The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lol where I live we have a grand total of one bus a week and *nothing else* and even that bus barely goes anywhere 🤣✌🏻💀 my car has a habit of breaking down at the worst possible times such as Boxing Day (!) last year when I was due at work for the next 3 days. Physically couldn’t get there because I have no other means of transport and the already ridiculous taxi fares would have near rendered me bankrupt at Christmas 🤣 Took two weeks before I could get my car in anywhere, and I had to cancel all my shifts - lost £500 and spent the same on fixing the bleeping car! Sad thing is, I genuinely had to say to my boss it would be genuinely cheaper for me to be fired. Taxis are atleast £50 to get to my work and a rental car is about the same per day. You’d think I live in the Arctic and hey I’m rural, but not THAT rural. In this day in age it’s utter madness that people don’t have more affordable transport options yet they witch at us so much about not using cars.
Have you thought about getting an electric cycle?

They'll make you aware of an increase but it has to be fair
It does, but right now it seems they are doing the increases to cover their own cash flow issues and their justifications are iffy. You will struggle to challenge many of them and would need to either cancel the DD and move to paying as the bill comes in (could incur extra charges) or take them to the ombudsman after 8 weeks but ML did advise this was hard due to the situation.

Reactions: 5
It does, but right now it seems they are doing the increases to cover their own cash flow issues and their justifications are iffy. You will struggle to challenge many of them and would need to either cancel the DD and move to paying as the bill comes in (could incur extra charges) or take them to the ombudsman after 8 weeks but ML did advise this was hard due to the situation.
Ah I missed where he said it was hard to do. I can't change mine as e.on kept refunding me (£700 over the year) and now my account has ended up in debt 🙄

There are issues with living in rural areas! Which i dont think always get taken into account by town planners!

I do have an electric bike now.....and did think of using it to get to work, but I'm not that fit, and worked out that cycling to work would take me and hour and a half there, and an hour and a half back, which compared to the 20 minute each way car journey was totally unrealistic!

Reactions: 3
It's like a war trying to reduce your DD amount. I'm hundreds in credit and it let's me reduce it by £5 a time . Then have to request again once that's approved and then they just go and ingore all this even though my usage shows they're massively estimating more. They refuse to take no payments for a couple of months to get it back closer to 0. But it's so infuriating calling them up I'm trying to ignore it.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
There are issues with living in rural areas! Which i dont think always get taken into account by town planners!

I do have an electric bike now.....and did think of using it to get to work, but I'm not that fit, and worked out that cycling to work would take me and hour and a half there, and an hour and a half back, which compared to the 20 minute each way car journey was totally unrealistic!
Ditto! I got into a bit of hot water at work when they did a survey regarding a bike purchase scheme. My 30 minute car journey would take nearly 2 hours by bike, according to Google Maps. So buying a bike for my commute would be pointless.

But apparently my responses brought down the positive numbers of the survey which the managers weren't happy about 🤷

Reactions: 5
I pay £40 per month for both gas and electric but I pay it manually. I simply cannot afford to pay the £118 pm for both that SSE want if I pay by DD. I just pay the excess, if there is one, when the bill comes in. It’s going to be a lean Christmas in the ‘Farkus’ house this year. I’ve lost over £500 a month since my daughter turned 18 in May, I work but it’s bloody difficult now.
I plan on a lean Christmas too, with cost of everything going up I will watch the pennies more closely than I usually need to. The food shop is rinsing me at the moment.

Ditto! I got into a bit of hot water at work when they did a survey regarding a bike purchase scheme. My 30 minute car journey would take nearly 2 hours by bike, according to Google Maps. So buying a bike for my commute would be pointless.

But apparently my responses brought down the positive numbers of the survey which the managers weren't happy about 🤷
My work did that once 👀 Most of us drive on a 70mph road to get to work so cycling not really the feasible option for many due to the distance/safety. Cycling is fine if within a couple of miles but most travel 10+.

Edit to add: they also tried to get us to have car buddy system but having to match up finish times with someone in your area becomes really inconvenient and a chore. I once gave a colleague a lift for a month while they had various car issues and I was glad when she got her car back as doing small talk at 8am is not fun 😬.

