The frugality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh I’m so glad I found this site! Alex has always wound me up.
I met her about 6 years ago at a press event I was running and she was the most boring person I’ve ever had to sit through a dinner with, all she did was bang on about how poor she was and how she saves money by being ‘frugal’. She said all of this while scoffing free food and drinking free wine, she then trotted off home with her goodie bag of free press samples and into a waiting cab supplied by our brand and taken home. I then had to pack up the event, get everything back to the office and then get a night bus home as I was so skint I only had about £10 left until pay day. After that I thought she was the biggest wanker and tried my best to avoid the boring bastard.
Got a mate who knows someone who did PR for her a couple of years back and apparently her and husband dearest are mortgaged up to their eyeballs so not the best person to take money advice from.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
She said all of this while scoffing free food and drinking free wine,
Interesting- she has said several times she hates wine and doesn’t drink it and says it was because it was so expensive to drink when out when she was younger that she never got into it?

Reactions: 1
Oh I’m so glad I found this site! Alex has always wound me up.
I met her about 6 years ago at a press event I was running and she was the most boring person I’ve ever had to sit through a dinner with, all she did was bang on about how poor she was and how she saves money by being ‘frugal’. She said all of this while scoffing free food and drinking free wine, she then trotted off home with her goodie bag of free press samples and into a waiting cab supplied by our brand and taken home. I then had to pack up the event, get everything back to the office and then get a night bus home as I was so skint I only had about £10 left until pay day. After that I thought she was the biggest wanker and tried my best to avoid the boring bastard.
Got a mate who knows someone who did PR for her a couple of years back and apparently her and husband dearest are mortgaged up to their eyeballs so not the best person to take money advice from.
Hahah take comfort that you have £10 left while she has £2 left in her bank account until pay day.

I read on her blog that she made twice the profit when she sold her first flat, I don’t know how she can still claim to be ‘frugal’. I agreed with what you say that they might took up a huge mortgage in order to afford where they are now, ‘frugal’ doesn’t mean ‘financial responsible’

Just while we are on this topic, I love love love thefinancialdiet is USA based but still relevant

Last edited:
‘Interesting- she has said several times she hates wine and doesn’t drink it and says it was because it was so expensive to drink when out when she was younger that she never got into it?’

wine, beer, champagne, cocktails...I cant recall exactly what she was drinking, that wasn’t the point I was trying to make.
it’s just very easy to be ‘frugal’ when you don’t have to pay for things was my earlier point. You would be shocked at just how much freebies you can get as press. Although may not be like this now a days but I’ve known certain journalists to get nearly their entire weddings and house contents as ‘press samples’ or as part of their payment.

Reactions: 6
‘Interesting- she has said several times she hates wine and doesn’t drink it and says it was because it was so expensive to drink when out when she was younger that she never got into it?’

wine, beer, champagne, cocktails...I cant recall exactly what she was drinking, that wasn’t the point I was trying to make.
it’s just very easy to be ‘frugal’ when you don’t have to pay for things was my earlier point. You would be shocked at just how much freebies you can get as press. Although may not be like this now a days but I’ve known certain journalists to get nearly their entire weddings and house contents as ‘press samples’ or as part of their payment.
That doesn’t surprise me at all....living the #gifted life while telling people how to save a few quid in Lidl doesn’t really add up for me. She’s obviously moving away from the frugal angle, if she wanted to keep pushing that she’d surely have kept all the followers on that rather than moving across to a new account with a 1/10th of the following. More freebies to be had with the main account

Reactions: 3
She has become so snappy about people asking her questions about the content SHE posts. Telling people to google it is a bit mad when she is advertising something

Reactions: 5
She has become so snappy about people asking her questions about the content SHE posts. Telling people to google it is a bit mad when she is advertising something
And putting “easier” in inverted commas. She may as well have put an eye roll emoji at the end.

