The DisUnplugged #3 Cruising on Fumes by nightmaresunlimitedtravel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pete should take a chunk of money out of his 'ugly clothing budget' and get some intense therapy.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don't even know what to say about that story Sean. If it were an episode of a sitcom I wouldn't believe it. I have to admit the more I've learned about the entire situation there with Pete and so much of the staff the less I can enjoy even the rare good shows.

I have to wonder how John remains in business with him. I imagine it would be hard to unwind the entire enterprise now but he seems so normal and not only stayed in business with a crazy narcissist for 20+ years but managed to date him and get out apparently unscathed.

Is there any reason Corey and/or Julie aren't on the show as often? Is it just life is too busy for them with the kids or have they grown tired of the drama. I wish at least Corey was on more often. The last show would have been the perfect lineup with Corey also there.

I haven’t seen her but I’ll tell her the whole story if she wants to hear it.
Here's her YouTube channel. I think if she knew your story with Pete, she would analyze the f*** out of him.

She does these segments called "Am I the A**hole?" where people write in with their experiences with narcissistic abuse. You should write in. I'd be so curious to hear her take of this situation.

Reactions: 2
I don't even know what to say about that story Sean. If it were an episode of a sitcom I wouldn't believe it. I have to admit the more I've learned about the entire situation there with Pete and so much of the staff the less I can enjoy even the rare good shows.

I have to wonder how John remains in business with him. I imagine it would be hard to unwind the entire enterprise now but he seems so normal and not only stayed in business with a crazy narcissist for 20+ years but managed to date him and get out apparently unscathed.

Is there any reason Corey and/or Julie aren't on the show as often? Is it just life is too busy for them with the kids or have they grown tired of the drama. I wish at least Corey was on more often. The last show would have been the perfect lineup with Corey also there.
John is a nice guy. I think he just has his thing over with Dreams. Pete was essentially drunk for most of it rising and he makes a good living off of it and doesn’t have to deal with Pete. He’s fine with pete getting his way 90% of the time so the few times he’s does buck Pete, he usually wins out which is usually about company money and spending.

I definitely wasn't as good to John/Kevin as I could've been or should've been. Pete wanted me to be an agent because most of the agents dont live in Florida and those that do, dont like being on camera so he wanted someone that the audience already knew a bit and that would be an on camera presence for the travel agency, but it really forced Johns hand and put Pete in a lot closer awareness of things at Dreams than John would've probably liked. Nothing 'bad' was happening, but you don't want Pete putting a spotlight on your part of a company because he is going to demand a lot of changes with no knowledge of why things are the way they are. When things were happening, I went back to Pete and not John and then Pete would get involved and it would cause problems. That wasn't fair to John, but as Pete would ask me about Dreams and how I was doing, I would vent frustrations. There are things I do still feel justified about, number 1 being about which agent is paid based on the bookings, but I was wrong a lot too. I pushed for changes that I genuinely thought would be good but I was also entering a 20 year old company with no experience and 'Norma Rae-ing' myself around the place with no sense of the whole story and that obviously didn't make me very liked, which I did deserve, I went about the changes in a bad way. So, when I would make a sensible suggestion it was met with a hard no. For example, when someone requests info for WDW, the clients have to enter each travelers name and age, Disney only needs the age for knowing which ticket age bracket to do. With DCL, Disney requires the names and DOB for everyone and its is required at the time of booking. However, Dreams form only included the names and asked people to just list birthdates for everyone in the notes below. People would often not do that or would put like 65,63,47,49,7,6,6,5,5 and Im like, ok I don't know who each of those are for and it needs to be the actual date, not the number. This could easily be solved on the form by requiring people to choose a date off calendars and thats an easy plug-in to do. But it made the agents have to call and track down the person who requested and often by the time we got a response back again, they got annoyed and went to Disney directly, or the room they wanted was gone or especially if it was a release day, we would just have to do TBA for everything and make stuff up and then call Disney to change it (couldn't be done online) and we all know how awful it is to call Disney. So, things like this were easy fixes but Id pretty much burned my bridges with John very early on and I also was getting Pete up in his business, so that was on me. I also had issues with going to the AbD form and it says to email Kevin directly, so it felt like nepotism kinda stuff because Kevin would essentially get all the AbDs as 'direct requests' because the emails went to him. However, I didn't realize that back when AbD was really struggling early on, Kevin was the agent who took on that work load years ago to really build that product with Disney and had really earned his email as being 'the email' but I entered the middle of the story and was unfair to him because I didn't know the hard work he had invested, I just saw that he was seemingly getting better treatment than the other agents because he was with John. So, I was unknowingly immature and handled everything badly.

