used to be in jars like sweets in Body Shop and you could pick and mix the colours! Nearly broke your neck slipping on the oil in the bath after you used them, probably why they don’t make them anymore!

Reactions: 7
Ooh they used to be in jars like sweets in Body Shop and you could pick and mix the colours! Nearly broke your neck slipping on the oil in the bath after you used them, probably why they don’t make them anymore!
They do make them - I had to Google the name earlier - they're just not found as commonly as they were.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.