The Royal Family #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MM’s acting bio stated she was caucasian IIRC. If someone (or someone’s agent) describes them as caucasian when they are mixed race, surely the purpose is to pass them as white (for roles, not necessarily in life of course)?
Probably because it meant she would get to an audition without her CV being chucked in the bin. She said she was white, but she is not. She may have said she was white to more of a chance of roles. Thats not her fault, its the fault of acting and other industries who do not employ people if they are the wrong skin colour or if the wrong name is on the CV.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Princess Latifa is currently getting all the headlines due to the videos and the drama of her recapture, but her full sister Princess Shamsa is also missing, having been kidnapped off the street in Cambridge in 2000, a month after fleeing to stay with friends.

In 2019, Princess Haya of Jordan found that she had been divorced by her husband, Latifa and Shamsa's father, and fled with her two children to England where the children were made wards of court to stop them being taken out of the country. The English High Court found (on the balance of probabilities) during the resulting custody battle and appeals that Sheikh Mohammed was responsible for the two kidnappings of his daughters and for a campaign of harassment against Princess Haya. The court also issued a Forced Marriage Protection Order for Haya's daughter. The unusual decision to make the proceedings public was in order to ensure that the position of the two children as wards of court was widely known in the event of an attempt to remove them from the country according to the the President of the Family Division. Princess Haya now has diplomatic protection too as she is now attached to the UK Jordanian Embassy.

This is awkward for the BRF as they are also friendly with the Jordanian Royal Family (you see Haya greeted by a kiss when the Queen meets her at the races) and Haya's older half-brother King Abdullah is half English. The late King Hussein may have had four wives but at least he was a serial monogamist with two divorces and a widowhood, unlike Sheikh Mohammed! Jordan is a lot more liberal with regard to women, in particular royal women, than Dubai, with at least one sister of Abdullah and one of his two daughters graduating from Sandhurst and pursuing military careers, including Special Forces and flying.

HM has to walk a bit of a tightrope between the two sets of Middle East royalty that she is friendly with.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I think Princess Haya has had a very lucky escape and I'm pretty convinced that's down to her high profile as a former Olympic rider and president of the FEI; it would have been very hard to make her disappear. The Jordanians have played a blinder giving her an embassy position and therefore diplomatic protection. I hope Shamsa and Latifa similarly find their independence.

Reactions: 7
But prior to the wedding Meghan didn't strike me as mixed race or a woman of colour also because she didn't seem to adopt the traditions, I think. Eg she never had a traditional hair style, dress sense and culturally seemed to associate with trendy food, trendy life style locations etc Maybe to me the cultural belonging is more important than the colour of the skin or the parent's skin
We don't all walk around with our hair braided and wearing traditional African dress and black people like fashionable food and lifestyles too 🙄

Reactions: 17
Talking about the women who have been kidnapped, I read this about the case of Shamsa, who hasn’t been seen in 20 years ‘the British police detective who tried to investigate Princess Shamsa’s kidnapping from outside the Cambridge pub says that his inquiry was shut down to save official embarrassment. Retired Detective Superintendent David Beck came forward to say he was investigating the abduction and rendition when the case was shelved amid alleged meddling from the Foreign Office. It is claimed, reported the Daily Mail without making entirely clear if this claim also came from SI Beck, that Labour foreign secretary Robin Cook, who died in 2005, was involved in the decision as a diplomatic favour’.
How disgusting, why are women’s lives so cheap and to be used to curry ‘diplomatic favour’?

• Angry
Reactions: 9
I didn't realise that Meghan was mixed race until I saw her mother at her wedding.
But I didn't follow the press, I was abroad for a while (glorious pre-Covid times) and was surprised to see the announcement of the Royal Wedding, which I watched.
I initially didn't register Meghan to be a woman of colour or mixed race, it became clear to me when I saw her mother, the gospel choir etc. But I might be a bit naive, my focus wasn't on it (as in: I don't scan people and analyse their skin colour).

But prior to the wedding Meghan didn't strike me as mixed race or a woman of colour also because she didn't seem to adopt the traditions, I think. Eg she never had a traditional hair style, dress sense and culturally seemed to associate with trendy food, trendy life style locations etc Maybe to me the cultural belonging is more important than the colour of the skin or the parent's skin.

What about adopted children? I have a friend from Korea that has been adopted by white English parents. To me she was always English, despite her somewhat exotic look. But she hadn't even visited Korea, she spoke English and grew up in England.

Sorry, this is OT I guess
So people of color are supposed to play into your eurocentric conceptions of race and ethnicity so you may perceive them a certain light? Sounds a lot like people who will say "I don't see color."

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I think Princess Haya has had a very lucky escape and I'm pretty convinced that's down to her high profile as a former Olympic rider and president of the FEI; it would have been very hard to make her disappear. The Jordanians have played a blinder giving her an embassy position and therefore diplomatic protection. I hope Shamsa and Latifa similarly find their independence.
Apparently part of the marriage agreement between the two royal families was that Haya would be "the public wife" and not secluded. It would be even more noticeable had she disappeared. She also has a bit more clout in her own status than the other women; there could well be an international incident were she to be obviously silenced. However, an 'accident' or 'illness' would be tragic but not so obviously actionable.

