The good old Youtube days - Discuss anything!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I bought a set of Sigma brushes because of YouTube ๐Ÿ˜‚

LaurenLuke was the first beauty channel I watched. Lollypop26, Richie Nickel, dazzledust25 ๐Ÿ˜‚

there were a few whose names escape me, such a shame as Iโ€™d like to see if theyโ€™re still tubing

Just remembered one - Meme Molly

Richie Nickel blocked me for telling him itโ€™s espresso not expresso ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Richie Nickel blocked me for telling him itโ€™s espresso not expresso ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
i just searched him out of interest and by some weird coincidence hes back as Richard Ferguson! Started posting a month ago ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Reactions: 1
i just searched him out of interest and by some weird coincidence hes back as Richard Ferguson! Started posting a month ago ๐Ÿ˜ณ
I just saw too. He looks a lot different without the black eyeliner/mega black hairstyle too!

Reactions: 2
I miss how YouTube gurus used to be too.
They used to be so genuine in what they liked before they just got sent everything and then it was shill anything and everything for cash.
The OG YouTubers I used to love watching were Elle and Blair, Lollipop26 (now Buynowbloglater), Goldiestarling, Michele1218, MakeupbyTiffanyD, Queen of Blending, Lorraine Stanick and Makeup Geek.
Still follow Elle and Blair (have been following Elle's fertility journey, so heartbreaking), stopped following MakeupbyTiffanyD, she was relatable but once she was all about the flashy cars and obsessed with moving into bigger and bigger houses that was enough.
Biggest upset out of them all for me was Michele1218. I loved her, she genuinely loved helping people and interacting with her followers, her little love story with Nick was adorable, she moved into a gorgeous house and had her little princess.
I genuinely felt for her when it all came out about Nick and his years of cheating because no-one deserves that, but it definitely changed her for the worst.
Fairy tale bubble was popped, she now shills anything she can including those cheaply made Stella and Dot monstrosities that she's somehow a top seller on, has a ridiculously huge house that's uneccessary but prob making her feel like shes winning at life, contradicts herself constantly and doesn't stick to her own beliefs.
The dude she's with now Dan, he's a massive Trump fan so she just goes along with it because she thinks she has to change herself to keep him.
Honestly I could go on because it's an absolute tit show and I can't help but feel pity for her.

Ugh I miss when all of the 'Brit crew' would upload on a Sunday evening before getting ready for school the next day. My post-GCSEs summer job used to pay me on a Friday and I'd go straight into town to buy the latest Zoella makeup recommendations. Used to love the Aussie/NZ makeup scene too such as Lauren Curtis, Shani Grimmond, Shaaanxo. Never really watched many Americans. I buy about 5 new makeup items a year these days ๐Ÿ˜‚

Omg the nostalgia! I miss the days when we could trust YouTubers when they loved products because sponsorships and ads didnโ€™t exist!

maybelline babylips
Maybelline eyeshadow pots (forgot their name)
bourjois healthy mix
Essie mint candy apple
revlon butter things ๐Ÿ˜‚

Reactions: 5
I miss how YouTube gurus used to be too.
They used to be so genuine in what they liked before they just got sent everything and then it was shill anything and everything for cash.
The OG YouTubers I used to love watching were Elle and Blair, Lollipop26 (now Buynowbloglater), Goldiestarling, Michele1218, MakeupbyTiffanyD, Queen of Blending, Lorraine Stanick and Makeup Geek.
Still follow Elle and Blair (have been following Elle's fertility journey, so heartbreaking), stopped following MakeupbyTiffanyD, she was relatable but once she was all about the flashy cars and obsessed with moving into bigger and bigger houses that was enough.
Biggest upset out of them all for me was Michele1218. I loved her, she genuinely loved helping people and interacting with her followers, her little love story with Nick was adorable, she moved into a gorgeous house and had her little princess.
I genuinely felt for her when it all came out about Nick and his years of cheating because no-one deserves that, but it definitely changed her for the worst.
Fairy tale bubble was popped, she now shills anything she can including those cheaply made Stella and Dot monstrosities that she's somehow a top seller on, has a ridiculously huge house that's uneccessary but prob making her feel like shes winning at life, contradicts herself constantly and doesn't stick to her own beliefs.
The dude she's with now Dan, he's a massive Trump fan so she just goes along with it because she thinks she has to change herself to keep him.
Honestly I could go on because it's an absolute tit show and I can't help but feel pity for her.
Omg agree with everything you said, I loved Michele back in the day but now she is just swipe up after swipe up. It's so bad. She would swipe up her toilet roll if people were naive enough to buy it!

• Heart
I used to watch a beauty blogger called Alice I'm pretty sure her channel was super gorgeous. She was absolutely stunning!

Essie nails polishes - I went through several bottles of that ghastly powder blue in 2013.

O.P.I - I racked up a lovely collection then moved onto collecting Ciate because the bottles were prettier.

Sleek make up - especially the contour palette with the sparkling highlighter which made me look like c-3po but duck it, I enjoyed it at the time!

I bought some really crap culty lip gloss that came in two parts and you had to add the strength of the plumping agent to the main lipgloss. It smelt like it was going off after about 2 weeks. The plumping sensation lasted about all of 2 minutes. Cant remember what it was called but YouTube made me buy it.

