The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That is factually incorrect
I don’t disagree, but that has nothing to do with the UKs constitutional set up. That is the reality EVERYWHERE. We try to build societies where IN THEORY everyone has the same chances. But in reality that’s just not true. In theory every UK citizen (do you have to have a certain age or have a party affiliation?) can become PM. In reality this career path is not open to everyone.
I get the argument to say, that if you look just on paper, an unelected HoS should be made into an elected role. There are many good theoretical arguments for it. In reality though it doesn’t make much of a difference for the society. In the end, what we might deem an equal, successful society depends much more on other things than such principles.
I can appreciate that for other the theoretical background is important to tackle first. In my POV that’s not always the case. The UK could solve many of its problems and issues under a monarch just fine. It’s a bit of a hen/egg problem and depending what side you sit on, you definitely dismiss the need for such a change or you think it’s absolutely necessary and a first step.

Reactions: 3
I don’t disagree, but that has nothing to do with the UKs constitutional set up. That is the reality EVERYWHERE. We try to build societies where IN THEORY everyone has the same chances. But in reality that’s just not true. In theory every UK citizen (do you have to have a certain age or have a party affiliation?) can become PM. In reality this career path is not open to everyone.
I get the argument to say, that if you look just on paper, an unelected HoS should be made into an elected role. There are many good theoretical arguments for it. In reality though it doesn’t make much of a difference for the society. In the end, what we might deem an equal, successful society depends much more on other things than such principles.
I can appreciate that for other the theoretical background is important to tackle first. In my POV that’s not always the case. The UK could solve many of its problems and issues under a monarch just fine. It’s a bit of a hen/egg problem and depending what side you sit on, you definitely dismiss the need for such a change or you think it’s absolutely necessary and a first step.
There’s no minimum age, you just have to be old enough to be an MP and stand for leader, so 18. You have to be chosen by the party to stand for MP in an area, win that vote to become an MP, then when a leadership battle comes up put yourself forward. Other MPs vote and I believe each party has their own method of dwindling down the number of leadership nominees. Then it goes to the party members which are just normal people that have paid to be a member of that party, usually isn’t very expensive to join.

In theory it should stop things like a celebrity Donald Trump president happening because there’s several stages to get through, and you have to be an existing MP to start. Whatever people think of Boris and the comparisons of him against Trump, he didn’t just turn up in politics, it was years of being in the game to get the top job. But I don’t think anyone could just slog it out for years and become PM, 76% of prime ministers attended Oxbridge and 60% attended public school. It’s not impossible to make it, John Major didn’t have a degree and barely passed his OLevels, but I don’t think it’s as simple as saying anyone can be head of state under a republic.

Reactions: 9
He was always known as Randy Andy, chickens coming home to roost. His pathetic attempts to worm out of it have failed, in another era he'd probably top himself. Instead he'll be scrounging from Mummy to pay the inevitable out of court settlement. Bet he's sweating now!

Reactions: 11
Prince Andrew will face civil trial over claims he had sex with Virginia Giuffre

Good.
It probably works out better for him having a trial. If he'd of got out of it due to a pay off deal by a pedalo the optics would have been terrible.

Reactions: 7
He’ll pay her off. He’s tried every trick in the book to avoid this trial, which makes me think he really wants it to go away.

and so I have to come to the conclusion that he’s definitely got a lot of skeletons in his closet.

Reactions: 14
Apparently Mummy isn't going to bail him out this time so he's frantically trying to sell his ski chalet amongst other stuff. Charles must have persuaded her that paying for Andrew would look far worse for the monarchy and her legacy. He's definitely going to be hidden away during the jubilee celebrations, if he's not in court, that is. Actually, is he still likely to be arrested if he steps foot in the USA? I'm also wondering if he and Fergie will quietly tie the knot again now Philip's dead so that she keeps her mouth shut and can't be forced to testify against him.

Reactions: 15
Apparently Mummy isn't going to bail him out this time so he's frantically trying to sell his ski chalet amongst other stuff. Charles must have persuaded her that paying for Andrew would look far worse for the monarchy and her legacy. He's definitely going to be hidden away during the jubilee celebrations, if he's not in court, that is. Actually, is he still likely to be arrested if he steps foot in the USA? I'm also wondering if he and Fergie will quietly tie the knot again now Philip's dead so that she keeps her mouth shut and can't be forced to testify against him.
The other day I read that Charles and William are fuming about his mounting legal bills.

Reactions: 1
The thing is, he has a chance of walking away just fine. He needs to be proven guilty and I can see Virginia and her team having a hard time to do so. Not that I think he is innocent, but that’s sadly not really the point. The question is- can they prove what they accuse him of without doubt. My gut tells me no. It doesn’t matter what the public‘s or the judge‘s gut tells them. It’s the factual evidence.
I don’t think he will pay up- only if there is a bigger chance to be found guilty than not. And I don’t see that this point.
Thankfully, the whole thing very probably will spare us his face for the rest of his life. No matter the outcome, he is tarnished beyond everything because even if they can’t prove him guilty he has, by himself for a big part, made it impossible for anyone to think he actually is.

Reactions: 21
Civil court is on the balance of probability target than beyond reasonable doubt. There is certainly a higher chance of conviction.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The thing is, he has a chance of walking away just fine. He needs to be proven guilty and I can see Virginia and her team having a hard time to do so. Not that I think he is innocent, but that’s sadly not really the point. The question is- can they prove what they accuse him of without doubt. My gut tells me no. It doesn’t matter what the public‘s or the judge‘s gut tells them. It’s the factual evidence.
I don’t think he will pay up- only if there is a bigger chance to be found guilty than not. And I don’t see that this point.
Thankfully, the whole thing very probably will spare us his face for the rest of his life. No matter the outcome, he is tarnished beyond everything because even if they can’t prove him guilty he has, by himself for a big part, made it impossible for anyone to think he actually is.
Doing that interview was the worst decision he ever made - the pompous fool thought we’d all fall for his lies 🤣

You’re right though - cases like this are indeed, hard to prove. Especially after so much time. It depends how many witness statements there are, I’d guess.

Civil court is on the balance of probability target than beyond reasonable doubt. There is certainly a higher chance of conviction.
Ah, thank you. This is a very good point that I didn’t think of.

Reactions: 9
Definitely. I reckon TQ has loaned him the money to pay off the chalet with a view to him selling it to pay off VG.

She cannot be seen to be involved in any pay off.

PA won't get anything at all from Charles and William.

Reactions: 7
Definitely. I reckon TQ has loaned him the money to pay off the chalet with a view to him selling it to pay off VG.

She cannot be seen to be involved in any pay off.

PA won't get anything at all from Charles and William.
The chalet wasn't 'paid off' until he recently sold it and gave the money to the former owner - it still may not even be in her account yet, as it's only just happened. I suspect the trip Fergie and the girls just took was to have a final holiday there and collect some of their stuff too.

Reactions: 3
The chalet wasn't 'paid off' until he recently sold it and gave the money to the former owner - it still may not even be in her account yet, as it's only just happened. I suspect the trip Fergie and the girls just took was to have a final holiday there and collect some of their stuff too.

I thought he'd 'found' found over 6 million from somewhere to pay off a debt which allowed him to sell it.

Reactions: 1
I thought he'd 'found' found over 6 million from somewhere to pay off a debt which allowed him to sell it.
Even if not- he most definitely could “find” some millions if he really wanted to. Their private wealth might be mostly tied up in investments and property/stuff but I am pretty sure they are all able to liquidise some millions if they have to.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.