I believe that Haya said that she had had the opportunity to speak to Latifa before she herself fled; I'm not sure whether she got the chance to speak to Shamsa.

Reactions: 7
Apparently part of the marriage agreement between the two royal families was that Haya would be "the public wife" and not secluded.
Why would she agree to this, I believe her brother only has one wife and it seems (correct me if I’m wrong) that the younger members of the Jordanian royal family don’t have multiple wives. So for Princess Haya to choose this life seems a bit of a step backwards? I must confess that I do not know much about the Middle Eastern Royals so I could be way off the mark here.

Reactions: 3
Why would she agree to this, I believe her brother only has one wife and it seems (correct me if I’m wrong) that the younger members of the Jordanian royal family don’t have multiple wives. So for Princess Haya to choose this life seems a bit of a step backwards? I must confess that I do not know much about the Middle Eastern Royals so I could be way off the mark here.
She was warned what he is like. I'm amazed she had an affair, amazed. Divorce first with dangerous men ffs.
Gulf Arabs were still living the same life they had for centuries until the 1980s, so they've got a hell of a journey ahead, and tbf they're trying to modernise without wrecking their culture. It's a bit like criticising Jane Austin heroines for not having an only fans account etc. I don't know the whole story with the daughter, but I don't believe she had to run away or be a prisoner, it's likely she's being used and maybe not well.
Sheikh Mo is loved by his people, and he is a total autocrat. His kids however are not all kept locked up, they have a lot of noisy fun at their houses on the Palm, annoying for the neighbours.

Reactions: 2
So people of color are supposed to play into your eurocentric conceptions of race and ethnicity so you may perceive them a certain light? Sounds a lot like people who will say "I don't see color."
No, people of colour are not "supposed to play into" my anything.

I shared my own personal observation. Is this not allowed?

I find your response to my post condescending

We don't all walk around with our hair braided and wearing traditional African dress and black people like fashionable food and lifestyles too 🙄
I didn't say you would, I was just sharing my observations. Those were not supposed to be a dig at anyone.

Reactions: 8
Honestly just feels like the whole race thing is off topic at this point.
Meghan is white passing and that's fine, to some people that may sadly have a meaning that's more negative but I don't think it's right to say that other people shouldn't use the word when they're not being degrading.

Reactions: 9
She was born in the US, as were her parents! Her ethnicity is still mixed race African-American/ white. I was born here, I dont have an accent, ( unless you count Sourh London)I wear Western clothes, I have an English surname because I changed it on marriage. I eat lots of different types of food. On the phone, you wouldnt know I was not white. But my cultural heritage is still part of me and my family.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Honestly just feels like the whole race thing is off topic at this point.
Meghan is white passing and that's fine, to some people that may sadly have a meaning that's more negative but I don't think it's right to say that other people shouldn't use the word when they're not being degrading.
I can say what I want first and foremost. There are lots of words we don't use now because they are degrading whether you mean it or not.
My issue is people saying that she doesn't play into their perceived idea of what a mixed race woman should or shouldn't be doing. "she likes fashionable food, so she couldn't possibly connect with her black heritage" hits me hard. (I don't think it was you that said that BTW).

She was born in the US, as were her parents! Her ethnicity is still mixed race African-American/ white. I was born here, I dont have an accent, ( unless you count Sourh London)I wear Western clothes, I have an English surname because I changed it on marriage. I eat lots of different types of food. On the phone, you wouldnt know I was not white. But my cultural heritage is still part of me and my family.
Exactly my point.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I can say what I want first and foremost. There are lots of words we don't use now because they are degrading whether you mean it or not.
My issue is people saying that she doesn't play into their perceived idea of what a mixed race woman should or shouldn't be doing. "she likes fashionable food, so she couldn't possibly connect with her black heritage" hits me hard. (I don't think it was you that said that BTW).

Exactly my point.
I didn't say that either. If you read your quotation and my post then you will see that there is a clear difference in statement.

I explained how I perceive people. Not just MM but also my friend who was adopted from Korea.

Of course MM is permitted to connect to her African heritage and she might do so, but I don't know that because what I saw her doing was wearing trendy British and US brands and doing SoHo house things - so I perceived her as someone who enjoys to be on trend.
How should I know whether she connects to her ethnic heritage if she doesn't demonstrate it? It would be pure speculation.
Likewise I didn't think "she couldn't possibly like to read as she attends a music festival" - how should I know? The two things have nothing to do with each other.

This would be the same if her hair was blonde. I would still have perceived her the same way. A trendy modern woman. My adopted friend from Korea is similar. And she doesn't connect to her Korean roots at all, she sees herself as English.

