The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The US is a very different country to the UK where a concerning number of people have guns.

Quite. The Palace of Versailles generates loads of revenue.
So do the stunning Russian ones, went to a couple and they were out of this world!!

Reactions: 6
Just been looking through the "Tiarapedia" on The Court Jeweller. Some really fabulous pieces, but we always seem to see the same ones. I would love to see this one brought back. Turquoise is underrated and it definitely suited Margaret's offbeat character. If it is still in the family following the auction of Margaret's jewels, it would look great with that black velvet McQueen dress that Kate wore a few years ago.

That's fabulous. I like that a lot.

Reactions: 3
Tourism-wise, a better comparison than France would probably be Germany. Very similar weather to the UK, tourism mainly focused on the big cities, with no major beach resorts that appeal to anyone other than their own countryfolk. I don't know how these tourist numbers are generated and I am never sure how accurate the figures are, but the top 4 countries for tourism in Europe (overwhelmingly), are France, Spain, Italy and Turkey. I'm sure we can all guess why and it isn't for their palaces. Monarchy or not, having a Mediterranean/Aegean coastline is a massive draw compared to a North Sea/Baltic one.
Indeed, should also be pointed out Spain is second and also has a constitutional monarchy like ours

Reactions: 5
France also has Disneyland Paris which is Europe’s most visited tourist destination almost every year (probably not 2020 as they were closed a lot of the time). It does contribute massively to tourism figures in the Ile de France.

Reactions: 9
I don’t think anybody who receives money from the state looks good in a tiara when there are people working full time but going to food banks to feed their children.
Have you been to the Vatican? That really does make you feel uncomfortable

I've been to the Winter Palace (aka the Hermitage Museum) and the Catherine Palace in St Petersburg, years ago on a school trip (so long ago it was still called Leningrad!). Amazing places.

Reactions: 7
Yep, I reckon the Catholic Church has a lot more to answer for than the British RF. After all, kings and queens are pretty much meant to do what they want, whereas Catholicism cloaks it all (money building, child abuse, female abuse etc etc) under the claim that it is all "God's will".

Yep the Vatican is absolutely gross. The opulence just screams at you from every corner. Not a great look for a group that preaches so much about helping the less fortunate. At least the BRF think they are superior beings and this justified in not living among us 🤣

Reactions: 7
Whilst I agree with both points made above regarding guns, I think all can agree that comparing the security required for the US president vs the RF is like comparing apples to oranges.

One has a huge amount of political, diplomatic and military power and is arguably called the most important person in the World. The other is a famous family of figureheads who have no actual power, as we are so regularly reminded. Their security costs are not and should not be the same.

The Queen or any royal's assassination or injury would be a highly unfortunate and regrettable incident, as it would if anyone were unjustly killed or attacked. The assassination of the POTUS, on the other hand, would throw the entire world and our international relations into a state of chaos, even if for a short period.
While I agree, I don’t think any assassination should be worse. There is a vice-president that immediately could take over. It’s not as if a country has to panic and fall into complete chaos apart from mass hysteria. The political set up is quite prepared for this, no matter if a country has a head of state with actual or more symbolic power.
You could even argue the US is better prepared, because if someone wiped out all the well known names, you have to start digging deep to find the next in line. I am sure it’s well archived but still. Find the person and get them ready would be a much harder job in the UK.

Every Head of State costs a tit ton of money and you can ask in every case (no matter if elected directly, indirectly or inherited, with actual political power or not) if they are actually worth it. I think in almost every case the answer is no. There are much better causes for this amount of money. But changing the system to whatever is not going to free up money for the poor, education, health care, fair wages, culture or whatever. Whoever believes that’s the solution for problems of under financing those areas is dangerously naive.

Reactions: 6
Yep the Vatican is absolutely gross. The opulence just screams at you from every corner. Not a great look for a group that preaches so much about helping the less fortunate. At least the BRF think they are superior beings and this justified in not living among us 🤣
Hence the Reformation in the 16th century by Protestants who believed Christianity should be based more on the Bible and faith and less on high ceremony and grand altars and buildings and Masses and the Sacraments. Although having said that Pope Francis is relatively austere compared to most of his predecessors and focused more on tackling poverty

I've been to the Winter Palace (aka the Hermitage Museum) and the Catherine Palace in St Petersburg, years ago on a school trip (so long ago it was still called Leningrad!). Amazing places.
So did I! Where did you go to school?

