The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #10 No wonder she’s absolutely minted, she’s selling her freebies on Vinted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve not seen group subscriptions before, but I don’t really spend much time on Substack. It’s a shame she’s not offering a free trial as I am a bit curious to see what BS justification she has for giving up her frugality USP. Because we know she was never that frugal to begin with!

Reactions: 6
Alex’s newsletter is so low effort and trite.

Erica Davies has a new newsletter too which is far better ‘value’ and wider-ranging for a free newsletter. She also explains how she had chosen the items she features much better - Alex rather has the tone of ‘here are three things I saw as I gallumphed through shops’.

I may have reached the point that I’m not even wanting to give Alex a snark follow.

Reactions: 12
I did chuckle when I saw it, absolutely zero effort, two of the three things she’d recommended have sold out, so all it actually is is a rouse to get the click pennies. And now monthly, she’ll have even more of a cheek claiming she’s busy if that’s what she’s throwing out. I’m assuming it’s deliberately shite to try to get you to subscribe but had the opposite effect for me and I hit the unsubscribe button. I trust you’ll all keep me suitable updated of her next quality offering 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Also, The Rue seems a fairly uninspiring name. No doubt her paid subscribers will Rue the day they ever forked out £50 for monthly nonsense from her!

• Haha
Does anyone actually pay for Substack subscriptions? I've yet to find one newsletter I'm happy to fork out £5 a month for - they just seem incredibly poor value for money - even for content I actually like.

Reactions: 9
Just seems a random way to go in a cost of living crisis? Surely she’d be better sticking to the old weekly format and getting the aff link clicks?
For £5 a month I can get a copy of woman’s health (cheaper on a subscription) and I’m sure I’d find that a lot better value
Shall we all chip in and subscribe for a month 😂

Reactions: 6
They all have a staggeringly high impression of their own importance. I can't think of any influencer whose content I find compelling enough to make me shell out. They're all doing it too - how much capacity do they think there is for people to pay? At one time I probably received 8-10 regular influencer newsletters -they're all now moving to paid models. Obv nobody is going to subscribe to that many substacks so I suspect their numbers will be teeny 🤷‍♀️. There has been some chat about it on the Anna Edit thread, somebody linked an interesting post from BoF.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think substack itself will struggle as a business model unless they go to some form of micropayments like pennies per read - we’re used to free article content, and if you benchmark the cost versus goods against any other form of media the value is so poor! A new release hard back would be ~£16, streaming services with tons of content ~£10, patreons rammed with content £4-15 and even that is verging on the same problem substack would have! But why would anyone pay £5 for one newsletter from one creator? She’s not a subject matter expert and not remotely aspirational so she can’t even market it as a cool girls club situ.

I pay a subscription for a coupe of hyperlocal independent news sites, but it’s very clear to see what my money is paying for and I appreciate the research that goes into providing long form journalism and stories that rarely make it into the Evening News. ETA it’s about £12 for both per month, with a twice weekly output. Alex could never.

Influencer newsletters which will then also try and flog aff links? No thanks

Reactions: 7
I just don't understand why substack don't do a monthly subscription model where you can choose say 3-5 substacks for £5 and swap in and out. I would pay for that and be much more inclined to give someone a go.

Thread title suggestion: the Frugality no more, now she's The Rue, every day's an excuse to buy something new

Might be too long? Not sure of word limits!

Reactions: 16
Alex ‘agreed to go to a black tie event’.
I wonder if the hosts regret inviting her.
Will she bring a couple of Tiger candles as a present for the hosts? And she’s being dramatic - it’s been drizzling on and off in north London all day but nothing that qualifies as a downpour 🙄

Reactions: 10
I also wonder what justification she will provide for dropping "the Frugality" when we all know its down to us and some of her followers pointing out:
- fundamental flaws in relation to some of her "frugal tips" (think TV licence post and "weekly" food shop receipt)
And
- how her huge consumption and spending habits totally misalign with her brand

• Heart
Alex waffling on in the Sezane reel - she doesn't look good, and it's jeans and a sweatshirt so not sure how 1) she can waffle so much about it and 2) still look bad. Her favourite buzz word of 'elevate' of course makes an appearance.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.