I think Julie is just busy and Corey just got burnt out. I think he has a lot on his plate and being on the show was just another hurdle along with having to do like all the backend stuff with the sites and Corey does a lot with the content team as well. So, this was just another thing on top of all that.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Wait, are you telling me that every AbD goes to Kevin? I did always find it odd that he gave his email directly on the show instead of just the dreams messages but thought maybe that was just for the trips they also go on.

Whether he did a lot of work in the past or not it is totally shady to take all the high commission AbD business for himself.

Wait, are you telling me that every AbD goes to Kevin? I did always find it odd that he gave his email directly on the show instead of just the dreams messages but thought maybe that was just for the trips they also go on.

Whether he did a lot of work in the past or not it is totally shady to take all the high commission AbD business for himself.
That Louis Vuitton budget has to come from somewhere...

• Haha
Reactions: 2
That was another thing that turned me off about the live shows. Kevin pushing ABD hard and when people in the comments would say the trips are unaffordable Kevin would come back with a snide remark as if there was something wrong with the “little people” who didn’t have tens of thousands to spend on a trip. Kevin and John should do a show on how much of a discount they get for being travel agents while claiming it as a business expense too and how many trips they have been hosted on

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Can confirm the Charles thing. I don’t remember what length I went into previously. Pete and Charles do not speak after the fallout. Also, I don’t think he was dating Pete’s niece. I met her and don’t recall Pete ever saying he was related to h. I’ve met most of Pete’s family and Michelle (I think was her name) separately but she was Pete’s personal chef but that was after her and Charles got together.

Charles was really hated by the fans at first but then he made this long article about growing into a Disney fan and public view changed almost overnight. I always liked Charles as we had very similar self-deprecating humor and had messy backgrounds, he just felt mine was much worse than his and unforgivable. I felt, he of all people, should understand someone in a desperate situation trying to turn it around and better their life but he really wanted to die on that hill. The problem of ‘Sean’ grew and grew since Charles lived with Pete and it just became awkward. (Also I’m certain that Charles was getting a LOT of hot takes from Pete that likely weren’t true but he really believed anything Pete said as gospel so I couldn’t convince him otherwise). When Pete was angry he would say I was in it for money and wanted to be in the spotlight and the star of the DIS (lol) but then when he calmed down and was fine, I was the greatest thing ever.

I think it’s like when you fight with a friend and then tell your mom about it but then you work things out with the friend but the mom still hates them, even though there was likely 2 sides to the story but she’s gonna side with her kid.

This was extremely compounded when politics got involved. Pete and Charles aligned pretty close in political views and I am not as far to one side as they are. Charles was very adamant that people who did not agree with his views in (relative) lock step were not morally good . Pete on the other hand will just name call and scream over you until you stop talking if he disagrees. I’m more calm like Charles but really don’t care what peoples views are, I just like hearing all sides. Pete finally made a ‘no politics’ policy because he and Charles just couldn’t cope and Charles was disgusted that Pete would be with a right wing nut job. Which I don’t believe I am, I’m not even registered to a party at all and don’t vote strictly one party. It’s silly this played such a big role in things but it did for whatever reason with him and his view of me and the tension for him and Pete.
In January of 2019, I went on vacation to New Jersey and I was flying back on whatever day Cher was in Orlando (John and Kevin had gotten a box thing and invited some DIS people and friends to go). I flew home, landed and everything was fine. When I got to Pete’s he was very angry with me, I asked what was wrong and he said it was ‘incredibly disrespectful’ (this is his favorite term of affection towards me along with Jethro, Trailer Trash, bleep, and snowflake) of me to fly back on the same morning as the evening concert because if it had been delayed I might have missed it. I said I didn’t agree and thought that me taking the earliest flight possible and landing 6 solid hours before the concert was fine and nothing happened so ‘no harm no foul’ but he didn’t agree and also didn’t voice this before my trip. He didn’t speak to me the entire concert and then told me I wasn’t welcome on the San Juan Disney sailing that was happening the following week and that he wanted me to look for another job because he couldn’t stand my ‘fly by the seat of my pants ways’ and I said ok, I’d start looking the next day. The next day I also ran Pete’s credit card for $3000 to pay for the property taxes on my house. John did not want me hired on as an employee (there was no job vacancy, so why hire me? Fair point) and all payments come through Dreams.

