The Royal Family #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ceebeebies was just cut off for 'major news announcement' on bbc1. Little ones fuming.
I cant believe how much the actor who played him in the crown looks like him when he was younger!
Both Matt Smith and Tobias Menzies were fantastic. I totally believed they were Philip.

Im really surprised that the news didn’t leak out on social media beforehand as I was sure it would. I’m assuming there was an embargo and it was respected.

Reactions: 14
Both Matt Smith and Tobias Menzies were fantastic. I totally believed they were Philip.

Im really surprised that the news didn’t leak out on social media beforehand as I was sure it would. I’m assuming there was an embargo and it was respected.
I saw it on Instagram first, but it was the official RF’s post.

Reactions: 4

When was it released 12 noon? It broke on tattle (for me) before the BBC announcement. My local radio station (BBC) then didn't break it for a few minutes after that, I could hear the presenters panic trying to interject with the news. They've now just gone to London for the rest of the afternoon.
It says he died this morning they did well to keep it out of social media until then and I feel the media were surprised

Reactions: 4
My son is in a branch of the Royal Navy and was on standby for PP’s death. He would have been en route to London now but has moved to a new position. His old crew mates will go.
He’s so pleased he doesn’t have to go but I think it would have been fascinating.

Reactions: 8
When was it released 12 noon? It broke on tattle (for me) before the BBC announcement. My local radio station (BBC) then didn't break it for a few minutes after that, I could hear the presenters panic trying to interject with the news. They've now just gone to London for the rest of the afternoon.
It says he died this morning they did well to keep it out of social media until then and I feel the media were surprised
Yes it was announced at noon. My Dad was listening to Radio 2 and it just went silent before the announcement was made. Someone on mumsnet has said that he died in his sleep, but I can’t find any official confirmation of that anywhere. But I’d imagine thats a nice way to go if true.

Reactions: 9
I think that it's a shame that he spent all those weeks in hospital, presumably undergoing treatment and procedures, when the inevitable was always going to happen. Better, surely, just to have been kept comfortable at home ?

Reactions: 11
Yes it was announced at noon. My Dad was listening to Radio 2 and it just went silent before the announcement was made.
Just checked, tattle had it at 12.06, and I immediately checked bbc news and it hadn't been announced. So did they announce it via social media first? I wonder if radio 2 had it before that.
There was a flurry of public engagements following the Oprah interview but its been quiet for a few weeks?

Reactions: 3
Did anyone watch My years with the queen on itv last week, it was quite good, I loved seeing the bridesmaids dresses. Anyway Lady Pamela Hicks detailed how the Queen fought opposition to marry Philip, and that she didn't feel he was in love with her at the time but grew to love her.

Reactions: 9
I think they probably have been leading separate lives over the last couple of decades.I also think they really did love each other at the start of their relationship.Heartbroken for The Queen.

Reactions: 8
I'm a monarchist, and I am more concerned that the Commonwealth realms will fall apart. Prince Philip's passing, may he rest in peace, is another setback.

Reactions: 3
They were. They made him far more interesting and complex than the one dimensional racist old man everyone thought he was.

I thought that they lived separate lives anyway, Prince Philip with his latest mistress at Sandringham .
I think they were, but he was still around. My parents have been married 50 years and can barely tolerate each other, but I've no doubt that when one of them goes, the other will be lost 🙁.
I got the feeling The Queen was still madly in love with him, despite the mistresses, every time I saw them together. Its The Queens birthday on the 21st April too.

I'm a monarchist, and I am more concerned that the Commonwealth realms will fall apart. Prince Philip's passing, may he rest in peace, is another setback.
I dont think The Commonweath will be much ffected by Philip passing, but I think it may all fall apart when the Queen dies. A lot of it is held together by respect for The Queen rather than a great love of the Monarchy in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
I am worried about the Queen now though. It’s not unusual in elderly couples who’ve been married for such a long time like this, that when one dies the other isn’t far behind. I really don’t think this country could cope with losing HM on top of everything else (Covid, Brexit, the threat of Scotland leaving the Union etc). Psychologically I think it would do a lot of damage. She is the one constant in all our lives, there are few people alive who can remember a time before her. Even my Dad whos in his 70’s can’t remember the Queen not being on the throne.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
One of the royal reporters on the radio was saying how the Queen always smiled around and when she saw Phillip. He is the only man in her life she's ever known since she was young.

Reactions: 18
I remember when my aunt died she was 99 and we really and still do feel the loss of her.
Same when my Grandad died at 99. His decline was very sudden, he’d been living independently and was looking forward to his 100th birthday until about six weeks before. Even though you know they won’t last forever the thought of them not being around is unimaginable because they have always been there.

ITV newsflash interrupts This Morning.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.