The Royal Family #35

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The fact that her mother's nickname was duchess probably gives an idea of what she was like, she certainly gave her daughter the work ethic because Party Pieces was just a little part time venture she thought of at Kate's 5th birthday when she was looking for decorations and party items.
It is now a multi million pound company.
Work ethic! Kate??? 🤭🤭🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Despite, surely, plenty of retakes, the latest video shows Kate saying, to my ear, 'Eyely years' 😕 Surely someone would have checked that. I agree that it needs to be practical but also that Kate is naive to think 'Inform people and it will make a difference'. Sadly, it doesn't as people are born into the cycle and are doing the nest they can but many simply are not able to give what their children need to reach their potential.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
No but at least when they turn up at an event like that you can call them out for the hypocrisy and not have to stand there and clap like a seal and pretend they're amazing.

I'm all for the royals visiting hospitals and raising awareness for causes but you can't tell me that during a time when people are struggling and visiting food banks that they rock up, pretend they care and duck off back to a mansion that the very people who are visiting these places PAY for doesn't leave a bad taste in peoples mouths....
People can call the royals out for hypocrisy

You can slice it whichever way you want...that foodbank visit did not go down well. And I don't even mean with the regular royal watcher crowd. It was the general consensus on all the social media platforms and newspaper articles I looked at. Which makes sense because this is not a Royalist issue...it's a matter of raising awareness and compassion for desperate people. If the intention is to encourage people to follow their lead, then while a private donation is great and all, it would've done a world of good to show them bringing in a few bags of essential items as people are so easily influenced by them.
There were much better ways to go about this. They could have dressed down in casual clothes, actually help with the packing and sorting and distributing, left behind the entourage of photographers ( just carry 1 or 2) and bring a box of non-perishables with some baked goods from the children for the staff. Such an easy PR win if they cared just a little bit. They don't seem to put much thought into any of these visits...just follow what their staff advises because they don't seem to really, actually care about the issues themselves. Their concern is only about doing what they have to to ensure the Monarchy survives...it is not about the actual people they meet.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The fact that her mother's nickname was duchess probably gives an idea of what she was like, she certainly gave her daughter the work ethic because Party Pieces was just a little part time venture she thought of at Kate's 5th birthday when she was looking for decorations and party items.
It is now a multi million pound company.
Not according to Companies House it isn't. It's all a bit odd.

• Heart
I was in Leeds today and I missed Kate! I was totally oblivious to anything going on. It's a while since I've been in Leeds properly (pre Trinity) so I kept getting lost.
Would have been good to see if she was better looking in the flesh as people say. ☹

You can slice it whichever way you want...that foodbank visit did not go down well. And I don't even mean with the regular royal watcher crowd. It was the general consensus on all the social media platforms and newspaper articles I looked at. Which makes sense because this is not a Royalist issue...it's a matter of raising awareness and compassion for desperate people. If the intention is to encourage people to follow their lead, then while a private donation is great and all, it would've done a world of good to show them bringing in a few bags of essential items as people are so easily influenced by them.
There were much better ways to go about this. They could have dressed down in casual clothes, actually help with the packing and sorting and distributing, left behind the entourage of photographers ( just carry 1 or 2) and bring a box of non-perishables with some baked goods from the children for the staff. Such an easy PR win if they cared just a little bit. They don't seem to put much thought into any of these visits...just follow what their staff advises because they don't seem to really, actually care about the issues themselves. Their concern is only about doing what they have to to ensure the Monarchy survives...it is not about the actual people they meet.
I think they'd be criticised whatever they do.

If they brought a few bags on groceries.. they're rich so why couldn't they bring more?
If they brought Tesco food.. why could't they bring Waitrose?
If they brought Waitrose food.. oh they're lording their wealth over us.

Remember when Charlotte and her parents brought food packages to the vulnerable during lockdown?
People commented that they didn't bring enough
People commented that they were bring snack bags to the peasants
Or that 'what were people going to do with homemade plain pasta'
The five year old was also blasted for delivering food during the lockdown and was labeled 'irresponsible' by the express
Or that the donations should have been done in secret.

So should the donations be in secret or not?

Reactions: 25
I was in Leeds today and I missed Kate! I was totally oblivious to anything going on. It's a while since I've been in Leeds properly (pre Trinity) so I kept getting lost.
Would have been good to see if she was better looking in the flesh as people say. ☹
That’s a shame. What did you throw at her?