Reactions: 3
haha yes, she is a bit, but remember you must google it with ‘the frugality’, go to her blog then follow the #aff links! 🙄

I do agree everyone’s got a budget and everyone on some level is saving somewhere so we can splurge somewhere else that matters more to us.

I hadn’t realised before this thread that she was privately educated, and i think that explains a lot. I had an ‘internship’/‘work experience’ (worked for free for a month, minus travel expenses and they paid a few quid a day as lunch money) at a beauty company that is very well known in the uk, privately owned, and I was shocked to find there were not more people behind the brand when I got there; less than 10 people at the time. I applied for a Graduate/entry level job which opened up as i arrived there too, and realised one afternoon that they were going through CVs for the job and were basically only putting cvs into the interview pile if the people (women) went to private school, especially if it was one that the existing staff themselves went to or knew someone that did. They didn’t know the applicants but wanted to make sure they were ‘like them’, but also wanted to makes sure they had the same kind of contacts as they did. Needless to say I didn’t get interviewed for the job or really want it after that but it did put me off that industry.

My point is that that world is so cliquey and so about who you know or might know (I know it’s changed a little in the last 6 years but it still operates very like that, but more normal instagrammers are changing the makeup of that pr/press world a lot). So Alex clearly has the education, the contacts and the skills but not the budget that a lot of her peers and school friends had, and her idea of being frugal is keeping up with those sort of people as ‘the Jones‘. When she’s getting the look for less her idea of the budgets people have are really removed from a lot of people’s reality, and it’s easy to think you’re being frugal when she is compared to her peers. She isn’t compared to most of the people a lot of us compare ourselves too. I guess she is running a slightly aspirational blog and needs to keep it that way for engagement, if we don’t want some of what she owns she can’t make a living out of it which is the only reason she’s sharing. She obviously doesn’t like the attention really.

Reactions: 6
She refuses to acknowledge how her freebies mean she need to be truly ‘frugal’.

Being gifted clothes, home wear, beauty products and food means that she has additional budget to others. And if you are being ‘treated’ to luxury skinny for free (such a Elizabeth Arden) then it makes the trips to budget supermarkets a bit more palatable.

What Alex has never had to do is live frugally for years, and within than having minimal treats and certainly nothing luxurious. Being frugal and then still only being able to get supermarket shower gel despite working hard to budget is what I’m talking about.

Lecturing the masses on saving but getting a free fruit and veg box and a free holiday is laughable

• Haha
Reactions: 7
She refuses to acknowledge how her freebies mean she need to be truly ‘frugal’.

Being gifted clothes, home wear, beauty products and food means that she has additional budget to others. And if you are being ‘treated’ to luxury skinny for free (such a Elizabeth Arden) then it makes the trips to budget supermarkets a bit more palatable.

What Alex has never had to do is live frugally for years, and within than having minimal treats and certainly nothing luxurious. Being frugal and then still only being able to get supermarket shower gel despite working hard to budget is what I’m talking about.

Lecturing the masses on saving but getting a free fruit and veg box and a free holiday is laughable
(y) (y) 🙌🙌🙌 like them all, telling us how to budget blah blah but getting sent Hello Fresh/ veg box for free....

Reactions: 2
(y) (y) 🙌🙌🙌 like them all, telling us how to budget blah blah but getting sent Hello Fresh/ veg box for free....
The free fruit and veg box winds me up more than it should, she’s all look at us we only spend £24 a week on shopping (although I can still never fathom what they eat or what Peggy gets fed...) but then add that they use their free veg box which is £18 a week, then the meal planner will have one or both if them at events a couple of times a week, so free lunch/dinner on those days....so in reality her £24 shop is would actually be nearer £60 if they were actually paying for everything....still quite low compared to some but definitely not low....we’re not budgeting and I can spend less than that on a weeks food for two adults (who eat, meat, fresh veg and about double the portions they do)
I really wish she’d give it a rest with the smug food bills, that don’t tell the real story

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Ok well the gap advert was so boring, and the shirt barely fits over her bump, don’t get me started on the popping noise when the words appear 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.