“The other women”

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah, I mean, I don’t want an open marriage. Neither does my wife. We’re quite happy with monogamy.

my point really is that I don’t see why someone straying is considered SO heinous. It’s not good, but people make mistakes. It’s not ideal but it’s not crime of the century either.

I think some of the theatrics from grown adults about it are over the top.
It pulls the rug from under people and can have far reaching consequences, emotional & financial. Its really not just being 'over the top'. You can end up questioning yourself and wondering why you didnt see the signs, or turn it inwards and think its your fault (i wish we didnt!) And then you risk carrying it into other relationships and not trusting people/letting your guard down.

Id imagine your more open minded approach wouldnt be as common, but fair enough for you that you dont have those concerns.

Unpopular opinion: I don't judge the other woman/man/person in any of the situations in this thread.

I've never been the other woman and never will be - I want to be the ONLY woman and value myself too highly to settle for less. But when it comes to cheating, I think it's solely the person in the relationship who is doing the cheating who is responsible for hurting their partner and destroying their trust.

Even if another woman knows that my husband is married and pursues him relentlessly, it's my husband's fault if he chooses to have an affair. He is not a helpless victim at the mercy of an evil succubus.
It is the partners fault, of course. Its morally where the women knowingly get involved duck up. Its just a crappy thing to do innit.

Reactions: 7
I was the other woman a long time ago but I didn’t know.

I’d met what I thought was a nice guy at a bar and we went on a few dates and I really thought he was something special. But one evening he came over to mine and I saw a few messages from a girl flashing up on his phone which actually didn’t raise a flag at all until he quickly took his phone out of my view and got rid of the notifications 😂

Long story short, I looked her up and saw on her Facebook status that she was in a relationship (he didn’t have it or use it he said!). So I messaged her girl to girl to tell her that I’d been seeing him for a few weeks and my word I wish I’d never bothered 😂 she sent me a ton of abuse, so did her friends and they dragged me online calling me all sorts and she stayed with him. More fool her in my eyes!

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I was the other woman a long time ago but I didn’t know.

I’d met what I thought was a nice guy at a bar and we went on a few dates and I really thought he was something special. But one evening he came over to mine and I saw a few messages from a girl flashing up on his phone which actually didn’t raise a flag at all until he quickly took his phone out of my view and got rid of the notifications 😂

Long story short, I looked her up and saw on her Facebook status that she was in a relationship (he didn’t have it or use it he said!). So I messaged her girl to girl to tell her that I’d been seeing him for a few weeks and my word I wish I’d never bothered 😂 she sent me a ton of abuse, so did her friends and they dragged me online calling me all sorts and she stayed with him. More fool her in my eyes!
Easier to blame the woman than face up to a bad relationship 😬 more fool her!

Reactions: 10
It pulls the rug from under people and can have far reaching consequences, emotional & financial. Its really not just being 'over the top'. You can end up questioning yourself and wondering why you didnt see the signs, or turn it inwards and think its your fault (i wish we didnt!) And then you risk carrying it into other relationships and not trusting people/letting your guard down.

Id imagine your more open minded approach wouldnt be as common, but fair enough for you that you dont have those concerns.
That's it exactly, it pulls the rug from under people! Most of us have stories about being cheated on. Some people can get over it quickly, or maybe the relationship wasn't very serious, but for most of us, it's a major life event that stays with you. I went through a year of knowing that something wasn't quite right but didn't know what it was. I had to move out and start over with feck all in my bank account, living off credit cards and overdrafts for a couple of years while he kept the house on and had the new woman round the day after I moved out.

I don't think my ex is scum or vile, don't really have any feelings towards him at all now but...that kind of tit stays with you. For years. You never think it will happen to you until it does. It destroys your self-confidence and makes it very difficult to build relationships with anyone new.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m baffled that there’s anything difficult to understand about how upsetting it is when someone you trust implicitly breaks your trust 🤨 also there’s obviously different degrees of cheating, if my fiancé kissed someone drunkenly at a party I wouldn’t be booting him out but if you consider how many opportunities there are to stop and think ‘hey, maybe I won’t completely destroy my partner’s trust in me’ when it comes to meeting someone, planning the details of an affair/where you’re going to meet etc etc, actually going there and going through it…damn straight I’d be out with the ‘theatrics’ and it has happened to me before.
The person who is in the relationship obviously is at ‘fault’ if you’re looking for someone to ‘blame’ but I’m not sure what can go through someone’s head when there’s children involved tbh. Sure, they’re going to cheat with anyone and it’s not about you…why do you still want that to be you, though? I don’t think it makes you ‘trash’ but I really can’t understand putting sex over knowing you’re going to break up someone’s relationship or family. Like there’s plenty of single men out there. I’ve always found it a bit desperate if I’m honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I am pretty certain that I was. I had a brief relationship with a man of 24 when I was 15 back in 1987. He never gave me his home number, he said that his mum wouldn't like it, yeah right. He always used to ring me from a phone box and we never went on a proper date. I was a very naive 15 year old who never had any male attention before this so was willing to accept anything. Looking back I want to tell my 15 year old self to give her head a good wobble and stay away from this creep.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Not knowingly

