The share my cat thread! #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a week try of tails ( the cat version can’t remember the name sorry) it was stews, pate etc and Nala couldn’t get enough of it! Could t afford to keep it up! So back to her normal food but I have been gettin her the little tins of weekends lol she had the Lilly’s Xmas dinners!
My boys loved the Lily’s Christmas Dinners!

Reactions: 2
My furry babies seem to love their new feeding bowls. They are designed to prevent whisker fatigue which I'd never heard of until my son (a very dedicated pet owner) told me about it. They do genuinely seem much happier eating from a dish like this than the narrower metal ones they had before and it's so cute seeing them lined up eating together.
20221231_194020.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My furry babies seem to love their new feeding bowls. They are designed to prevent whisker fatigue which I'd never heard of until my son (a very dedicated pet owner) told me about it. They do genuinely seem much happier eating from a dish like this than the narrower metal ones they had before and it's so cute seeing them lined up eating together.
View attachment 1846474
Can you show the bowls please I need a new one for Madam.
What beautiful cats 🐱

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What beautiful cats 🐱
I got them from amazon last week so they should still be available. They come as a set of three with the little circular silicone mats. The grey mat was from amazon as well, it was about £15. There is one that's twice the price of that for what seemed like the same product so I'm glad I found the cheaper one!
20230101_195124.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What beautiful cats 🐱
Yes please would be interested also, wonder if we could get them as raised bowls it seems to be better for their digestive system tia. Thank you will go and look

Reactions: 3
Thank you I will have a look. Although Nala Woukd eat off the floor given the chance lol

• Haha
Ive read once that a plate is better because a bowl hurts their whiskers dont know how true that is

Ive read once that a plate is better because a bowl hurts their whiskers dont know how true that is
This is why I will never ever leave tattle.I have had cats all my life and had not heard of whisker fatigue until I read it here. Apologies I can’t remember who originally posted it to credit them. My big cat has been a bit weird with his eating and after Googling whisker fatigue I immediately started feeding him on a wider plate and he’s perked up instantly. And yes apparently whisker fatigue causes sensory issues , stress and pain.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hiya, I’m sorry to trouble you all but I was wondering if it was okay to ask a question for some advice/reassurance from an experienced cat owners.

The backstory is that I have a two year old boy Orion. A real cuddly boy and a proper lap cat. Well 2 weeks ago I picked up my new baby an 8 week old Ragdoll girl who i have named Toast She is the most lovable kitten ever, and is just wonderful too.
I wanted to find out what you all thought about when I should intervene when they are playing.

The breeder of the ragdoll brought her over to ensere he was going to a good home and opened the carrier in my living room and let the kitten out. Orion hissed and grumbled but watched curiously so i was told it was a good sign. I know this is not the norm and I’m worried this has caused harm as it’s not what is advised for introductions.

Toast goes to a separate room to sleep and Orion gets full roam of the flat at night and when she’s sleeping during the day but separated by a baby gate. And now that it’s week 2 I’ve removed the gate and now i’m letting them spend supervised time with each other when im in my flat. There is never any hissing or growling whatsoever between the two of them now, but sometimes Orion follows Toast around, watching her, then pounces on her and it all looks so rough!! Orion sort of pins Toast down and bites her (not hard, he’s never hurt her or sent fur flying), normally on the neck or tummy area and kicks at her with his back legs (as they do!) and then tries his best to lick her, especially her bum. She squeals and yells something awful.
I think Orion is being a bully and trying to tell her who’s boss but Toast is still a bit weary of him. I’ve been trying to distract them by creating a loud noise and sepating Toast for a few minutes to let them both cool off. But I’m still terrified Orion will hurt Toast! So I just wanted your advice on what you think I should do. It's hard to tell the difference between playing and fighting and my fear is that I'm mistaking playing for fighting, and vice versa! I dont get the feeling that Orion is being aggressive, he is being very dominant though in my opinion!

1. Should I just let them get on with it and not intervene?

2. Is this completely normal and will it settle down over time?

3. Will it get better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I know it's only been two weeks but I live alone and I'm finding it all so overwhelming and think I've made the wrong decision. Most nights my mental health declines to a low because of all my emotions.

Thanks!

• Heart
Hiya, I’m sorry to trouble you all but I was wondering if it was okay to ask a question for some advice/reassurance from an experienced cat owners.

