Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sandro37

VIP Member
Also trying to discredit her interview, making out she was manipulated and didn’t know what she was saying.
The rewriting of history is really being pressed with regards to Charles and Diana, Wills is happily joining in to make his mother seem unstable and paranoid.
Lovely.
Wiliams position is difficult but he needs to do it in order to save his own and his sons' sons asses, if people disapprove of Charles once he is a king (any time soon) it is quite possible that monarchy will dissolve before William reaches the trone, so now they all need to push with the same rope, weather you like it or not, his mother is underground but they are still very much alive and they eminent future, their comfortable livelihood is in stake

But are t the siblings of the monarch, the spares, expected to support the monarch/ the monarchy?

Like Anne for example?
yes and since H&M didn't feel like doing it, they were nicely pushed aside

Well its a drama that seems to fit pretty closely to the actual words of one party. I agree that it seems so far to be very sympathetic to Diana but she was a child when she married. Im not sure how much more sympathetic they can be to Charles without blaming the larger Royal Family, or wondering why, if she was mentally unstable, they seemngly did nothing to help her. In any case, mental instability isnt a character flaw, its a lot of the time a result of your upbringing/ circumstance. Her family were cruel and didnt care about her unless it was as Princess of Wales and the Royals did nothing about a young girl who was struggling was living under their roof vanishing in front of their eyes.
the thing is, it was a very different times back then, now you think of mental issues as something what can and should be helped and supported, back then they showed them into asylum (as can be seen with cousins). Now everything is viewed differently, before the king could have affrairs now he is unsupportive husband, bad boys could have been bad boys but wifes had to sit at home politely waiting for them to return, andrew got away with his antics, now ppl want him hanging, before Diana was unstable because maybe she was born that way, now people know who made it happen (one can go on an on) - not a good PR if you ask me

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

Great_Kate

VIP Member
I think it’s completely possible to feel both sides. You can generally like Wiliam and Kate but point out that they are really not raking in good numbers. ESP now, where they could work so much from home and wouldn’t have to “leave” the kids. I mean none of us knows them personally and they make damn sure it stays that way. So, while I am sure Kate is a nice person and can look very beautiful- I still find her current look horrible. If I wouldn’t believe they are done with children I would place a high bet on another pregnancy. She looks extremely thin now. It’s way past her lean figure and more her, I have lost 5% body weight due to HG look. I find the term Stick Woman very harsh, but I cannot disagree anymore. Fashion wise I wish we would see her nude pumps, wedges and coat dresses again. She could pull them off much better than everything she tried since those days.
Both truly lucked out with Andrew (even though this train wreck might bite them all in the ass) and the Duke and Duchess of Woke. If H&M hadn’t given this stupid interview in SA and got their game together we would read completely different headlines. But they didn’t and people have forgotten about the thousand times Kate has “embarrassed” or “disregarded” the Queen, or “broken protocol”. Or when Wiliam made stupid remarks or broke out of the wholesome family picture.
I just hope they know that they will fall out of favour again and when it happens just get on with it instead of whining and throwing tantrums because they believed their own hype (as someone else).

• Heart

Theninth

I don't see any evidence a "high society class" has any better 'morals' than anyone else. Quite the opposite in fact. Nazism, affairs, intolerance, unkindness to family members, deceiving the public, treating staff badly, being above the law, hustling for money, misuse of public assets, the list goes on.
I look up to people who achieve something. Scientists. Academics. Sportspeople. Authors. Musicians. It's irrelevant what family they were born into, but important what they do with their lives, how they behave and how they have benefitted others. There's no reason for me to look up to William and Kate. Or Andrew. Or his daughters.
Apologies if it came across that way but I wasn't talking about the lower classes in general more the celebrities who are pushed into the limelight these days for young children to idolise.
I'm also not talking about political agendas but the way in which people carry themselves.
I personally don't need my children to look up to any of these people which is why I haven't owned a television for the last 10 years. I grew up in a working class family and understand the grit and determination of people of all classes. I specifically mean the way people are portrayed in the media. I wouldn't like my children to aspire to a position of fame in any sense but if they do strive for that then I would hope they would always maintain humility and self respect. Again apologies if my comment was came across in the wrong way.

Oh no. This would be horrible. Not more bad news. I am having a hard time and the world is in a state and I was looking forward to his 100th birthday...

• Sad

Vanillaco

VIP Member
Could it be that it was possible it was Philip's or Porchester's, but no one knew until Andrew was born?
Yes that's true actually. And shes The Queen so I suppose it doesnt matter who the father is.

