The Royal Family #43

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The announcement today definitely feels like they’re testing the water for the very real possibility that KC won’t survive or will abdicate to PW.

Harry being recalled, the working royals almost decimated and two serious health issues announced for two of the top four in a couple of weeks seems a bit much. Very sad to see.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
People over 70 react more harshly to chemotherapy, I don’t know what to tell you. Does it happen? Yes. I should have modified my comment to say “generally dont” but here we are.

But they generally don’t like to do it on older patients/ over 65’s as the risks can outweigh the benefits. If he’s going to be up and doing his duties while having treatment I very much doubt it is chemo. Happy to be wrong, it doesn’t affect my life. For his children and grandchildren I hope whatever treatment he has works and he can be around longer for them.
Hi, I’m medical. Generally speaking don’t comment on this thread but just want to stop the false information as this is something that affects lots of people who may be reading this. There’s no age limit for chemo. Doctors will assess the patient as a whole to decide if they should be offered chemo or alternative therapies. Sometimes chemo isn’t even first-line for some cancers. Decisions will be made based on current patient health, their health pre-illness, their perceived strength to cope with the chemo in the present time, patient’s choice and the prognosis for an uncomplicated life post-chemo.

• Heart
Reactions: 105
Dare I ask - what would Queen Camilla's official title be moved to if the King dies?
Technically she'd be a dowager Queen, since she's currently a queen consort. They'd have to work out a title to distinguish her from Kate, who would then become The Queen. The same thing happened with the Queen Mother (also a queen consort), but at the time it was easier for her to become known by that title since QEII was so young and the QM was a fairly young widow.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Dare I ask - what would Queen Camilla's official title be moved to if the King dies?
HM Queen Camilla, just like Queen Alexandra, Queen Adelaide and Queen Mary. She would be a Queen Dowager, just like Queen Adelaide, as she is not the mother of the next monarch. Queens Alexandra, Mary and Elizabeth were Queens Mother as mother of the monarch; Queen Elizabeth was known as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother only because she had the same name as her daughter and they needed to be distinguished from one another.

Camilla doesn't need another title as she retains her title of HM Queen Camilla but she would no longer be The Queen. Queen Alexandra was referred to as such when Queen Mary was The Queen, and Queen Mary was still alive and referred to as HM Queen Mary during her son's reign when Queen Elizabeth was The Queen and at the beginning of her granddaughter's reign.

Kate would be The Queen as wife of The King. King William and Queen Catherine. So you could get descriptions like "HM The Queen and HM Queen Camilla were present...".

Edit for corrections and additions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Hi, I’m medical. Generally speaking don’t comment on this thread but just want to stop the false information as this is something that affects lots of people who may be reading this. There’s no age limit for chemo. Doctors will assess the patient as a whole to decide if they should be offered chemo or alternative therapies. Sometimes chemo isn’t even first-line for some cancers. Decisions will be made based on current patient health, their health pre-illness, their perceived strength to cope with the chemo in the present time, patient’s choice and the prognosis for an uncomplicated life post-chemo.
also medical, admittedly not oncology. I’m aware there’s a whole lot of things that do go into those decisions but age is absolutely one of them. We don’t know a thing about his health right now outside of he has cancer in an unspecified area. We don’t know his staging, we don’t know his general health, his fitness levels, his immune system, none of it.

When I was on my oncology placement there was a case of a 76 year old woman with breast cancer and the oncologist absolutely didn’t do chemo on her, mainly because of her age and the staging. She got radiation and made a full recovery. Literature also points to patients over 65 having a higher risk of having harsher reactions. Is the decision for treatement options made on a case by case basis? Absolutely but age is factored.

other treatment options aren’t lesser. He has the best drs in the country working on him, they’ll do what’s best.

Reactions: 7
Probably only a matter of time before Harry makes an announcement that he will recommence light duties or some such to support his father, with some kind of comment that his stepping away was never intended to be permanent. I don’t believe Meghan will ever return to duties in any capacity. In a decade who do they think will be working Wales will be still very young Anne etc will all be elderly and others are basically too far removed at this point.

Reactions: 9
also medical, admittedly not oncology. I’m aware there’s a whole lot of things that do go into those decisions but age is absolutely one of them. We don’t know a thing about his health right now outside of he has cancer in an unspecified area. We don’t know his staging, we don’t know his general health, his fitness levels, his immune system, none of it.

When I was on my oncology placement there was a case of a 76 year old woman with breast cancer and the oncologist absolutely didn’t do chemo on her, mainly because of her age and the staging. She got radiation and made a full recovery. Literature also points to patients over 65 having a higher risk of having harsher reactions. Is the decision for treatement options made on a case by case basis? Absolutely but age is factored.

other treatment options aren’t lesser. He has the best drs in the country working on him, they’ll do what’s best.
Not here to discuss this specific case with you as if you’re a medic, you’ll know yourself you shouldn’t be speculating publicly on people’s health, I was just putting the proper info out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Probably only a matter of time before Harry makes an announcement that he will recommence light duties or some such to support his father, with some kind of comment that his stepping away was never intended to be permanent. I don’t believe Meghan will ever return to duties in any capacity. In a decade who do they think will be working Wales will be still very young Anne etc will all be elderly and others are basically too far removed at this point.
as much as it pains me I could see Harry coming back to do occasional works too. I agree that Meghan will never come back but weirder things have happened.
---
Not here to discuss this specific case with you as if you’re a medic, you’ll know yourself you shouldn’t be speculating publicly on people’s health, I was just putting the proper info out there.
we’ll leave it there so. At least we agree that we wish him a speedy recovery.