The backstory is that I have a two year old boy Orion. A real cuddly boy and a proper lap cat. Well 2 weeks ago I picked up my new baby an 8 week old Ragdoll girl who i have named Toast She is the most lovable kitten ever, and is just wonderful too.
I wanted to find out what you all thought about when I should intervene when they are playing.

The breeder of the ragdoll brought her over to ensere he was going to a good home and opened the carrier in my living room and let the kitten out. Orion hissed and grumbled but watched curiously so i was told it was a good sign. I know this is not the norm and I’m worried this has caused harm as it’s not what is advised for introductions.

Toast goes to a separate room to sleep and Orion gets full roam of the flat at night and when she’s sleeping during the day but separated by a baby gate. And now that it’s week 2 I’ve removed the gate and now i’m letting them spend supervised time with each other when im in my flat. There is never any hissing or growling whatsoever between the two of them now, but sometimes Orion follows Toast around, watching her, then pounces on her and it all looks so rough!! Orion sort of pins Toast down and bites her (not hard, he’s never hurt her or sent fur flying), normally on the neck or tummy area and kicks at her with his back legs (as they do!) and then tries his best to lick her, especially her bum. She squeals and yells something awful.
I think Orion is being a bully and trying to tell her who’s boss but Toast is still a bit weary of him. I’ve been trying to distract them by creating a loud noise and sepating Toast for a few minutes to let them both cool off. But I’m still terrified Orion will hurt Toast! So I just wanted your advice on what you think I should do. It's hard to tell the difference between playing and fighting and my fear is that I'm mistaking playing for fighting, and vice versa! I dont get the feeling that Orion is being aggressive, he is being very dominant though in my opinion!

3. Will it get better?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I know it's only been two weeks but I live alone and I'm finding it all so overwhelming and think I've made the wrong decision. Most nights my mental health declines to a low because of all my emotions.

Thanks!
So I have two boys, got the kitten when my other cat was a bit over 1 year old. The initial plan was to do the proper introduction with keeping the kitten in one room, then introducing through glass door first etc but that went out the window immediately since my cat was too curious and clawing at the door where the kitten was. We actually ended up just letting them meet each other immediately. There wasn't any hissing but my older cat was freaked out, scared at first, then attacking the kitten. Then for the next few weeks/months (can't remember) it was the same as with yours, he was playing so rough with the kitten! He was also grooming him sometimes but mostly attacking him at every opportunity. We were only really intervening when the kitten was meowing when being attacked or it was just getting extremely rough.

After a while, the kitten got slightly bigger and they are good friends now. They both attack and chase each other. The kitten is still much smaller than the big boy tbh but they play together. So it definitely gets better. It doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about with your cats.

It's only week 2 for you and it sounds like they are just playing so try to supervise them as much as you can and maybe intervene if it's getting very aggressive. If they're playing,cats usually tend to stop every so often to take a breather. If it was a proper fight, they wouldn't be stopping and it would be escalating, i think.

Some of my friends cats didn't get on for about 6 months and were fighting to the extreme and now are great friends, so I think you're safe with yours if they're already not too bad after a couple weeks. Your boy is probably just trying to show who's the boss 😅 I pretty much did the exact same things as you're doing now and there is no problem leaving my cats alone together even for 24h. They sleep in the same room, eat together, play, so it's all good

So I have two boys, got the kitten when my other cat was a bit over 1 year old. The initial plan was to do the proper introduction with keeping the kitten in one room, then introducing through glass door first etc but that went out the window immediately since my cat was too curious and clawing at the door where the kitten was. We actually ended up just letting them meet each other immediately. There wasn't any hissing but my older cat was freaked out, scared at first, then attacking the kitten. Then for the next few weeks/months (can't remember) it was the same as with yours, he was playing so rough with the kitten! He was also grooming him sometimes but mostly attacking him at every opportunity. We were only really intervening when the kitten was meowing when being attacked or it was just getting extremely rough.

After a while, the kitten got slightly bigger and they are good friends now. They both attack and chase each other. The kitten is still much smaller than the big boy tbh but they play together. So it definitely gets better. It doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about with your cats.

It's only week 2 for you and it sounds like they are just playing so try to supervise them as much as you can and maybe intervene if it's getting very aggressive. If they're playing,cats usually tend to stop every so often to take a breather. If it was a proper fight, they wouldn't be stopping and it would be escalating, i think.