"Gurus "I remember watching originally, from back in the day:

Michelle Phan
Bubzbeauty
JulieG713
xSparkage
Fafinettex3
Kandee Johnson
SWalkerMakeup
Elle and Blair Fowler
Lollipop26
Lauren Luke
GregoryGorgeous (now Gigi Gorgeous)

Smaller YouTubers I watched, when I wanted to watch more relatable "gurus", and my thoughts when I remember their names/channels:

• Holly Samantha - very pretty and talented make-up and nail artist. Didn't seem that nice (sarky replies to comments?) but her videos were interesting. She used to make vlogs with her boyfriend's sisters. One of them was called Mia, I think she also made a YouTube channel.
  • Shona - a middle class girl that lived in a loft conversion. She had a boyfriend called Sam, and spoke candidly of their breakup in a video where she got upset. She used to do Topshop and Urban Outfitters hauls, and I was jealous because I couldn't afford those shops! She was quite funny and sweet really, I think she stopped making videos when she went off to uni, or maybe some time before.
  • A posh girl called Immy or Imogen who had a sausage dog called Biggles... she had a great sense of humour.
  • Jayde Pierce - I think she's now a model and has dated Justin Bieber? Her original videos were so authentic, in her bedroom with an unmade bed in background, make-up stains on the carpet and using high street/cheap brands. She had a boyfriend that she met at school. I always got a mean vibe from her, though.
  • A girl called Dillon that was friends with Jayde. She had a boyfriend with ginger hair.
  • Sabrina (ItsSabrina/LoveLaughMakeup?) - I thought she was so pretty but quite boring.
  • BeautyCrush's sister, Daniella Christina - I was jealous of her beauty, but her channel was a bit messy and she wasn't very likeable.
  • Thea Kate - I was also jealous of her beauty and confidence, but she seemed quite obnoxious and spoilt at times.
  • A blonde posh girl called Alice, she was quite serious and hated shy people.
  • Miss Princess Pancake - reminded me of Miranda Hart.
  • A Scottish girl called Emma. She liked Soap & Glory products, and MAC makeup. She also did book reviews.

Let's see if anyone remembers this guy:

He was one of the first ever Youtubers in 2006-2007. I used to watch his videos religiously. Seemed quite internet famous at the time although this was before Youtube was commonplace so his subscribers are miniscule (80k!) compared to the millions other people got. Nevertheless, I think he pretty much invented the idea of the Youtuber. I remember he always had the "W"s on his yellow wall behind him and after about a year he painted the wall blue and painted all the "W"s white which feels incredibly ahead of his time.

He disappeared in around 2008/2009. Back then the 'Youtuber' concept still hadn't really taken off and no one was making money or a living off it. I'm guessing he was focusing on real life/his career. Now he works as a manager in a bank and has 2k followers on Instagram. This guy was internet royalty in my high school days! lol

I used to religiously watch the Shaytards way before it turned into a big old mess. That poor family.
I also loved lunch time with Smosh - whoever mentioned that.

I remember the first youtubers I ever got into were Elle and Blaire when I was in secondary school, mostly Blaire. I remember they used to have that glitzyglam(?) store and I bought one of those initial key chain they used to sell. Then I got into Lauren Luke, I feel like she just missed out on making it big as it was a few years after YouTube seemed to blow up and become mainstream but nothing ever really became of her.
After that I got into the UK YouTube scene and it went from there. I used to feel like such a weirdo as Iโ€™d get home and watch YouTube videos and none of my other friends did.

Does anyone else remember when a lot of the US youtubers were always going on about the coastal scents pallets (again I might be wrong on the name as was so long ago now) someone tell me Iโ€™m not the only one who remembers those ๐Ÿ˜‚ I remember always wanting to have one because they all recommended it, I canโ€™t remember why I never bought it or if they were ever big with the uk youtubers.

Reactions: 3
I blame Lollipop26 for my makeup obsession! I bought everything...gosh darling, cherries in the snow, elf warm bronzer, greige nails, all that glitters etc

Reactions: 6
I blame Lollipop26 for my makeup obsession! I bought everything...gosh darling, cherries in the snow, elf warm bronzer, greige nails, all that glitters etc
Gosh Darling! Forgot about that! God I wonder what it would look like now.

Reactions: 3
I remember when all of the UK girlies would go to America and do CVS and sephora hauls.... I used to wish and wish that they'd bring the Physicians Formula butter bronzers and heart blushers to the UK. I even ordered them a few years ago and paid a huge customs fee for them to turn up smashed. Now they sell them here and they're pretty average - I barely use them, so anti climactic ๐Ÿ˜‚ 14 year old me would be buzzing if you told me we'd be able to buy elf, nyx, milani, wet n wild etc in boots.

Reactions: 5
Yeah I used to watch the shaytards a lot too, the thing is these youtubers who put so much energy into masking who they truly are never works out for them

Yeah I used to watch the shaytards a lot too, the thing is these youtubers who put so much energy into masking who they truly are never works out for them
Can't believe I used to watch the daily family vloggers. I'm so against them these days!

I miss JacksGap. Jack and Finn, two gorgeous, sweet guys with amazing smiles. And the Maoam Stripes "thing" they had going on, that was some sort of obsession/joke etc.

They are the reason why I now love a man wearing a button down shirt with the sleeves folded up towards the elbow. They rocked that look.

• Heart
I honestly just miss high quality videos in general

A lot of YouTubers now fit the algorithm or have become a bit lazy since their 'prime' has passed. There's a few gaming channels I found that are more in the video essay style, but some of them give you a ton of information (or not enough) in 10 minutes, and the ones that are 'good' (by my standards at least) don't seem to have that many subscribers so are a bit harder to find

It's just sad. I genuinely miss procrastinating on YouTube on random channels, now you have to watch a bunch of trash to find a channel you like