When Pete wants a new employee but John says ‘no’ - Pete pays them personally through PayPal or buys them things in the value of the payment until John sees they are some benefit and relents on opening a new position.
Part of my pay was having some of my bills paid for like my property taxes (since my house was paid for it could be paid in one lump payment in the year and Pete would get delta points towards maintaining his diamond status by using his card so I did that kind of thing where I could since it helped out and it’s money I owed anyway) and Pete said for me to just make one lump some as part of my pay, so I did. He flipped out and accused me of stealing and I told him I didn’t and that he told me to do it back in November when it was due and I forgot about it until January. I offered to send him the money back if he didn’t feel I was owed that money and he just told me to enjoy it because it was the last money I’d steal from him and that he never wanted to speak to me again and all that. I did regret doing it because I remembered after the fight and Pete changes his view based on his feelings in the moment and it needed to be paid and felt his view might change on his offer, but it was also promised and I didn’t pay it myself all year, based on that promise and it was part of my compensation.
Pete went on his cruise and of course told everyone that I was a thief and that I randomly stole thousands of dollars from him when he told me to look for another job and Charles was very upset. When Pete got back he calmed down and apologized to me about the concert and everything. Charles hated me after the incident and Pete got mad at him for being mad at me. I told Pete that I understood why his disdain for me escalated because he feels I wronged his friend, even though Pete was now saying I didn’t Charles still felt that I did. And I’m sure people will have strong views on the ethics behind my choice here but Charles was trying to be a good friend to Pete.
Things between Pete and I improved but we did not get back together though I did return to work. He was out in California with Charles and my dad got moved to hospice care so I was upset and I called Pete and he talked me through that since his dad and sister had died and then like the next day my dog escaped out of my backyard fence and was killed by a car. I was devastated and I was just sitting in my house with her and didn’t know what to do and I called Pete. After the call (from what I was told by Pete) that Charles got very mad at him for showing me empathy with these events and that I essentially was getting what I deserved (it’s Pete so it might not have actually been this cold of a response) but Pete yelled back at charles (I imagine these were incredibly below the belt Jabs, If it’s anything like what I received from Pete on a regular basis) and Charles went back to the hotel, packed his bags and disappeared and never came back as far as I know.
He did have a write up he was supposed to do about the Wonder out of San Juan because he was the content writer that went, Jackie reached outand got him to complete the write ups because he had been paid for them and took the content writer spot on that cruise so he was screwing her over since she was now Basically alone on content and didn’t go on the sailing. He did complete the job and that’s the last I knew of him.
I hope he’s doing well and was able to enjoy staying out of the toxicity of the whole experience. I truly think he’s just an ultra loyal friend who gave his unwavering support to the wrong person and I imagine he realized finally that it wouldn’t get better and there was nothing he could do but he also couldn’t sit back and watch things happen when Pete and I inevitably got back together.
Thanks for your insight. I thought Pete referred to the chef as his niece but I guess I was wrong. I did enjoy Charles’ contributions for the most part as he had a different style than many of the other contributors. I know he had a lot of issues and being in an environment like that probably wasn’t the best thing for him.

Reactions: 1
Thanks for your insight. I thought Pete referred to the chef as his niece but I guess I was wrong. I did enjoy Charles’ contributions for the most part as he had a different style than many of the other contributors. I know he had a lot of issues and being in an environment like that probably wasn’t the best thing for him.
Yeah, I can say that I have it on pretty good authority that Charles definitely departed for the betterment of his mental health. I can imagine working for someone like Pete to take a toll on it.

Reactions: 3
Can confirm the Charles thing. I don’t remember what length I went into previously. Pete and Charles do not speak after the fallout. Also, I don’t think he was dating Pete’s niece. I met her and don’t recall Pete ever saying he was related to h. I’ve met most of Pete’s family and Michelle (I think was her name) separately but she was Pete’s personal chef but that was after her and Charles got together.

