Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
Or just wishful thinking on the part of people who mistakenly think everyone else is obsessed with race as they are.

That 100% supports the fact that context is everything. Nobody is saying it’s an offensive word in normal conversation but most words can be used in a way to hint at something different, I’m not sure how this is a difficult concept to understand. I’m not obsessed with race, couldn’t care less what race anybody is, not particularly a fan of Meghan either, however the insidious way some of the media have a dig at people then claim innocence is worth calling out.

Reactions: 12

LadyQuaithe

This is deranged sorry,the prime example of people reaching... queen had cancer, both her and Phillip were nonagenarians.

• Angry
  • Sick

BonBon27

VIP Member
In fun news today ... Charles and Camilla went to Wrexham Football Club and met Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney today. Nice treat for Camilla.

Meeting Ryan Reynolds would almost make it worth being a member of the royal family 🤣 I’d be very annoyed if I was Kate and I’d missed out on that one 🤣

• Haha

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
On the DM there are 11 articles one after the other before you get to any other stories … and these are just repeated in varying orders across 3 of the sections already … and that before the likes of Judi James and Ingrid Seward tell us what we should be thinking. It’s obviously a slow news day.
I just don’t get the obsession with the Sussexes - I don’t get the levels of hate or love they appear to engender. But then I don’t get the love for the royal family either. I think ALL of them are a waste of space.
I don’t think it is a slow news day ( cost of living crisis, public sector workers going on strike, members of the HoL stealing from the public purse etc ) BUT bearing in mind the DM is nothing more than the government’s mouthpiece, the dull as ditchwater sounding documentary is a very easy way to bury bad news.

Bride of Lupine

Chatty Member
Or just threaten him with a DNA test…
I mean, I don’t buy the whole Harry Hewitt thing, but if I was Charles I’d pretend to have my doubts, just to mess a bit more with his head. Wouldn’t hurt (well, yes, it would and that’s the point) to drop a little suggestion 😈

• Haha
  • Angry

Boring Monday

VIP Member
It’s sad that it’s come to it that you feel you can’t ask those questions. I like getting to know people and enjoy hearing about their religion and culture so would regularly ask people I worked with about where their family were from, their religious celebrations, their language and those kind of questions, I could see it made them happy to talk about it and had one even make the point that I was the first white person to show any interest. They even started teaching me common Arabic words and would have a word of the day for me . In one team I worked in we had 4 south Asian Muslims and about 10 white people and because people hadn’t made the effort to get to know them outside of the football team they support or their university, even basic things like picking a halal restaurant to go for a team meal were overlooked. I think most people are happy to talk about themselves and culture if you ask properly and seem genuinely interested.
Which is lovely … but I’d assume if someone made it clear they didn’t want to talk about it you wouldn’t keep pressing them to?

Jen667

VIP Member
Even the phrase 'our truth' bugs me. Truth is an absolute. There's THE truth and that's it.

• Heart

Eirawen

VIP Member
Traditional white churches, the sermons are very quiet and sedate. Look at the Queen’s funeral or any episode to Songs of Praise to see what usually happens. Whereas black churches (from what I’ve been told by friends) tend to be more vigorous and animated which I think is wonderful, I rather enjoyed his sermon even though I’m not a believer.
I think it was a clash of cultures that was surprising. When he started talking it did surprise me because I wasn’t expecting it.
I know about white churches I don't need a lecture, but if I see a black person officiating in a different way I don't think of it as strange it's just different. I certainly don't start sniggering like Beatrice and Eugenie who obviously find different cultures funny they must have been trained by Hussey.

• Angry

50sGirl

VIP Member
Same. I don’t even like Meghan much but that was literally the first time I’ve found her genuinely funny lol and I agree it was self-deprecating. She was basically saying that her idea of a curtsy was some dumb idea of a big ‘your Majesty’ flourish that you’d see in a film or something fake like Medieval Times. She is saying that her first attempt at a curtsy was this stupid elaborate curtsy just trying to mimic some image she had.

It was an actual funny moment for once, idk why Harry’s face was like that— maybe he misunderstood what she was saying or he just wasn’t listening lol and was thinking of something else, but he definitely ruined the moment.
BIB
Oh perhaps Harry knew she was mocking his grandmother so he didn’t misunderstand at all. He knows her better than us - his face said it all.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I’ve not seen the trailers and I didn’t watch the Oprah interview. I’m not a fan of how they’ve gone about things. We’ve all been wronged sometime or another in our opinion, even if the other party thinks differently. Not on such a world stage but in our own worlds, which is still personally big.

