Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

countesslu

I feel for those that haven't. I know we snark on them a lot (I'm talking about Craig and Ryno in particular), but finding a new job in a specific market isn't easy. I don't think any of us expect them to walk away and work at Target, especially Craig with a really young child. I do think they should branch off and do their own thing. Frankly I'm sick that the profits of all this are still lining John and Kevin's pockets when it's become evident that John is not immune to any of this and likely largely looked away so that his potentially shady accounting practices didn't get found out and so that he could continue to take trips as he pleases.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Rufuscat

Just hearing Kevin's whiny voice puts me off. He can go off on a rant like Pete but without any of the charisma. He's like a demanding 10 year girl who didn't get the birthday present she was expecting & has to complain to everyone for weeks. Kevin, never spend $53 on breakfast, especially when you are already 100 pounds overweight and certainly don't expect the room to be that sympathetic if you didn't like it, we don't care. In fact some of us are probably punching the air (I'm imagining Craig & Ryno doing this). Next time go to McDonalds.

@imjenilynn I think you were able to 'say goodbye' on an episode of the Universal show. How did that come about? Did you ask to do it or did they ask you to do it to try to avoid the criticism of another person leaving without any explanation? Did you see or speak to Pete again after that meeting? If he had to find out from his lawyer that you didn't have a non-compete clause, I'm guessing he threatened to sue you and/or ITM?
Wanted to let you know that I will circle around to this when I have a little more time (so maybe not this week). It is a good question because it will illustrate what happened to people when the queen cried, "Off with their heads!"

With the way people are saying Craig handled Erica's send-off today, though, it looks like he's at least been given the room to change that. I'm so glad to hear it.

• Heart
Hi @imjenilynn , I hope you have this answer, do you know the actual story with Sean Thompson being let go from the Dis? What is the story there? I've always wondered that ever since it happened!
In truth, I don't have first-hand knowledge of Shaun's story. Pete was very quick to isolate him, eliminate him, and sweep the situation under the rug.

Me finding out about Shaun's termination is actually in the pre-roll of one of the episodes. I had been stuck in traffic and made it in time for the show by the skin of my teeth that day. Our audio was already live as I slipped into my seat, looked around the room, and said, "Where's Shaun?" Pete responded very abruptly and a bit curtly, "Shaun is not here." That was it. He didn't say more. The tone said enough.

In my opinion, Shaun was the very best of us. I mean that to the depths of my soul. He was so smart and well-spoken. My personal feeling is that he was the most talented person on the team. Additionally, his heart truly was golden, and he deserved so much better than what he got.

Pete framed him as lazy. He said that Shaun played around too much instead of finishing the development of the Universal Show's site. This was the story the team was given for his departure. I doubt any of us believed it. I know that I didn't.

When Shaun left, he really left. I think a number of us tried to reach out to him in spite of Pete. I know that I did. He didn't always respond, and when he did, it was brief. It was clear that communicating with us was uncomfortable for him (Craig was the exception). And the actual reason for Shaun's departure was kept very tight-lipped. It was a really long time before someone was willing to share what I believe to be the true story. And even then, I was given no detail. This was something no one wanted to talk about.

I am going to tread carefully here because this is not actually my story, and my understanding is that Shaun would like to erase himself from The Dis' history. I want to respect that. In the same breath, you should all know that it is most likely Shaun was fired for being noble and a true friend. I was told that at a time when Dustin seemed to be particularly struggling, Shaun offered support and communicated he would help if Dustin wanted it. When Pete found this out, Shaun was basically done. Pete only waited long enough to dig up a reason he felt he could use to justify getting rid of him.

That is all I will ever say about Shaun in this forum. I'm told he wants his time with The Dis to be forgotten. That doesn't seem possible because his goodness lived large in that cesspool, but I won't be speaking about him again in an attempt to help his story fall away.

Hi @imjenilynn ,

I don't recall, what was the deal with Pete and JL and SeaWorld? Were one of them for SeaWorld and the other person was against them?
The story revolved around the fallout from Blackfish. If I recall this accurately, there was a branch of government that finally succeeded in banning SeaWorld's breeding practices for Orcas. It was one of the big stories that week. Pete ranted that this particular leg of government didn't have the authority to put this into law. I remember him saying something like, "And that is the real issue." Everyone was silent for a second or two. Then I spoke up and said something along the lines of, "Why is that the issue? That's not the issue for me. The issue for me is whether it is morally right to be breeding these creatures in captivity." I think Pete was a little shamed by my response--and that never went well for me off-camera--but it did open the door for the team to more comfortably participate in the discussion.

• Heart

Rufuscat

@imjenilynn don't worry about the length of your posts, I didn't watch The Dis when you were on, but I am enjoying learning about your background and story.
I agree, I love a long read so please carry on with your essays JL. I'm sure a lot of us have had similar experiences in toxic work environments and so we are feeling very satisfied that for once, bullies are being exposed.

Rufuscat

Breaking News: Erica is leaving Dis Unlimited. She's going to be a performer/dancer at WDW.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

tell0tales

JL, I’m so sorry you had to go through all of that. It appeared that you and Panda have or had a good relationship. Did he question what happened with you at the Dis before he joined? Did he just fall for Pete’s superficial showering of gifts, etc also?

