Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
The vast majority of the Lords are not hereditary peers now or even political appointees but scientists, businessmen, sportsmen, religious leaders, journalists, figures in the arts plus some ex politicians. Canada also has an appointed second chamber. Most European second chambers are not directly elected.

Saudi Arabia and Brunei are absolute monarchies, so not direct comparisons with our constitutional monarchy. Our monarchs haven't done what they wanted since the English civil war and Glorious Revolution as Parliament ultimately makes the laws in the UK

Most likely we would follow the US or French system, I am a diehard monarchist but if we ever became a republic I would push hard for that, a powerful imperial Presidency in the French and US style to reflect our equivalent status in the world.

Though constitutional monarchy is still my preference to all forms of republics
Mate, seriously, be realistic. If we had a President who truly reflected our current status in the world, then we’d be looking at President Katie Price.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

hannah123

VIP Member
She is in Balmoral. Seemingly she will travel to London to appoint the new UK PM and then she will return to Balmoral.
Ignoring all the privileges this life has given her, imagine being 96 and having to travel back from your holiday to appoint yet another PM. The 3rd in 4 years, she must think, like a lot of us, are you all incapable of just staying in a job for 5 minutes?

• Haha
Reactions: 20

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
She obviously didn’t use a surrogate, just ignoring the lunacy of it that she could have hidden that from all the members of the family, but her face and body had the visible signs of pregnancy.

Not to police threads, but one of the good things about this thread is it seems to be majority well rounded people just sharing different opinions in a reasonable calm way, please don’t bring conspiracy theories here.
Yes that's what the Meghan and Harry thread is for. Most of us are here because we don't want to go there. If this thread is turning into the same old nonsense ( and 200+ threads aren't enough for you) then I can't be bothered with it. It will save me some time anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Em_gardener

VIP Member
Kate clearly wasn't into building a big career for herself and her family had enough money that she was able to make that choice. I don't think she was doing anything very different to what she would have been doing if she'd had a different boyfriend that wasn't a royal.
It's annoying for those of us that have to work for a living but that's how the very wealthy operate. Kate's problem was that because her boyfriend was royal she had to be seen to be doing something and to be fair to her, she was dealing with massive press intrusion into her life at the time and "working" in the family business probably felt safer/easier. I've never heard of Pippa having a job outside the family business either so I don't think it's anything to do with her dating a royal or waiting for William. I think it's just the way they are and they're rich enough to afford it. I, unfortunately, cannot afford it but I def wouldn't work full time (or maybe at all!) if I had the choice! The charity work was for her CV to be a royal wife and because it's probably an enjoyable social thing to do with fellow rich people. They just live differently to the rest of us. She's not an outlier compared to her peers.

Reactions: 19

DaisyDeluxe

VIP Member
Yes this is an interesting point. In retrospect, HM was correct to keep the boys away from London and to give them space to get over the shock and start to grieve. It was really quite barbaric to have them face the angry crowds. At the time though the public mood was angry and HM must have taken advice to come back.
It really was a weird time.
The media hounded her back to London. All the headlines about "where is the Queen" as if she was letting her people down. Her priority was her two young grandsons who had just lost their mother. Random wailers and criers on the street did not need the Queen to be in London for them.

• Sad
Reactions: 18

Popcorn&Peanuts

If anyone doubts the invisible contract between the British press and the royals, consider this - #princeofpegging was the #1 trending topic in the UK on Twitter yesterday, and in the top 10 in the US, Australia and several other countries but there is NO mention, not even a hint as far as I saw, on the Daily Mail.

Yet, when Meghan's OBGYN closed her practice - a private citizen doing a totally normal, personal thing - there was a full-blown article complete with pictures of the poor woman and a thousand DM banshees wailing and moaning and gnashing their teeth about her decision.

But no no, they're all treated the same by the media, you know... 🙄

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Without the royal association they wouldn't be living in multimillion pound properties. Do they receive medical care via the royal association too? If not, they most likely get private healthcare with ease anyway.
If there is one thing life has taught me, it’s that those who have The most (in monetary/power terms … and this does not just apply to the RF) pay the least.

