The Moscow/Idaho Murders #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There was that thing about the Stingray device being used.
I wonder if they lost the phone?

There was that thing about the Stingray device being used.
I wonder if they lost the phone?
where did you hear that from?

I can't wait for the May 30th hearing

and also don't forget the last paragraph from the alibi document filed by the defense the part "was either not preserved or has been withheld"
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 8.48.05 PM.png

I heard it from you....
oh okay yeah I thought that because they wasn't turning over the fbi cast report but after this hearing, I've changed my mind. I need to rewatch this hearing. I'm can't wait for the May 30, 2024 hearing with Sy Ray.

Reactions: 1
How come he's being allowed to wear suits and seems to be given more "freedom" than most others who are in custody in the US court system? I find that weird.

How come he's being allowed to wear suits and seems to be given more "freedom" than most others who are in custody in the US court system? I find that weird.
Are you in the UK?
---
Andrea a lawyer ( out of Washington state) on YouTube said that the second judicial circuit found that prison outfits were prejudicial.

The presumption of innocence is recognized as a due process right under the Fifth Amendment. The prosecutor has the burden of proof to show you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
So the hearing was the chance for the police to say "trust me bro."

It was rather odd.
One explanation is that whatever the search parameters were, was outside of the warrant.
Another is that this copper was buggering about on the police computer - and if I were a cynic, was passing on (selling) the information to a journalist.
Or it could be a backdoor way for the FBI to pass information to the court - without the bother of going to the Federal court - in the form of the "found file" fished out from behind the filing cabinet.

But whatever the case, this detective didn't appear exactly the most competent person at using the software.
---
Why is it weird?

So the hearing was the chance for the police to say "trust me bro."

It was rather odd.
One explanation is that whatever the search parameters were, was outside of the warrant.
Another is that this copper was buggering about on the police computer - and if I were a cynic, was passing on (selling) the information to a journalist.
Or it could be a backdoor way for the FBI to pass information to the court - without the bother of going to the Federal court - in the form of the "found file" fished out from behind the filing cabinet.

But whatever the case, this detective didn't appear exactly the most competent person at using the software.
---

Why is it weird?

I need to go back and watch this hearing again. The testimony of the detective from MPD was odd. It's not looking good for the state imo. It really looks like the information that is exculpatory to the defendant wasn't saved imo.

But the hearing was called by the defense for their 4th and 5th motion to compel discovery. This witness was called by the defense and not the state. The defense is trying to show what information they need and what information should have been turned over to them and how that information was handled e.g. when LE got that information back from Search warrants e.g. ATT and Verzion and the collection of the surveillance video of the white Hyundai around Moscow, Idaho and Pullman, WA the night of the murders and around the 1122 King Rd house. Mowery created the map of the cell phone pings for the grand jury and only made a screenshot but he didn't save any of this work. I think that someone said that they got some information from FBI special agent Nick Ballance that is a member of CAST, a cellular analyst survey team that specializes in determining location based on cellphone records. FBI special agent Nick Ballance is the same person that had worked on the Lori Vallow and the Chad Daybell cases. Also Anne asked about the traffic cameras and if the detective was able to save the video and he said that those traffic cameras doesn't store the video but I thought that it would have for like 30 days. IDK. This Mowery guy is the top person for the

FYI - back on APRIL 3, 2024 this is about the same detective that testified in this last hearing.

The U.S. Secret Service (USSS) formally recognized Moscow Police Department’s Detective Lawrence Mowery for achievement in the field of digital forensics and cyber-crime investigation.

Detective Mowery was honored in person at Monday’s City Council meeting by USSS Spokane Office’s Resident Agent in Charge, Greg Ligouri, and Network Intrusion Forensic Analyst Neil J. Uhrig.

Detective Mowery attended the National Computer Forensics Institute (NCFI) training program in 2022. In 2023, Detective Mowery conducted more digital forensic examinations than any other NCFI graduate in northern Idaho, eastern Washington, and western Montana.