Charles was really hated by the fans at first but then he made this long article about growing into a Disney fan and public view changed almost overnight. I always liked Charles as we had very similar self-deprecating humor and had messy backgrounds, he just felt mine was much worse than his and unforgivable. I felt, he of all people, should understand someone in a desperate situation trying to turn it around and better their life but he really wanted to die on that hill. The problem of ‘Sean’ grew and grew since Charles lived with Pete and it just became awkward. (Also I’m certain that Charles was getting a LOT of hot takes from Pete that likely weren’t true but he really believed anything Pete said as gospel so I couldn’t convince him otherwise). When Pete was angry he would say I was in it for money and wanted to be in the spotlight and the star of the DIS (lol) but then when he calmed down and was fine, I was the greatest thing ever.

I think it’s like when you fight with a friend and then tell your mom about it but then you work things out with the friend but the mom still hates them, even though there was likely 2 sides to the story but she’s gonna side with her kid.

This was extremely compounded when politics got involved. Pete and Charles aligned pretty close in political views and I am not as far to one side as they are. Charles was very adamant that people who did not agree with his views in (relative) lock step were not morally good . Pete on the other hand will just name call and scream over you until you stop talking if he disagrees. I’m more calm like Charles but really don’t care what peoples views are, I just like hearing all sides. Pete finally made a ‘no politics’ policy because he and Charles just couldn’t cope and Charles was disgusted that Pete would be with a right wing nut job. Which I don’t believe I am, I’m not even registered to a party at all and don’t vote strictly one party. It’s silly this played such a big role in things but it did for whatever reason with him and his view of me and the tension for him and Pete.
In January of 2019, I went on vacation to New Jersey and I was flying back on whatever day Cher was in Orlando (John and Kevin had gotten a box thing and invited some DIS people and friends to go). I flew home, landed and everything was fine. When I got to Pete’s he was very angry with me, I asked what was wrong and he said it was ‘incredibly disrespectful’ (this is his favorite term of affection towards me along with Jethro, Trailer Trash, bleep, and snowflake) of me to fly back on the same morning as the evening concert because if it had been delayed I might have missed it. I said I didn’t agree and thought that me taking the earliest flight possible and landing 6 solid hours before the concert was fine and nothing happened so ‘no harm no foul’ but he didn’t agree and also didn’t voice this before my trip. He didn’t speak to me the entire concert and then told me I wasn’t welcome on the San Juan Disney sailing that was happening the following week and that he wanted me to look for another job because he couldn’t stand my ‘fly by the seat of my pants ways’ and I said ok, I’d start looking the next day. The next day I also ran Pete’s credit card for $3000 to pay for the property taxes on my house. John did not want me hired on as an employee (there was no job vacancy, so why hire me? Fair point) and all payments come through Dreams.

When Pete wants a new employee but John says ‘no’ - Pete pays them personally through PayPal or buys them things in the value of the payment until John sees they are some benefit and relents on opening a new position.
Part of my pay was having some of my bills paid for like my property taxes (since my house was paid for it could be paid in one lump payment in the year and Pete would get delta points towards maintaining his diamond status by using his card so I did that kind of thing where I could since it helped out and it’s money I owed anyway) and Pete said for me to just make one lump some as part of my pay, so I did. He flipped out and accused me of stealing and I told him I didn’t and that he told me to do it back in November when it was due and I forgot about it until January. I offered to send him the money back if he didn’t feel I was owed that money and he just told me to enjoy it because it was the last money I’d steal from him and that he never wanted to speak to me again and all that. I did regret doing it because I remembered after the fight and Pete changes his view based on his feelings in the moment and it needed to be paid and felt his view might change on his offer, but it was also promised and I didn’t pay it myself all year, based on that promise and it was part of my compensation.
Pete went on his cruise and of course told everyone that I was a thief and that I randomly stole thousands of dollars from him when he told me to look for another job and Charles was very upset. When Pete got back he calmed down and apologized to me about the concert and everything. Charles hated me after the incident and Pete got mad at him for being mad at me. I told Pete that I understood why his disdain for me escalated because he feels I wronged his friend, even though Pete was now saying I didn’t Charles still felt that I did. And I’m sure people will have strong views on the ethics behind my choice here but Charles was trying to be a good friend to Pete.
Things between Pete and I improved but we did not get back together though I did return to work. He was out in California with Charles and my dad got moved to hospice care so I was upset and I called Pete and he talked me through that since his dad and sister had died and then like the next day my dog escaped out of my backyard fence and was killed by a car. I was devastated and I was just sitting in my house with her and didn’t know what to do and I called Pete. After the call (from what I was told by Pete) that Charles got very mad at him for showing me empathy with these events and that I essentially was getting what I deserved (it’s Pete so it might not have actually been this cold of a response) but Pete yelled back at charles (I imagine these were incredibly below the belt Jabs, If it’s anything like what I received from Pete on a regular basis) and Charles went back to the hotel, packed his bags and disappeared and never came back as far as I know.
He did have a write up he was supposed to do about the Wonder out of San Juan because he was the content writer that went, Jackie reached outand got him to complete the write ups because he had been paid for them and took the content writer spot on that cruise so he was screwing her over since she was now Basically alone on content and didn’t go on the sailing. He did complete the job and that’s the last I knew of him.
I hope he’s doing well and was able to enjoy staying out of the toxicity of the whole experience. I truly think he’s just an ultra loyal friend who gave his unwavering support to the wrong person and I imagine he realized finally that it wouldn’t get better and there was nothing he could do but he also couldn’t sit back and watch things happen when Pete and I inevitably got back together.
Thank you Sean for sharing such illuminating insight into Pete’s behavior. Some of this behavior definitely shines through even his public persona.

