The Royal Family #16

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe William isn’t trying to “silence” his mum so much as let her rest in peace? She’s been gone for a long time and what’s in the past is in the past. Maybe it hurts him to have it all dragged up all the time. My mum died 5 years ago and while I want to remember her and talk about her with my kids and share what she was like, as I’m sure William does with Kate and the children who never knew her, I wouldn’t want to see her all over the media for things that happened 40 years ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I just down think there Is any point trying to retrofit the fact that she wouldn’t have said what she did if she hadn’t been manipulated. She was a loose cannon with an axe to grind (apologies to all the metaphors out there) and had been giving it trial bursts on the grinder and handing it over to Sources for them to grind on her behalf long before, and William knows that better than anyone. I completely understand him being upset about the family dirty laundry being washed in public, but it was being played out on the front of the tabloids long before that.

I totally agree the interview shouldn’t be shown again and I feel immense sympathy for Tiggy - if they should be held to account for anything, then it’s what they did to her.

Reactions: 7
She very probably would have done an interview anyway, but the way it was scored was extremely unethical and it very possible might have been conducted differently without the manipulations. The thing is- the content is out there and it will pop up on YT and in segments forever. At this point everything has been said about this chapter. There is nothing new. We had all angles and it’s all out there.
I think it’s only fair if a child doesn’t want to be confronted with this painful moment. William was around. He has a much better idea about how she was she what went on behind close doors than anyone. Diana wasn’t exactly a stable personality and Bashir played on it. I wonder if Wiliam blames him for things that he experienced with her, maybe even the frantic/irresponsible decisions that played a rule in her accident. H hasn’t said anything about it that goes against Williams wish as well. I think people should accept her children’s wishes. Just as they should have accepted that her children shouldn’t be paraded around to accept condolences by masses of hysterical strangers. Diana is dead. Her sons will feel the loss forever. Maybe the public can let them have some peace around this finally. Because no matter what we believe, in the end the only thing that matters is what her children think. And as far as I know they think the blame lies with the press then. Even with the obvious ongoing rift, neither party has deviated from this.

As I said above- there is no way of making it go away anyway. Once on the internet forever on the internet. No matter if professionals refrain from using the footage.

Reactions: 7
It was a strange, hysterical time from start to finish … or engagement to funeral … and William and Harry are still living with the tail end of it even now.

I remember our local coach firm running trips for a week or more to Kensington Place and a friend of mum’s, who must have been late 70’s at the time went on every trip, bearing in mind it was a 12 hour day, that was some going just to stare at some flowers.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I was working in central London and living in Kent when Diana died and every morning my commuter train was packed with ‘mourners’ of all ages, carrying huge, fragrant bunches of flowers, the station was packed with them, and there was such a weird atmosphere of sadness, but also anger against ‘the establishment’ - and particularly Prince Charles. It was a very odd time to be alive.

Iirc, Diana humiliated Tiggy Legg Bourke at a party, mentioning how sorry she was to hear if her 'miscarriage', believing Tiggy had aborted PC baby.

The affair and abortion was a lie, also instigated by Bashir.

Who knows what she wouldn't have said and done without the lies she was fed, which also fed her paranoia that the RF were out to kill her.

I also think William wants her to rest in peace after all these years, not silence her. It's all documented now anyway.

Reactions: 11
She very probably would have done an interview anyway, but the way it was scored was extremely unethical and it very possible might have been conducted differently without the manipulations. The thing is- the content is out there and it will pop up on YT and in segments forever. At this point everything has been said about this chapter. There is nothing new. We had all angles and it’s all out there.
I think it’s only fair if a child doesn’t want to be confronted with this painful moment. William was around. He has a much better idea about how she was she what went on behind close doors than anyone. Diana wasn’t exactly a stable personality and Bashir played on it. I wonder if Wiliam blames him for things that he experienced with her, maybe even the frantic/irresponsible decisions that played a rule in her accident. H hasn’t said anything about it that goes against Williams wish as well. I think people should accept her children’s wishes. Just as they should have accepted that her children shouldn’t be paraded around to accept condolences by masses of hysterical strangers. Diana is dead. Her sons will feel the loss forever. Maybe the public can let them have some peace around this finally. Because no matter what we believe, in the end the only thing that matters is what her children think. And as far as I know they think the blame lies with the press then. Even with the obvious ongoing rift, neither party has deviated from this.

