The Royal Family #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I do agree. Kate’s approach to jewellery is definitely not my cup of tea. Or rather - I think her choices might be great for her in private but not what I expect of her in a royal function. In her defence though- the majority of the pieces in the vault of the BRF is not easy to wear or don’t suit her style (tiara and her choice of hairstyle for example). The BRF also has way less tiara appearances than other royal households- where you would also see them for weddings, round birthday celebrations and so on. Brooches are the one way for the BRF to add bling and many are indeed looking as if they are for an elderly lady. Same with the big pearl chokers.
I hope Kate adapts a style that is more suitable for the tiaras and necklaces that are and will be at her disposal. And I hope she will get over herself and gives us some serious bling. Those all diamond necklaces are to die for. But you need to be confident to pull it off. Ever since the Cambridge Lover’s Knot appeared on her head, the looks have become quite bad in my opinion. Her look from her first state banquet in 2015 is still the best. She never dressed better for this occasion. Which is kind of sad.
And while we are on the red- if she wants to continue to dabble in vintage silhouettes, why not bring back the glorious red Preen dress from Canada 2016.

Reactions: 2
To be fair, there is the whole of the Royal Vault to run amok and play in. You can’t just not make eye contact with it and pretend it doesn’t exist. we know it’s there. if I were Queen Mary I‘d consider a little light haunting.
Excellent plan, though if I was QM's ghost there'd be nothing light about it. I'd be roaming around Catherine's bedroom all bloody night shoogling my diamond necklaces etc at her till she gave up and adorned herself like a Christmas tree. Such a waste, I would be in the vault, rolling around in the stuff, making noises like a contented Corgi.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I imagine it’s a bit at odds with how they’re presenting themselves.
Also, don't know about QM but the Spencers had a family tiara, so Diana was used to such a concept. The Middletons obviously did not, not a criticism but I would think it would influence her reaction to such finery.

Also, how much of the vault is actually at her disposal? I presume it's up to Charles, and perhaps to some degree Camilla, who gets what etc. I think she has some pieces "on loan" from the late Queen. At the end of the day if she doesn't have the keys she can't wear the jewels.

Something I would be interested in with regards to jewellery is how Diana's was divided up between the boys. It seems like William, and therefore Kate, got a lot of the "bigger" pieces of Diana's, I think we've only seen Meghan publicly in 4? The Cartier watch, the aquamarine ring, the butterfly earrings and a bangle?

Reactions: 1
Also, how much of the vault is actually at her disposal? I presume it's up to Charles, and perhaps to some degree Camilla, who gets what etc. I think she has some pieces "on loan" from the late Queen. At the end of the day if she doesn't have the keys she can't wear the jewels.

Something I would be interested in with regards to jewellery is how Diana's was divided up between the boys. It seems like William, and therefore Kate, got a lot of the "bigger" pieces of Diana's, I think we've only seen Meghan publicly in 4? The Cartier watch, the aquamarine ring, the butterfly earrings and a bangle?
Wasn’t this part of the Burrell story? Where he reportedly held onto some

Wasn’t this part of the Burrell story? Where he reportedly held onto some
Yes potentially, certainly wouldn't surprise me. Most of the pieces Meghan has worn are much more simple and understated than the ones Kate has, and arguably more Meghan's style, which is interesting as Harry would have presumably picked them out with no idea about what his future wife would like. Which makes me wonder if Harry actually has a lot more sitting in a vault somewhere and Meghan has simply picked out a few that she liked. I imagine we might see some more of her pieces in a few years on Charlotte and Lili too.

Reactions: 2
Yes potentially, certainly wouldn't surprise me. Most of the pieces Meghan has worn are much more simple and understated than the ones Kate has, and arguably more Meghan's style, which is interesting as Harry would have presumably picked them out with no idea about what his future wife would like. Which makes me wonder if Harry actually has a lot more sitting in a vault somewhere and Meghan has simply picked out a few that she liked. I imagine we might see some more of her pieces in a few years on Charlotte and Lili too.
I think it's down to Megan enjoys wearing jewellery more than Kate - I think its down the the style thing again too. Kate has no idea what to wear or her own sense of style so doesnt really have a clue about what jewellery she likes and what matches outfits etc.

I know it that was me I'd be wandering around like Liz Taylor day in and day out....