• Haha
Ok, seems I have to be the one to hate on the red pant suit. The asymmetrical blazer looks stupid and this particular red is too bright on the eyes. She is not the first one falling into that trap. I am all for a bold power suit but it needs classic lines and a good fit to work.
I am also generally supportive of an EarlyYear focus, but I am no fan (as you might have gathered by previous posts) of her approach. She can raise as much awareness as she wants- politics won’t move so the only other two key recipients are private initiatives and parents. And parents are still the biggest impact at that age and that’s where it gets ugly quickly. She tried that before and got lots of hate for patronising parents. Now, I will say - I absolutely understand the multifaceted circumstances and challenges that parents face today. For ordinary people the best case is two working parents, paying lots of money for childcare, being stressed by balancing work demands and children’s needs. So Kate swooping in talking about playing outside with them comes a bit aloof. But in the end, no program or support will make a difference if patents don’t show up to take the responsibility. Of course it’s the parents job to toilet train and the nursery should support them when they start (by not putting them back into diapers after the third accident because it’s more work). The pandemic shutdown showed the massive benefits nurseries and schools have and hopefully gave parents a glimpse what it means to spend that many hours with children and not just teaching intellectual subjects but also how to follow rules, interact in a group, uphold basic social communication skills…. I am forever grateful my children very probably won’t start school under such circumstances. Sadly, all those people get is a wee clap (like the health care sector) and not better wages. I don’t know how Kate wants to balance this without getting burned. If she dives deep she will step on quite some toes, if she stays on the “awareness” level people will rightfully criticise her effort. It’s like healthy weight- everyone knows how to loose unnecessary weight, what should be part of a healthy diet and about the benefits of physical activity. But most won’t show up for it and get quite annoyed when lectured. And while I firmly believe everyone should be allowed to be as unhealthy as they choose, it gets extra delicate if you are making those decisions for others, your children.
I would seriously impressed if Kate chooses to step on toes, alienate some people and work through it for 25+ years. Maybe then we would see an impact. If taking care of children professionally gets better resources (wages, carer to children ratio, respect in society) and parents find their footing a bit more (through lots of support for whatever their circumstances are) that would be great. I just don’t think she has it in her. On the other hand, I suspect her to be a rather steely personality (to not just put up with the BRF but really get in is quite the thing). At least I would suspect not just a week but MONTHS of public events to launch this.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think they'd be criticised whatever they do.

If they brought a few bags on groceries.. they're rich so why couldn't they bring more?
If they brought Tesco food.. why could't they bring Waitrose?
If they brought Waitrose food.. oh they're lording their wealth over us.

Remember when Charlotte and her parents brought food packages to the vulnerable during lockdown?
People commented that they didn't bring enough
People commented that they were bring snack bags to the peasants
Or that 'what were people going to do with homemade plain pasta'
The five year old was also blasted for delivering food during the lockdown and was labeled 'irresponsible' by the express
Or that the donations should have been done in secret.

So should the donations be in secret or not?
I agrre they couldn’t do right for doing wrong but seeing as not taking anything was a bit of a PR failure maybe think again for the next time. Our Church food bank apparently has more pasta than you can shake a stick at … it’s the go-to donation. They love getting things like sanitary products, toilet rolls, nappies, soap even pet food … these days a food bank is about so much more.

Reactions: 3
Apparently when Kate visited Leeds uni today she met with some Students studying childhood development and told them she really want to go back and study again. Maybe she will do a degree in something relevant to the early years. She’s not going to struggle to get into any.

Reactions: 2
Ok, seems I have to be the one to hate on the red pant suit. The asymmetrical blazer looks stupid and this particular red is too bright on the eyes. She is not the first one falling into that trap. I am all for a bold power suit but it needs classic lines and a good fit to work.
I am also generally supportive of an EarlyYear focus, but I am no fan (as you might have gathered by previous posts) of her approach. She can raise as much awareness as she wants- politics won’t move so the only other two key recipients are private initiatives and parents. And parents are still the biggest impact at that age and that’s where it gets ugly quickly. She tried that before and got lots of hate for patronising parents. Now, I will say - I absolutely understand the multifaceted circumstances and challenges that parents face today. For ordinary people the best case is two working parents, paying lots of money for childcare, being stressed by balancing work demands and children’s needs. So Kate swooping in talking about playing outside with them comes a bit aloof. But in the end, no program or support will make a difference if patents don’t show up to take the responsibility. Of course it’s the parents job to toilet train and the nursery should support them when they start (by not putting them back into diapers after the third accident because it’s more work). The pandemic shutdown showed the massive benefits nurseries and schools have and hopefully gave parents a glimpse what it means to spend that many hours with children and not just teaching intellectual subjects but also how to follow rules, interact in a group, uphold basic social communication skills…. I am forever grateful my children very probably won’t start school under such circumstances. Sadly, all those people get is a wee clap (like the health care sector) and not better wages. I don’t know how Kate wants to balance this without getting burned. If she dives deep she will step on quite some toes, if she stays on the “awareness” level people will rightfully criticise her effort. It’s like healthy weight- everyone knows how to loose unnecessary weight, what should be part of a healthy diet and about the benefits of physical activity. But most won’t show up for it and get quite annoyed when lectured. And while I firmly believe everyone should be allowed to be as unhealthy as they choose, it gets extra delicate if you are making those decisions for others, your children.
I would seriously impressed if Kate chooses to step on toes, alienate some people and work through it for 25+ years. Maybe then we would see an impact. If taking care of children professionally gets better resources (wages, carer to children ratio, respect in society) and parents find their footing a bit more (through lots of support for whatever their circumstances are) that would be great. I just don’t think she has it in her. On the other hand, I suspect her to be a rather steely personality (to not just put up with the BRF but really get in is quite the thing). At least I would suspect not just a week but MONTHS of public events to launch this.
This says everything I think better than I could!

