The Royal Family #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ugh, what a legacy from the previous title holder for Louis! ha.

I remember when Harry was getting married people were discussing his possible Dukedom and there aren't that many spare (ie. that are currently reverted to the throne).
____

I think perhaps Queen was fine with Kate and William's workload - otherwise she'd have made them do more right? I get the impression she wanted them to have the 'quiet' time in raising kids before getting down to business/taking on more responsibility. Obviously just me Witchelling here. Now they're P&P of Wales though...I definitely want to see more of them.

Of things I'd like to see Kate get involved with - she's already involved with scouts, I'd love to see her do more with that and kids outdoor education generally. Also more stuff like Action on Addiction.
I’d have like to see her do something with getting young girls into sporting activities and keeping them there when they hit their teens … or some sort of DoE feeder scheme.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’d have like to see her do something with getting young girls into sporting activities and keeping them there when they hit their teens … or some sort of DoE feeder scheme.
Yes I love the idea of something focused on keeping girls around 10/11 engaged in sports. It was certainly when I lost interest 😅 .
A DoE feeder scheme could be done with Sophie maybe? She's involved with the DoE already.

Reactions: 6
Just had a search and weirdly the New Yorker has a good article from back then: https://www.newyorker.com/news/dail...ght-titles-for-meghan-markle-and-prince-harry

Looks like some are bad luck, or Irish and thus not appropriate, or there's still a chance there might be a claim for them.

as well :D

Reactions: 2

Meant to share yesterday and forgot. I came across this recently and thought this thread might have a few others who would enjoy. A great reference for all the tiaras.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Ugh, what a legacy from the previous title holder for Louis! ha.
Both George V and George VI were Dukes of York, the late Queen's beloved father and grandfather.

Andrew will eventually just be a footnote in history, probably only surfacing in articles about Embarrassing Royal Relatives or Scandalous Royals.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Both George V and George VI were Dukes of York, the late Queen's beloved father and grandfather.

Andrew will eventually just be a footnote in history, probably only surfacing in articles about Embarrassing Royal Relatives or Scandalous Royals.
I hope so!

Talking about Royals residences and the state,
the state supports not just Buckingham Palace, but also St James's Palace, Clarence House, Marlborough House Mews, Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle, Frogmore House and Hampton Court Mews, to name but a few. In total, the taxpayer pays for over a hundred buildings, six thousand rooms and twenty acres of roofs.
The Queen owned (I guess it goes to Charles or whatever is in her will) plenty of private property too, such as Balmoral and Sandringham, both bought with public funds, which also qualify for taxpayer support when they are used for official business.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
The King's new cypher to replace the EIIR. It will have the Scottish Crown for use in Scotland.

skynews-kng-charles-cypher_5911343.jpg

Reactions: 14
I can’t imagine it will get on many post boxes. There aren’t many being put up these days and not as many people send letters anyway.

I think the cypher looks nice though. The crown is beautiful. It’s sad to see Elizabeth being ‘replaced’ more and more though in terms of official ceremonies etc. It must feel like a rehearsal for each heir.

Reactions: 9
I can’t imagine it will get on many post boxes. There aren’t many being put up these days and not as many people send letters anyway.

I think the cypher looks nice though. The crown is beautiful. It’s sad to see Elizabeth being ‘replaced’ more and more though in terms of official ceremonies etc. It must feel like a rehearsal for each heir.
They stopped putting EIIR on postboxes etc in Scotland after they got blown up in 1952/3. The Post Office etc here just use the Scottish Crown but there's no controversy about Charles III.

I read something today that said that there's been plans for Charles' coronation for years now. I suppose they must have a lot of this stuff ready and just waiting to be dusted off. I wonder if they've started on plans for William yet?

Reactions: 2
It might sound daft, but it was only really at the funeral that I realised just how many countries have a monarchy.

Isn't it a bit odd that so many countries (*cough cough* I'm looking at you Americans) feel inclined to talk about how backwards and old fashioned we are for it, but it's radio silence for everyone else? I appreciate that the impact of the British Empire for a lot of native people was horrendous, and it's inexcusable and I won't ever play it down.

But, do people whose country is committing atrocities today as we speak, really have a lot of room for moral grandstanding? Just because a country doesn't call it an empire, but continues to attack and pillage countries for resources (oil), doesn't make it any better.

Reactions: 19
A few predictions for the future.

