The Staircase

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was hoping the dramatised version might present a different angle to the case, but some of the producers of the documentary are co-executive producers on the series, so it will probably present the same version of events and lean towards Michael's innocence.

I think the series is cast incredibly well, I wasn't sure about Colin Firth as Michael Petersen to begin with but he nails the tone of voice and mannerisms. I guess it helps when you have hours of documentary footage to work with!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I can't give credence to the owl theory because of the lack of feathers. IIRC they only found tiny microscopic ones on her scalp. When a bird is in the middle of a frenzied attack in an enclosed space, it is very odd to find no larger feathers around. We have a parrot and he only has to shake himself and there's at least a couple of downy feathers clearly visible on the floor. I think there would have been feathers all over the crime scene if this was the case. So much so that it would have been raised as a theory much sooner than it was.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Throwing in a complete curveball here but I always got the impression he was covering for one of the children.
ETA the murder weapon is a huge issue! What could cause wounds like that to Kathleen’s scalp but not damage her skull??

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Something very shifty about Michael Peterson, and I can't stand the sound of his voice - which he, himself, seems to love the sound of ... the man seems to adore himself.

Have to say, Colin Firth is doing a brilliant job on The Staircase - even has the horrible voice down to a fine art.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think the Netflix doc was biased as he had romantic involvement with the director...

Reactions: 4
Almost finished the most recent ep, and I'm thinking it was either Clayton or Michael. They both give me the ick. Especially Clayton after what he said about Kathleen and Michael. I won't spoil it incase anyone hasn't watch it yet.

Reactions: 3
I think the casting is excellent, especially the two prosecutors.

The Petersons are such a creepy family. In real life, the one played by Sophie Turner looks a lot like Michael. Wouldn't be surprised if he was her biological father. She was always the one who was most steadfast in her support of him.

Reactions: 7
I said after the Netflix documentary that it could have been one of the kids he was covering for and that Clayton in this new series is strengthening my original suspicions. However, would they have checked alibis?

Reactions: 1
I’m enjoying the new series, we did watch the Netflix one and like a few said it dragged on. I mostly felt he wasn’t guilty but the last episode (4 I think it was) painted a good picture of what could have happened if it wasn’t that she tripped etc shame the DA didn’t think about that in the original, better than the blow poke theory! And agreed Clayton is such an odd kid !!

Reactions: 3
Anyone seen this on youtube? Todd Peterson was his fathers biggest supporter.. I can't decide if Michael is guilty or not? I haven't watched the sky drama with Colin Firth yet.. It;s on my list to watch next. I've only watched the Netlix one.

Todd Peterson says his dad Michael Peterson killed Kathleen, Patricia, and Elizabeth! ? - YouTube
When is this from? I just watched Michael’s interview on This Morning from today and he talked about being in touch with Todd.

I noticed when he was asked directly ‘did you push her down the stairs’ he replied ‘I didn’t beat Kathleen to death’ which is slightly different. But he does believe she died from falling down the stairs.

When is this from? I just watched Michael’s interview on This Morning from today and he talked about being in touch with Todd.

I noticed when he was asked directly ‘did you push her down the stairs’ he replied ‘I didn’t beat Kathleen to death’ which is slightly different. But he does believe she died from falling down the stairs.
This was about 6 months ago. He's talking about his birth mother.

This guy is as guilty as sin! He didn’t even attempt CPR! Also who, upon seeing the state of Kathleen, would immediately assume she had fallen down the stairs? I would assume an intruder had been in and she had been beaten. He set the scene straight away by saying she had fallen down the stairs. He has never even attempted to wonder what happened to her because he knows what happened and he knows he is responsible. He is a sick and twisted liar who was using her for the house and money. He was broke af and she had money. He was shagging all around him and when she caught wind he freaked out and ended her. And don’t even get me started on the owl nonsense. Such an insult to her memory to even go there. She had one measly feather in her hair because she had been sitting outside under a tree

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This guy is as guilty as sin! He didn’t even attempt CPR! Also who, upon seeing the state of Kathleen, would immediately assume she had fallen down the stairs? I would assume an intruder had been in and she had been beaten. He set the scene straight away by saying she had fallen down the stairs. He has never even attempted to wonder what happened to her because he knows what happened and he knows he is responsible. He is a sick and twisted liar who was using her for the house and money. He was broke af and she had money. He was shagging all around him and when she caught wind he freaked out and ended her. And don’t even get me started on the owl nonsense. Such an insult to her memory to even go there. She had one measly feather in her hair because she had been sitting outside under a tree
I think exactly the same about the scene, if I walked in on my partner in that state my first thought would be someone had attacked him and I would more than likely describe the scene to the emergency services ie at the bottom of the stairs covered in blood but that I didn’t know what had happened

Reactions: 5
I think exactly the same about the scene, if I walked in on my partner in that state my first thought would be someone had attacked him and I would more than likely describe the scene to the emergency services ie at the bottom of the stairs covered in blood but that I didn’t know what had happened
100% I’d assume a burglary gone wrong or something. She was in such a state and there was so much blood that I wouldn’t think for one second that it was a fall down the stairs. He knows what happened.

Reactions: 7
Weren’t emergency services there when the sun arrived home though? And the other son was out of town?

Weren’t emergency services there when the sun arrived home though? And the other son was out of town?
Sorry I meant son not sun! 😵💫😵💫😵💫🙈😅

Last edited:

Sorry I meant son not sun! 😵💫😵💫😵💫🙈😅
Clayton was arrested for trying to bomb his uni I believe. That’s why I think it was him. Making bombs… next level violence which means that he is capable of inflicting those injuries that Kathleen sustained.

Reactions: 4