The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeeessss.

I would think WTF if my child came home from birthday party with a secondhand book. It just screams virtual signalling. There’s a time and place for recycled items and I don’t feel gifts from party guests or favours to party guests is it.

I would, however, be very impressed if my child came home with a book that I could see was purchased from an independent book shop. (My local bookshop puts a sticker with their contact details on the back.)

There’s nothing better than a brand new book to encourage the joys of reading.
It’s difficult to write this comment because of the context of these two being weird as per - but ignoring them I’d disagree with this? I grew up poor af and only had new books when my Nan bought me them on the two or three occasions she came to England… I don’t think a book needs to be new for a child to engage with it or to encourage them to be an avid reader, and even though my child is growing up privileged we’ll still make use of our local library and second hand books (she already has a few) as it doesn’t matter at the end of the day it’s the #content and experiences kids engage with not price tags. I used to love looking at all the borrowed dates stamped on the front (doubt they still do this?) and as I got older requesting books in and feeling like a Queen when they came in it’s something I really look back on fondly despite a pretty tit childhood. Reading isn’t and should never be something that is limited to kids whose parents have a disposable income or are aware or willing to invest in books for them.

Where it’s made difficult is the context of this thread... Idk what these two are up to, they’re really bizarre MC born and raised rich kids who’ve grown into mediocre low achieving adults and are trying to adjust accordingly by looks of things? It’s all very bizarre to witness. He seems like dead weight idk why he’s not working?

• Heart
Reactions: 28
In principle the idea of second hand books as party bag gifts is a good one. It’s just a bit irritating with these two when they (or rather Alex) wang on about it all week and turn it into one big virtue signal.

Where it’s made difficult is the context of this thread... Idk what these two are up to, they’re really bizarre MC born and raised rich kids who’ve grown into mediocre low achieving adults and are trying to adjust accordingly by looks of things? It’s all very bizarre to witness. He seems like dead weight idk why he’s not working?
This sums them up! I always thought Chris must freelance and do other jobs whilst working for Alex on the side, but I don’t actually think that is the case. Despite Alex’s protestations about how overworked she is, they’re both cruising on easy street.

Reactions: 9
She’s just so smug about certain things, she’s been on about those second hand books for the best part of a week - like she’s some kind of eco goddess, yet next week she will continue to buy 30 bits of tat from stores like Tiger. Make it make sense!

Reactions: 17
She’s just so smug about certain things, she’s been on about those second hand books for the best part of a week - like she’s some kind of eco goddess, yet next week she will continue to buy 30 bits of tat from stores like Tiger. Make it make sense!
Oh 10000% on this. I was thinking about it as I cleaned the kitchen tonight lol and I thought maybe posho kids having second hand stuff would be a good thing for poor kids cos it normalises it? But it won’t, it’ll just mean their parents have even more money to spend on the superficial bits that widens the gulf. Like the money saved on books or gift bags will just go on Instagrammable Meri Meri tat.

Reactions: 8
Oh 10000% on this. I was thinking about it as I cleaned the kitchen tonight lol and I thought maybe posho kids having second hand stuff would be a good thing for poor kids cos it normalises it? But it won’t, it’ll just mean their parents have even more money to spend on the superficial bits that widens the gulf. Like the money saved on books or gift bags will just go on Instagrammable Meri Meri tat.
It really won’t normalise reading secondhand books. The parents of Peggy’s MC party guests won’t suddenly see the light to visit a charity store or library. They either already do or they’ll feel shamed and irritated by Alex’s virtue signalling.

I have no problem with secondhand and hand me down toys, books and clothing. But I think it’s okay once a year at a birthday party to enjoy new things. Independent booksellers need all the support we can give them. So do independent toy stores for that matter.

Reactions: 4
Yeeessss.

I would think WTF if my child came home from birthday party with a secondhand book. It just screams virtual signalling. There’s a time and place for recycled items and I don’t feel gifts from party guests or favours to party guests is it.

I would, however, be very impressed if my child came home with a book that I could see was purchased from an independent book shop. (My local bookshop puts a sticker with their contact details on the back.)

