The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Couldn't she just be planning to step down willingly after the celebrations are over in favour of Charles? Why keep working once she's past this milestone
I don’t believe she will step down. This is her life long duty that she has taken on, she mentioned that being her promise back in 1947 in the statement again. It’s just about paving the way and preparing people’s minds.

I also agree about Diana being granted ‘Saint’ status because she died young and in a shocking way. There is no way of knowing how it would have all played out if she was alive now.

Reactions: 13
To be fair we don't know that Charles and Camilla would have ever got married. That scenario was made far more plausible because Diana died.

Had Diana lived, there would absolutely have been a 'It should have been Diana narrative when Camilla becomes Queen. There still will be, but it would have been far more prevalent.

I doubt Diana and Charles would have lasted anyway. Can you imagine Diana waiting 40+ years for her moment in the spotlight? She was an unsecure attention seeker.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
To be fair we don't know that Charles and Camilla would have ever got married. That scenario was made far more plausible because Diana died.

Had Diana lived, there would absolutely have been a 'It should have been Diana narrative when Camilla becomes Queen. There still will be, but it would have been far more prevalent.

I doubt Diana and Charles would have lasted anyway. Can you imagine Diana waiting 40+ years for her moment in the spotlight? She was an unsecure attention seeker.
She was a mentally ill woman who hopefully would have gotten therapy and the help she needed as mental health became a bigger part of public discourse over the years.
I like to think she’d be much more settled and happy now in her 60s.

Reactions: 19
Couldn't she just be planning to step down willingly after the celebrations are over in favour of Charles? Why keep working once she's past this milestone
She signed her message ‘your servant’. She’s not going anywhere while she’s here.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Camilla was also given the Garter in the New Year honours list. She's definitely being backed by HMQ.

QE is semi-retired anyway. C&C and W&K are doing all the visits, both internally and externally, while she does Zoom and single person engagements that can only be done by the monarch as well as a few events at her own home like yesterday's. She will never step down but she has handed a great deal over to her next two heirs and their opinions are carrying a great deal of weight, as with the recent treatment of Andrew.

On a lighter note, I'm interested in seeing which consort crown gets used! There are four in the English Crown Jewels, Queen Adelaide's which replaced Mary of Modena's which had been used for all previous consorts but which is now only a frame, Queen Alexandra's, Queen Mary's and Queen Elizabeth's. QE's is the lightest being platinum and the most complete with jewels. However, Queen Mary began the custom of the dowager consort attending the coronation of the new monarch and wearing her own crown without the arches at it - as a crowned queen consort there is no other appropriate diadem. Queen Elizabeth did the same with her crown and if Queen Mary had lived another few months she would have done the same at a second coronation. So, there is always the possibility of more than one dowager queen consort plus a current one requiring a crown to wear! I suppose they could take the three extant crowns in rotation... 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Queen Dowager is mother of a reigning king I think :unsure:
The Queen Dowager is literally ‘just’ the widow of the King. The mother of the reigning King is Queen Mother*
I think when The Queen came to the throne, and we had 3 Queens, then Queen Mary stepped from being Queen Mother to Queen Dowager, her mother became the Queen Mother and then herself as The Queen.
(*I don’t think it actually matters if the Queen Mother is actually mother to the King? They are the Queen and the Mother regardless of the gender of the monarch?)

With regards to tiara’s I’d take Queen Mary’s anytime. That lady knew her diamonds (and how to acquire them):cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
The Queen Dowager is literally ‘just’ the widow of the King.
I think when The Queen came to the throne, then Queen Mary stepped from being Queen Mother to Queen Dowager, her mother became the Queen Mother and then herself as The Queen.
(I don’t think it actually matters if the Queen Mother is actually mother to the King? They are the Queen and the Mother regardless of the gender of the monarch?)
The Queen Dowager is simply a widowed Queen Consort. A Queen Mother is the mother of the monarch. I think historically it has also been used for women who weren't actually Queen Consort themselves, ie as the King's Mother. Queen Adelaide would have been the last Queen Dowager who was not also the mother of the new monarch.

