The share my cat thread! #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i can't even believe i'm writing this but roisin might get a little brother or sister in a few months 💖💖💖

i'm not allowing myself to get too excited but i did want to ask if anyone has any tips for introducing a kitten to a cat?
omg!!! exciting (possible) news! I did this last year, I sort of stuck to the advice, let them smell something of each other for a day or so before they meet (they ended up meeting pretty much asap though), when they do make sure they are doing it during either playing or (more realistically) surrounded by dreamies. And make sure there are places for each to hide. Also make sure you give beautiful roisin lots of attention, always feed her first etc, I still do this now almost a year later.
That said a lot of it just depends on the cats' personalities. My cat is very growly and hissy and she raected like that (at first) while my (stupid but cute) kitten just didn't react which made things much easier. I have been in the situation where the kitten gets aggressive and it is very difficult to come back from. I would also say, generally, if you have a female (which I assume Rosin is!) get a male kitten.
Now my cat still gets angry with her little brother and hisses/growls etc but they also often sleep/play/wash each other. The first time I saw my cat washing him my heart almost burst with the cuteness!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
omg!!! exciting (possible) news! I did this last year, I sort of stuck to the advice, let them smell something of each other for a day or so before they meet (they ended up meeting pretty much asap though), when they do make sure they are doing it during either playing or (more realistically) surrounded by dreamies. And make sure there are places for each to hide. Also make sure you give beautiful roisin lots of attention, always feed her first etc, I still do this now almost a year later.
That said a lot of it just depends on the cats' personalities. My cat is very growly and hissy and she raected like that (at first) while my (stupid but cute) kitten just didn't react which made things much easier. I have been in the situation where the kitten gets aggressive and it is very difficult to come back from. I would also say, generally, if you have a female (which I assume Rosin is!) get a male kitten.
Now my cat still gets angry with her little brother and hisses/growls etc but they also often sleep/play/wash each other. The first time I saw my cat washing him my heart almost burst with the cuteness!
omg thank you so much! 🥰 thankfully i think i could have a set up where they would each have their own room so that they have enough personal space. roisin is indeed female and she's very calm, i've only heard her hiss once in her life but i can imagine she'd get jealous because she's obsessed with me! so i was thinking in general we'll have to shower her with attention but feeding her first is a really good tip!

look at me not getting excited at all 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
omg thank you so much! 🥰 thankfully i think i could have a set up where they would each have their own room so that they have enough personal space. roisin is indeed female and she's very calm, i've only heard her hiss once in her life but i can imagine she'd get jealous because she's obsessed with me! so i was thinking in general we'll have to shower her with attention but feeding her first is a really good tip!

I have a spare room so technically could have put them in a room each but then I also realised by cat would be annoyed not having free reign of the whole flat so didn't bother :ROFLMAO: god if I could afford it I would be getting a third kitten! can't wait for photos 🤞

• Heart

I'm squealing for you! What I found easiest was to get some wire fencing stuff from a hardware shop and block off a room with the kitten in it, but leave the door open. That way the cats can see and smell one another but there's no physical contact and sweetie Roisin can still have most of the house. I hope I'm explaining it correctly, I got the idea by googling the best way to introduce them and that's what worked for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm squealing for you! What I found easiest was to get some wire fencing stuff from a hardware shop and block off a room with the kitten in it, but leave the door open. That way the cats can see and smell one another but there's no physical contact and sweetie Roisin can still have most of the house. I hope I'm explaining it correctly, I got the idea by googling the best way to introduce them and that's what worked for us.
oh yes i've actually seen that in some videos explaining things like this, thank you so much, really good idea! i think i might even have some at home because we made some kind of a fence for our balcony so that roisin can supervise the neighbourhood without me being scared she'll fall 😄

btw the potential kitten was born yesterday 🥺🥺🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hey all, just looking for a bit of advice. I have two young cats (brother and sister) that I rescued as kittens last year. Sadly, we’ve had a lot of disruption (I’ve moved house twice). Plus I work from home so I’m always around

My boy has settled down fine- he’s a little skittish sometimes but other than that is fine.
Im having a lot of toileting problems with my girl though and I’m at a loss what to do. Sometimes for no rhyme or reason she’s peeing outside the litter box.