Some of my friends cats didn't get on for about 6 months and were fighting to the extreme and now are great friends, so I think you're safe with yours if they're already not too bad after a couple weeks. Your boy is probably just trying to show who's the boss 😅
Totally agree with this, what would be weird for us (without claws :ROFLMAO:) is actually pretty normal for cats.This also might be a way of older cat teaching the little one how to/not to behave. My older girl grew up more or less alone and she is quite vicious with me at times (despite being veryyyy purry and happy with me usually, and I read that this is apparnetly them not understanding how much biting etc hurts, usually their mum/dad/older sibling would be sort of vicious to them and teach them that it is not nice

The Ragdoll should not have left the breeder until 13 weeks old they need there mother until then as they mature slower than normal cats not mature until four year old. Has the older cat been spaded? Could also be dominance ours hissed at one another four about 48 hours then nothing we where lucky with ours I had mixed up the dates of when they would arrive so they where all together from the beginning only seperate at night for about five days as they wrecked the pen so left them out at night they soon follow the big girls upstairs to sleep. Hope you find the solution enjoy your new kitty.

Reactions: 1
God I love cats.

I’m interested though, what food do you all feed yours? I have a 16 year old, 3 and 1 year old. All snipped boys and house cats.

Can anyone offer me an insight on this? I tried Lily’s Kitchen but holy hell it’s expensive.
Mine eats Aldi. I’ve got him all sorts but he either licks all the jelly off (he won’t have food in gravy) or he ignores it completely. At least it’s cheap !

3. Will it get better?

Thanks!
My oldest cat is a female and the two ginger toms absolutely love body slamming her. She's tiny but they know to only do it once 🤣 she's raised them both from kittens so I think she's more of a mother figure to them both as she can spend absolutely forever grooming them! She came around much quicker to my older boy but after a month or so of putting my younger one in his place they all get on well now.
The two boys will play much rougher together though. Unlike with a puppy where you'd force a nap on them to chill them out that doesn't really happen with kittens so it might be good to give them both a bit of alone time

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve also come here for advice 😭 I have done so much research and currently working with my vet but the progress is slow

Has anyone’s cat has stress related urinary issues? My boy has been put on anxiety medication (and very expensive food to avoid any blocking) and it seems to be working but at times needs to be increased temporarily as it stops working. I assume it’s because he gets more stressed and I’m planning on asking the vet about it too

Im starting to think the increased stress is caused by our dog walkers as he was fairly good until they showed up after Christmas again. He’s not keen on meeting new people unless it’s on his terms so introductions probably aren’t going to work. I’m planning to get one of those pet cameras to see if there’s anything they do that he particularly doesn’t like, but does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these sort of issues?

• Sad
I’ve also come here for advice 😭 I have done so much research and currently working with my vet but the progress is slow

Has anyone’s cat has stress related urinary issues? My boy has been put on anxiety medication (and very expensive food to avoid any blocking) and it seems to be working but at times needs to be increased temporarily as it stops working. I assume it’s because he gets more stressed and I’m planning on asking the vet about it too

Im starting to think the increased stress is caused by our dog walkers as he was fairly good until they showed up after Christmas again. He’s not keen on meeting new people unless it’s on his terms so introductions probably aren’t going to work. I’m planning to get one of those pet cameras to see if there’s anything they do that he particularly doesn’t like, but does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these sort of issues?
Someone else here definitely had this issue before, sorry I cannot remember who. I haven't but have you tried just keeping the cat away from the dog walkers totallly? even maybe not letting them inside if that would be possible?

Someone else here definitely had this issue before, sorry I cannot remember who. I haven't but have you tried just keeping the cat away from the dog walkers totallly? even maybe not letting them inside if that would be possible?
Unfortunately they have to come into the house to get the dogs as one of them isn’t totally keen on walking with “strangers” (even though she sees them frequently) 😭 it means they walk past my room where the cat normally hangs out

I’ll move the dog leashes down by the door and see if that at least reduces the amount of traffic on the days the dogs are feeling a bit more cooperative and come to the doors themselves though. Haven’t thought of that so thank you!

Unfortunately they have to come into the house to get the dogs as one of them isn’t totally keen on walking with “strangers” (even though she sees them frequently) 😭 it means they walk past my room where the cat normally hangs out

I’ll move the dog leashes down by the door and see if that at least reduces the amount of traffic on the days the dogs are feeling a bit more cooperative and come to the doors themselves though. Haven’t thought of that so thank you!
have you tried feliway plug ins ? they can reduce anxiety (doesn't work in all cats though)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.