Reactions: 2
I need to go back and watch this hearing again. The testimony of the detective from MPD was odd. It's not looking good for the state imo. It really looks like the information that is exculpatory to the defendant wasn't saved imo.

But the hearing was called by the defense for their 4th and 5th motion to compel discovery. This witness was called by the defense and not the state. The defense is trying to show what information they need and what information should have been turned over to them and how that information was handled e.g. when LE got that information back from Search warrants e.g. ATT and Verzion and the collection of the surveillance video of the white Hyundai around Moscow, Idaho and Pullman, WA the night of the murders and around the 1122 King Rd house. Mowery created the map of the cell phone pings for the grand jury and only made a screenshot but he didn't save any of this work. I think that someone said that they got some information from FBI special agent Nick Ballance that is a member of CAST, a cellular analyst survey team that specializes in determining location based on cellphone records. FBI special agent Nick Ballance is the same person that had worked on the Lori Vallow and the Chad Daybell cases. Also Anne asked about the traffic cameras and if the detective was able to save the video and he said that those traffic cameras doesn't store the video but I thought that it would have for like 30 days. IDK. This Mowery guy is the top person for the

FYI - back on APRIL 3, 2024 this is about the same detective that testified in this last hearing.

The U.S. Secret Service (USSS) formally recognized Moscow Police Department’s Detective Lawrence Mowery for achievement in the field of digital forensics and cyber-crime investigation.

Detective Mowery was honored in person at Monday’s City Council meeting by USSS Spokane Office’s Resident Agent in Charge, Greg Ligouri, and Network Intrusion Forensic Analyst Neil J. Uhrig.

Detective Mowery attended the National Computer Forensics Institute (NCFI) training program in 2022. In 2023, Detective Mowery conducted more digital forensic examinations than any other NCFI graduate in northern Idaho, eastern Washington, and western Montana.
That may very well be the case.
But he seemed very shaky on this particular software.

That may very well be the case.
But he seemed very shaky on this particular software.
maybe,
I can't wait to see who else is called to testify in this next hearing .

but also there is that 24 hr grocery store in Moscow too that has a good section for people that are vegan too I'm wondering if those `12 pings are from when he went to that grocery store.

Moscow detective testifies about cell phone records in Bryan Kohberger's court appearance Thursday

Kohberger's lawyers called Moscow Police Detective Lawerence Mowery to the stand as part of their motion to compel prosecutors to release additional evidence.

Author: KREM Staff
Published: 2:44 PM PDT May 23, 2024
Updated: 2:44 PM PDT May 23, 2024

MOSCOW, Idaho — Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of killing four University of Idaho students in November 2022, appeared in court on Thursday, May 23.

Kohberger's lawyers called Moscow Police Detective Lawerence Mowery to the stand as part of their motion to compel prosecutors to release additional evidence.

Questioning focused on Mowery's work on police reports in the case, specifically cell phone records. The defense asked questions about the program Mowery used to create the records.

Prosecutors did not spend much time asking the witness questions. At this point, the defense did not tip their hand about why they were so focused on the detective's work.

Another hearing is set for next Thursday, May 30, when more witnesses called by Kohberger's lawyers will testify.

Live coverage of today's hearing in Bryan Kohberger case
  • May 23, 2024 Updated May 23, 2024
664fbc3ba91af.image.jpg

Moscow Police Detective Lawerence Mowery (upper right) answers questions on the witness stand during a hearing Thursday afternoon in the Bryan Kohberger case.

The Tribune's Kerri Sandaine is providing live coverage of today's 2:30 p.m. hearing in the Bryan Kohberger case at the Latah County Courthouse in Moscow. Her updates will be posted here as they come in.

A livestream of the hearing can be watched here.

The videos aren't archived when the hearing ends.
12:09 P.M.: Bryan Kohberger returns to Latah County courtroom at 2:30 today for another pretrial hearing. I’ll be following along with live updates this afternoon. #Idaho4

2:29 P.M.: Waiting for Judge to start his Livestream. We also have a reporter in the Moscow courtroom, along with other news outlets covering the #Kohberger hearing today. Should be interesting since defense has a witness. Change of venue hearing isn't until June 27.

