The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
NB: The article was being discussed by the Alaskan prepper in the corner . He has a channel on youtube.

But the experts said inflation in the US was going to be "transitory" after all. The dollar being taken off the gold standard in the 1970s was also "temporarily"- only that now been more then 50 years . 🤪

Reactions: 5
New narrative on inflation. Do they really think people will believe this?

View attachment 868069
When you say the economy is being deliberately crashed people always ask "for what reason, why would they do that, it serves them no purpose" They don't seem to see all the articles that show how much richer the already mega rich get when the economy is crashed. The great depresion was on a huge scale.

Reactions: 7
How is inflation good for you?

Prices go up meaning you have less to spend and just fuels demands for wage increases to compensate.

It is a vicious circle.
It's not a good thing- but this is the second article that I've seen that says the opposite.

Reactions: 1
To be honest, and I’m probably gonna make myself sound really dumb here, but I barely understand what inflation is to begin with. Who decides whether it goes up or down? Just a silly man made concept designed to keep the paupers in their place it seems.

Reactions: 4
The problem is everything's on rise at once although house prices cooked slightly we never want to move.
Read one article saying rise in inflation could cost as much as 1k extra a year.
Of course all these % are relative to how much we use of each we all use different so hard to Quantity a total monetary figure we be worse off per year.
I say with some certainty that council tax will rise by least 5% in April , energy will keep rising and the national insurance increases in April will also hit us.

Crisps and soft drinks were low today aldis visit.
Also my local cheap shop one below used be pound world been having visible gaps on things I regular buy washing tablets and ceasar chicken and turkey carton my dog doesn't like any other flavours.

Another depressing thought how much earnings have rise keep up with rises

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
People will cut down on what they buy, I read an article today about fizzy drinks and crisps how people are turning to cheaper alternatives (this will be the case for us too); reduction in sales for the bigger brands.

However, this could have also been the fact that certain goods weren't available do people went for alternatives... But like I said it stands for us personally. What I see happening next is the packets getting smaller with chocolates, crisps even cans of fizzy drinks, probably more things.

People will cut down on what they buy, I read an article today about fizzy drinks and crisps how people are turning to cheaper alternatives (this will be the case for us too); reduction in sales for the bigger brands.

However, this could have also been the fact that certain goods weren't available do people went for alternatives... But like I said it stands for us personally. What I see happening next is the packets getting smaller with chocolates, crisps even cans of fizzy drinks, probably more things.
I agree, though recent packets of crisps I have bought have had about 6 crisps in 🤣 If they start putting less in there's no point buying them ☹

Reactions: 6
To be honest, and I’m probably gonna make myself sound really dumb here, but I barely understand what inflation is to begin with. Who decides whether it goes up or down? Just a silly man made concept designed to keep the paupers in their place it seems.
In simple terms it’s just the rate at which prices on goods have risen in comparison to the average wage. So if inflation rises you will need more of your wage to buy those goods.

Your not dumb for not understanding it. I did a degree in economic development and I still get confused by economic terms 😌

• Heart
Reactions: 12
In simple terms it’s just the rate at which prices on goods have risen in comparison to the average wage. So if inflation rises you will need more of your wage to buy those goods.

Your not dumb for not understanding it. I did a degree in economic development and I still get confused by economic terms 😌
Thank you for explaining it!

Reactions: 2

I agree with this totally although I am not a slave to branded items with exception of coke.

Aldi nuttoka hood Nutella substitute.
Sainsbury and waitrose cereal as good as Kelly's.
I buy own brand nappies, wipes, ketchup/ beans/ cleaning products/ crisps, squash ect.
With frozen I do favour branded for fish and chicken but with supermarket branded veg and chips.

This last year we massively cut back on juice and pop and offered 3 or 4 varieties squash.
We cut back on buying biscuits/ crisps and cakes and I always have cheap boring biscuits that last ages like bourbons, custard creams/ digestives/ oaties and biscoffi if the kids are hungry they will eat it.
I also offer other boring snacks so rice cakes/ crackers/ pretezels; rice thins / popcorn/ bread sticks dried nuts and fruit as well as some tinned and frozen fruit or toast.

I do need to do a big food shop in December as Jan a long low paid month and long 6weeks between pay days.
But I can't afford to massively stockpile snacks/ treats and meats.
I of course have xmas treats box been buying 1 thing a week to add to it to spread the costs and the special days xmas eve/ xmas day/ boxing day/new years we will have nice meats and party food im on about the everyday.
Not told the family yet as depends what offers and reductions I find but we may need to eat more meat free meals to reduce costs.

What are peoples thoughts on the HS2 NE being scrapped?. A friends gf has spent the last few yrs relocating wildlife from the proposed route. What an inordinate waste of time/money.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
What are peoples thoughts on the HS2 NE being scrapped?. A friends gf has spent the last few yrs relocating wildlife from the proposed route. What an inordinate waste of time/money.
I personally think that HS2 is a huge waste of money. It would have been better to have paid out to re-open many of the Beeching lines.

However, Johnson did promise that they would have better rail links in order to level up. Unsurprisingly, he's broken that promise as he doesn't live in the north so it won't effect him.

Reactions: 15
Whilst I absolutely agree on a programme to improve rail infrastructure in the north the entire project was such such a gravy train and waste of money!

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.