The good old Youtube days - Discuss anything!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The ladies at Lily Pebbles have started a small discussions about the good old Youtube days, so I thought I should create a new thread.

What do you miss? What have you personally bought based on their genuine recommendations (before influencer is even a thing)....Freestyle really!

I shall start first - Back in 2012, every Youtubers had the rose/ flowery pattern duvet set
1598222275026.png

And I got mine too!

Reactions: 10
I can remember watching Zoella when she was bearable. I can remember her cake making and decorating videos, her hauls from primark and her vlogs with the old “YouTube gang” (Marcus butler, Naomi, Caspar Lee, joe sugg, zoe sugg, Alfie deyes, Louise pentland and evening jacksgap!!). They aren’t so likeable anymore, money has gone to their heads and they’ve become boring. Time changes everyone :/ I miss the days where people had fun and everything wasn’t about money.

Reactions: 16
I can remember watching Zoella when she was bearable. I can remember her cake making and decorating videos, her hauls from primark and her vlogs with the old “YouTube gang” (Marcus butler, Naomi, Caspar Lee, joe sugg, zoe sugg, Alfie deyes, Louise pentland and evening jacksgap!!). They aren’t so likeable anymore, money has gone to their heads and they’ve become boring. Time changes everyone :/ I miss the days where people had fun and everything wasn’t about money.
Gleam kinda ruin Youtube for us lol

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Thank you @Freebies_come2me !

I’ve realised that the good old YouTube days for me seem to be around 2012 (I think). At this point the Youtubers I was watching still made their own recommendations rather than being sent gifted makeup like they are today. I remember wanting to have every shade of the Revlon lip butters like FleurdeForce. So glad I didn’t because the shade selection really was awful 😂 still, I miss the days when the beauty gurus genuinely talked about products they personally liked, not just because Jo Malone or Charlotte Tilbury are launching a new collection and sent then everything

1786E511-ECA9-436B-836B-A927C5250A50.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Anyone reads DizzyBrunette3 blog? Massive throwback here

Thank you @Freebies_come2me !

I’ve realised that the good old YouTube days for me seem to be around 2012 (I think). At this point the Youtubers I was watching still made their own recommendations rather than being sent gifted makeup like they are today. I remember wanting to have every shade of the Revlon lip butters like FleurdeForce. So glad I didn’t because the shade selection really was awful 😂 still, I miss the days when the beauty gurus genuinely talked about products they personally liked, not just because Jo Malone or Charlotte Tilbury are launching a new collection and sent then everything

View attachment 221171
FML, I think I may have bought a few of this lol

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I used to avidly watch ViviannaDoesMakeup, Lily Pebbles, Lily Melrose and I bought so much tit because they banged on about it so much 🤣
I remember spending like £40 on some limited edition Nars blush palette which was pretty small for the price. I would never ever spend that much on make up now! Same with stuff like Bumble and Bumble salt spray. Load of crap and really pricey!
Also who remembers the Zara city bag??? Hands up who hand one too!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Anyone reads DizzyBrunette3 blog? Massive throwback here

FML, I think I may have bought a few of this lol
Yes. I still follow DizzyBrunette/Corrie. I adore her, she is one of few bloggers I still really like.

What about Laura Bradshaw/tiny twist? She is so nice too.

Reactions: 3
Yes. I still follow DizzyBrunette/Corrie. I adore her, she is one of few bloggers I still really like.

What about Laura Bradshaw/tiny twist? She is so nice too.
Corrie is pregnant now! So happy for her

I kinda miss the OG British YouTubers sometimes i.e. the ones that featured in Ben Cook's 'Becoming YouTube' docu-series (Charlieissocoollike, Alex Day, Dan and Phil, Carrie Fletcher, Jack Howard, Emma Blackery, etc). Sucks that a few of them turned out to be real creeps and most of the others either abandoned YouTube entirely or kept at it long enough to become pretty unbearable 😕 I can only think of one or two channels from that era that make videos I've actually watched in 2020.