Reactions: 5
I am unsure on this as Harry has gone on such an attack on the British press that the odds of him getting positive attention for the royals is not high. Add to that just how unpopular Meghan is and you'd basically have him having to be in the UK solo for all of those "light duties."
I could maybe see him blagging his way into work in the commonwealth, where he and Meghan may have retained some popularity, but wheeling Harry out to the British masses feels rather a foolish endeavour at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
He and Meghan didn’t get what they wanted namely money money money so I doubt they’ll ever want to go back unless their insane demands were met. As they have the mental capacity of a two year old.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

I'm a doctor.

Age really isn't a factor on it's own. It's performance status (because chemo usually takes a person down 1 level on that, so if we're giving it to someone bedbound they're likely to hit PS5 - dead!), whether chemotherapy is actually needed based on the tumours characteristics, and whether it'd do any good. Often we treat ER+/PR+ breast cancers with hormonal therapy, resection and radiotherapy only - this really is standard practice and the lack of chemotherapy isn't due to age. Triple negatives always, always get chemotherapy if we're actually planning to treat it. It depends on the tumour itself, not the patient's age.

Of course older, frailer patients are more likely to get side effects from chemo. But that doesn't mean we don't offer it at all. It means it's stopped if the effect is bad enough. We also don't only give chemo for curative intent, plenty of it is palliative (and gentler).

Oncologists will usually give anybody who'd benefit in even the slightest way a good go of chemo to be honest, even if it's seemingly futile. They've got a reputation amongst other doctors for this. How many oncologists do you need to be pallbearers at a funeral? Five. Four to carry the casket, one to hang the chemo...

I wouldn't want anybody to be put off from going getting something checked because they think they're too old to be treated. I had a case of this a few years ago, where a lady in her 80s didn't think she should or could get a breast lump checked because 'she's too old to get anything' (we operate on ladies even into their 90s, btw). So by the time anybody found out, she had a fungating breast mass and brain mets. Absolutely grim.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Technically she'd be a dowager Queen, since she's currently a queen consort. They'd have to work out a title to distinguish her from Kate, who would then become The Queen. The same thing happened with the Queen Mother (also a queen consort), but at the time it was easier for her to become known by that title since QEII was so young and the QM was a fairly young widow.
And also Queen Mary was Queen Dowager when The Queen ascended the throne, so it was to differentiate between the 2 dowagers.

Reactions: 4
I am unsure on this as Harry has gone on such an attack on the British press that the odds of him getting positive attention for the royals is not high. Add to that just how unpopular Meghan is and you'd basically have him having to be in the UK solo for all of those "light duties."
I could maybe see him blagging his way into work in the commonwealth, where he and Meghan may have retained some popularity, but wheeling Harry out to the British masses feels rather a foolish endeavour at this point.
Not like there are 10 more there as back up instead of him though is it? When all is said and done it’s his birthright, Charles was forgiven by the British public for a very public affair a messy divorce and how he was perceived as treating Diana. Time will tell. Zara doesn’t have a title so not the same kudos as a guest at an event especially outside the UK, the York’s have their fathers legacy to contend with and Edwards 2, I don’t even know their names off the top of my head. Who else is there? Who wants some distant cousin it’s hardly worth it.

Reactions: 5
I wouldn't want anybody to be put off from going getting something checked because they think they're too old to be treated. I had a case of this a few years ago, where a lady in her 80s didn't think she should or could get a breast lump checked because 'she's too old to get anything' (we operate on ladies even into their 90s, btw). So by the time anybody found out, she had a fungating breast mass and brain mets. Absolutely grim.
Oh I agree you’re never too old to be treated in some form and should always go get checked, everyone is deserving of treatment. You’re never too old for care. I’d hate that to be the takeaway from this.

• Heart
I watched the ITV news announcement, the newsreader seemed on the verge of tears almost. Why are they all wearing black and acting very sombre? Feels as though they are preparing for the worst.
I noticed that too! Mary Nightingale was choking up and very hoarse at moments. I remember watching her live announce the Queen’s death and you could see how nervous and emotional she was.

Reactions: 8
Sorry to be thick

Can we skip ahead a few years - Williams died , George is on the throne - is Catherine then Queen Catherine or does she become the Kings mother ?

Sorry my pee head is trying to keep track

Reactions: 2
Sorry to be thick

Can we skip ahead a few years - Williams died , George is on the throne - is Catherine then Queen Catherine or does she become the Kings mother ?

She'll be Queen Catherine, as long as George doesn't marry a woman called Catherine.

The Queen Mother was mainly because we'd have had two Queen Elizabeths, would have been far too confusing.

Sorry to be thick

No, she would still be Queen Mother … it is her that is the (former) Queen, it makes no difference if the monarch is king or queen.

Reactions: 1
So QE2's death was codenamed London Bridge, Prince Philip's was Forth Bridge, I wonder what KC3's is named unless it's still London Bridge and William's is Second Severn Crossing lol

• Sick
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.