Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ilovetrashtv

People over 70 react more harshly to chemotherapy, I don’t know what to tell you. Does it happen? Yes. I should have modified my comment to say “generally dont” but here we are.

But they generally don’t like to do it on older patients/ over 65’s as the risks can outweigh the benefits. If he’s going to be up and doing his duties while having treatment I very much doubt it is chemo. Happy to be wrong, it doesn’t affect my life. For his children and grandchildren I hope whatever treatment he has works and he can be around longer for them.
Hi, I’m medical. Generally speaking don’t comment on this thread but just want to stop the false information as this is something that affects lots of people who may be reading this. There’s no age limit for chemo. Doctors will assess the patient as a whole to decide if they should be offered chemo or alternative therapies. Sometimes chemo isn’t even first-line for some cancers. Decisions will be made based on current patient health, their health pre-illness, their perceived strength to cope with the chemo in the present time, patient’s choice and the prognosis for an uncomplicated life post-chemo.

• Heart
Reactions: 105

Eirawen

VIP Member
The King is to be praised for his openess it will raise cancer awareness. I wish him all the best 🙏

• Heart
Reactions: 66

Alj86

Yes they won’t do chemo if you’re 70 or over just radiation and surgery. Hopefully it hasn’t spread.

I don’t really mind too much if George becomes PoW young. William (hopefully) has 30/40+ years left in him and George will be roughly Williams age if not older when he takes the crown, if there’s a crown to take.

I wonder would Camila carry on with Royal duty or retire.
There are many people over 70 who have chemotherapy

Reactions: 50

MemoryLane

Chatty Member
The Harry and Meghan hate is something I have never understood, some really nasty people out there.

The Royal Family are not perfect, I don't blame them for leaving the circus.
At least there is one person acknowledging this. Charles has cancer and this thread is about Meghan. Again. People are genuinely obsessed with the hatred of her. Laughing at the fact William bullied his younger brother. No one wants to even consider the fact Kates illness is not physical but mental. She has eating disorder written all over her. Just because she turns up and smiles in a pretty outfit means nothing to me. I grew up watching Diana do exactly the same and I was so desperate to be her. Then the truth came out. Camilla shouldn’t be anywhere near a throne should she? The fact that she is just shows how big and powerful that Palace PR machine actually is. Who ever organised her rise to an accepted Queen from what she actually was deserves every medal going. She’s now front cover news being worshipped like she’s bloody Mother Theresa. There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking the Royals. You can like one, dislike another and you can be a staunch monarchist or despise them. But what you can not know, what you will never know, is what QE thought of Meghan, her dress, her acting skills etc. You can not know that QE or PP were disgusted with Harry’s behaviour. You don’t know what their private thoughts and conversations were. If you believe all this but then call people deluded for watching or believing the dialogue in The Crown then I have some news for you, you’re a bloody hypocrite! If you think Spare was wrong and disrespectful then why are you moping over Charlie being ill when he wrote a scathing book about his own Mother!

I don’t think Charles will reign long. I never did think it. I think his Mother kept him off that throne for as long as she possibly could and only she knows why she did that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49

Ja’mieKing

William at least was blessed to have grandparents until he was nearly 40. I lost all of mine by the time I was 8.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48

F1Grid

VIP Member
also medical, admittedly not oncology. I’m aware there’s a whole lot of things that do go into those decisions but age is absolutely one of them. We don’t know a thing about his health right now outside of he has cancer in an unspecified area. We don’t know his staging, we don’t know his general health, his fitness levels, his immune system, none of it.

When I was on my oncology placement there was a case of a 76 year old woman with breast cancer and the oncologist absolutely didn’t do chemo on her, mainly because of her age and the staging. She got radiation and made a full recovery. Literature also points to patients over 65 having a higher risk of having harsher reactions. Is the decision for treatement options made on a case by case basis? Absolutely but age is factored.

other treatment options aren’t lesser. He has the best drs in the country working on him, they’ll do what’s best.
I'm a doctor.

Age really isn't a factor on it's own. It's performance status (because chemo usually takes a person down 1 level on that, so if we're giving it to someone bedbound they're likely to hit PS5 - dead!), whether chemotherapy is actually needed based on the tumours characteristics, and whether it'd do any good. Often we treat ER+/PR+ breast cancers with hormonal therapy, resection and radiotherapy only - this really is standard practice and the lack of chemotherapy isn't due to age. Triple negatives always, always get chemotherapy if we're actually planning to treat it. It depends on the tumour itself, not the patient's age.

Of course older, frailer patients are more likely to get side effects from chemo. But that doesn't mean we don't offer it at all. It means it's stopped if the effect is bad enough. We also don't only give chemo for curative intent, plenty of it is palliative (and gentler).