Everyone always acts like the Gleam lot were 'British YouTube' when they were very much the second wave of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I remember watching Panacea81 (Lauren Luke) for make-up - that seems like a lifetime ago! Pixiwoo (when they were likeable), Lily Pebbles, ViviannaDoesMakeup, Lily Melrose & Pearls & Poodles (Milly Naomi) were also ones that I watched/read blogs. They seemed so into what they were talking about which made me want to go to Boots/Superdrug to buy the make-up they talked about. Now I can’t relate to them talking about a £25 cream eyeshadow.
I bought the UD eyeshadow primer potion because everyone raved about it. I bought it & it flaked off my eyelids.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Those Revlon Lip Butters! Loved them. I think I still have a couple floating around. The Pink Truffle was the perfect "your lips but better" remember that phrase?!

I never got into Lily Pebbles till later in life. When she was first "what I heart today" I genuinely thought she was so monotonous and depressed and lacked complete personality.
Loved Anna (Viviannadoesmakeup) - still really like her. Super harmless.
Went through a phase where I hated Fleur because she just sold out but since having a kid..she's become more tolerable

Reactions: 6
Great thread!

I used to watch/Read Lollypop26 aka Buynowbloglater. She was so great. And those American sisters, Elle and Blair. This is back in 2011 onwards. I bought Mac eyeshadow All that glitters. Gosh Darling lipstick. Rimmel Cherries in the snow lipstick. Mac mineralise skinfinish natural. It was so fun to see them use or wear something then go and look for it in the shop to check it out.
Lollypop had this faux Alexander Wang bag with studs on the bottom from eBay and I bought one. Loved it!

I actually really miss when recommendations where natural and these bloggers had real lives I could relate to - before everything was monetises. There’s not one I actually trust any more tbh.

Reactions: 7
Corrie is pregnant now! So happy for her
I always wonder why didn’t she make it as much as LP/ Anna, especially back in the day they were quite similar. Perhaps because she is not In London? Her blog is still very 2013 ish, which I like :)

IBumble and Bumble salt spray. Load of crap and really pricey!
BB salt spray, so nostalgic, plus it has to photographed in front of fairy lights. Now they barely wash their hair

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I loved youtube back in the day. So many good recommendations and even the high end things were more attainable. Now it's all "whistles is cheaper and bags are over £1,000". I loved the revlon lip butters and am cross theyre discontinued. Is Mac Patisserie lipstick discontinued too?

Reactions: 7
Who remembers all the Youtubers using the original Naked Palette? And all the videos on how to depot the old style bottle primer potion?

DAB68EBF-4491-4BE9-A4C8-F3BC49BAADAD.jpeg

Reactions: 16
Products I was 'influenced' to buy -
Maybelline The Falsies mascara
Bonjois chocolate bronzer
Rimmel wake me up foundation
Collection concealer
Essie mint candy apple nail varnish

Reactions: 12
I was never really into beauty YouTube except for Bubzbeauty, but I mainly watched her non-beauty videos. I loved her comedy channel but would probably cringe if I tried watching again!

I miss YouTube being more raw, less fake and polished. Now it’s just like watching TV (which I rarely do) with scripted ‘reality’ videos, ads everywhere, product placements, usage of professional filming equipment, people living unattainable lifestyles (no real jobs, etc), everyone being rich and unrelatable. The handful of YouTubers I regularly watch and enjoy now are nothing like that

I’d love to go back to the days of filming on crappy webcams, terrible editing, people using their own money(!) to buy affordable goods in hauls. It was so much more entertaining and endearing

Reactions: 13
I started off watching Dan and Phil, Zoella, Joe Sugg, Oli White. This was like, 2012? 2013? YouTube seemed much more genuine then. @chocolate choux is very right about YouTube being like watching TV nowadays. Partially I think it comes with the territory of YouTube where the whole, 'chatting in my bedroom' isn't enough to keep viewers coming in. And then once it becomes more like a TV production in rolls the product placements and advertisements or, because of the youtube algorithm, trying to keep on top of the 'trending' tab. I really miss watching Dan and Phil especially :(

The first "youtubers" i watched were Smosh (Ian and Anthony?), i found their videos so funny opening fan mail and lunch time lol - I was young😂

First vlogger tho was Zoella, precisely the video where she went to see her 2nd book get printed so not quite OG😂
I was obsessed with her lazy oafs outfits and thankfully I couldn't get them where I lived cuz they're so bloody EXPENSIVE!

Reactions: 1
I still watch Bubs Beauty! She’s one of the OGs, even before the Gleam group. She’s not obnoxious like the rest of them.

Reactions: 1