And no, when I saw the first pictures with Harry I didn't think "Oh, she is mixed race". I didn't notice it. What I thought was "the dress is a bit over the top, but she is very pretty" (it was the engagement photo),

Is there only one acceptable way to perceive a mixed race person you see for the very fist time? Like a protocol? Then I don't seem to know it, pls elaborate.

So if there would be a Spanish girl, with an accent and wearing colourful clothes, I would more likely perceive her to be from Southern Europe as if she had an English accent and would wear whatever was on trend at that moment in time.

I don't know why I need to explain this.

Reactions: 4
I didn't say that either. If you read your quotation and my post then you will see that there is a clear difference in statement.

I explained how I perceive people. Not just MM but also my friend who was adopted from Korea.

Of course MM is permitted to connect to her African heritage and she might do so, but I don't know that because what I saw her doing was wearing trendy British and US brands and doing SoHo house things - so I perceived her as someone who enjoys to be on trend.
How should I know whether she connects to her ethnic heritage if she doesn't demonstrate it? It would be pure speculation.
Likewise I didn't think "she couldn't possibly like to read as she attends a music festival" - how should I know? The two things have nothing to do with each other.

This would be the same if her hair was blonde. I would still have perceived her the same way. A trendy modern woman. My adopted friend from Korea is similar. And she doesn't connect to her Korean roots at all, she sees herself as English.

And no, when I saw the first pictures with Harry I didn't think "Oh, she is mixed race". I didn't notice it. What I thought was "the dress is a bit over the top, but she is very pretty" (it was the engagement photo),

Is there only one acceptable way to perceive a mixed race person you see for the very fist time? Like a protocol? Then I don't seem to know it, pls elaborate.

So if there would be a Spanish girl, with an accent and wearing colourful clothes, I would more likely perceive her to be from Southern Europe as if she had an English accent and would wear whatever was on trend at that moment in time.

I don't know why I need to explain this.
Okay it isn't my job to educate you, but I'm just going to explain this one thing. I am trying to bear in mind that if we were having a face to face conversation we may be interacting differently as sometimes things aren't read in the the tone intended.

My implication from your post is that because Megan is (in your opinion) fashionable, a bit of a foodie, living a modern life etc then she isn't connecting with her roots which in turn leads me to believe that you think all people of colour can't be fashionable, exciting, up to date. I really don't see how you connected a modern Megan with not connecting with her roots and what I am saying is that people of colour are modern and fashionable. That isn't just reserved for white folk.

There was a whole movement in the summer explaining this... Did you miss it?

You didn't realise she was mixed race and was surprised to learn this because... What? What do you think a mixed race person looks like other than the colour of her skin? We're just like you! We like the same things!!!

Maybe chat to your Korean pal some more about being a person of colour and the prejudices he or she experiences.

I'm going to move on now.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Okay it isn't my job to educate you, but I'm just going to explain this one thing. I am trying to bear in mind that if we were having a face to face conversation we may be interacting differently as sometimes things aren't read in the the tone intended.

My implication from your post is that because Megan is (in your opinion) fashionable, a bit of a foodie, living a modern life etc then she isn't connecting with her roots which in turn leads me to believe that you think all people of colour can't be fashionable, exciting, up to date. I really don't see how you connected a modern Megan with not connecting with her roots and what I am saying is that people of colour are modern and fashionable. That isn't just reserved for white folk.

There was a whole movement in the summer explaining this... Did you miss it?

You didn't realise she was mixed race and was surprised to learn this because... What? What do you think a mixed race person looks like other than the colour of her skin? We're just like you! We like the same things!!!

Maybe chat to your Korean pal some more about being a person of colour and the prejudices he or she experiences.

I'm going to move on now.
Your implication of my post is not at all what I wanted to say.

I wanted to say: I can only see and interpret what people show.
I don’t know who is connected to their roots if they don’t talk about it or show it otherwise.

I didn’t recognize MM as mixed race initially as in the engagement photos she simply looked like a tanned California girl to me. I didn’t analyze her skin color under the microscope though. the engagement photos and those with the Hunter boots and cap are the first photos I have seen of her.

And of course everyone can be a fashionable foodie regardless of their ethnicity, I am just saying that this is all I knew about her. Without doing a full research. And people can be fadhionable AND traditional, but with MM I didn’t notice where she was from, there was no information in the photos and brief article I saw (it said she was a lifestyle and food blogger and actress). Only when I saw her mum did I realize. Not that it matters though.

In comparison, Hilaria Baldwin speaks about Spain a lot, has an accent, named her children accordingly - I perceived her to be Spanish (which she might not even be now).

And my English friend that was adopted from Korea doesn’t see herself as a person of Colour, she sees herself as English and I see her the same way. She grew up in the English culture, doesn’t know anyone in Korea and her face shape and skin tone are irrelevant in our view.
I don’t think she is obligated to connect to her birth roots if she isnt interested. Maybe she will be in future.

No, I didn’t miss the BLM movement.

You seem to me like I offended you which wasn’t my intention at all.
I certainly didn’t want to imply that pow are not fashionable or foodies, apologies if i5 came across that way

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.