The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember it being 99p, would of been around 20 years ago
It was last year too.

Caused by the then rising covid pandemic, pre vaccination. Most people weren't going anywhere and so demand for petrol and diesel fell through the floor. Fuel companies were sitting on massive reserves they couldn't shift fast enough, thus the price dropped.

Fuel is a price volatile product, with prices highly dictated by supply and demand. This is why I have been somewhat angry with people panic buying it. Their actions have just caused a price spike, for which we are still suffering from, even now - not to mention causing unnecessary shortages for those that genuinely did need to fill up.

Reactions: 9
It was last year too.

Caused by the then rising covid pandemic, pre vaccination. Most people weren't going anywhere and so demand for petrol and diesel fell through the floor. Fuel companies were sitting on massive reserves they couldn't shift fast enough.

Fuel is a price volatile product, with prices highly dictated by supply and demand. This is why I have been somewhat angry with people panic buying it. Their actions have just caused a price spike, for which we are still suffering from, even now - not to mention causing unnecessary shortages for those that genuinely did need to fill up.
Definitely was 99p last year in lockdown. As a key worker I was one if the few still getting fuel regularly.

A tank of fuel that last year in lockdown I could get for as little as £38 is now costing at least £52 and that's at the cheaper petrol stations.

Reactions: 10
99p here too - was a dream! Gone up by 50% now, makes me 🥵🤢 completely unnecessary aswell, people just can’t engage their brains.

Reactions: 3
If people hadnt of panic bought fuel, we would now be seeing prices in the 131-137p range for standard (not premium) fuel. Whilst not brilliant, it would have still been an improvement on the 141p+ we are seeing now.

Last year when the pandemic was in full flow and people weren't going anywhere, I managed to fill up on Diesel at ASDA for 99p a litre!
It's not just the UK, the cost of fuel is up everywhere... It is to do with the demand for fuel going up world over and oil prices increasing. Where I am in Canada it's well over $1.45. Cost $120 to fill our car 🤬

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
It's not just the UK, the cost of fuel is up everywhere... It is to do with the demand for fuel going up world over and oil prices increasing. Where I am in Canada it's well over $1.45. Cost $120 to fill our car 🤬
Yes, same in America people moaning about the fuel going up. Plus the shortages, Trouble is us Brits are obsessed with Brexit, it matters not that the same things are going on all around the world, its Brexits fault here ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes, same in America people moaning about the fuel going up. Plus the shortages, Trouble is us Brits are obsessed with Brexit, it matters not that the same things are going on all around the world, its Brexits fault here ;)
Hahah, I have noticed that. Sometimes people from the UK fail to open their eyes and notice a situation is also happening worldwide not just in the UK. This winter will be hard for a lot of people.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Saw this on my news app this morning
Inevitable really wasnt it?! Altho, its nice to see that people are donating again as I remember going in my local asda and at one point, there wasnt anything in it a good few times but now it's starting to fill up again to the point where there is like 2,3,4 trollies worth of food. In all the tit the government throw at us, there will always be people out there that are willing to help. I love that.

Inevitable really wasnt it?! Altho, its nice to see that people are donating again as I remember going in my local asda and at one point, there wasnt anything in it a good few times but now it's starting to fill up again to the point where there is like 2,3,4 trollies worth of food. In all the tit the government throw at us, there will always be people out there that are willing to help. I love that.
I don't think people stopped donating but the food bank etc were picking up the donations much faster during lockdowns due to so many having problems. I got those government boxes and I cancelled but they still kept coming and the food banks came and pick up from me asap.

Reactions: 1
I don't think people stopped donating but the food bank etc were picking up the donations much faster during lockdowns due to so many having problems. I got those government boxes and I cancelled but they still kept coming and the food banks came and pick up from me asap.
Also I think lots of people moved to online shopping or click and collect so by passed the in store drop off points.

Reactions: 6
They've started doing prepacked, pre priced bags in my supermarket by the checkout and it's great. Like when you're walking round you just think normally about getting what is on the list (inevitably all over the store) and to then have it there at the last minute makes it so much more accessible. Like what is an extra £2 when I've already spent dozens on my own crap? Also you know it's what they need and not what I think they want.

