The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t think it’s boring, that’s why I’m here! I don’t get out much so it’s good to hear what it’s like in the stores.
I am a big fan of beans/legumes as a veggie. We call it “bean meal” tin of tomatoes, tin of chick peas, tin of kidney beans. Do some onion and garlic with the tomatoes then add the rest and let it simmer down a bit. Throw in some basil or smoked paprika or whatever spice if you fancy a change of flavour. Even better with cheese on top!

Reactions: 9
I don't like to scrimp on food items, but due to the price increases I've definitely cut back a little. I also realised that I probably spend too much on crap food. It may actually be a benefit to my health for me to cut back and only buy the necessary foods, rather than all the luxuries.

Anybody else eat beans and legumes? I buy the tins and jars of them, ranging from red beans, black beans, chickpeas, etc, and along with them tinned tomatoes. These are so useful for making a quick and simple meal.

Just chuck them in a pan with tinned tomatoes, and simmer for about 10 mins, add in some easy chopped garlic and even some tomato ketchup for added zing and taste. Really nice.
Yea we are vegan so lots of lentils, chickpeas etc. We do chilli, ratatouille, lentil cottage pie, stew and dumplings

Reactions: 3
Yea we are vegan so lots of lentils, chickpeas etc. We do chilli, ratatouille, lentil cottage pie, stew and dumplings
Nice. I might look into more recipes like that. I like the simple and quick recipes. I am not one to stand over the stove or in the kitchen for ages. I do like cooking though, but most of the time I like quick meals. I used to buy the Charlie Bighams meals. Well, I still do, but not as much as I used to. I think they are some of the best ready meals out there. Problem is, they cost about £6-7 per meal. Not cheap when eating them 2-3x per week.

Reactions: 2
Nice. I might look into more recipes like that. I like the simple and quick recipes. I am not one to stand over the stove or in the kitchen for ages. I do like cooking though, but most of the time I like quick meals. I used to buy the Charlie Bighams meals. Well, I still do, but not as much as I used to. I think they are some of the best ready meals out there. Problem is, they cost about £6-7 per meal. Not cheap when eating them 2-3x per week.
I love the Charlie binghams too can only get in big sainsbury or waitrose sometimes they on offeror reduced.

I like veggie food so does 15 year old..
Issue is husband and 3 little ones.
Used bulk out mince with red lentils.
Mine don't like quorn and its not
Overly cheap.
I need to find some really good simple quick recipes of veggie dishes they already eat.
Seen a few on you tube.

I try but meat on lilds special buy or reduced
Kids not hugely keen on fish.
Think this week going to attempt lentil cottage pie, chick pea curry and have veggie sausages in the freezer.

Another one!
Quite shocked at this one tbh! Very nearly moved over to them because Octopus paid the ultimate grifting thief Jack Monroe for a campaign but didn’t as their tariffs were significantly more.

Don’t know enough about the energy industry but Octopus’ CEO has shared some tweets before about what tiny margins they operate on & the % of accounts that are constantly in arrears makes cash flow quite difficult, wonder if these sorts of challenger brands end up in this situation as they’re trying to operate on leaner margins to win customers, but end up with a higher % in arrears than the old guard because they allow customers such flexibility with setting their own direct debits etc etc, which they in turn can’t carry because of lower margins? I wonder what Octopus’ outlook is like at the mo 😳

Quite shocked at this one tbh! Very nearly moved over to them because Octopus paid the ultimate grifting thief Jack Monroe for a campaign but didn’t as their tariffs were significantly more.

Don’t know enough about the energy industry but Octopus’ CEO has shared some tweets before about what tiny margins they operate on & the % of accounts that are constantly in arrears makes cash flow quite difficult, wonder if these sorts of challenger brands end up in this situation as they’re trying to operate on leaner margins to win customers, but end up with a higher % in arrears than the old guard because they allow customers such flexibility with setting their own direct debits etc etc, which they in turn can’t carry because of lower margins? I wonder what Octopus’ outlook is like at the mo 😳
Octopus I think are fairly safe, they took on customers from a company that went under recently.
Not surprised about bulb as it had been talked about for a while

This is what bulb have said

Just been doing my admins to see that edf have credited me £250, that was my winter buffer, why would they do that??

The pessimist in me says so they can say oo you're not in credit and up my monthly charge!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Just been doing my admins to see that edf have credited me £250, that was my winter buffer, why would they do that??

