The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Queen has flown by helicopter to Sandringham. That's where the King died.

If she dies before will we still get a day off?!
Nah if she died tonight they'd probably announce it tomorrow morning and you'd already be at work. But we'd definitely get the day off at some point.

Reactions: 1
Sorry l meant the extra bank holiday - maybe they could get the coronation in that quick. George's coronation was meant to be Edwards.

i find the whole period before Victoria absolutely fascinating. It makes this lot look positively boring 😃
’Mad’ King, profligate Regent, non-legal legal marriages, the whole Queen Caroline issues, money woes, exasperated Parliament, more ‘lower class’ mistresses and illegitimate children than you could shake a stick at, topped off with the whole belated race for a legal heir (all done while wearing fabulous fashion).
I find it fascinating as well....the whole family tree...does anyone recommend any good books on the subject?

Reactions: 3
The Queen has flown by helicopter to Sandringham. That's where the King died.

If she dies before will we still get a day off?!
She's gone there because it's the 70th Anniversary of her fathers death. She's also staying in Prince Philip's lodge.

She must be feeling quite nostalgic and quite lonely with all the problems her family are causing.

Reactions: 18
Sorry l meant the extra bank holiday - maybe they could get the coronation in that quick. George's coronation was meant to be Edwards.
they usually leave it over a while before the coronation … George VI may have stepped into Edward’s Coronation date, but it was still was still about 6 months’ after The Old King died. Elizabeth had 16 months before hers. I imagine they would want to avoid a coronation in what was jubilee year?

I find it fascinating as well....the whole family tree...does anyone recommend any good books on the subject?
I enjoyed this one

Amazon product

Reactions: 2
She's gone there because it's the 70th Anniversary of her fathers death. She's also staying in Prince Philip's lodge.

She must be feeling quite nostalgic and quite lonely with all the problems her family are causing.
That's sad, she also keeps her Christmas decorations up until his anniversary.

Reactions: 6
I dont find this very odd at all
I agree. She is not a robot, she’s flesh and blood just like the rest of us. She has lost her husband of 70+ years.

I never really thought about it until today but the day that is celebrated when she became Queen was the day she lost her father.
It must be bittersweet for her. I assume that is why we celebrate her Coronation rather than her accession?

Her father died at Sandringham so I can see why she has chosen to be there for the anniversary.

Reactions: 13
Odd to think one of the most famous women in the world is lonely.
My 90+ year old aunt says that’s what happens when you lose the people who knew you when you were young and ‘you’ - regardless of how many people you have around you.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Not if they do it on a Saturday like they did for Philip
I don’t think they would, bit like Harrys wedding was a Saturday but Williams was a Friday so we got the bank holiday because Williams was more important than Harrys.

Reactions: 5
i find the whole period before Victoria absolutely fascinating. It makes this lot look positively boring 😃
’Mad’ King, profligate Regent, non-legal legal marriages, the whole Queen Caroline issues, money woes, exasperated Parliament, more ‘lower class’ mistresses and illegitimate children than you could shake a stick at, topped off with the whole belated race for a legal heir (all done while wearing fabulous fashion).
I love the story of the gossip that went round about William IV & III when he was Duke of Clarence and living with the actress Dorothea Jordan. They had ten children together, the FitzClarences who all married into the gentry and aristocracy, but as the Duke was perpetually skint and Mrs Jordan never stopped working, people said that it wasn't a question of her being a kept woman as his mistress but that she was keeping him!

Queen Adelaide was apparently very kind to the children, particularly as she had lost two children in infancy and had three stillborn.

I love the story of the gossip that went round about William IV & III when he was Duke of Clarence and living with the actress Dorothea Jordan. They had ten children together, the FitzClarences who all married into the gentry and aristocracy, but as the Duke was perpetually skint and Mrs Jordan never stopped working, people said that it wasn't a question of her being a kept woman as his mistress but that she was keeping him!

Queen Adelaide was apparently very kind to the children, particularly as she had lost two children in infancy and had three stillborn.
I remember seeing a picture of Queen Charlotte (wife of George III) and thinking from the picture she did look like Princess Anne.
or vice versa 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 2
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.