The Staircase

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched the documentary on Netflix and now the first three episodes of the adaptation with Colin Firth and Toni Colette. Still can’t make up my mind if he did it or not!

Reactions: 7
I loved the Netflix documentary, I want back and forwards as to whether he did it or not. I think he probably did but no-one ruled out the owl theory....

Reactions: 3
I’m sure he did it, I started watching the documentary again today! Mind you, I’ve been dreaming about owls ever since…..

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Gutting when you get to the end of episode 3 and realise they’re weekly from now on 🙃

I’m positive he did it

Reactions: 9
I know I should watch the Netflix doc but what was the owl theory? I think he did it. Two wives both died from falling down stairs 🤔

I watched it on Netflix and as soon as I heard about the owl theory I stopped watching 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I've got one more episode of Severance to watch, then I'm starting on this. Loved the Netflix series even though they dragged it out a bit towards the end. He surely did it. Nobody has injuries like that from falling down the stairs. And his family are so weird and creepy. He was going out with the director of the Netflix series, I think. Looking forward to the court scenes in the dramatisation. Hope they recreate the hapless "blood spatter" guys.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I'm enjoying it. Completely convinced of his guilt and that he killed the mother of his adopted daughters too. i refuse to believe that the second wife knew and tolerated his gay promiscuity, I can't think of any wife that would be ok with that and risking her sexual health.

Reactions: 10
I wrote this on the real life crime and murder thread just before I noticed that there was a thread here -

Is the owl theory going to turn into the bat(tit) theory?
The fact that the owl theory was cut out of the Netflix version is really interesting. They were trying to make Peterson look less guilty in that, so they omitted it IMO. It looks like the dramatisation is going to include the fact that Peterson went on to have an affair with the Netflix editor so I'm hoping we get some insight into that.

- so it's interesting that they waited until he'd been released from prison to include the owl theory. I watched the original version of the documentary years ago on youtube and found the Netflix version really disappointing. This programme so far is great though, I love the fact they're kind of looking at it from the documentary makers' point of view, and that we get more insight into the family dynamics wrt how the kids felt about everything. If anyone's interested, I found Jean-Xavier de Lestrade's previous documentary, Murder on a Sunday Morning, really brilliant too.

Reactions: 1
I think the first wife’s death was probably an accident. I remember in the documentary there wasn’t any evidence of foul play with that one. I think he did kill the second wife though and tried to make it look like an accident. He already had the frame of reference in his mind for what a fall down the stairs should look like and he tried to make it look as much like that as possible.
Or…🦉

I think the first wife’s death was probably an accident. I remember in the documentary there wasn’t any evidence of foul play with that one. I think he did kill the second wife though and tried to make it look like an accident. He already had the frame of reference in his mind for what a fall down the stairs should look like and he tried to make it look as much like that as possible.
Or…🦉
Yeah, hadn't she been experiencing really bad headaches or something? It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought she'd had some sort of catastrophic aneurysm.

Yeah, hadn't she been experiencing really bad headaches or something? It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought she'd had some sort of catastrophic aneurysm.
Yes that’s right. I don’t think he had a hand in her death but like someone else said it gave him a blueprint for Kathleen.

Reactions: 4
The first wife never died. The one who ended up at the bottom of the stairs in Germany was Martha and Margaret’s mother. His first wife was the mother of the two boys and they adopted the girls after their mother’s death.

I watched the Netflix doc ages ago but wasn’t it heavily hinted that he was the girls biological dad? i thought the Owl theory was bandied about because she had lacerations but no skull fractures? Which is why the poker as a murder weapon was contested?

My memory is getting tit nowadays or I watch too many of these crimes that I can’t remember what murder weapon goes with what murder 🙄

Fascinated by this case. Have seen the Netflix doco and listened to the bbc podcast which added interesting info about the financial difficulties the Petersens had.

I don’t think he was involved in the friends death in Germany. The PM said she had no head injuries but cranium filled with blood, recent headaches, I think they decided it was a subarachnoid haemorrhage? Which fits. She just so happened to be standing at the top of the stairs when she lost consciousness.

I still just cannot decide whether he killed Kathleen. With the financial difficulties and affairs there was possible motive, he was physically strong enough to have the means to kill, but I found the blood spatter evidence quite interesting especially just the limited physical space in the stairwell to bludgeon someone with a long blowpoke without striking the walls etc with the poke. She was intoxicated with diazepam in her system, I know it sounds batshit but I can’t discount owl theory. The lacerations on her scalp are consistent with a raptor attack, there were many reports of owls taking hats or clipping humans heads in the area, lots of tree cover when you see their garden… it’s not completely beyond the realm of possibility that she was struck by an owl and disorientated and intoxicated struggled up the stairs then fell to the bottom and bled out. From the evidence I’ve seen I definitely feel there is sufficient reasonable doubt.

• Heart
The first wife never died. The one who ended up at the bottom of the stairs in Germany was Martha and Margaret’s mother. His first wife was the mother of the two boys and they adopted the girls after their mother’s death.

I watched the Netflix doc ages ago but wasn’t it heavily hinted that he was the girls biological dad? i thought the Owl theory was bandied about because she had lacerations but no skull fractures? Which is why the poker as a murder weapon was contested?

My memory is getting tit nowadays or I watch too many of these crimes that I can’t remember what murder weapon goes with what murder 🙄
Oh yes, it was the family friend wasn’t it, not his wife. Very strange that their mum died falling down the stairs, then their adopted mum dies the same way and they didn’t even mention it until it came out later on? I would have been like ffs what are the chances.

Reactions: 4