Question, how in the world is the rest of the team dealing with such a loose cannon? How can John, for example, be business partners with this? How can Craig bet creating a family on a job this unstable? The rest of the team all seem like decent people so its hard to understand.

Sean, thank you for explaining the Charles situation. I remember that article where he described an incredibly abusive childhood. It broke my heart. He’s such a gifted writer. I guess Pete just expected him to accept being screamed at and abused, but he’d lived through that already.

Im glad he prioritised his mental health.

Reactions: 11
Well, it’s finally happened. I turned the show on to listen to it (I was in a work meeting when it was live) and saw that Pete was hosting and said “nope”. I’m pretty much over it when it comes to Pete being around. Of course, I’ve been finding the show more enjoyable whenever he’s been absent as of late.

I miss the Off the Rails lineup of Craig, Ryno, Deni and Jackie. That was the sweet spot for me.

Also, when the time comes:
“This week on ‘As Walt Disney World Turns’…”

Reactions: 7
I'm a bit late on this - but I definitely did not like Charles at first. As time went on, he really grew on me and he became arguably my favorite of the team. I was really upset when he disappeared!

Can you image if Pete ever got started with plastic surgery. With his fashion choices he’s headed that way. He will become the next Pete Burns

I'm a bit late on this - but I definitely did not like Charles at first. As time went on, he really grew on me and he became arguably my favorite of the team. I was really upset when he disappeared!
Literally same. I was very judgmental of Charles at first. I even remember his first few in park videos he appeared in he just stood in the back with his sunglasses on, arms crossed, and a douchey smug look on his face. Or during a dining review (jolly holiday I think) one time he sat by himself at the table next to them, fully on camera, just angrily staring off into the distance. Wasn't my favorite.
Then, just like Sean said, everyone (including me) just changed their opinion overnight 😂

@The Mando any insight into Oliver? Im unsure if you have spoken about him before, or if you two even worked together. He seemed to disappear super quickly with no explanation.

Reactions: 6
@The Mando what’s the deal with Craig? I think we got all the information on everyone except for Craig. So he accuses people of stealing? Didn’t someone say he did the same to JennyLynn?

Speaking of JennyLynn, I though she was one of the best additions to the podcast. For years the show was missing the perspective of someone with kids that was a true Disney fan. However, I could tell pretty quick that she wouldn't last long. She didn't seem at all intimidated by Pete. I remember one show in particular where they were discussing Black Fish, and her and Pete kind of went at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Was yesterday's show any good? When I saw Ryno I was like uh...then I saw Erica I was like ugh... then Julie came on and I said nope and turned it off.

• Haha
Was yesterday's show any good? When I saw Ryno I was like uh...then I saw Erica I was like ugh... then Julie came on and I said nope and turned it off.
Julie added almost nothing other than Pete saying it wasnt possible that Disney was experiencing supply chain issues and Julie explained to him how wrong he was. Erika mumbled a few closed mouth sentences. Ryno and Craig were ok. Pete was pete..

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.