The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We finally had out smart meters fitted, but I can already see myself becoming obsessive over checking it. 😐😅 I might have to put it out of sight somewhere, all weekend I've been bugging the life out of Mr Wilma "It's gone up 20p! Have you left a light on upstairs or something?" 😂

I've also noticed in the last 3 weeks my food shopping has gone up quite a lot! I'm not buying anything out of the ordinary, and I'm not particularly precious about brands and do tend to buy a lot of supermarket own brand stuff already so I am a bit worried about the prices going up!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Lol where I live we have a grand total of one bus a week and *nothing else* and even that bus barely goes anywhere 🤣✌🏻💀 my car has a habit of breaking down at the worst possible times such as Boxing Day (!) last year when I was due at work for the next 3 days. Physically couldn’t get there because I have no other means of transport and the already ridiculous taxi fares would have near rendered me bankrupt at Christmas 🤣 Took two weeks before I could get my car in anywhere, and I had to cancel all my shifts - lost £500 and spent the same on fixing the bleeping car! Sad thing is, I genuinely had to say to my boss it would be genuinely cheaper for me to be fired. Taxis are atleast £50 to get to my work and a rental car is about the same per day. You’d think I live in the Arctic and hey I’m rural, but not THAT rural. In this day in age it’s utter madness that people don’t have more affordable transport options yet they witch at us so much about not using cars.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Seriously, is it any surprise if people want to leave the country. For me it isn't. For those that can, it will likely be worth considering. Under this government, it's just incompetence and corruption, and doing naff all about the issues at hand. Really sad and anger inducing how fast this country has gone downhill.

I understand covid didn't help, but there is more this government could have done to protect people from the virus spreading as much as it did, I'm sure of that. Brexit certainly hasn't helped either, but it's an easy scapegoat when the Tories have been in power for just over a decade and things haven't improved. From Industrial revolution to industrial devolution.
I keep thinking about moving for exactly these reasons that you stated. I don't think any government would be perfect but here is just ridiculous right now. I have never voted Tory but when they got such a large majority I thought ok I'll go into this open minded and see what happens but it's even worse than I could have feared.

I have no idea where I would want to go though! It's harder to move somewhere else in Europe now and I would want to learn the language before I went. I have considered Canada too, I've spent a lot of time there and love it but a holiday is very different to living there so is a big decision especially as it's quite far.

Reactions: 3
As an aside please can this not turn into yet another conspiracy and "are the 'Powers That Be' causing doom and panic on purpose???" thread, I just want a place to moan about current tit goings on 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I keep thinking about moving for exactly these reasons that you stated. I don't think any government would be perfect but here is just ridiculous right now. I have never voted Tory but when they got such a large majority I thought ok I'll go into this open minded and see what happens but it's even worse than I could have feared.

I have no idea where I would want to go though! It's harder to move somewhere else in Europe now and I would want to learn the language before I went. I have considered Canada too, I've spent a lot of time there and love it but a holiday is very different to living there so is a big decision especially as it's quite far.
So, my perspective on this. I’ve lived in both Australia and the UK and each comes with their own set of challenges and annoyances and incompetent politicians. Plus complicated diplomatic relationships with the countries that are nearny too! I think it’s down to which set of challenges and annoyances you’re happy to put up with maybe? (Also the weather, I know I couldn’t handle Canadian winters for example!).

Reactions: 1
I was $90cad, 52gbp, for groceries today. This is what I got:

2x big carrots
A 5lb bag of potatoes
A bunch of banana
Bag of green beans
Asparagus
A big chocolate bar
Fruit gummys
2 bags of rice cakes
2 juice enhancers
Tin of tomato paste
2 tins of fish
Bag of pasta
Cheese
2x fish fillets
1x pack of beef mince (1lb)
Milk
Coffee cream
Cereal
Can of roasted red peppers
Contact lens solution

No need to get yogurt, bread, eggs as we buy that every few weeks at Costco. And already had onions, garlic and a few other things for meals.

Reactions: 1
As an aside please can this not turn into yet another conspiracy and "are the 'Powers That Be' causing doom and panic on purpose???" thread, I just want a place to moan about current tit goings on 🙏
Surely you can still do that, but others might want to dig deeper into what is going on. Unless you really believe 100% that everything going on right now makes perfect sense?

For me, nothing going on right now makes any sense and if you look into history you will see this isn't the first time the economy has been crashed on purpose If we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.

Reactions: 7
Near half my shopping wasn’t available today to be delivered, seems the panic buying has resumed 💀 whoever out there is eating all my cherry muller corners I’m coming for blood 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Had online shopping delivered and nothing was missing yesterday. Went to M&S Saturday afternoon and shelves were fine (not full but never are on a Saturday afternoon!). Definitely must be regional. I do have every supermarket going within a 5 mile though 😂

2 subs on my tesco shop yesterday.

Big bag of oven chips that were on offer subbed for 2 smaller bags that weighed more in total and price matched to the offer

The bag of stir fry veg I wanted was out of stock when I placed my order so I ordered the larger version. This was again subbed with 2 smaller bags.

So nothing too bad

Reactions: 4
Had some drinks sat and hub decided sun the only thing that would sate his hangover was steak pie. I went to 3 different shops before finding one, I thought no this can't be a thing and later that day in the DM ...pie shortage 😱

Sorry for off topic anyone shop the Next directory? They made me return my own items in store yesterday little scanner and swing box. Another point of human contact gone 😔

Reactions: 2
My experience is that we cant always get everything we want on our list in one shop. But if we go back a few days later we can get the missing items.
The exclusion to this is hot chillies so I have preserved a jar in oil due to the fact we use them at least 2 dishes per week have fresh chillies.

We finally had out smart meters fitted, but I can already see myself becoming obsessive over checking it. 😐😅 I might have to put it out of sight somewhere, all weekend I've been bugging the life out of Mr Wilma "It's gone up 20p! Have you left a light on upstairs or something?" 😂
I had to put ours away. For goodness sake don't grill anything , cos the thing goes woooooosh

• Wow
  • Haha
Being reported today that £6 a pint could become 'the norm' in pubs down South.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16462361/brits-pay-30p-more-pint-cost-shortages-drinkers-pockets/

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/19/get-...d-as-beer-prices-set-to-rise-by-30p-15445798/

If this does indeed become the case, I'll likely severely cut back on the amount of times I will visit a pub.

Also having been involved with a number of drinks festivals over the years, I've had access to various wholesale lists.

Let's just say that pubs already add quite a healthy margin to drinks prices. Some are now just getting greedy, by stinging customers with prices rises to recoup covid losses more quickly. Although that will backfire on them in many cases, as many will now start to question is going to the pub really worth it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I think it depends on the car type. My way petrol is 10 years old and it doesn't apply but I think for some newer diesels it does.
It doesn’t feel very environmentally friendly to encourage people to buy new cars or upgrade leases though does it 😳 which for people who drive for work or commute daily would become a more financially savvy option instead of paying £12 a day…

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.