Interesting read. Convincing, even though Lady Colin Campbell is just a gossip monger who pretends she has Royal connections. I suppose it's also possible that HM put her foot down and forced Phil to just accept that she was going to have the baby whatever he thought. I suppose that's plausible if they had effectively been separated for a decade and she was in love with Porchy. I think Edward does look like Phil, so she could have agreed to have Phil's baby as compensation after that. Phil has it good married to The Queen when hes the son of a deposed monarch. He would put up with it I'd imagine as he can do what he likes as long as he puts on a show now and then.

Last edited:

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
I have seen that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Diana is season 5. Don’t think she will be good if they go with “Diana was a Saint” route. If they go with “Diana was not a Saint and was playing a role” she will be quite good, or at least I think so.

Emsie

VIP Member
I love it when people talk about the Royal Family’s history! ❤

Most of the vilification of R3 was courtesy of the Tudors. Henry VII fended off multiple uprisings by people claiming to be one of the Princes as well, and Henry VII and his successors were really sensitive about their relatively weak claim on the crown.

One of the the biggest piece of propaganda about R3 was from Shakespeare who really played up the crooked cowardly hunchback thing.

Henry VII actually took pity on one of the attempted usurpers because I think the boy was so young at around ten years old, so after crushing his army, Henry gave him a job and the lad ended up caring for the King’s birds of prey. Later, older lads weren’t so lucky.

On a similar note of misrepresented Kings, I believe that King John was actually a very good King contrary to the Robin Hood nonsense. His brother, Richard the Lionheart didn’t spend very long in England at all and was only interested in his French interests and plundering the Middle East. A lot of the tax efforts was part of financing the “Lionheart’s” war machine and was part of the political struggle between a medieval King and his nobility over power.

Also, I always wondered if Edward II was unlucky in that he comes across as a very Renaissance style King, who was unfortunately born into the height of the medieval period where being a bit of an educated fop was a liability. His wife Isabella was something though, even if she did have him murdered.
I am obsessed with Royal history, especially the end of the war of roses and tudors. I've heard that about Shakespeare before that he and the tudors vilified Richard to strengthen their shaky throne... H7 inherited through his mother's illegimate line I think.. His wife's claim was much stronger! Often wonder what Elizabeth felt about these boys coming forward claiming to be her brother. I know that in those times they wouldn't have been as close to each other as say Harry and William (pre meghan times) but still...
Funfact: the queen of hearts in playing cards is rumoured to be based on Elizabeth, mother of Henry8

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Meghan was caught on camera being rude at the garden party. She didn’t follow protocol, walked in front of Charles, accepted gifts meant for others, was heard saying it was boring and photographed with her tongue out. Charles had her and Harry removed.
I know that's meant to be bad behaviour but I love it 😂😂 reminds me of when Diana and Fergie got their knuckles wrapped

Emsie

VIP Member
Possibly a bit random (sorry) but my ultimate historical crush is Thomas Cromwell; listening to the super long audible of The Mirror & The Light at the moment - to get as far as he did from such a disadvantaged / abusive background and to put up with so much from our then noble classes, bunch of entitled snobby, greedy prats. They don’t make em like Thomas anymore!
Oh I'm going to get this! I have some audible credits.. Thank you x
My girl crush will always be Anne Boleyn x

• Heart

Emsie

VIP Member
I havent watched season 2 yet but have seen season 1. Its wildly inaccurate but entertaining. More soap than history. Each princess series has got my historically fluid. The White Queen had its faults but it was fairly accurate
Yes! Exactly this... A soap opera 😊 Phillippa Gregory got me interested in history when I was a teen so I've got a soft spot for her. I love all the clothes too. I think the dramatisation interests a younger audience.
The lady that plays Margaret Beauford seems to always play Margaret Beauford in everything. I always see her in historical dramas!
It's also making me remember how much I love Margaret Pole.

Falkor

VIP Member
Also, wasn’t one of Camilla Parker Bowles’ ancestors also a royal mistress? I know her cousin was the first to win the million pound prize in Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in the UK years ago.
Yes, Alice Keppel. She's Camilla's great-grandmother.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Taking it waaay back. Who killed the prince's in the tower (sorry if this has been done)
I think it was Henry VII because that way he got rid of the opposition. Richard III had no reason to kill them as he had made them illegitimate after his brother had been contracted to marry before he married Elizabeth Woodville there by making their children illegitimate. Henry then went onto marry the princes sister, Elizabeth of York, to quash any uprising in her name.