Reactions: 1
No but at least when they turn up at an event like that you can call them out for the hypocrisy and not have to stand there and clap like a seal and pretend they're amazing.

I'm all for the royals visiting hospitals and raising awareness for causes but you can't tell me that during a time when people are struggling and visiting food banks that they rock up, pretend they care and duck off back to a mansion that the very people who are visiting these places PAY for doesn't leave a bad taste in peoples mouths....
Taxpayers don't pay for their non privately owned residences, the profits from the Crown Estate and Duchies do.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Really well said! However she is not going to step on toes, as she has said herself the aim is....'to raise awareness'. Unfortunately those of us who work with disadvantaged children and families know that awareness, even if sung for the rooftops and shared with all, will make little if any difference. I believe she is genuine in her interest, and hopeful, but ultimately naive in terms of what can be achieved with awareness alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So Kate swooping in talking about playing outside with them comes a bit aloof.
There is a Russian model (called Natalia Vodianova) who was inspired by the Beslan school siege in 2004 to create play parks in Russia. She thought that if the survivors could distract themselves with play for 5 minutes, it could help their healing. Plus she grew up in poverty herself so she knew personally about the lack of areas for children to just be children. They’ve opened hundreds of parks all over Russia and other areas of the world.
It’s a very simple idea and I’m not saying Kate should copy it but I think this would be so more beneficial to young children and parents. Maybe help fund the building if soft play areas? Or campaign for green areas that are free from hazards and pollution? I don’t know exactly but I think this would be so helpful and practical.
---

Really well said! However she is not going to step on toes, as she has said herself the aim is....'to raise awareness'. Unfortunately those of us who work with disadvantaged children and families know that awareness, even if sung for the rooftops and shared with all, will make little if any difference. I believe she is genuine in her interest, and hopeful, but ultimately naive in terms of what can be achieved with awareness alone.
I think that just raising awareness is going to be fruitless - you’d have to be extremely mentally ill not to realise that having a rubbish start at life can negatively affect children’s emotional and physical development. It needs to be something tangible like the D of E expeditions, of the Princes’s Trust foundation, even something like Invictus.
---

I think that's counter-productive why not say they made a personal donation, especially to a food bank where it's a win-win for them. Thinking of the food bank this has been doing rounds on twitter....

View attachment 1924417
The total outfit she wore to a food bank cost nearly £1,000. I don’t know how anyone can defend that. Looking on ASOS there are several coats similar to that which are £100 or under she could have used. I know these items weren’t new, but the optics are so bad and they just look out of touch. Her stylist needs to really do her research for these events. She could have got Kate in an outfit that cost around £250. You don’t need to be wearing a £480 coat or £425 pair of shoes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I think that just raising awareness is going to be fruitless - you’d have to be extremely mentally ill not to realise that having a rubbish start at life can negatively affect children’s emotional and physical development. It needs to be something tangible like the D of E expeditions, of the Princes’s Trust foundation, even something like Invictus.
With that said, a lot of people fall back on "well I had a bad childhood and I turned it around!" or "well look at X over there, they had it rough and they made good for themselves!" without any consideration of the different circumstances or advantages. There's always a tendency to look to blame someone struggling before we look to understand them.

If advocacy and understanding is the first part of a larger plan, I don't think it's wasted. If there is the intention to use resources for an area that is easy to write off as something people should simply pull themselves up by the bootstraps out of, advocacy will be needed to pave the way for resources without anger about how those resources would be better used in other ways that the viewer considers more important.

If there's more to come, I can't see an issue with this being stage one.

Reactions: 2

Summing up the massive issue with her campaign. If she can’t lobby for money what is the point??

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.