The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are peoples thoughts on the HS2 NE being scrapped?. A friends gf has spent the last few yrs relocating wildlife from the proposed route. What an inordinate waste of time/money.
Better stop the waste now. It was always a waste of time and money. The whole project could have been spent upgrading the whole UK network and reopening some lines. We are are small island, high speed isn't all that necessary

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Better stop the waste now. It was always a waste of time and money. The whole project could have been spent upgrading the whole UK network and reopening some lines. We are are small island, high speed isn't all that necessary
I don't advocate every single line that ever existed but has since been closed, being reopened.

However there are a good number of schemes that would make a real difference to those communities cut off in the 50's, 60's and even 70's.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I don't advocate every single line that ever existed but has since been closed, being reopened.

However there are a good number of schemes that would make a real difference to those communities cut off in the 50's, 60's and even 70's.
Completely agree, if we want to “level up” we need to improve accessibility to communities

The problem being a lot of the old station houses are now cafés or cutesy Airbnbs.
I don’t think that’s a big deal in the scheme of the need, I’ve worked in development. They could compulsory purchased if essential or new reproduced elsewhere (preferable!).

Up north, many will just be derelict because there is no market.

Reactions: 7
Personally I think HS2 was a complete waste, especially knowing how much government consultants get paid! They need to invest in the North instead of encouraging people to work in London. They need to get those poor and deprived areas with little work help and encourage business to have offices up North, there is no need to it all to be down south.

Reactions: 15
Personally I think HS2 was a complete waste, especially knowing how much government consultants get paid! They need to invest in the North instead of encouraging people to work in London. They need to get those poor and deprived areas with little work help and encourage business to have offices up North, there is no need to it all to be down south.
That's literally what the levelling up agenda is to be fair.

Reactions: 1
Where I live is right next to the hs2 well where it would be. They'v knocked down houses, trees, wild life, they are digging up the city centre for the tracks. Everywhere is an absolute mess because of it, however it has made a tit tonne of jobs and they are getting paid a decent amount. Some people are on double the pay they were previously getting.

Reactions: 5
That's literally what the levelling up agenda is to be fair.
But it needs to be more acton less flouncy documents and narratives. They should never had started HS2, they should have ploughed money into the North years ago and with post covid working from home roles, people can work from anywhere. Encouraging people to travel to get better jobs juts pushes prices up in those areas forcing people who grew up there out.

Reactions: 5
Completely agree, if we want to “level up” we need to improve accessibility to communities
There are about three rail schemes i can think of in the SE that should be done. Apart from that more should be done in Devon, Cornwall, Wales, the Midlands, NE and NW UK.

The Welsh Government are continually dithering on a new, much needed north-south rail link in Wales, why?

London still wrongly receives the Lions share of investment.

Sadiq Khan whinging about TFL services having to be cut by a fifth if ANOTHER bail out isn't forthcoming.

So what! Khan needs to understand there is more to the needs of UK transport than just continually bailing out a badly managed TFL. Why should local and rural communities see their services cut further just to subsidise London.

As I've said before. If Khan wants more money for TFL, the best way is to start introducing more rigorous enforcement of people actually paying for their journeys. There have been many times now that I could gave gotten away with not paying - if I was that way inclined.

TFL don't even rigorously enforce ticket checks on the new Elizabeth Line - a line that is still not complete and has cost us billions so far. There are many barrierless stations in which to cheat the system.

Why should Khan get another X billions just to allow a rather lax TFL to carry on as usual.

Edit: I live in the SE, however strongly agree that most of the rail budget should be spent elsewhere in the UK.

Last edited:
My shopping delivery didn’t turn up. I managed to reorder from a different supermarket and the delivery was missing a quarter of the items!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Bias 'MyLondon' playing the violin as to what will happen if TFL isn't bailed out again.

The UK's needs are more than just what London wants!

What about the other areas of the UK that has public transport still stuck in the 70's and 80's?

The sheer arrogance of Tube Drivers (egged on by the RMT) also highly annoys me. They are already more than well remunerated for the work they do through pay, perks and actual hours worked. Bringing London to a standstill through strikes if their demands aren't met. They continually seem to think they are deserved of ever more, even over those who drive buses - whom don't make the same annual demands or annoy passengers through regular strikes. Bus drivers get my respect, tube drivers don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Bias 'MyLondon' playing the violin as to what will happen if TFL isn't bailed out again.

The UK's needs are more than just what London wants!

What about the other areas of the UK that has public transport still stuck in the 70's and 80's?

