The Royal Family #37

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
coronation tailors: Fit For A King bbc2 at 9pm.

Was a insightful programme into the making of the coronation uniforms for the servicemen & women, made even better with the handsome Patrick Grant presenting it!

Reactions: 8

Was a insightful programme into the making of the coronation uniforms for the servicemen & women, made even better with the handsome Patrick Grant presenting it!
Oh I love docs like this- can you imagine the amount of work that’s going into all this? So many talented people make the whole thing look seamless, if I worked for TV I’d have commissioned a series on the behind the scenes each episode focusing on a different industry

Oh I love docs like this- can you imagine the amount of work that’s going into all this? So many talented people make the whole thing look seamless, if I worked for TV I’d have commissioned a series on the behind the scenes each episode focusing on a different industry
I love seeing vocational jobs, the skill, the craft, the history.
I think you'll enjoy this!

Reactions: 3

Did it show the Beefeaters/ Yeoman Guard getting their new uniforms? I saw quite a bit on social media and they all seemed so proud.

Reactions: 2
I’m in my early 40s and I am British and LOVE the fact we’ve got the monarchy. They are the best diplomats in the world. Soft power should not be underestimated.

the late queen was wonderful, but for the age in which she reigned. We need a fresh monarchy, and maybe it won’t be a bad thing if the king has some more strident views. It doesn’t mean parliament has to act on anything, but I don’t think it will do any harm having a monarch who has opinions and isn’t just a face wandering in under the chorus of trumpets, someone who wants to DO something. I am sure prince Philip felt constrained by that and I think Charles is perhaps more like his dad than he would like to think.

monarchy hasn’t been ‘a given’ since the 1640s, and yet it has survived in one way or another.

Saturday will be an historic and great day.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Thanks for the headds up - I'll see if I can catch up. I enjoy things like this, so interesting to see what goes into all the pomp.

Thanks for the headds up - I'll see if I can catch up. I enjoy things like this, so interesting to see what goes into all the pomp.
I hope you do get to see it, I just watched it and it was delightful. Very interesting indeed and getting to look at lovely Patrick for an hour was a distinct bonus!

Reactions: 1
I do think that Charles is going to end up as something of an interim monarch. A bit like when companies bring in a new boss to oversee a restructure and change. Charles is the one who is going to have to make some big and lasting decisions covering everything from who gets royal titles, who gets security etc right through to how the monarchy deals with its past, the commonwealth and losing realms.

It's sad in a way, he has waited so long for this and I don't envy some of the decisions he will have to make. I think he'll be remembered much more for being the Prince of Wales and all that he achieved when he was, as opposed to being one of our greatest Kings. William on the other hand I don't believe will have that problem, by the time people get used to him being the Prince of Wales (I for one still picture Charles!) he'll be about to become King anyway probably.

There's some big decisions to make in the coming years and I hope Charles is able to almost take one for the team and actually make them, even if it makes him unpopular in some circles, but ensures everything is tied up and ready for William in a way that Queen Elizabeth didn't do for him.

Charles to me is almost the middle man, guiding the monarchy from the reign of his mother to the reign of his son, ensuring the transition is smooth as we go from two drastically different periods of time and societies. I feel like these are the transition years from the past and Queen Elizabeth to the future and King William
HMTQ is given too much credit I reckon. People confuse longevity with actually being a good monarch. She was irresponsible in not dealing with some difficult issues, leaving all the mess for Charles to deal with while basking in admiration for herself. Not amongst my favourite royals by a long shot. Much prefer Charles actually, and Anne obviously.

Reactions: 14
HMTQ is given too much credit I reckon. People confuse longevity with actually being a good monarch. She was irresponsible in not dealing with some difficult issues, leaving all the mess for Charles to deal with while basking in admiration for herself. Not amongst my favourite royals by a long shot. Much prefer Charles actually, and Anne obviously.
I think the Queen was a bit of a ditherer on the quiet and preferred the wait and see approach (also known as kicking the can down the road) to see if things resolved on their own accord. I also think that what people expected from monarchy under went a huge change towards the later stages of her reign.

Reactions: 7
I’ve read reports that Scottish Gaelic, Welsh and Irish will feature in the Coronation to best represent the languages of the UK. I personally think Cornish should play a part because it’s one of the main regional languages and as most future Kings were the Duchy of Cornwall, I think it would be a good nod to that time period. The flag was also put on the Gloriana barge. Also, I think it would be great if sign language was involved in some aspect in the actual service (if it’s not already).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think the Queen was a bit of a ditherer on the quiet and preferred the wait and see approach (also known as kicking the can down the road) to see if things resolved on their own accord. I also think that what people expected from monarchy under went a huge change towards the later stages of her reign.
She killed them with kindness and let them hang themselves on their own rope 😁
I once witnessed this in court with a judge who wasn't known for being soft. There was me thinking he was on the criminals side he was so accommodating. Soon brought out their arrogance thinking they had him in the bag.
We sat up with a start when the judge sternly put his foot down with a bang. Woah! You don't mess with him! 😄
One of the things I like about monarchy and the monarch's role in particular is as they don't give their opinion publicly, they can be a sympathetic sounding board.
It can be lonely at the top not knowing whose got your back or is going to be a smiling assassin despite being your friend.

She was a good monarch up until 2012/2013 but the last decade was a pure nostalgia show

Yel

I think the queen was masterful with dealing with most things. The hardest thing to do is nothing and not clap back. But you can't instantly solve issues. Many take time, even decades.

While they don't speak publicly about all these little things, i bet there's a plan in the background.

The biggest problem was in the last decade or so where there was no one at the helm and her health was declining. That's where the biggest mistakes were made. Letting Andrew and his daughters take control with inviting news night in and all that stuff wouldn't have happened when she was more in control.

Reactions: 11
I think the queen was masterful with dealing with most things. The hardest thing to do is nothing and not clap back. But you can't instantly solve issues. Many take time, even decades.

While they don't speak publicly about all these little things, i bet there's a plan in the background.

The biggest problem was in the last decade or so where there was no one at the helm and her health was declining. That's where the biggest mistakes were made. Letting Andrew and his daughters take control with inviting news night in and all that stuff wouldn't have happened when she was more in control.
I think there were hints with the Princess Margaret situation … which proves really how hard it is to reconcile situations where family issues are at odds monarchy considerations.

Reactions: 3
I think there were hints with the Princess Margaret situation … which proves really how hard it is to reconcile situations where family issues are at odds monarchy considerations.
I think TQ was fine with affairs of state. It was dealing with family issues that seemed to flummox her.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m glad that it will be impossible for Charles to have a long reign. He is just so unlikeable. His wife even more so. Bring on King William!

• Heart
Regarding the Queen, sometimes she was damned if she did and damned if she didnt.

I was thinking about how she has tried to learn from mistakes.
She has to give permission for her family to marry.
Princess Margaret was denied permission to marry her first choice of husband and Prince Andrew was denied permission to marry Koo Stark.
Then there was a huge knock on effect from those two decisions which probably caused the Queen to feel regret because maybe just maybe they could have been happy marriages.
So along comes Meghan and Harry is given permission to marry ...... look how that is turning out.

Sometimes you get stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think TQ was fine with affairs of state. It was dealing with family issues that seemed to flummox her.
I think Philip took control of a lot of the family dealings, once he started getting much older and moved out to the country and then passed away it just fell apart. I don’t think Charles is great at dealing with the family problems either and why would any of them listen to Camilla?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.