I have the recommended 3 litters, kept in low traffic and private areas away from food and drink. I scoop the litters multiple times a day, although granted probably don’t get all of the dirty bits out. And fully change the litter and clean the litter box 1-2 times a week. Sometimes the litter can be perfectly clean and she will just go to a corner and pee on the carpet. I’ve noticed she will meow at me and if I don’t get up with her/ investigate what she wants she will pee nearby on the carpet. Sometimes I have to take her to the toilet/ pop her in the litter tray to get her to use it. I’m at a loss at what to do. Could it be anxiety related? Or just that she needs training?

• Heart
Hey all, just looking for a bit of advice. I have two young cats (brother and sister) that I rescued as kittens last year. Sadly, we’ve had a lot of disruption (I’ve moved house twice). Plus I work from home so I’m always around

My boy has settled down fine- he’s a little skittish sometimes but other than that is fine.
Im having a lot of toileting problems with my girl though and I’m at a loss what to do. Sometimes for no rhyme or reason she’s peeing outside the litter box.

I have the recommended 3 litters, kept in low traffic and private areas away from food and drink. I scoop the litters multiple times a day, although granted probably don’t get all of the dirty bits out. And fully change the litter and clean the litter box 1-2 times a week. Sometimes the litter can be perfectly clean and she will just go to a corner and pee on the carpet. I’ve noticed she will meow at me and if I don’t get up with her/ investigate what she wants she will pee nearby on the carpet. Sometimes I have to take her to the toilet/ pop her in the litter tray to get her to use it. I’m at a loss at what to do. Could it be anxiety related? Or just that she needs training?
Not at all an expert but is she neutered yet? I know it is usually boys that do this when uneautered but it might be that, my little girl did it a bit when she was a kitten, another female cat actually did it after neutering as she found it painful to get into the box with her scar so we had to get a shallower one. it might also be worth buying a new type of cat litter to see if she prefers it?

• Heart
Not at all an expert but is she neutered yet? I know it is usually boys that do this when uneautered but it might be that, my little girl did it a bit when she was a kitten, another female cat actually did it after neutering as she found it painful to get into the box with her scar so we had to get a shallower one. it might also be worth buying a new type of cat litter to see if she prefers it?
Yes! And now you mention it the problems started to get worse after she was neutered. She was in a lot of pain and very miserable during the recovery time. She’s really small for her age so I wonder if she was a little bit too young and I should have waited and she’s developed a bit of an aversion to the litter box because it reminds her of pain maybe. I’ve tried a few different kinds of litter because I wondered if catsan was maybe too harsh on her paws.

@MaineCoonMama honestly I’ve tried loads. I’ve even got a plug in that’s supposed to be calming for them. I’ve tried treats after she goes to the toilet in the right place. Trying to build in key toilet times (put her in her litter before bed and meals). I’m hoping maybe she just grows out of it

• Heart
Yes! And now you mention it the problems started to get worse after she was neutered. She was in a lot of pain and very miserable during the recovery time. She’s really small for her age so I wonder if she was a little bit too young and I should have waited and she’s developed a bit of an aversion to the litter box because it reminds her of pain maybe. I’ve tried a few different kinds of litter because I wondered if catsan was maybe too harsh on her paws.