Reactions: 1
But the Palaces and Castles are still there as tourist attractions whatever - Edinburgh Castle is heaving but the chances of stumbling across a Royal there are nil.

(Not that I think another bash at a Commonwealth is the way forward … and even when we tried it the first time primogeniture seemed to be wanted, so it was pretty much of a muchness. One head of state is pretty much the same as another expense-wise. The buildings and contents are historic and need to be preserved anyway, just that if people want to come and lay claim to being the next Royal Bride have a picture outside Buch House, they will whoever lives in it).
I dont think people are coming to see royalty, I think they understand that they're working and not on display all the time. I believe people come to the castles and palaces for the history, and to basically pretend that they are royal themselves. Or at least that is what I have heard and seen.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Another bash at the commonwealth? The commonwealth hasn't failed, it hasn't gone anywhere?

The US is a very different country to the UK where a concerning number of people have guns.

Quite. The Palace of Versailles generates loads of revenue.
What have our gun laws got anything to do with the efficacy or finances of the BRF? Seems like we've got ourselves a troll here lads. When one bring up the phrase 'strawman argument', on a site that isn't Twitter or Reddit.... one is rather suspicious of their intentions.

Yep, I reckon the Catholic Church has a lot more to answer for than the British RF. After all, kings and queens are pretty much meant to do what they want, whereas Catholicism cloaks it all (money building, child abuse, female abuse etc etc) under the claim that it is all "God's will".
I completely agree. To my knowledge, the BRF have to actually be transparent in a lot of their ongoings. The Vatican on the other hand... oh I'm sure there is a reason why we have the Queen as a figurehead, rather than someone who actually runs the country... something to do with democracy and fairness I think. /s

Last edited:
I dont think people are coming to see royalty, I think they understand that they're working and not on display all the time. I believe people come to the castles and palaces for the history, and to basically pretend that they are royal themselves. Or at least that is what I have heard and seen.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Another bash at the commonwealth? The commonwealth hasn't failed, it hasn't gone anywhere?
The Commonwealth from 1649-60 after the whole Civil War, beheading of King little local difficulty.

(The ’other’ Commonwealth is The Commonwealth of Nations).

Hence the Reformation in the 16th century by Protestants who believed Christianity should be based more on the Bible and faith and less on high ceremony and grand altars and buildings and Masses and the Sacraments. Although having said that Pope Francis is relatively austere compared to most of his predecessors and focused more on tackling poverty
I hear you but I was more making a joke than trying to go for a serious convo about church reform.

I grew up basically in the shadow of the Vatican and I’ve seen plenty a priest recoil in horror as a homeless person asked for help, just as a small example. Not to mention the amount of archbishops shouting from the rooftops about the evil of promiscuity all the while getting their mistresses back-alley abortions ( and fancy apartments paid for by the church). I could go on for a while on the things I’ve seen the church do but I’ll stop or I’ll derail the thread 🤣

• Wow
The Commonwealth from 1649-60 after the whole Civil War, beheading of King little local difficulty.

(The ’other’ Commonwealth is The Commonwealth of Nations).
Well, must admit, if someone is mentioning the commonwealth, I think most of us jump to The Commonwealth. Not the one that was about for 11 years 400 years ago. Fairly easy assumption!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I knew what @Boring Monday meant 😅 In part because I'm in a Commonwealth of Nations country, so by deduction figured the failed one in question was Cromwell's Commonwealth.

A fun fact: Australia is officially called the Commonwealth of Australia. The etymology of the word, and it's changing use, is pretty interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
In Bristol - it was an exchange trip with a music school in St Petersburg, we did joint concerts with them when we were over there and when they came over here.
Ah OK. I just wondered because when I tell people I went on a school trip to Russia in the 1980s they usually look at me as though I’d said we went on a school trip to Mars.
Absolutely agree about the Hermitage and the Catherine Palace - both so beautiful and full of the most amazing things, although in hindsight I wish I’d paid more attention!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.