The pessimist in me says so they can say oo you're not in credit and up my monthly charge!
E.on did this to me, over £600 over a year and then put me on a debt plan!!

• Wow

A lot of these companies don't do the required credit checks on people when they are signed up.

The sales teams are more interested in earning their commissions for new sign ups, than follow correct procedures to ensure customers are not given more than they can afford.

I worked for a company once, whereby many were sold more than they could afford to pay. Ultimately resulting in them being passed through to the collections department.

The rogue elements in sales do not care what happens after the contract is signed. Just boosting their pay packets.

A lot of these companies don't do the required credit checks on people when they are signed up.

The sales teams are more interested in earning their commissions for new sign ups, than follow correct procedures to ensure customers are not given more than they can afford.

I worked for a company once, whereby many were sold more than they could afford to pay. Ultimately resulting in them being passed through to the collections department.

The rogue elements in sales do not care what happens after the contract is signed. Just boosting their pay packets.
Is this also to do with the regulation that says utilities companies aren’t allowed to cut you off, though? Like in that sense it’s not a credit product like insurances who can & will end your coverage if you fail to keep up monthly payments, utilities have very little choice but to continue to provide their service? Utilities also aren’t a fixed monthly fee so suppose it’s harder to gauge with that too?

It’s such a complex business model surely this tit would be better nationalised?!

Reactions: 1
Is this also to do with the regulation that says utilities companies aren’t allowed to cut you off, though? Like in that sense it’s not a credit product like insurances who can & will end your coverage if you fail to keep up monthly payments, utilities have very little choice but to continue to provide their service? Utilities also aren’t a fixed monthly fee so suppose it’s harder to gauge with that too?

It’s such a complex business model surely this tit would be better nationalised?!
I don't think utility companies are obliged to continue providing endless services that aren't being paid for.

They are obliged to help those struggling to pay.

In the case of electric, they'll likely switch people over to a pre-pay top up key.

Reactions: 6
I don't think utility companies are obliged to continue providing endless services that aren't being paid for.

They are obliged to help those struggling to pay.

In the case of electric, they'll likely switch people over to a pre-pay top up key.
The best thing I ever did was not change the pre-pay meters when I moved into my old flat that the previous tenants had. When I moved to my bungalow I ask them to put pre-pay in. No bills no surprises. I know many think they are horrible but feel I am in control, not the utility company putting how much I pay on a whim

I top up by phone and don't let it run low so it has to go to emergency. People tell me I'm paying over the odds but to me, it seems less than they pay. If I have a larger purchase to make like dishwasher etc. I can look and see how long the money I have left on the meter will last and plan around that.

Reactions: 7
The best thing I ever did was not change the pre-pay meters when I moved into my old flat that the previous tenants had. When I moved to my bungalow I ask them to put pre-pay in. No bills no surprises. I know many think they are horrible but feel I am in control, not the utility company putting how much I pay on a whim

I top up by phone and don't let it run low so it has to go to emergency. People tell me I'm paying over the odds but to me, it seems less than they pay. If I have a larger purchase to make like dishwasher etc. I can look and see how long the money I have left on the meter will last and plan around that.
Same for me. I don’t notice any difference compared to when I was on quarterly. The only thing is you’re treated like the poor relation when you call BG, but their app is great so I don’t have to anymore.

I’m going to look for more free/nominal trials this week. I got Simply Cook and it was great, wouldn’t subscribe but nice for £1 🤣 Beer52 was good, too. Will try the Tesco Clubcard plus free trial, handy for Christmas shopping.

I was doing my food shop online. Tesco double strength squash 1.5ltr was £1.00. Now its triple strength for £1.75! 75p increase! Madness. My food bill is £110. Gone are the days when my food shop was £80! 😩
Is it not quadruple strength? I noticed that's what our usual juice has changed to.

• Wow
Is it not quadruple strength? I noticed that's what our usual juice has changed to.
Yeh ours has changed to quadruple

But I don't think it tastes as nice? Or lasts as long as 2 bottles of double strength

Yes, it was the quadruple squash. I didnt buy it though. I would get 2 bottles for £2 previously but now only 1 bottle for £1.75 lol.. so i just bought 2 small bottles for 45p, I think they were 750ml.

Reactions: 1
I purposely didn't buy the quadruple squash as I thought "I bet it's not even that much more concentrated, just a way to put the prices up". I've started getting my squash from Lidl or Aldi as it tastes really nice and is so much cheaper!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.