I was involved with someone for 9 months, before I found out he had a long term partner

• Sad
I’ve never technically been the other woman but I’ve been mistaken for the other woman. I dated a guy for almost 6 years and discovered he’d met a girl online and proposed to her after knowing her a few months. It didn’t sit right to let this other girl be in the dark about who she was agreeing to marry and I actually felt really sorry for her. So I tried to call her and got a message basically saying “you’ve tried to get in touch with my fiancé, leave us both alone” and she clearly didn’t know up until that day I’d been pretty much living with the guy. At first I was angry and kind of in a “sod her” mood but eventually I just felt like it would be wrong of me to not at least try to let her know what she’d gotten into. I sent her a message explaining the situation and she replied kindly but still went on to marry the dude. His family turned their back on me like I was the crazy one. As daft as it sounds I truly felt for years like I was this other woman that was the “enemy” like I’d intruded on the engagement or something. I’ll never blame the girl he married, as far as I’m concerned she was innocent, a child (just 18) and I think he got kicks out of preying on and controlling women.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Sort of, yes - though there was no physical cheating.

When I met my husband we were both in long term relationships with other people, pretty serious ones too (owned houses, etc). We worked together closely and became friends. Maybe a bit of flirting here and there but nothing outrageous - I would probably flirt with a lot of male colleagues in a similar way back then (still would now if I could go to the office 😂)

After about 2 years, we both realised we had feelings for each other but discussed it and said we would just stop talking socially at work to nip it in the bud as we didn’t want to end our relationships.

That lasted a few weeks before he told me he had left her because he felt it wasn’t right given how he felt about me, and that he felt I was ‘the one’ I was quite torn but also ended up leaving my partner of 6 years as I knew I felt something strongly too.

So maybe I would be classed as the other woman? I know his girlfriend found out we were together not long after and it crushed her, but there was no physical cheating. She still talked a lot of tit about me behind my back (told everyone he cheated on her so she left him, which isn’t true) and begged him to come back to her like I had just tempted him away, when at the end of the day it’s as much his fault as mine. I wasn’t her friend or anything (I didn’t know her at all, we had never spoken, I had only seen her in passing at work events but she knew some of our colleagues.)

It’s hard because I don’t know what else we could have done in the situation really. I never wanted to hurt her or my ex. We were honest about why we left and the other option was to always wonder what could have been. We are now happily married so I suppose at least it was for something and not just a throwaway thing. It was worth all the drama in the end.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I haven't been. I have been cheated on though, my ex got with our mutual friend that I lived with. They're married now. It was mostly him being weak and not wanting to end the relationship with me, but no excuse. It took me a long time to get over it. I don't have any anger toward them now, but I don't want anything to do with either of them.

My dad cheated on my mum for a long time, and honestly my mum just blossomed once they broke up and has been much happier. So I think that helped me to see getting rid of someone who can treat you like that is a positive. I'm with someone else now and thank my lucky stars that I'm in a better relationship, and it must be weird for them to be married and know their relationship started the way that it did.

It's a terrible thing to do but I don't think it makes someone a terrible person. People make mistakes and can get themselves into a mess for all sorts of reasons. It's frustrating how common it still is that it can be treated as more acceptable when a man does it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I haven't but a former friend of mine (knowingly) was 'the other woman'. She was in a serious relationship and the guy was in a long term relationship with a woman he had left his wife and 5 children for!
She left her partner, only to discover that he wouldn't leave his. Her partner took her back after 6 months. They have three kids together now and I'm absolutely convinced that there's no way in hell the middle one is his.

• Wow
Have you ever been the other woman? Traditionally she is the “evil one”, but not all stories are as black and white as that.
Whats your experience if you have?
ive had the other woman , and let me tell u, she was evil...