• I do think all hell may break loose now Queen Elizabeth II is gone. There could be a few things exposed in the media as things settle down. I don’t think King Charles will be able to control as much. His temper may backfire on him spectacularly.
  • Some protests about the royals’ hypocrisy when it comes to the environment; carbon footprint, hunting etc. it causes a few changes. Not sure what though.
  • Andrew ousted from the family soon (next month or so). Romance with Sarah rekindles and they quietly remarry.
  • Beatrice and Eugenie welcome another child each next year. Girl for both.
  • We will find out more details about the Queen’s death but not via the family. It will be unintentionally leaked.
  • Tour of the Commonwealth for William and Catherine announced next year.
  • Charles opens a palace or two to the public. Not Buckingham though, probably Balmoral St James’s and possibly Kensington eventually.
  • William’s affair is made more public with evidence. There is rarely smoke without fire and the media are unlikely to speculate this much without it. I think Catherine forgave him and they’re fine now. Maybe not a full affair, just a ONS.
  • I think some things are too good to be true. Something will come out about Catherine. Things have been a little too quiet with her. If it’s too good to be true it sometimes is.
  • William and Harry put old dogs to rest and make up after an emotional heart to heart in the next few years after the affair is leaked. A statement will be made but little fuss.
  • Subsequently, Harry and Meghan will return to the UK part time.
  • Edward and Sophie made Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh either at Christmas or around the coronation. At least one of their kids takes the HRH if Charles (or William) realises he’s slimmed the monarchy too much.
  • A documentary about the Queen’s life next year with royals participating.
  • 7-16 year reign for Charles. Camilla will outlive him. I have a feeling Louis will still be a child when William becomes King.
  • Charlotte will continue to be a great support for George. Louis is a wild child but he is not the one William and Catherine will have the most concerns about.
  • The monarchy will be abolished by the time George’s grandchildren are able to ascend to the throne.
  • 1-2 more children for Harry and Meghan. One named after Philip. Harry and Meghan never divorce.
Thank you for these!

Maybe the truth about how the Middletons REALLY made their money will finally come out. Carole laundering brother Gary Goldsmith’s drug millions through her fake shell company ‘Party Pieces’. Discussed on many a website over the years.

All of this is of course ALLEGEDLY and SPECULATION.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
It might sound daft, but it was only really at the funeral that I realised just how many countries have a monarchy.

Isn't it a bit odd that so many countries (*cough cough* I'm looking at you Americans) feel inclined to talk about how backwards and old fashioned we are for it, but it's radio silence for everyone else? I appreciate that the impact of the British Empire for a lot of native people was horrendous, and it's inexcusable and I won't ever play it down.

But, do people whose country is committing atrocities today as we speak, really have a lot of room for moral grandstanding? Just because a country doesn't call it an empire, but continues to attack and pillage countries for resources (oil), doesn't make it any better.
This reminds me of a discussion I saw on Facebook a few weeks ago. Someone called the Falkland Islands the Islas Malvinas and so another person pointed out it likes to be known as the Falkland Islands. A third person, a white guy from America with the US flag in his bio, said ‘imagine going this hard for a country that colonises’ and I felt like saying my good man, you’re a white guy in America. America is colonised land.

Reactions: 14
So there seem to be some changes in the wind.
Harry, according to The Times of London, is reportedly editing his memoir -- whether to soften it, or to add new material from the funeral, no one is clear on. It's thought to be a softening, and represents the second rewrite, the first having been too much about mental health. Curious the experienced Pulitzer-Prize winning ghost writer went along with that. Times headline is, Harry is cutting insensitive parts.
Witchelling: Was Harry threatened in some way during the funeral week? And this third rewrite is the response?
Reminded of the Sandhurst examiners of Harry's entrance exam, who were stunned by the childishness of his answers.
I've also been thinking sadly of what the world has lost with the passing of a female head of state, so long-serving a one. I think more people will start talking about the real queen, and not the marzipan one. Watching Elizabeth R on YT was very sad, can't put my finger on why. It's a world that's gone, all those Edwardian, pre WWI vibes, not just the queen. The sense she wanted to do her father proud; of someone trying to be good, uniquely, at the highest rank; her femininity and being such a good soldier. Her pure pluck, decade after decade on the line.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 6.00.43 PM.png

I think it may be the WWI connection -- her mother's idyllic childhood before the end of civilization in 1914, when her brother was killed, another captured as a POW, and Glamis Castle became a convalescent home and Elizabeth Bowes Lyon a nurse. It is the end of the living memory of that innocence.

Never such innocence,
Never before or since,
As changed itself to past
Without a word – the men
Leaving the gardens tidy,
The thousands of marriages,
Lasting a little while longer:
Never such innocence again.
-- MCMXIV,
Philip Larkin

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I was reading that nothing will be replaced until it wears out or runs out. Stamps will continue until a new batch needs printing, same with money, post boxes etc

Reactions: 7
I was reading that nothing will be replaced until it wears out or runs out. Stamps will continue until a new batch needs printing, same with money, post boxes etc
IIRC with money they will start introducing them from after the Coronation.

Reactions: 1
Harry would look a prized and heartless chump if he didn’t soften the book after that funeral. The people he would be hurting are grieving. The Queen was loved worldwide, it was clear that M and H were included in everything optics wise, to go in hard with a book would be self sabotage at this point.

it’s a shame he doesn’t just ditch his book and move it to being a collection of essays from other people about their experiences. They need to stop making things about them, and make things about others.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.