Oncologists will usually give anybody who'd benefit in even the slightest way a good go of chemo to be honest, even if it's seemingly futile. They've got a reputation amongst other doctors for this. How many oncologists do you need to be pallbearers at a funeral? Five. Four to carry the casket, one to hang the chemo...

I wouldn't want anybody to be put off from going getting something checked because they think they're too old to be treated. I had a case of this a few years ago, where a lady in her 80s didn't think she should or could get a breast lump checked because 'she's too old to get anything' (we operate on ladies even into their 90s, btw). So by the time anybody found out, she had a fungating breast mass and brain mets. Absolutely grim.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

mrsX

I hate how they always say

"Harry is homeless in the uk and had to stay in a hotel"

Hes no mates with a spare room? A family member?

Also. It's just insulting. He's not homeless. He's staying in a hotel the average jo could only dream of

Reactions: 47

stardust21

VIP Member
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would imagine that being of of the Royal Family, is stressful in its self. Yes it is a life of immense wealth and privilege, but it is also a life of restriction, routine and conformity. In some ways, I don't blame Harry for wanting to opt out.
The way he has conducted himself since he opted out, is another story.
I honestly couldn’t think of a worse job than being Royal. I mean look at Kate’s illness, she can’t even have some peace after having surgery. They’ve said it’s abdominal surgery, the time line fits abdominal surgery. Not wanting to be seen fits abdominal surgery because she probably looks less perfect then normal, yet:

On Twitter there are loads of people speculating she’s actually been subjected to domestic abuse, others saying she’s had a mental breakdown. Speculation she’s tried to kill herself. Some people are speculating she’s died or in a coma ffs…

I can 100% understand why Meghan Markle wouldn’t want to be part of this and totally sympathise with not realising how intense it would be. What I’ve always found crazy about their (Harry and Hers) situation though is that they could have just gone and lived a privileged life out of the public eye. But they continue to court the attention with the books and interviews etc. Just enjoy your privilege in private, sounds like the ideal way to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 46

stardust21

VIP Member
I really wish him all the best. Cancer is horrific and he must be about to undergo chemotherapy for them to have actually announced he has it.

Feel very sorry for William too - wife clearly very ill. Dad just diagnosed with cancer.
---
I’m sadder to hear this news than I ever thought I would to be honest!
Same. I think it’s because on a human level we all know just how horrific cancer is.

Health is the great equaliser.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Lammington

VIP Member
I think death has seen Diana portrayed as a much better mother than she was, and her deification combined with Harry's inability to see any perspective but his own have led to it being seen as the loss of their (Harry's, let's face it) only source of affection.

Diana parentified William and was hardly the picture of an emotionally healthy maternal figure.

Charles whatever his faults has appeared to have attempted to be a much more present parent than his parents were to him, and I think it's essentially blaming the survivor simply because they're there to lay everything at his feet while claiming Diana to be the loving, present parent.

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Honeystar

VIP Member
Fucking hell what a start to the year for them. Like them or not they are human beings and within the wider family they’ve now had two cancer diagnoses, a minor op and a major op within the space of a month. When it rains it pours, even for the royals

Reactions: 44

Moaning Mrtyle

The Harry and Meghan hate is something I have never understood, some really nasty people out there.

The Royal Family are not perfect, I don't blame them for leaving the circus.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

laughing

VIP Member
We don't want Harry back, he made his choice and decided to leave the RF.

To be a help to his family yes, but not public facing.

Reactions: 43

Bluenose70💙

VIP Member
I'm sure royals do get OTT treatment but we don't know that this was the case for Kate. If it was bowel related then 10-14 days is quite normal. I know someone who was in an NHS hospital for a month when she got a stoma bag!
I was in hospital for a year, everything went wrong, I got transferred to the Nutritional Ward at Hope Hospital I have Crohns disease, my mum died of cancer in 1997 aged 48, I was in my twenties, my dad died when I was 2 he was only 31, then my mums fiance died from prostate cancer, every woman in our family has had cancer, I wouldn't be shocked if I got diagnosed I think I'd take it well, I do believe we will meet again, when Diana died because it was the same year as my mum I written to King Charles, I got a lovely letter back from his private secretary, I still have it, I wish King Charles all the best and hopefully a full recovery.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
And the stress he caused for Kate! Years of robust royal health and then a few years of Harry kicking up and so much illness in the Royal Family. The stress they’ve all been under is unimaginable.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I would imagine that being of of the Royal Family, is stressful in its self. Yes it is a life of immense wealth and privilege, but it is also a life of restriction, routine and conformity. In some ways, I don't blame Harry for wanting to opt out.
The way he has conducted himself since he opted out, is another story.

Reactions: 42