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I find this thread very interesting so I am going to contribute to it. (For what it's worth 🤷‍♀️)
I think a lot of it comes down to attitude and circumstances and as I was to discover boundaries.
I have been with my husband now for 21 years when we first started dating he was in a relationship (that he was trying to end) but he didn't tell me that at the time.
We started seeing each other and I found out about her when she came to his workplace found some of my clothes in a work bag of his and ripped them to pieces and basically had to be physically restrained otherwise she would have attacked me.
He explained that he had tried to end it with her many times but she kept on coming back.
She lived in France and he lived in England and she kept on catching the euro star and coming back into London
He explained that when she stayed in England they no longer slept together and actually I believed him because when we first got together he had erectile dysfunction (and also with her in the end of their relationship) because he felt a bit hurt himself as if he was being forced to be in a relationship he didn't want to be in. Also she had been trying to get pregnant even though he didn't want a baby!
Again I found evidence of this later on when I found a pregnancy test under the bed that thank god was labelled negative!
So it might be an unpopular opinion but sometimes when a man gives you the line I am stuck in a unhappy relationship and I want to leave sometimes he is telling the truth! (Although as I saw later it's more complicated than that!) Why do any of us get trapped unless we are not aware of what it is we really need?
However it does happen sometimes that people get involved with someone who turns out to be a narcissist and they end up in a kind of hostage situation! (This applies to both men and women and actually in this situation it was just a case of top trumps because in many ways she found his disinterest a challenge even interesting but who then who stays in a relationship with a person who in some horrible way gets a kick out of being rejected unless they themselves like to be with someone with very low self esteem?)
Fast forward 21 years later and we have both been through a lot! He wanted rescuing well I did that but then you find out that a man who expects to be rescued doesn't have very good boundaries in place and actually needs to take responsibility for his own life and not expect others to do it for him!
So we all reap what we sow....
I think that's unavoidable and if you come from a troubled background like myself and my husband and his former girlfriend then expect to have troubled relationship's with others?
I don't think that anyone willingly sets out to hurt others unless they are a sadist or sociopath (as others have mentioned) but I think especially when you are young you can be blissfully ignorant of the trouble or pain you can cause.(also pain or conflict can be your normal)?
His former girlfriend was willful and possessive my husband was weak and I was naive and addicted to being a carer and caretaker all 3 of us have suffered because of that
At the end of the day you have to live with yourself and the consequences of your actions if you mature and wise up and develop empathy that's going to hurt if previously you were all about self gratification or what is worse repeating negative patterns of relating (,or not as the case may be) which you have picked up from your parents or family?
So there are many different ways of looking at things but the main thing in all of this to me is having boundaries.
Something I have had to force myself to do because I didn't know any better.
That's been painful and as regards to cheating I found that actually my husband did cheat but it wasn't in the sexual sense but he cheated me by not being the person he claimed to be and by being both childish and vindictive at times. (Typical narc behaviour include gaslighting as well but I didn't know it at the time!).
So I felt robbed of a husband and a future we should have had because he gave me a lot but he didn't (couldn't) love me.
Although he tries but it's not really in him it's like he has an emotional deficit and no amount of love from others can fill it?
So I was the other woman at first (unwittingly) and I think it's interesting to note the structure of this i.e the love triangle!
That is a favourite of narcissists everywhere triangulation so I say really if anyone ever finds themselves like me caught in the middle that's a massive red flag and basically get out while you still can!
I got caught up in it and now my feelings are ambivalent I love my husband but I can't really relate to him much and his behaviour at times has been incredibly frustrating and hurtful.
Now I am willing to admit defeat because I have got him to recognise that fact (very recently) and he's finally admitted he was wrong and that's something he has never done before.
So life goes on....the pain has faded things have calmed down he's not as egotistical as before thank god and he no longer has to defend himself because he admits now not all criticism is a form of attack!
Yeah so I'm ok I feel like I have been through a lot but tbh I was so naive when we got married that maybe I was due a bit of a reality check! (Happens to the best of us).
You live you learn...?
Funnily enough I used to think if he had an affair I would actually be relieved because living with him was too intense and it would take the pressure off me?
Now I look back and realise that would have been selfish of me! Why because you should never offload your problems onto another person?
If he had done that the whole triangulation pattern would have started again and another woman would have been in my situation and most probably would have got hurt?
So it's good to end things and it's good to accept things are complicated but when you grow up s bit you realise that you just don't need the drama it's not worth it!
In regards to his former girlfriend I realise I sounded critical at the start of the post probably because I felt like I shouldn't be the one that she went for!
Now looking back I feel like we both were (willingly fooled) because we both wanted to get someone who looked easy to have but actually was difficult to get to know because he has always been afraid of intamacy?
That's the real problem isn't it Mr or Mrs hard to get?
Whenever any of us find ourselves attracted to someone hard to get we have to know that our strings are being pulled and we are being manipulated and for me that's the real horror.
You think you are free but someone is playing games and guess what that turns out to be no fun at all!
So those who are elusive lie or tell stories or make themselves the hero or heroine of a narrative are always going to be unmasked eventually as the narcissists they surely are.
If anyone finds themselves like I did falling for an idealised image please forgive yourself because it's a mask that others wear and sometimes it hides a not very likeable person underneath it all.(and they know this and that's why they are secretly afraid).
They are also scared of being found out I should know it took me 21 years and that's 21 years I could have nurtured and supported myself!
So ultimately although it sounds really clichéd the best thing is to have a love affair with yourself if like me you find yourself lost or lonely or lied to?
That's the only thing that can help in the long run!

• Heart
If a man says he is in an unhappy relationship whilsy pursuing one with you, dont be a mug. Leave him to grow a backbone.

IMO, it all comes down to morals, self respect and self esteem. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: 9
I've been the other woman. Not really fussed about judgement by strangers. We had a relationship for 2 and a half years. We both got what we wanted from it and it naturally ended. I was working full time, going to University and learning to fly so didn't have the time nor really want to commit to anything more than sex, worked for both of us. It wasn't me that stood in front of friends and family and take vows, it was him that did that and broke them (frequently)

• Sick
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.