The Radford Family #27 The Radfords try and talk the talk but we know it’s not the dogs they walk

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she quit that late, she could have just got a pass degree (non honours) she must’ve left earlier
I have no idea what that is. Is it a thing for every course? How much of the course do you have to have completed to get one? I'm sure I read she was in her 3rd year when she quit.

I've never heard of it before, but I can't imagine something which screams quit or failed is something many would want on their CV anyway.

Reactions: 7
I have no idea what that is. Is it a thing for every course? How much of the course do you have to have completed to get one? I'm sure I read she was in her 3rd year when she quit.

I've never heard of it before, but I can't imagine something which screams quit or failed is something many would want on their CV anyway.
I suppose it depends on the course and what the final grade is based on. Mine was academic with finals and dissertation - if we didn't do both, we got nothing. If you're doing mostly course work in a more practical degree, do they just use the work done so far?

I suppose it depends on the course and what the final grade is based on. Mine was academic with finals and dissertation - if we didn't do both, we got nothing. If you're doing mostly course work in a more practical degree, do they just use the work done so far?
My degree didn't involve any exams, it was all assignment and practical work experience based. I'm fairly sure that anyone who didn't complete the full 4 year course wasn't given any sort of degree at the end simply for completing most of the course though. In fact, a failed practical placement was an automatic fail for that year. Probably degree dependant.

I imagine a childcare course is largely practical and coursework based. Quite frankly, anyone failing the practical element shouldn't be awarded any degree with the words childcare in the title, honours or not. It's pretty much the bread and butter of the course!*

*I'm not suggesting Chloe failed this part btw, just explaining why I don't agree with the concept for certain degrees (if it is indeed a thing on such courses).

Reactions: 6
My degree didn't involve any exams, it was all assignment and practical work experience based. I'm fairly sure that anyone who didn't complete the full 4 year course wasn't given any sort of degree at the end simply for completing most of the course though. In fact, a failed practical placement was an automatic fail for that year. Probably degree dependant.

I imagine a childcare course is largely practical and coursework based. Quite frankly, anyone failing the practical element shouldn't be awarded any degree with the words childcare in the title, honours or not. It's pretty much the bread and butter of the course!*

*I'm not suggesting Chloe failed this part btw, just explaining why I don't agree with the concept for certain degrees (if it is indeed a thing on such courses).
So sorry to quote you again! Unfortunately I know a bit about this degree/half degree thing as my brother is a degree hopper and yours truly helped him with the researching!
For some courses(my brothers included) (it was a computery one), you could do two things in the one degree; a two/three year or a four year. Four year was a level 8, full bachelors, full whack. Two/three (it was a few years ago, I think you could add work experience on it making it three years) but it was a diploma and you didn’t get a formal fancy graduation. It’s still something, and helpful if you couldn’t afford to stay in college/just wanted to get into practical work and gain experience on the job. Nothing compared to education of course, but I know plenty of people who have educated themselves through their jobs and hold high management positions on par with highly formally educated people as a result of experience.
So, basically, Chloe could have gotten her diploma (if it’s called that in England)/cert instead of finishing off her formal degree is what I’m saying, if her course allowed that!

Reactions: 4
To get into university she would have had to have had A levels or a vocational type level 3 equivalent. It may be that she reached the next level in Early Years (I think that’s what she was studying) ie a level 4 or credits towards a foundation degree.
But in any event she’s not working in that industry at all and lots of make up and beauty courses are often run by private trainers or beauty suppliers and tend to be certified as having attended a course in order to qualify for PL insurance. It may be that she’ll go back into education if she decides to pick it up after her baby’s born and may choose to go down the primary teaching route.

Reactions: 4
I did the equivalent of 3 GCSEs in a Health & Social Care course, they tried to encourage us to do a foundation degree at university. But I knew that I could do better than that. So if that’s what Chloe tried to do… if you can’t handle a foundation degree then you’re probably not meant for university.

So was Chloe the only one to go to uni. None of the other radfords seem to have done much after school / college. I don’t know if all of them went to college or not. Considering they are quite a few left school and most of them now work at the bakery with Noel.

Reactions: 8
To get into university she would have had to have had A levels or a vocational type level 3 equivalent. It may be that she reached the next level in Early Years (I think that’s what she was studying) ie a level 4 or credits towards a foundation degree.
But in any event she’s not working in that industry at all and lots of make up and beauty courses are often run by private trainers or beauty suppliers and tend to be certified as having attended a course in order to qualify for PL insurance. It may be that she’ll go back into education if she decides to pick it up after her baby’s born and may choose to go down the primary teaching route.
FFS I hope she doesn’t!

• Haha
Reactions: 3

I'm not sure there is such thing as a childcare degree.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
If you drop out of uni, you usually get to keep the credits you have earned and you can sometimes transfer them to a different uni.

Uni might award a foundation degree if she's got enough credits.

In the US we call it Early Childhood (if one plans to work at a preK or day care/nursery)
Not what the UK’s official degree term is called tho.
Early years or early childhood studies. You can train to be a an early years teacher too but it isn't well regarded.

Childcare is a level 2 or 3 subject usually.

Reactions: 5
Just re: dropping out in final year, it’s quite common now I think! I finished uni a few years ago, but by final year, it was like a cull. People just couldn’t do more or they’d realised they had absolutely no interest in the course, and these were ones achieving top grades. I’d say in Chloe’s case it was the lack of interest (who could blame her, surrounded by it 24/7. It gets to a point sometimes where you can’t even be bothered looking at any course material!
I left my HR degree 3 weeks into my final year! It was just not what I wanted to do anymore - that was in my early 20s, I've since completed a nursing degree x

Personally I don't see that Sue and Noel look alike. They have different eyes (Sue at least looks kind of alive, Noel looks like a white walker from Game of Thrones), different noses.

All the kids are either carbon copies or their mum or their dad though. The Radford look is... unmistakable shall we say.
Rat features

If you drop out of uni, you usually get to keep the credits you have earned and you can sometimes transfer them to a different uni.

Uni might award a foundation degree if she's got enough credits.

Early years or early childhood studies. You can train to be a an early years teacher too but it isn't well regarded.

Childcare is a level 2 or 3 subject usually.
It seems you've answered your own question, there are plenty of child care related degrees out there. What makes you think Early Years teachers aren't well regarded?

Reactions: 8
It seems you've answered your own question, there are plenty of child care related degrees out there. What makes you think Early Years teachers aren't well regarded?
I was thinking the same! Of course Early Years teachers are well regarded!! Especially for children like the Radford's who get very little parental input at home!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm not sure there is such thing as a childcare degree.
I did a degree in early childhood studies, so they definitely exist. It’s not fully childcare but you can go straight into childcare with the degree, it allows you to go into more options such as teaching too

With my course, it was BA (Hons) Early Childhood studies, if someone dropped out after first year they would get the equivalent of a level 4. If they dropped out after second year it would be level 5 equivalent (I don’t know the name of it officially) and if They drop out during third year they would just be awarded the level 5 qualification.

Most childcare places only require level 3 anyway, so Chloe if she dropped out in third year is technically qualified to do the job. She should have been awarded at least a level 4 qualification at the end of it

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.