There’s nothing better than a brand new book to encourage the joys of reading.
I think it’s a really good way of lowering the expectations around how much parents should spend on things like party bags though, realistically adding a tenner book from an indie bookshop is just unattainable for most parents. One that costs a quid and helps a charity is a really good idea to me.

Irrespective of what we speculate about Alex’s finances (mainly that she pretends to be poor whilst being propped up massively by parents money and a jammy job) she will undoubtedly have a lot of followers who are having to watch their pennies and so swaps like this are actually sensible, and reduce the stigma of picking second hand stuff up etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Can we just discuss the party food….how much ham and cheese did they buy? Is that all they gave them? A ham/cheese sandwich 🤷🏻‍♀️And does it really need to be on the planner every day

• Haha
Reactions: 13
The meal plan, WTAF. Does the husband need to be told what to eat for every meal maybe? So weird and the weirdest part is that some lunches are ‘ham & cheese sandwiches’ and some are ‘ham & cheese toasties’ 🤯 and then on Saturday we go WILD and have a ham & cheese omelette 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 11
The meal plan, WTAF. Does the husband need to be told what to eat for every meal maybe? So weird and the weirdest part is that some lunches are ‘ham & cheese sandwiches’ and some are ‘ham & cheese toasties’ 🤯 and then on Saturday we go WILD and have a ham & cheese omelette 😭
Surprised she didn’t write gastropub ham and cheese sandwich because it’s being served with Pringles

• Haha
But what if you fancy a ham & cheese toastie rather than a hand and cheese sandwich? 😂
That is permitted but only if you firmly cross out out ham & cheese sandwich and write in ham & cheese toastie 🤭 Don’t forget to write in ‘+ spring onions’ if you are having those.

Also just realised Wednesdays lunch is a ham sandwich, no cheese that day 🤯🤯🤯

I would say this is top drawer trolling but I think this really is how odd they are? If I wrote a meal plan like that my husband would be genuinely concerned about my mental state & vice versa.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Since when have crisps = gastropub?

does that mean my Sainsbury’s meal deal is actually a gastropub feed?

Reactions: 3
Surely they’ll get scurvy if they carry on eating so much sugary bread, ham and cheese? Or at least raised cholesterol? Never seen such weird eating habits from grown adults

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’ll start by saying I hate waste, very little goes in my bin but eating 5 days old sandwiches I don’t think it’s safe?
If she had so many leftovers why didn’t she share some with the guests / relatives?
Little of what she does makes sense to me

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’ll start by saying I hate waste, very little goes in my bin but eating 5 days old sandwiches I don’t think it’s safe?
If she had so many leftovers why didn’t she share some with the guests / relatives?
Little of what she does makes sense to me
Yeah it’s so weird - is the ham packaged because most cold meats it says eat within two days. Maybe they have unopened packets but it’s so odd and just writing it down and showing the internet is so insanely weird.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I unfollowed ages ago but dipped back in today. WTAF is her obsession with gifting candles? And not even nice smelly ones! And please stop being so sanctimonious about meal planning when you are eating like a 3 year old for most of your meals!

Ok, rant over. That’ll teach me for thinking ‘I wonder what Alex is up to these days?’

I just don’t understand how they can’t spring for a bag of lettuce or mixed leaf. Or even a tomato. These white sandwiches (which I do like sometimes) are so basic

Reactions: 2
She’s started declaring her actual Ads as ads which is gr8, but gifts are also ads? For profit companies aren’t sentient beings sending you gifts because they love you, it’s because they want you to advertise them on ur platform……….. therefore it’s an ad hun!

Reactions: 5
I just don’t understand how they can’t spring for a bag of lettuce or mixed leaf. Or even a tomato. These white sandwiches (which I do like sometimes) are so basic
If it’s not in the gifted oddbox im guessing they dont have it. They do sometimes go wild and have spring onion though
My question is always what do the kids eat?! I can’t imagine their diet is wonderful and then she complains they’re always ill

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.