2:40 P.M.: It's started! Kohberger in the courtroom with Taylor, state has Thompson and Jennings at table. Motions to compel discovery at issue.

2:43 P.M.: Witness with Detective Lawrence Mowrey of the Moscow Police Department. He investigated homicides at 1122 King Road. His work was with cell phone analysis and collection of video from around community.

2:46 P.M.: Taylor is asking the Moscow detective about his training on cellular towers and providers by FBI CAST members. Mowrey's certificates entered as exhibits.

2:51 P.M.: Name is spelled Lawerence Mowery, according to MPD website. Defense is asking about a report he looked at it yesterday. He found 6 or 7 items in session logs. She's asking for details.

2:57 P.M.: He gave records to prosecutor yesterday. AT&T warrant returns covered a 48-hour period, and a longer period of time. She's asking about specific files. Taylor asks if she can have those 3 files and emails. Detective says yes. Data file had references to locations.

3:03 P.M.: Taylor is asking when he was asked to review reports. Program was used in spring 2023 to access call detail records, related to Kohberger's phone number, detective says. Screenshots were taken. I wasn't main person looking at call detail records, he says. Info used for grand jury.

3:10 P.M.: Mowery created visual records for grand jury. Taylor is asking why a session log was never created. She appears to be questioning his forensic process and is now asking about videos of main roads in and out of Moscow. "Did you do a preservation for anything?" Taylor asks.

3:14 P.M.: Mowery says he did not have still shots of road preserved. Taylor is now asking about Red Star Coffee Shop videos. She wants to track where they went. He doesn't have that info.

3:17 P.M.: Deputy Prosecutor Ashley Jennings is asking about a specific software that shows location and directions of cell towers. He produced a visual display, created screenshots, made sure time was correct. He did not have a reason to save the settings, detective said.

3:20 P.M.: Session files have been provided, he says. Looked into http://windy.com, which have screenshots on a website. Time frame wasn't what we were interested in, and that's why they weren't preserved, he says. Turned over to defense anyway.

3:25 P.M.: We looked back then, but the screenshots were mainly during the daytime and not what was needed, detective says. Taylor is showing him a map. Screen capture of map admitted. She wants to know if she needs exact same software program to recreate what he did. He doesn't know.

Moscow detective fills in details on cell data in Kohberger hearing
Avoiding specifics, Mowery tells Kohberger team what type of info he’d gathered
  • By Anthony Kuipers Moscow-Pullman Daily News

• May 24, 2024 Updated May 24, 2024

66502869086d6.image.jpg

Lawrence Mowery

MOSCOW — A Moscow police detective took the witness stand Thursday in the latest Bryan Kohberger hearing to discuss evidence he was in charge of collecting.

Kohberger’s attorney Anne Taylor questioned Det. Lawrence Mowery in Latah County District Court about the evidence she’d requested through a motion to compel.

Taylor did not ask him to share specifically what the evidence shows, but questioned him on what kind of evidence he’d gathered and the process he used to collect it.

Mowery collected cell tower data for Kohberger’s grand jury hearing in May 2023. He also wrote warrants for AT&T call records related to Kohberger’s cell phone, and attempted to find relevant images or videos from the Idaho Transportation Department’s cameras overlooking highways in Moscow.

He also referenced a digital file that showed locations on a map and session files sent to him by the FBI.

Cell phone data was a key part of the evidence that led to Kohberger’s arrest in December 2022, and Mowery created visuals displaying cell phone data during the grand jury.

Kohberger faces four counts of first-degree murder and one count of burglary in the November 2022 stabbing deaths of University of Idaho students Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin. He faces the death penalty if convicted.

Taylor referenced surveillance footage from Red Star Coffee Company, in Moscow, but Mowery said he did not recall receiving that video.

Taylor questioned Mowery on his training in the FBI’s Cellular Analysis Survey Team (CAST). She also asked him about how he uses the CAST software to process cell tower data.