Isa_Drennan

VIP Member
It is weird you have to vilify the other and praise the other. I can't dislike them both, eh?
It’s bonkers. I don’t see anything to admire about any of them. Born royals or the ones who marry in. I can’t wrap my head around having a hard-on for people who think they’re your betters.

• Heart

Amelia99

VIP Member
The Royals live an incredibly pampered, privileged and elite lifestyle which is entirely unlike that of 99.999 per cent of their “subjects.”

Some people like having a Royal Family and are ok with that. Others think the RF is an outmoded institution and should be abolished.

But nobody with an iota of sense believes for one second that the RF are “just like us.”

• Heart

Boring Monday

VIP Member
This is silly. Your dad didn't see bump falling. Babies move around in the womb they don't just stay stock still til they are born. She was was pregnant and gave birth. She probably did have access to some medical care to get pregnant quickly given her age but 38 year old get pregnant naturally every day.
I don't know if I could squat when I was pregnant as I never attempted it.
Slate Megan for the things she did, this where the Megan haters lose traction as they start with all this silliness.
Her kids would have had it worse then the Cambridge kids give that their own family was concerned about their skin colour the daily fail readers would be having a field day any time one of them caught the sun. I love how Lili is practically ginger and white ... that's how genetics work.
I can barely squat, let alone get up from it in any circumstances (it’s not pretty) … friend was gambolling around on 3 inch heels and squatting and doing yoga and other exercise at 9 months’ preggers. Everyone is different. Just because ‘you’ (generic) can or can’t do something doesn’t mean It follows that everyone else can/can’t.

Last edited:
  • Heart

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Reflecting on the debate about monarchy vs elected Head of State, I’m curious as to what those in favour of it think the ACTUAL benefit would be for the UK to switch over from a ceremonial Monarch to a ceremonial/figurehead President? (Other than the inherited vs “elected” aspect). What would the pro-republic actual selling points be if the question was taken to a referendum? Or would it just be done as a coup?

For your average Jane/Joe Public would whatever benefit that was gained outweigh the cost and sheer hassle of making such a change? Would it improve our day-to-day lives? And if so, how?

I don’t think it wouldn’t be a quick/easy thing to actually change (lawyers will love it though 🤣).

And before we got to even having the Referendum, wouldn’t we need to have an agreement about the type of President that would replace the Monarchy - that could go on for ages and has the potential to become quite acrimonious. But you can’t ask someone to vote about abolishing something, without having a firm replacement model already agreed. (Some people might be theoretically in favour of abolishing the Monarchy, but may prefer that to the actual alternative that was agreed/offered)

Would the end benefit to Jane/Joe Public really be significant enough to warrant the hassle/effort of changing one type of ceremonial figurehead to another type of ceremonial figurehead?

My personal opinion is that while I’m not wedded to the idea of continuing as a monarchy, I can’t see another model that would give enough long-term benefit to be worth the effort of changing everything.