@MaineCoonMama honestly I’ve tried loads. I’ve even got a plug in that’s supposed to be calming for them. I’ve tried treats after she goes to the toilet in the right place. Trying to build in key toilet times (put her in her litter before bed and meals). I’m hoping maybe she just grows out of it
Best of luck, I'm lucky my three don't poo or wee out of the box but I had a cat years ago who peed on everything. I had to get rid of all my beanbags, my couch and a rug because they just stank of wee!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4

have you taken her to the vet yet? she could have an infection (which could also be anxiety related), or she might have kidney stones. it's best to eliminate phsyical things first, so a visit to the vet, different litter, a different litter box, since you've tried those things maybe moving the litter box somewhere else? how many litter boxes do you have? i think i read somewhere it's advised to have as many as there are cats plus 1 more. you could also try using feliway in the rooms where the litter boxes are and somehow associating the litter box to something good. if it's anxiety then lots of extra attention & playing time. good luck 💖

he is absolutely gorgeous 😍😍😍😍

• Heart
Reactions: 6
have you taken her to the vet yet? she could have an infection (which could also be anxiety related), or she might have kidney stones. it's best to eliminate phsyical things first, so a visit to the vet, different litter, a different litter box, since you've tried those things maybe moving the litter box somewhere else? how many litter boxes do you have? i think i read somewhere it's advised to have as many as there are cats plus 1 more. you could also try using feliway in the rooms where the litter boxes are and somehow associating the litter box to something good. if it's anxiety then lots of extra attention & playing time. good luck 💖

he is absolutely gorgeous 😍😍😍😍
also not sure what one you have but maybe get one of the ones with a "roof" if you don't have one, cats like the privacy imo (despite the fact that mine seem incapable of giving me privacy in my bathroom :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
I like to be prepared I'm probably going to get a cat (probably 2) at the end of the year, anyone got any suggestions for cute/nice looking beds/bowls etc. Or any toys or anything else your cat loves. I was looking at a wall mounted scratching post, does anyone have one? Do your cats use it? Thought it would save some space but previous cats I’ve had have never used a scratching post.
They will be indoor cats, I have already bought some toys. Mainly bought toys which I can feed their meals in to make them work for their food to try and prevent them getting fat! I only bought them because I was buying something else from a shop online which had £7 delivery free so I bought the cat stuff so I’d get free delivery but thought I may as well keep buying things to be prepared and to spread the cost over the year rather than buying everything all at once.

I’ll probably buy all this stuff and the cats will sit on the bed/sofa and scratch the furniture 😂

• Heart
I like to be prepared I'm probably going to get a cat (probably 2) at the end of the year, anyone got any suggestions for cute/nice looking beds/bowls etc. Or any toys or anything else your cat loves. I was looking at a wall mounted scratching post, does anyone have one? Do your cats use it? Thought it would save some space but previous cats I’ve had have never used a scratching post.
They will be indoor cats, I have already bought some toys. Mainly bought toys which I can feed their meals in to make them work for their food to try and prevent them getting fat! I only bought them because I was buying something else from a shop online which had £7 delivery free so I bought the cat stuff so I’d get free delivery but thought I may as well keep buying things to be prepared and to spread the cost over the year rather than buying everything all at once.

I’ll probably buy all this stuff and the cats will sit on the bed/sofa and scratch the furniture 😂
My cats have a couple of bought toys they like but their favourite thing is straws and hair ties! Every time I move the rug there's lots of them underneath it. Balled up tinfoil is also a favourite. A tip for when they're naughty-and they will be- is one of those plastic spray bottles. They're so cheap and the cats hate being sprayed so they usually stop their naughtiness pretty quickly. I keep one in the bedroom for when they scratch the bed and one in the kitchen for when my little girl tries to drink out of the tap.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

they will inevitably :ROFLMAO: whatever you buy, my cats love toys with feathers on though

Reactions: 2
my girl also loves her tunnel!

the biggest hit with her is this:

Untitled.png

i put it by a window so she can watch the world when she's done playing 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The tunnel is next to her, she was actually trying to grab a bag of yams I was putting away. Everything is a toy for Susan.
0D668919-24BD-4397-9425-D0AAA0EAB6B1.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.