Oh and the bus service is crap near my work, it's only really feasible on foot for locals, or by car, due to the awkward location (not a city centre).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
What, I had no idea they could do this. I was considering jumping to DD for mine too, but if they can authorise new amounts without asking you then no.
Sadly it is in the small print and is the sole reason why I still pay maually, every quarter on receipt of the bill.

Reactions: 2
Couldn't afford it, don't have the fitness, I work 45 minutes away (drive) and have multiple needs for a car (dogs, shopping, driving places with my partner etc). I also don't fancy cycling back from work at 7 at night in the pitch black pissing down rain in the throws of a Lake District winter. Not to mention hugely unsafe on 60+ roads. I could go on. Probably a very unrealistic thought for most adults I would think.

But thank you for the sentiment? :ROFLMAO:😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Couldn't afford it, don't have the fitness, I work 45 minutes away (drive) and have multiple needs for a car (dogs, shopping, driving places with my partner etc). I also don't fancy cycling back from work at 7 at night in the pitch black pissing down rain in the throws of a Lake District winter. Not to mention hugely unsafe on 60+ roads. I could go on. Probably a very unrealistic thought for most adults I would think.

But thank you for the sentiment? :ROFLMAO:😅
Shrugs shoulders, and skulks back into a dark corner of Tattle which I usually inhabit. Sorry, I've had a trying day today.

• Heart
  • Haha
Shrugs shoulders, and skulks back into a dark corner of Tattle which I usually inhabit. Sorry, I've had a trying day today.
My apologies, I do appreciate the thought honestly, it's just a really bizarre suggestion :ROFLMAO: It's like saying your oven doesn't work, but have you tried cooking your roast over candlelight? (I'm only teasing please don't take it personally lmao) :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
My apologies, I do appreciate the thought honestly, it's just a really bizarre suggestion :ROFLMAO: It's like saying your oven doesn't work, but have you tried cooking your roast over candlelight? (I'm only teasing please don't take it personally lmao) :ROFLMAO:
Apology accepted, but I think I've had my full quota of Tattle for today.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Apology accepted, but I think I've had my full quota of Tattle for today.
Ah I'm just pulling ya leg man! I think it's just one of those things that people don't necessarily understand rural living. Which is fair enough - not many do it!

Reactions: 3

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Just read (admittedly in MSM) that the national grid are warning of black outs this winter?! Wtaf?!

I know this is a silly question but surely that means we won’t have heating either as ur boiler needs electric to work? This country is a tit hole!
National Grid is Gas

I plan on a lean Christmas too, with cost of everything going up I will watch the pennies more closely than I usually need to. The food shop is rinsing me at the moment.

My work did that once 👀 Most of us drive on a 70mph road to get to work so cycling not really the feasible option for many due to the distance/safety. Cycling is fine if within a couple of miles but most travel 10+.

Edit to add: they also tried to get us to have car buddy system but having to match up finish times with someone in your area becomes really inconvenient and a chore. I once gave a colleague a lift for a month while they had various car issues and I was glad when she got her car back as doing small talk at 8am is not fun 😬.

Oh and the bus service is crap near my work, it's only really feasible on foot for locals, or by car, due to the awkward location (not a city centre).
My former Deputy Vice-Chancellor used to check up how many people were in the office if there was bad snowfall. He lived quite a distance away, so he had the view that if he could get in, so could everyone else. This was of course overlooking three points:
1) He lived on a main road which would have been gritted.
2) He had no kids
3) He had a massive 4x4

As I lived only a few yards away, I was usually the only one in for quite a while in these conditions, although my director didn't like that, as if the DVC would turn up, he would grill me where everyone was, and I'm rather a pathetic liar, so not the best person to be there.....

Reactions: 6
Car mot today. Hoping it passes.

We are we octopus and dd went from 120 to 188 gas and electric 3 bed terrace.

Juice availability is still patchy.

Bit worried about all this lockdown talk.
We can't afford lose income again if non essential close.

Having a frugal half term.
Trying run down freezer so can do a big end of the world shop on pay day.
Started on Xmas shopping and nearly done all Halloween shopping.

Aldi toy event tommorow and looks good.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.