Taking the higher ground would have been, for me , to show how successful they are without being Royal. Handed all their titles back, become Mr and Mrs Sussex and the documentary highlighting their successes outside the RF. How things have worked out and how happy they are.

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Plus, they're making Meghan and Harry look in the right. After denying that there was racism and that Meghan had been mistreated due to her race, things like this show that she very likely was.
Lady Susan was also the person charged with putting Meghan at ease. I can imagine them rubbing each other up the wrong way and Meghan bristling at something off colour that she said. She was completely the wrong person to ' settle in' a young, mixed race American woman into the family For a start, its none of her business who Harry wanted to marry, yet she openly passed judgment on the marriage.

My adult daughter was born and raised in Asia. Often she’d get asked where are you from and she’d say ‘here, I was born here’, ‘but you’re not really from here, where’s your family from’. This was common. Especially from elderly Chinese community. We’d explain, smile, move on.
Im wondering what’s different here.
Your daughter is presumably White and lives in a place where not many White people have been born and bred. Also, the Black and Asian communities in the not too distant past were seen as ' other' and not really British, despite being born British and having British nationality, whereas in Asia the British were seen and treated as superior. And thirdly, the British aristocracy did virtually all of the oppressing of people from the former colonies, and LSH is a prominent member of the aristocracy. What if someone had persisted in asking your daughter, 7 times where she was from, and refused to believe she was from the places he said she was from. I am sure she would be incredibly irritated, especially if she was an invited guest, and was being harangued about it. It was a highly irritating question for me, and is for my children. I have taught them to let it go and say ' I am British but my heritage is...' It is still an annoying, personal and rude question, and if a person doesn't want to answer, then that should be the end of it.

Last edited:

hannah123

VIP Member
Is there love story really some great love story that needs to be told? Idk I don’t think there’s such a thing as a great love story in the first place

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
Ah I know we’re back to frocks and rocks again but I’m loving Kate and Camilla tonight. Kate looks great in that deep red and I’m loving the blue tiara (again) on the QC.

• Heart

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
I'm watching episode 2 now. The press intrusion part is very interesting. I think they do come across quire well, and it's quite sweet. I think their greatest 'crime' is that they have exposed what the press did when they were dating. Also, the meeting The Queen bit, if she was told minutes before that she was meeting The Queen, that is a lot to take in in a short space of time.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Just seen the photos of Kate in the lotus flower tiara from a few days ago and I agree with whoever said it suited her better than the other one. Also it looked quite modern with straight hair. Really liked her dress too!

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
The best way to deal with narcissists is to greywall them, I hope the RF don't react in any way to H&M apart from an occasional "that's nice dear"
This documentary is going to end in tears. There's already questions about how H&M photographers got into the palace and that's just from there trailer. They'll be questions about when were pieces filmed? Was it pre or post their leaving TRF? How long in the making has this been? etc etc.

Once the documentary and book are done what else have they got to sell? Surely this stuff has a shelf life?

WatermelonSugar22

VIP Member
Re the bit in bold: It’s interesting, because I think this is actually a nationality thing.

I’m a “floating voter” along with essentially everyone I work with, and we all agree: this documentary is really out of step with the current situation of most people…

It feels very jarring to be constantly hearing about two massively over-privileged people complaining about how hard done by they are when plenty of people can’t afford to heat their homes.

I think the reaction is different in America though.
New Zealand here, and they don’t really get talked about. Readers of trashy women’s mags don’t tend to like Meghan because of the weird made up narratives that women’s magazines spout, but that’s a small audience and mostly older women who liked the Queen. Younger women tend to like Meghan more, but she doesn’t come up in conversation. I feel it’s the haters’ obsession that drives most of their press attention. I would love to see what happened if the haters just stopped talking and clicking, the fanatics would be so confused! But it’ll never happen, the obsession is too strong and too many derive an income from it.

Opinion here is mostly dismissive of the monarchy as a whole. They’re just seen as out of touch relics with no idea about real life. People think the kids are cute, they like Will and Kate fine but tend to think they don’t really do anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go republic in the near future.

People were generally supportive of M&H at first but I can easily see that goodwill fade quickly if they push their luck or overexpose themselves.