I went to Morrisons in the week (I have a pick of supermarkets near me so I don't go to the same one every time) and they had a big rack of pre-packed bags for the food bank filled with various items for different amounts. You can add them to your trolley and pay for them at the till and then put them in the food bank boxes on your way out - I though it was a great idea as I always have the best of intentions to buy things for the food bank when I do my shopping but I don't always remember but that made sure I did.

Reactions: 12
I do an online shop for my main one but I always end up going into asda for bits in the week and iv never seen the pre-packed bags. Im gonna ask about when im next in there and il get a couple.

Reactions: 2
I went to Morrisons in the week (I have a pick of supermarkets near me so I don't go to the same one every time) and they had a big rack of pre-packed bags for the food bank filled with various items for different amounts. You can add them to your trolley and pay for them at the till and then put them in the food bank boxes on your way out - I though it was a great idea as I always have the best of intentions to buy things for the food bank when I do my shopping but I don't always remember but that made sure I did.
I’d never heard of that but what a good idea, I know my local food bank regularly produces a list of what they do and don’t need but this would be great in helping them get what they need. Thank you for sharing that - I’ll keep an eye out.

They've started doing prepacked, pre priced bags in my supermarket by the checkout and it's great. Like when you're walking round you just think normally about getting what is on the list (inevitably all over the store) and to then have it there at the last minute makes it so much more accessible. Like what is an extra £2 when I've already spent dozens on my own crap? Also you know it's what they need and not what I think they want.
I really liked the pre-packed idea!
That is my mentality too. I'm happy to spend £1.50 on a chocolate bar, the least I can do is buy something. Even if it's just a 50p pack of biscuits, some UHT milk or some tins of soup. Just something. I'm not swimming in cash like 🤣 but I try my best because I think, if we all just contributed even 1 thing if we can then that's a lot of stuff when you consider the amount of people that must shop. I know it's not always possible especially at the moment and that's fair enough but for my situation, I can manage 50p - £1 here and there

Reactions: 4
I do an online shop for my main one but I always end up going into asda for bits in the week and iv never seen the pre-packed bags. Im gonna ask about when im next in there and il get a couple.
I think it's just Morrisons doing the packs as I haven't seen them anywhere else.

In our house it's going to be a quiet Christmas and a leaner one. We had to claim UC this year due to lockdown and husband losing all his work.
Losing the £85 top up was horrible as we didn't realise that there had been a top up until we read about it.

In the plus side I've got a pension refund to come from a short term job . I'll get just under £400 and my son who is 18 wants a bike for Xmas so will buy that in Halfords. My son is autistic and learning finally to ride a bike has boosted his self confidence.

So although Xmas will be leaner we do have this boost.

Husband's work is slowly picking up again but we are still not at the Minimum Income earnings level yet. They've agreed not to apply this for 12 months to give his business time to build up again....hopefully once that happens we won't need UC at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I did my big weekly shop in tesco on Friday for two adults and one child - just a normal shop nothing really out of the ordinary. Did not need to buy washing detergent or dishwasher tablets or anything like that that pushes the price up by about £10. I got some chicken breasts and some stewing beef that was the only meat. Fresh fruit very limited I only got grapes and strawberries.

There were no offers at all, I try to only buy things with the club card prices or if they are on offer when I'm in tesco.

It was £132. I have never spent so much during a weekly food shop in my life. And my fridge isn't even full. In fact the fruit has already pretty much been eaten. It worries me that 18 months ago I could do a food shop for the 3 of us for £60 a week and that has now pretty much doubled

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I did my big weekly shop in tesco on Friday for two adults and one child - just a normal shop nothing really out of the ordinary. Did not need to buy washing detergent or dishwasher tablets or anything like that that pushes the price up by about £10. I got some chicken breasts and some stewing beef that was the only meat. Fresh fruit very limited I only got grapes and strawberries.

There were no offers at all, I try to only buy things with the club card prices or if they are on offer when I'm in tesco.

It was £132. I have never spent so much during a weekly food shop in my life. And my fridge isn't even full. In fact the fruit has already pretty much been eaten. It worries me that 18 months ago I could do a food shop for the 3 of us for £60 a week and that has now pretty much doubled
that is actually shocking. Are you in a position to swap supermarket? Some people aren't due to transport, living area etc. I shop in Lidl and I find it much cheaper. I can't get everything there but I usually only need to go to the supermarket for 2 things which I can pick up on my way to work to so pretty easy.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.