The Teacher (Channel 5)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone watching this? I like it so far. Can’t help but feel it’s biographical for Sheridan Smith given the stories in the media 😬

I understand its a 4-parter from tonight until Thursday so please no spoilers if watching all episodes in advance

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Pity I couldn't watch all 4 tonight, really enjoyed it and I'm not usually a big fan of SS

Reactions: 2
I watched it and I’m really impressed with SS. She is a really great actress and actually made me feel really stressed/anxious on her behalf.

Reactions: 8
I enjoyed it. What stories do you mean?
The stories surrounding alcohol abuse, and acting rowdy and inappropriately (that’s not what I think, just what was in the media about her in the last few years). I thought a few of the lines in tonight’s show were close to home: other characters saying she can’t handle her drink and has blackouts when she’s drunk, and her character mentioning the Daily Mail Sidebar of Shame in disparaging terms. Maybe I was just looking too much into it lol. I liked the first episode a lot, looking forward to the rest!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I thought it was good!! The last line of the ep… wow….
Nice to have something to watch other than shows with murder and brutal crimes

Reactions: 4
I quite enjoyed it. But didn't understand why the school didn't pull her up on that skirt she wore first time we saw her.

And also why the police didn't take her clothing. Would be the first thing they do in any sexual assault.

Thought she played a good part though.

So we think she did shag a teenager in the bogs?? 🤮
I think there will be a twist but I don’t see how unless the boy is specifically lying and left a voicemail because…I don’t know why because.

I quite enjoyed it. But didn't understand why the school didn't pull her up on that skirt she wore first time we saw her.

And also why the police didn't take her clothing. Would be the first thing they do in any sexual assault.

Thought she played a good part though.
I thought that about the skirt too! I did see the female teacher look at her disapprovingly and thought she was the Head at first and was going to pull her up on it. Btw, is that teacher the main woman from “My Mad Fat Diary”?

Reactions: 7
I think there will be a twist but I don’t see how unless the boy is specifically lying and left a voicemail because…I don’t know why because.

I thought that about the skirt too! I did see the female teacher look at her disapprovingly and thought she was the Head at first and was going to pull her up on it. Btw, is that teacher the main woman from “My Mad Fat Diary”?
Yup!! I couldn't get my head around that. Last time I saw her she was playing a teenager....now she is a woman with a teenage daughter. Messed with my head a bit!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Had to look past quite a few details eg how pupils and teachers were dressed, the poor acting by some (some of the teachers in particular) and detailed references to certain bits of school life it's like they're trying too hard to be like WE DID OUR RESEARCH. Once you look past that it's OK. Can't see where it's going though which is good

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yup!! I couldn't get my head around that. Last time I saw her she was playing a teenager....now she is a woman with a teenage daughter. Messed with my head a bit!
Im glad you confirmed it because I am notoriously terrible for not recognising actors and I thought it was her but sort of talked myself out of it thinking “no, that show isn’t old enough for her to be a teacher now, surely” 😶

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Im glad you confirmed it because I am notoriously terrible for not recognising actors and I thought it was her but sort of talked myself out of it thinking “no, that show isn’t old enough for her to be a teacher now, surely” 😶
Haha I'm quite impressed with myself as I'm usually the idiot who gets confused who is who in a film if the person changes their hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I felt so old when I realised it was her! Wasn't she in Two doors down as well as a young(ish) person? Didn't know if the comment about her having had wild times as well was related to her having the daughter quite young? Probably overthinking it!

I do find it frustrating sometimes in programmes like this that the "cool" person is openly praised and the one who does the job properly is "boring" but I am really interested to see where this goes

• Heart
I do find it frustrating sometimes in programmes like this that the "cool" person is openly praised and the one who does the job properly is "boring" but I am really interested to see where this goes
i think like anything, TV and films exaggerate life, but I don’t think that’s that far fetched and unrealistic in every day life too! If I look back at my teachers (senior school in the late 90s/early 00s) the teachers I thought were cool probably still had growing up to do instead of trying to impress us kids and the ones I thought were boring were probably trying to do their job properly (and frustrated).

I really hope that this doesn’t turn out all to be an evil plot by My Mad Fat Diary who is sabotaging her to get the Head of English job 🙄

• Heart
I really hope that this doesn’t turn out all to be an evil plot by My Mad Fat Diary who is sabotaging her to get the Head of English job 🙄
I hadn't thought of that. I hope they don't go down that route. But late now if they have obviously 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I read today that this was actually filmed in Budapest due to budget, but is set to look as though it is in Bradford

• Wow
  • Heart
I read today that this was actually filmed in Budapest due to budget, but is set to look as though it is in Bradford
I only realised this when the credits went up. I enjoyed it tonight. I think Sheridan Smith is so like Alison Steadman in it!!