Reactions: 9
I don’t think showcasing the bling from the vault at big events is flaunting wealth - the pieces are there if they get worn or not. If that was really their concern we wouldn’t see Kate throwing out big bucks for pieces that basically get mistaken for stuff she already has or get some more reasonable priced stuff again. There will always be occasions she is expected to wear something new, expensive and maybe even only to wear it once. That’s part of the deal. But her ordinary daily engagements could be years of repeats at this stage. We know she still fits into them because we see ten year old clothes from time to time. She also could get things altered. Those clothes get great care from professionals (I doubt she just throws them into the clothing hamper only to have Wiliam accidentally shrinking them) and they should be of a quality to last at least one to two decades of regular outings. As long as Kate is fine spending massive amounts of money on clothes there is absolutely no need to be shy in terms of wearing jewelled heirlooms.
She does not have full access and some things won’t suit her. But Camilla won’t touch certain pieces that don’t suit her as well and not all are reserved for a Queen. I am sure if Kate asks nicely, Charles would loan out stuff to her. Heck, Wiliam could commission a tiara specifically to go with the Princess of Wales title. Something easy to wear, sparkly and impressive enough so Kate can retire the lover’s knot and the next Princesses of Wales have something at their disposal as well. A commission like that is pocket money for him
now. And honestly, that’s at least a flaunting of wealth I can get some joy from.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I don’t think showcasing the bling from the vault at big events is flaunting wealth - the pieces are there if they get worn or not. If that was really their concern we wouldn’t see Kate throwing out big bucks for pieces that basically get mistaken for stuff she already has or get some more reasonable priced stuff again. There will always be occasions she is expected to wear something new, expensive and maybe even only to wear it once. That’s part of the deal. But her ordinary daily engagements could be years of repeats at this stage. We know she still fits into them because we see ten year old clothes from time to time. She also could get things altered. Those clothes get great care from professionals (I doubt she just throws them into the clothing hamper only to have Wiliam accidentally shrinking them) and they should be of a quality to last at least one to two decades of regular outings. As long as Kate is fine spending massive amounts of money on clothes there is absolutely no need to be shy in terms of wearing jewelled heirlooms.
She does not have full access and some things won’t suit her. But Camilla won’t touch certain pieces that don’t suit her as well and not all are reserved for a Queen. I am sure if Kate asks nicely, Charles would loan out stuff to her. Heck, Wiliam could commission a tiara specifically to go with the Princess of Wales title. Something easy to wear, sparkly and impressive enough so Kate can retire the lover’s knot and the next Princesses of Wales have something at their disposal as well. A commission like that is pocket money for him
now. And honestly, that’s at least a flaunting of wealth I can get some joy from.
As long as it doesn’t match the Coronet of Charles because, man, is that thing hideous.

The thing about the royal vault is that the stuff is there, bought and paid for (steady there, Queen Mary). How is buying something new in order to not wear something you already have more cost effective? Have some of the older, clunkier pieces reset (although touch the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara and I’ll be holding Mary’s coat) to make them lighter and more wearable by all means.

Kate is lucky in that she has hair that is amenable to being dressed to take tiaras and headpieces (Sophie struggles with that) and having access to and wearing that stuff is literally the job. You aren’t people like us, you know you’re not people like us, we know you’re not people like us and when visiting heads of State and dignitaries pitch up, they don’t want to meet people like us. They want to meet Royals. Royal the bling out of them.

Reactions: 10
I do agree. It exists already so is actually more cost affective to wear what you’ve got.
However, certain papers won’t report it like that will they.

Reactions: 3
I do agree. It exists already so is actually more cost affective to wear what you’ve got.
However, certain papers won’t report it like that will they.
I agree they should have worn the Royal Bling to the coronation, its there already it might as well get used.

Reactions: 8
I agree they should have worn the Royal Bling to the coronation, its there already it might as well get used.
Oh yes. I wanted a coronation so sparkly I had to turn the tv down.
However, they were getting grief about the cost of everything, even the coaches etc that are already owned. So I think diplomatically it was probably best

Reactions: 8
Oh yes. I wanted a coronation so sparkly I had to turn the tv down.
However, they were getting grief about the cost of everything, even the coaches etc that are already owned. So I think diplomatically it was probably best
Yeah but like you say they have had all this sparkly expensive jewellery for years they may as well use them no extra money would have been spent.

What do people make of the CDN blinds suggesting William and Kate are also headed for divorce/separation?
Bullshit. Don’t believe it for a second. They’ve always done separate stuff as well as stuff together, most married couples don’t work together. So why would they be any different?
In a slimmed down monarchy it’s more efficient to be separate as well.
---
Yeah but like you say they have had all this sparkly expensive jewellery for years they may as well use them no extra money would have been spent.
The papers didn’t want to report it like that with the carriages. So I doubt they would have used the common sense on the jewels either

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
What do people make of the CDN blinds suggesting William and Kate are also headed for divorce/separation?
I don't buy it. They've been out together loads recently and they haven't done any more separate engagements than they usually do - that part seems to be more relevant for Meghan and Harry.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.