LobCheapek

Chatty Member
Agreed. So if I'm interpreting what you're suggesting correctly, JL's hinting revealed 2 pieces of info 1) about Pete's father, that we've discussed a bit, and 2) about similar actions/abuse allegedly done by Pete towards a friend/coworker's child, I noticed she touched on it a bit but didn't provide more detail than that, just speculation, but I think now knowing what we know about #1, it makes #2 have a little more possibility.
And excuse me for assuming/speculating, but Pete has his site dedicated to his father with all of this love and adoration for who we now know to be a predator.. is dedicating the studio to someone else and constantly talking about it for 15 years remembering a friend and being the "good guy"... or is it a show of guilt/needing to 'make up for' hurting/betraying his friend!?
Unless there is some small sentence or two the rest of us misread, you’ve nailed it. Knowing the horrible truths of Dustin and Sean, makes story #1 about Pete’s dad (which we discovered is unfortunately true) lend a LOT of credence to the “hearsay” story #2 potentially involving the Varly family decades ago.

In all of the thinking I’ve done about this myself (and I’m in no way related to or know anyone associated with The Dis personally) that is the logical conclusion I’ve come to with as well about the studio being dedicated to Bob: guilt and narrative manipulation. Pete always has to be the victim in every situation and twist history to benefit himself. Doing nice things to honor his memory absolves him of any actual sins that may exist and makes him look good.
---
Multiple people have already pointed out the second scenario involving Pete for which there are no receipts and brings up a lot of bigger questions.
Jesus H. Christ my dude. If it’s the one regarding the “hearsay story” we’ve all been talking about the past few posts, say it. If it’s something else, then point it out clearly to the rest of the class for those who have missed it.

Last edited:

minimax

Chatty Member
Wanted to let you know that I will circle around to this when I have a little more time (so maybe not this week). It is a good question because it will illustrate what happened to people when the queen cried, "Off with their heads!"

With the way people are saying Craig handled Erica's send-off today, though, it looks like he's at least been given the room to change that. I'm so glad to hear it.
Thanks JL, I so appreciate reading your perspective on everything and it brings even more pieces of the puzzle together. Don't worry about how long a post is, I enjoy the detail as it really provides context for what you went through. My heartfelt gratitude to you for having the courage to come forward and share these moments. All of the revelations so far have been deeply troubling and sad.

One thing I noticed was that much of what you have shared so far has in fact reinforced what Tyler Crouch of the Disneyland DIS has said publicly and it all makes me even more disgusted with those who remain, especially John. Your admission that everyone enabled the toxic behavior and allowed it to persist in a place where no one trusted one another and were scared someone might "out" a persons true feelings to Pete is clearly the glue that kept the awfulness happening for so long.

Looking forward to reading more from you. Your honesty and candor is refreshing.

Loueylouay

VIP Member
If I want Disney news....Mickey Views offers the best and concise news and without ABD plugs.

Disgraceful. Shameful.

Seriously, by not allowing free speech on a monetized platform, especially when it is factual, is censorship at its worst.

@imjenilynn Thanks for saving the screenshots! All of this needs to be added to our wiki.

And "Bad Pink Tink 2.0" please, please, please join us here. :)
No problem. I can be found guilty of theft now because I 💯 am stealing “yikes on bikes” from the one poster and adding it to my vernacular.

Suggestion for the Wiki: It would take some work, but I think it would be helpful to add the thread and maybe the post range as a reference when things are put in the wiki. That way people reading know where they can find the posts pertaining to that part of information.

Last edited:
  • Haha

RescueRanger

It’s really frustrating as a fan of the show to see everything failing and coming to a sad, slow death right in front of our eyes. I’m glad Erica is leaving to do something hopefully she is passionate about but the writing is on the wall for everyone else. I don’t know what the reason is for putting out such limited content. If a travel agency pays your salary, how are you not doing a series on resort tours? I’ll make an assumption that funds for hotel rooms may not be in the cards right now to do tours of but they could highlight resort tours, talk about resort transportation, dining, etc. You know, content someone looking to stay at Disney might be interested in and just so happen to need a travel agent for. I just fail to understand how they can suck so badly at their actual jobs. They were excited when the mean old boss left and then decided they don’t want to work anyway.

invisobelt

And while I’m not offended by the second half (shot intended or not), I disagree with it. It is not easy to openly talk about this when you lived it—no matter what part of the “reveal” we are in—especially not for Sean and Dustin. Also, some of us didn’t know this site existed until other ex-Dis began posting. And there is the small problem with not being able to register for an account when registration is closed so often.

Please applaud these two posters. I certainly am. But I don’t think you should dismiss the struggle of posters that follow them.
Yes, I agree with you 100% here, JL. Respect to those who stood up first and couldn't take it any longer, but no shade to those who are speaking up now and clearly have been through shit. No one owes this board their story at all let alone as it's happening or right after. With every story I read about Pete and his reign of terror, I just realize that he used like every single tactic that an abusive partner uses against their victim and he did it with a whole group. He kept them so off balance and afraid of his wild card ass that even when they left, they didn't want to speak out for fear of him retaliating...because when they were with him, he would always retaliate in one way or another. That must take a psychological toll, one you may not realize was paid until long after the threat is gone.

Which isn't to say that some folks didn't do underhanded things that hurt others in the midst of the Pete chaos. There is blame to share for sure...but there's a lot of shame involved in staying in an abusive situation far longer than you know logically after the fact that you should have. You feel like your brain has failed to protect you and things that you thought you'd for sure do if someone was abusive, you don't do because they're so good at manipulation and coercion and control. It's really scary when you think about just how horrible it is and can be.

The real win is getting out at all. Some folks still haven't.

• Heart

invisobelt

This just seems like the world's shittiest version of Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?" routine.

"Which molestation are you talking about?"
"Witches got molested?!?"
"No, I'm asking you which molestation are you referring to?"
"I mean, I've known a lot of witches and I don't want to speculate..."

• Haha

bten1989

VIP Member
Twilight Zone moment here but both Craig AND Corey just friend requested me on my personal FB, and it’s them I checked lol. What the hell 😂 An attempt to get me to stop commenting on their PUBLICLY posted videos asking for some accountability? Truly baffling.

• Wow
  • Haha