As I said above- there is no way of making it go away anyway. Once on the internet forever on the internet. No matter if professionals refrain from using the footage.
William was allegedly privy to a lot more details than Harry ever was. I’ve read that Diana would cuddle up to him in bed and whisper all her troubles in his ear, or he’d have to pass her tissues under the door if she was in the bathroom crying. If this is true, that would have been hugely damaging for a child who would have been about 10 to early teens at the time. It’s hardly any wonder that he doesn’t want to be reminded of it every time he goes online or reads a newspaper.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
One thing I’ve I’ve always thought out of sympathy for William and Harry is was there really a need for the interview anyway? It’s not so much as silencing someone, but that not everyone needs to know everything about you. You have two young children, one is a teenage boy that will be king and you put your own grievances and issues ahead of their needs. The want to get one up on each other was greater than wanting to just love and protect your children. Charles did his interview as well that wasn’t as famous, but it applies to him as well. It’s the same for all divorced parents that think their divorce and problems as two grown adults is more important than the needs of their children.

I’m all for royal gossip and find the inner workings of them interesting, but it’s still tricky because it was the same with Harry and Meghan’s interview, like why should we know the intimate details of your family and why do you think you’re so important that we need to know?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
That’s such a Sussex Stan narrative
I’m not a ‘Sussex Stan’ 😒

It was a strange, hysterical time from start to finish … or engagement to funeral … and William and Harry are still living with the tail end of it even now.

I remember our local coach firm running trips for a week or more to Kensington Place and a friend of mum’s, who must have been late 70’s at the time went on every trip, bearing in mind it was a 12 hour day, that was some going just to stare at some flowers.
I was alive at the time. It too young to understand. But I don’t understand the outpouring, it seems excessive seeing videos of the time and people are breaking down in the street and hysterically sobbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
William was allegedly privy to a lot more details than Harry ever was. I’ve read that Diana would cuddle up to him in bed and whisper all her troubles in his ear, or he’d have to pass her tissues under the door if she was in the bathroom crying. If this is true, that would have been hugely damaging for a child who would have been about 10 to early teens at the time. It’s hardly any wonder that he doesn’t want to be reminded of it every time he goes online or reads a newspaper.
Look up 'parentification' and 'emotional incest.'

• Sad
Reactions: 10
The statements and accusations Diana made against the Charles and Royal Family when she thought her husband had impregnated the Nanny, or without 'proof' that her private secretary was being paid to spy on her are probably very different to the ones she would have made without that information.
I 100% agree with this.

I saw it discussed on social media that they were trying to rewrite history or silence Diana and I don't think that at all. I also believe she made that interview on the back of being fed lies and being manipulated. Why continue to show something that was based on lies? The only way to show it again is with a whole lot of caveats.

It was because she thought she was being spied on that led to her refusing police protection. It can be argued that that decision cost her her life.

William wants her to rest in peace.

Reactions: 12
Allowing a journalist the opportunity to continue making money from a piece of work that was produced through such unethical means doesn’t seem a great way of discouraging this behaviour in the future. Especially when the subject of the work is now dead and there’s an argument to say she wouldn’t be had he not intervened.

Reactions: 6
I think he had a hard time at school after the interview too and was angry with Diana for doing it. It must have been a difficult time in his life. Why would he want it to be shown again especially now that he knows she was manipulated into it.

I’m not a ‘Sussex Stan’ 😒

I was alive at the time. It too young to understand. But I don’t understand the outpouring, it seems excessive seeing videos of the time and people are breaking down in the street and hysterically sobbing.
I was 24 at the time, living in London and yes, it was excessive. I think people were in shock although I remember being 'shocked but not surprised' at the time. She was a truly global icon but both justified and not so justified reasons for many years.

I wasn't a fan myself but there was no doubting her 'star quality '

Reactions: 10
I was 24 at the time, living in London and yes, it was excessive. I think people were in shock although I remember being 'shocked but not surprised' at the time. She was a truly global icon but both justified and not so justified reasons for many years.

I wasn't a fan myself but there was no doubting her 'star quality '
I’ve never seen anything on that scale about any other public persons death.

Reactions: 4
I wonder if something similar will happen when the Queen dies
I doubt it.

TQ is a very old lady who has had a remarkable life. It will be sad but it won't be a tragedy.

Diana was 36 and died in horrible circumstances. Completely different scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
I doubt it.

TQ is a very old lady who has had a remarkable life. It will be sad but it won't be tragedy.

Diana was 36 and died in horrible circumstances. Completely different scenario.
It was still beyond any sort of reason though.

it was like a folie à deux just with a whole country.

It was still beyond any sort of reason though.

it was like a folie à deux just with a whole country.
It was insane.

I was at a caravan site in France when I heard the news. There was a whole load of Brits watching the news on a small TV. I swear when we flew back to the UK a couple of days later you could feel the atsmophere. Very odd.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.