According to Mowery, the state transportation department does not preserve still images or videos of the highways. When he looked for similar still images or videos on the website Windy.com, what he found was not in the time frame that investigators were interested in. He said it provided no value as evidence.

Mowery agreed to provide Taylor with files, emails and data from Windy.com.

Kohberger’s next hearing is scheduled for May 30. As of Thursday, it is expected to be open to the public.

Expert witnesses Leah Larkin and Bicka Barlow will be available to testify at that hearing. Larkin and Barlow both testified during Kohberger’s hearing Aug. 18. Barlow is a San Francisco attorney who works on DNA cases and Larkin is a California genetic genealogist.

( Please note that there are two hearings on May 30, 2024 one at 10 am that is open to the public and one at 2:30 pm that is closed to the public. Since the documents and emails and records about the cell phone information for BK was turned over right before the hearing, I'm wondering if there is no need the 10 am hearing and only a need for the 1:30 pm hearing which is closed to the public.)

Last edited:
Who is Brent Kopack?
Brent Kopacka served in the U.S. Army between 2005 and 2009 in the 2nd Battalion, 508TH Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. He was awarded the Purple Heart for his service in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, where he sustained a traumatic brain injury during combat. Kopacka’s family said in his obituarythat over the last 16 years, he “fought a courageous [ongoing] battle against PTSD, but in the end he couldn’t break free.”

I heard that Officer Payne was in the 82nd Airborne Division but in different years and I forgot which set of years but it wasn't between 2005 and 2009, that I do know.

Screen Shot 2024-05-28 at 2.36.51 PM.png

^^ Sorry the investigation lasted for 10 months after the SWAT situation happened in Dec 2022. This was the press release. I heard that one of Brent Kopacka's roommates was having an episode and it triggered Brent Kopacka and he then had his own episode which ended in that situation. I think that LTL Media may have the full body cam footage, this channel has parts of the body cam footage of the standoff that another channel doesn't have. I'm guessing that other channel that doesn't have certain parts of the footage is because that creator edited out. imo.

Brent Kopacka served in the U.S. Army between 2005 and 2009 in the 2nd Battalion, 508TH Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. He was awarded the Purple Heart for his service in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, where he sustained a traumatic brain injury during combat. Kopacka’s family said in his obituarythat over the last 16 years, he “fought a courageous [ongoing] battle against PTSD, but in the end he couldn’t break free.”

I heard that Officer Payne was in the 82nd Airborne Division but in different years and I forgot which set of years but it wasn't between 2005 and 2009, that I do know.

View attachment 2962293

^^ Sorry the investigation lasted for 10 months after the SWAT situation happened in Dec 2022. This was the press release. I heard that one of Brent Kopacka's roommates was having an episode and it triggered Brent Kopacka and he then had his own episode which ended in that situation. I think that LTL Media may have the full body cam footage, this channel has parts of the body cam footage of the standoff that another channel doesn't have. I'm guessing that other channel that doesn't have certain parts of the footage is because that creator edited out. imo.
I saw some clips on line, where the defence refers to Brent Kohberger, and the judge says Brian Kopack.

I saw some clips on line, where the defence refers to Brent Kohberger, and the judge says Brian Kopack.
yeah it sounds like that by the defense but I'm not sure and the sound imo wasn't that good so some parts of that last hearing are hard to heard

I missed the part where the judge Said Brian kopacka , I didn't heard that but the sound was bad in some parts of the hearings.

yeah it sounds like that by the defense but I'm not sure and the sound imo wasn't that good so some parts of that last hearing are hard to heard

I missed the part where the judge Said Brian kopacka , I didn't heard that but the sound was bad in some parts of the hearings.
If I recall correctly he didn't first name the individual. He referred to Mr Kopacka before quickly correcting this to Mr Kohberger hence more confusion

Reactions: 2
here's the hearing in the morning and Sy Ray did testify about the cell phone information and he said that he knows Agent Ballance. I just looked in the live stream and some of the comments but I wasn't able to stay the whole time .
I have yet to watch the whole hearing.