Reactions: 2
It feels like they're trying to achieve some form of certainty and regain some stability following the Andrew stuff by announcing this now. Maybe its just me. Good timing though, I've no issue with Camilla shes got on with the task. I do think her and Charlie would have been suited from the start but that's history and my views may have been effected by The Crown 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
It feels like they're trying to achieve some form of certainty and regain some stability following the Andrew stuff by announcing this now. Maybe its just me. Good timing though, I've no issue with Camilla shes got on with the task. I do think her and Charlie would have been suited from the start but that's history and my views may have been effected by The Crown 😂
I think if we discarded any of our previous Monarchs and Consorts for extra-marital shenanigans we wouldn’t be left with an awful lot.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I think if we discarded any of our previous Monarchs and Consorts for extra-marital shenanigans we wouldn’t be left with an awful lot.
Correct. Didn't the Suffolk title die out until given to Harry because that one had no legitimate children.
Nobody cares that the Royals or aristos bed hop, its what they do 😂

The Queen Dowager is literally ‘just’ the widow of the King. The mother of the reigning King is Queen Mother*
I think when The Queen came to the throne, and we had 3 Queens, then Queen Mary stepped from being Queen Mother to Queen Dowager, her mother became the Queen Mother and then herself as The Queen.
(*I don’t think it actually matters if the Queen Mother is actually mother to the King? They are the Queen and the Mother regardless of the gender of the monarch?)

With regards to tiara’s I’d take Queen Mary’s anytime. That lady knew her diamonds (and how to acquire them):cool:
Mary went from being Her Majesty The Queen to Her Majesty Queen Mary

Mary went from being Her Majesty The Queen to Her Majesty Queen Mary
She was also Queen Mother (twice)
Or, to my Gran she was ‘the Owd Queen. George V was ‘The Owd King’)

Correct. Didn't the Suffolk title die out until given to Harry because that one had no legitimate children.
Nobody cares that the Royals or aristos bed hop, its what they do 😂
Quite a large proportion of the aristocracy are there because they are descended from The Wrong Side Of The Blanket or because titles were given for services rendered or looking the other way. I think the current Duke of Richmond can trace his ancestry back to Charles II and one of his favourites. That’s probably far enough back in time not to be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
She was also Queen Mother (twice)
Or, to my Gran she was ‘the Owd Queen. George V was ‘The Owd King’)

Quite a large proportion of the aristocracy are there because they are descended from The Wrong Side Of The Blanket or because titles were given for services rendered or looking the other way. I think the current Duke of Richmond can trace his ancestry back to Charles II and one of his favourites. That’s probably far enough back in time not to be a problem.
Wasn't Camilla from that sort of lineage?

Reactions: 1
Wasn't Camilla from that sort of lineage?
Hers is a bit more recent - Edward VII and her great-great(?) granny Alice Keppel we’re ‘close’ but the kids were all to her her hubby’s or officially all his at any rate? (Wasn’t Alice’s husband descended from Charles II as well?)

Reactions: 4
The opposite of queen consort is queen regnant. Stephen and Matilda and William and Mary were all regnant as they all had a valid claim to the throne. I am happy to accept Queen Camilla. I think if I met her I would get on better with her than I would have done with Diana who I suspect would have been hard work. Charles and Camilla will become much more the public face of the monarchy especially abroad.

Reactions: 8
Camilla has more than earned her stripes. She must really love Charles to put up the abuse she has had to endure all these years. Meghan moans about being vilified, she has no idea.

Reactions: 25
Camilla has more than earned her stripes. She must really love Charles to put up the abuse she has had to endure all these years. Meghan moans about being vilified, she has no idea.
Camilla got it from the papers. Meghan gets it far more regularly from the papers and social media. Piers Morgan is back to writing about Harry every single day for The Sun now

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.