The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Diesel prices have gone up loads, 144 in tesco
Petrol prices in my local area.

20211018_210038.jpg

Prices pre panic buying were:

Unleaded: 129.7p
Diesel: 132.7p

20211018_210013.jpg

Unleaded: 131.8p
Diesel: 134.8p

All people have manage to succeed in unnecessarily doing is to push prices artificially higher. For which we ALL lose out.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
It's like a war trying to reduce your DD amount. I'm hundreds in credit and it let's me reduce it by £5 a time . Then have to request again once that's approved and then they just go and ingore all this even though my usage shows they're massively estimating more. They refuse to take no payments for a couple of months to get it back closer to 0. But it's so infuriating calling them up I'm trying to ignore it.
This is exactly what has happened to me, I had a debit of £55 so I paid £65 to avoid anymore debt. My plan was renewed and they put the DD up to £123 a month. That went out, looked at my account this morning and it’s £85 in credit! I’m using around £65 a month, and all it said was I could change my direct debit to £118, so just the £5. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Also this time last year I lived in a 4 bedroom house and was paying £99 a month, I’ve moved to a small 2 bed bungalow and I’m paying even more!

• Sad
Reactions: 6
This is exactly what has happened to me, I had a debit of £55 so I paid £65 to avoid anymore debt. My plan was renewed and they put the DD up to £123 a month. That went out, looked at my account this morning and it’s £85 in credit! I’m using around £65 a month, and all it said was I could change my direct debit to £118, so just the £5. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Also this time last year I lived in a 4 bedroom house and was paying £99 a month, I’ve moved to a small 2 bed bungalow and I’m paying even more!
Did you move to downsize your outgoings? It seems now with council tax going up plus fuel, it's not really making it worth downsizing in some areas ☹ A bungalow on my street went for 320k this year which is over 150k more than my husband and I bought our 2 storey house for over 5 years ago. Bungalow s are sought after, but 320k in my area is bananas.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I remember the discussion s when it went over £1 per litre, tbh I can see it reaching 1.50 soon.
I've heard mutterings of over £2 a litre was being charged in some Central London petrol stations, during the panic buying! o_O:rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I live in a 3 bed house, my mom lives in a 1 bed bungalow. Same area, she uses more energy than me according to her bills but I have 2 gaming pcs on most of the day, my laptop, etc. My heat is on a timer tho. Madness.

Also just done another food shop ready for half term - £105. Hardly any offers. :cautious:

• Sad

View attachment 819720

View attachment 819724

All people have manage to succeed in unnecessarily doing is to push prices artificially higher. For which we ALL lose out.
I paid 133 before the panic buying! Our tesco has turned off the prices outside so you don't know until you get to the pump 😏

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
I paid 133 before the panic buying! Our tesco has turned off the prices outside so you don't know until you get to the pump 😏
Like they say in the fancy shops, Ii you need to ask how much it is then you can't afford it. :cool:

• Haha
Europe gets most of its gas from Russia so it can/will have an impact but most of the UK’s is supplied by Norway.

It's the first time I've felt really cold tonight, popped another quilt on bed, no ch to switch on, it's not the end of the world, tbh I'd rather be cold so can layer up than boiling hot and can't cool down!

It's the first time I've felt really cold tonight, popped another quilt on bed, no ch to switch on, it's not the end of the world, tbh I'd rather be cold so can layer up than boiling hot and can't cool down!
I just layer up and get cosy under a blanket on the sofa when it’s cold but the other half walked in the house tonight (he’s been living away the past few months and is home for a visit) and declared it to be freezing so I had to go put the heating on 🙄😂 unimpressed and he hadn’t even been home an hour!

• Haha

View attachment 819720

View attachment 819724

I went to fill up on Tuesday and was really shocked at the prices. I believe diesel was 145.9 and unleaded 142.9

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I went to fill up on Tuesday and was really shocked at the prices. I believe diesel was 145.9 and unleaded 142.9
If people hadnt of panic bought fuel, we would now be seeing prices in the 131-137p range for standard (not premium) fuel. Whilst not brilliant, it would have still been an improvement on the 141p+ we are seeing now.

Last year when the pandemic was in full flow and people weren't going anywhere, I managed to fill up on Diesel at ASDA for 99p a litre!

Reactions: 9
If people hadnt of panic bought fuel, we would now be seeing prices in the 131-137p range for standard (not premium) fuel. Whilst not brilliant, it would have still been an improvement on the 141p+ we are seeing now.

Last year when the pandemic was in full flow and people weren't going anywhere, I managed to fill up on Diesel at ASDA for 99p a litre!
I was talking to a family member the other day and said “remember when fuel was 99p” and she was adamant it’s never been 99p! I’m gonna show her your post to prove myself right 😂😂

I was talking to a family member the other day and said “remember when fuel was 99p” and she was adamant it’s never been 99p! I’m gonna show her your post to prove myself right 😂😂
I remember it being 99p, would of been around 20 years ago

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.