Happy to be convinced otherwise though.
I think it's more an academic point for me. I dont think we eill ever become a Republic, unless the Royals actually decide for themselves they dont want to do it. I think for me, I that being a monarchy keeps us wedded to the past and engenders a culture of deference to our ' betters' that leads to inequality and a 'We used to rule the world' mentality that is not good for this country. But that will not change immediately if we had a Republic. I think if I lived in one of the Commonwealth realms, I'd be wondering why my HoS was someone from a different country.They should be allowed to go without having the Royals sent there on some charm offensive persuading them to stay. For me, I think conversations about the monarchy are more a distraction from actual issues, because day to day they are irrelevant to me. I don't admire them, and I don't care if my children don't know who they are. I think that that people in the Public eye need to be allowed to criticise them and say they are Republican without being seen as unpatriotic. I think Monarchists often do the Royals no favours when they treat the Royals like their very own performing monkeys standing outside hospitals waiting for women to give birth, and demanding to see grieving children.The Royals will do what they say to the detriment of their own children because they know long term their privilege is ultimately dependent on doing what these people say. I dont want them preaching about things they know little about and forelock tuggers saying they are so amazing for doing them bare minimum , for example Prince William complaining about population control when he has 3 kids with carbon footprint 100's of times that of most other children in the world and he himself doesn't curb his helicopter use, or The Queen complaining about other people not acting fast enough on the environment when she gets herself exemptions from environmental legislation or Kate pretending to be an early years expert without mentioning the decades of work done before and no mention of underfunding of early years services. I think our National Anthem is an insult, in that it is not ' national' at all, but is about one person not the country or its inhabitants. It should be changed. But do I think about the Royals day to day when I'm not reading Tattle? No.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Neither of them are working royals though. Fair enough, give them security if they're at a royal event but if they want security outside of that they should hire a private firm. (And not the met police!) Why would Andrew need more security than Anne or Edward? Is there really a threat against him?
I'd say the whole Epstein business is even murkier than what we think we know.

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Sadly this is the case, Andrew, Edward and William were all good looking in their younger days.

Hopefully William and Kate's children will escape the Windsor ugly stick as the Middleton genes look strong.
That’s what the Windsor genes do … they lull them into a false sense of security and then in mid-20’s if they’re lucky, earlier of not, they just trample everything else underfoot. Hairline recedes, eyes inch closer together, ears droop downwards … the Windsor Whammy.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

elliebee27

VIP Member
Sophie and Edward had fertility problems, didn't they? They also knew each other for a long time before they married. I like Sophie and Ed - get on with the job with minimal fuss, always look appropriate, people like them, they know what they are doing and aren't bumbling around asking stupid obvious questions or saying dumb stuff.

SmeatonsStar

new video of the Cambridges and their dog leaving Kensington Palace (I think?).
Nice to see them demonstrating their commitment to the environment and sustainability so well….private helicopter journeys really are the way forward for travel…. 🙄

What’s the bet they are heading to Norfolk for the school holidays - a journey of less than 3 hours by car. Flying is a totally unnecessary indulgence.

anonymous1221

She very probably would have done an interview anyway, but the way it was scored was extremely unethical and it very possible might have been conducted differently without the manipulations. The thing is- the content is out there and it will pop up on YT and in segments forever. At this point everything has been said about this chapter. There is nothing new. We had all angles and it’s all out there.
I think it’s only fair if a child doesn’t want to be confronted with this painful moment. William was around. He has a much better idea about how she was she what went on behind close doors than anyone. Diana wasn’t exactly a stable personality and Bashir played on it. I wonder if Wiliam blames him for things that he experienced with her, maybe even the frantic/irresponsible decisions that played a rule in her accident. H hasn’t said anything about it that goes against Williams wish as well. I think people should accept her children’s wishes. Just as they should have accepted that her children shouldn’t be paraded around to accept condolences by masses of hysterical strangers. Diana is dead. Her sons will feel the loss forever. Maybe the public can let them have some peace around this finally. Because no matter what we believe, in the end the only thing that matters is what her children think. And as far as I know they think the blame lies with the press then. Even with the obvious ongoing rift, neither party has deviated from this.

As I said above- there is no way of making it go away anyway. Once on the internet forever on the internet. No matter if professionals refrain from using the footage.
William was allegedly privy to a lot more details than Harry ever was. I’ve read that Diana would cuddle up to him in bed and whisper all her troubles in his ear, or he’d have to pass her tissues under the door if she was in the bathroom crying. If this is true, that would have been hugely damaging for a child who would have been about 10 to early teens at the time. It’s hardly any wonder that he doesn’t want to be reminded of it every time he goes online or reads a newspaper.

• Sad

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Well there are plenty people out there currently on JSA who would benefit from having that job she's doing which she "doesn't have to" do, and being able to feed their families and start a career, which she never has to worry about. But whoop de fucking doo at least Louise gets some shine from experiencing a normal existence.
Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't ... as we said 😉