The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

New thread for everything food, energy, transport, jobs, housing related

Reactions: 6
I’m catching up from the previous thread and it’s good to know I’m not the only one feeling really worried about this winter. Does anyone else feel like the government are massively in denial in order to prevent us from panicking? Especially given the petrol situation?

what do we genuinely believe will happen in the next few months? I’m glad I’ve got lots of candles and warm clothes to prevent me from needing toturn on heating / as a supply in case supply is down.

Reactions: 16
I’m catching up from the previous thread and it’s good to know I’m not the only one feeling really worried about this winter. Does anyone else feel like the government are massively in denial in order to prevent us from panicking? Especially given the petrol situation?

what do we genuinely believe will happen in the next few months? I’m glad I’ve got lots of candles and warm clothes to prevent me from needing toturn on heating / as a supply in case supply is down.
The government is entirely in denial about any of the problems normal people are facing.

Did you see that Tory MP complaining about how hard it is to live on 82k salary? bleeping patronising.

And that's in a normal state, if the economy crashes I have absolutely no faith Rishi has any idea how to fix it, he's completely out of his depth.

• Angry
Reactions: 23
The government is entirely in denial about any of the problems normal people are facing.

Did you see that Tory MP complaining about how hard it is to live on 82k salary? bleeping patronising.

And that's in a normal state, if the economy crashes I have absolutely no faith Rishi has any idea how to fix it, he's completely out of his depth.

I agree. It seems absolutely ludicrous to me that people are faced with having to choose whether to heat their homes, or put food on the table. Neither of which should be a choice anybody living in a first world country should have to make. The government are completely out of touch with the tough decisions the people in their country are up against

Reactions: 15

I just don’t understand any of it. I’m currently on a pay freeze and have been for a considerable amount of time and these comments I find so distressing. I wish the government would see how hard I work and I still feel as if I’m going no where :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6
The current governerment is only interested in making money for themselves and their donors not in improving anyones life as a whole.

Reactions: 22
I was doing my food shopping last night on the app. 73 items came to over £100. No goodies, just meat, cupboard stuff, bit of fruit, freezer bits.. Had to take some off to get it down to under £100 because I just cannot afford that. I didnt even have toilet rolls or any house hold bits on - was literally just food. Going to buy some more of them teddy bear fleece duvet sets that you guys were talking about in the last thread. Me & my kids have 1 set each but I'm going to get another for when its in the wash and we can still keep warm.

I really do feel like we are on the way to another recession. I can't see it going any other way with Bojo and Co.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Well this is the government that advised us to sing happy birthday whilst washing our hands to deal with the initial outbreak of Coronavirus. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was going into complete lockdown. So wouldn't put it past them to be in some sort of denial.

Reactions: 18
Well this is the government that advised us to sing happy birthday whilst washing our hands to deal with the initial outbreak of Coronavirus. Meanwhile, the rest of the world was going into complete lockdown. So wouldn't put it past them to be in some sort of denial.
And left the borders open so everyone and their dog could come in while all other countries blocked borders as best as they could.
Don’t even get me started on the happenings with that Indian variant or I swear I’ll never stop talking about it

Reactions: 22
Having a look at the news and I've seen an article about panic buying toilet roll etc. Has nothing been learnt by the media? Why do they do this knowing it will create panic and people will then go out and buy it all when in reality there's no need to do that. Infuriates me. Prices are rising and people are stressed enough without the added 'we might run out of toilet roll'

Reactions: 12
Having a look at the news and I've seen an article about panic buying toilet roll etc. Has nothing been learnt by the media? Why do they do this knowing it will create panic and people will then go out and buy it all when in reality there's no need to do that. Infuriates me. Prices are rising and people are stressed enough without the added 'we might run out of toilet roll'
The media is owned by the rich. Thats why they do it. If people panic buy it pushes prices up & they get to reap the profits. The people that panic buy are absolute idiots and play into their hands every time! Like when they panic bought all the fuel then had the cheek to complain on facebook & the like when stations put the prices up. A lot of the time people panic buy, because they see other people panic buying. Some people man, dumb fucks!

Reactions: 16
Gets clicks

That's all they care about

Reactions: 13
I'm feeling slightly less worried than I was in the previous thread, as I've just had a remortgage quote through and the money I'm saving on those monthly payments will offset the increased energy bills so hopefully my monthly outgoings won't increase by too much. Still a bit worried through. My partner usually works abroad in the winter for the ski season and with Covid and Brexit it's still really uncertain, the company he usually works for haven't even started applications yet and he usually applies in early summer! It's a really good money maker for us as he gets a good wage and has very few outgoings so feeling concerned about the effect of having another winter where he needs to find a job here where he most likely won't earn as much and will probably be miserable all season :ROFLMAO: plus I spend more with him here as he eats more and also puts the heating on more!

• Heart
Reactions: 8

I don't believe they are in denial, they know exactly what they are doing, as do the media. Every recession makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.

They have made us into a society that lives day to day, paycheck to paycheck. They made people laugh at those like me who are old school and know just how many things can go wrong, be it power cuts, fuel shortages, snowed in, strikes, anything can stop the supply chain. To make you laugh at people like me they showed you prepping programs and picked the idiots to film rather than the older generation who learnt how to get through harsh times.

Everyone get to your cheap shop ( B&M have loads, as does eBay ettc) and get the teddy bedding, get fleece onesies even dressing up fleece onesie ( should be a few in the shops due to Halloween
. As a kid we had to sit under blankets and having to come out from under the blankets was awful, but today we don't have to do that with fleece etc .. we can live normally put an oversize fleece over your clothes. I did this a few years back when I didn't have any money. I could not put my heating on and didn't have carpets etc as just moved here and the floor was concrete. fleeces made everything bearable and didn't have to be thick. So if you have some spare money go get you and the kids some fluffy bedding and fleece all in ones. If you don't have money get on the free sites and ask. loads giving away fancy dress stuff at the moment clearing out what their kids grew out of.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Just to say thank you for all recommending the teddy bedding, I've just ordered my son some and myself a throw for my bed or when on the sofa. Have so far avoided putting the heating on but the mornings are getting so cold.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
What do you mean? People panic buying toilet roll again or in the past?

What do you mean? People panic buying toilet roll again or in the past?
The article I saw basically said people will start to panic buy it again now because of supply issues/rising energy costs (can't remember it word for word and now can't find it but that was the jist of it)

How come there's a shortage of Chef's at the moment? Is it because it's a stressful job and since the pandemic people thought duck it?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
How come there's a shortage of Chef's at the moment? Is it because it's a stressful job and since the pandemic people thought duck it?
Potentially but also they may have gotten other jobs and realised that they could have a better quality of life doing something else. Cheffing is so demanding on your time - long shifts, six day weeks, very little family time. Might also be because of the pandemic there weren’t as many young people starting out in kitchens so now there’s a bit of a skills gap as new chefs haven’t been able to be trained over the past year or so.

Reactions: 14
Fear of production stopping, thousands of pigs going to be killed and not for food plus Tesco chief helping the government because of supply chain issues. Is this a sign of worse to come?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.