The sheer arrogance of Tube Drivers (egged on by the RMT) also highly annoys me. They are already more than well remunerated for the work they do through pay, perks and actual hours worked. Bringing London to a standstill through strikes if their demands aren't met. They continually seem to think they are deserved of ever more, even over those who drive buses - whom don't make the same annual demands or annoy passengers through regular strikes. Bus drivers get my respect, tube drivers don't.
Tube drivers get paid a ridiculous amount of money considering their role. There is very little skill unless something goes wrong. I am sure it is a role that could be done driverless.

TFL needs to be able to keep itself afloat. It charges enough for tickets, deal with the ticket evaders. I work in London and except for the barriers which are open a lot of the time I haven’t had my ticket inspected since before the pandemic and even then it was maybe 3 times a year. I reported a ticket evader who got my train every day, they basically told unless they witness him (which they did) there was nothing they could do while I paid £3k for the same ticket!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
My electricity bill is higher than my heating / hot water bill. How does that even happen? This is the first time in my life I've ever seen this. Electricity bills are generally much lower than heating bills all throughout the year. I only use the oven and washing machine and my energy consumption has not changed at all. It's simply this increase in electricity rates that is messing the whole thing up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
My electricity bill is higher than my heating / hot water bill. How does that even happen? This is the first time in my life I've ever seen this. Electricity bills are generally much lower than heating bills all throughout the year. I only use the oven and washing machine and my energy consumption has not changed at all. It's simply this increase in electricity rates that is messing the whole thing up.
Mine too. When my fix finishes next week they are saying my gas will be £22 and Electric £83. Not sure if it's usually more than the gas

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I can't even begin to imagine the disaster it would have been if COVID and the energy crisis had hit right after Lehman in 2009-2010, 10 years prior. The thought of it is scary,

Reactions: 1
Tube drivers get paid a ridiculous amount of money considering their role. There is very little skill unless something goes wrong. I am sure it is a role that could be done driverless.

TFL needs to be able to keep itself afloat. It charges enough for tickets, deal with the ticket evaders. I work in London and except for the barriers which are open a lot of the time I haven’t had my ticket inspected since before the pandemic and even then it was maybe 3 times a year. I reported a ticket evader who got my train every day, they basically told unless they witness him (which they did) there was nothing they could do while I paid £3k for the same ticket!
The base salary for a Tube Driver in London is £55,011 a year. This compares to around £51k a year for a driver on the national rail network.

The £55k a year is for a 36 hour week and 43 days (six weeks) paid holiday a year (an average of 28 days for us 'plebs' in the outside world).

A part time driver still earns a respectable £25k a year for around 16-18 hours a week.

A part time tube driver earns more than a full time London Bus Driver - who are on around £24k a year.

Free travel for driver and spouse on the TFL network.

Final salary pensions STILL offered to new starters. Retirement age is 60, or reduced pension from 50. How many companies still offer these retirement perks in the private sector? (ANSWER: Next to none.)

Entry to the role is a closed shop, entry was restricted to internal applicants only, due to the unions kicking off. No external applicants have been taken on since 2008. How is this right, or not discriminatory against those not already employed in the sector?

The role has also become somewhat easier over the years due to the increased use of technology. On many lines it is now simply a case of pushing a button to start the train, and another to open and close the doors. Technology essentially does the rest, drive, control speed, signalling and stop the train at the station.

Tube Drivers are now coming across as exceptionally greedy. Their pay and perks exceed many of those they transport and even of those on the rest of the rail network. Yet they are still planning to strike for even more money.

To be honest they can F off.

Full automation can't come quick enough as far as I am now concerned.

As you have also correctly stated, TFL lose a fortune in fare evasion. Sadiq fails to mention this when he continually slates the Government for not being forthcoming at automatically bailing out TFL with yet another few billions. He is more than happy for the rest of the UK to continue subsidising this shambles of an organisation.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Does this make anyone else really panic about money 😬
Yea I'm worried. I'm expecting it to be a lot higher than £105 as I'm currently paying £85 and have a problem with my electric not being registered so not currently paying for that!! So it's already a lot higher than the £22 gas quote, plus I'll have electric arrears on top 😭😭 I've escalated my complaint about the electric

• Sad
Reactions: 3
We finding the same electric more than gas.
We have 3 tvs drier electric oven and hob.
Only heating is gas. We have electric heaters in lounge/ diner we use sparingly
When we were in lockdown I assumed was fact we all home all time.
But electric stayed high when they in school.
Electric is higher than gas for us.
I think electric maybe more expensive than gas.
I'm constantly telling kids put a jumper on and switch lights off.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.