The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the fact they did not put any of their Disneyland trip on the DisUnlimited Youtube channel shows that they are treated like employees by John. By that, I mean they do not have any sense of ownership of the channel. I can't imagine anyone with an invested stake in the health of their Disney-based channel would not cover an event in Disneyland that they attended.

I get the mentality when you feel like an employee and paid for for something yourself, why would they "cover this". I would probably do the same. However, successful YouTube creators really need to feel like they own their content and their channel. When they don't feel like they own it and are just employees, the channel does not feel real and will never grow creatively beacuse, why would it?

It is obvious John sees the channel as having one purpose - selling Dreams Unlimited packages. That type of focus will mean the channel is never anything more then a fanclub for the agency. I guess that is OK for John, but I would think Craig and Ryno could probably do more. If they want to really show off what they can do, they need a sense of ownership of their content, not to be the PR department Dreams Unlimited Travel.

Reactions: 11
I get the no sense of ownership under John and I may get roasted for this but…. If they are getting paid a salary and they WANT to go run and enjoy Disneyland (especially Craig who took his family), I have no problem with them doing just that. If John isn’t giving them freedom, trust, flexibility, whatever - why should they feel obligated to film? Let them Vacation and enjoy the return of the race there.

Reactions: 13
Ryno may never be able to buy that house he's always mentioning but hey at least DUT let's him go to Disneyland so he can slurp mojitos and eat grilled cheese... That's a win, right?!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Deni went and watched their child while they ran!
I know it will never happen, but I'd so love to hear Deni's take on her time at the DIS and Pete. It's nice to see that her friendships with Craig, Ryno, and Erica are ongoing.

I think the fact they did not put any of their Disneyland trip on the DisUnlimited Youtube channel shows that they are treated like employees by John. By that, I mean they do not have any sense of ownership of the channel. I can't imagine anyone with an invested stake in the health of their Disney-based channel would not cover an event in Disneyland that they attended.

I get the mentality when you feel like an employee and paid for for something yourself, why would they "cover this". I would probably do the same. However, successful YouTube creators really need to feel like they own their content and their channel. When they don't feel like they own it and are just employees, the channel does not feel real and will never grow creatively beacuse, why would it?

It is obvious John sees the channel as having one purpose - selling Dreams Unlimited packages. That type of focus will mean the channel is never anything more then a fanclub for the agency. I guess that is OK for John, but I would think Craig and Ryno could probably do more. If they want to really show off what they can do, they need a sense of ownership of their content, not to be the PR department Dreams Unlimited Travel.
I 100% agree. Some RunDisney content would have done so well. I wonder if something changed with John from how they thought things were going to go and that's really what happened to the creativity we were promised. It got squashed. But if that's what happened and they really had wanted it to go another way, why not go out on their own? If JL didn't have a non-compete in her contract, it's unlikely that Craig and Ryno did who were hired before she was -- and I'd imagine any such contract is null and void now with all the Pete stuff. Yes, it would be rough in the beginning, but I'd imagine they'd have a flood of Patreon support and a lot of carryover audience like Mammoth Club did.

DVC Fan is proving with every show that they feel ownership, are passionate on the topic, and also that a Zoom format can work ... they prepare for shows, they're responsive to feedback, they engage in the comments, and they clearly all genuinely like each other. They also have a consistent upload schedule and have content planned out in advance. They're really making an effort and it shows.

Ugh. It's just so frustrating to see the potential that Craig and Ryno have (had?) and that it's been wasted.

I get the no sense of ownership under John and I may get roasted for this but…. If they are getting paid a salary and they WANT to go run and enjoy Disneyland (especially Craig who took his family), I have no problem with them doing just that. If John isn’t giving them freedom, trust, flexibility, whatever - why should they feel obligated to film? Let them Vacation and enjoy the return of the race there.
I don't disagree. Knowing they were going to take two weeks off at Christmas/New Years and then do the WDW and DL races the next week, I do think there could have been some pre-planning and filming of videos that could be released in their absence. Not covering the opening of the Arts festival was a miss. Hannah went to the media event and wrote a detailed and well-written article - I think she's doing a nice job - but if they want to grow YouTube and not rely on their built-in audience (that is shrinking) they need to have enough depth to cover things and do it in a timely fashion. They're going to film food reviews today at the festival but I think most people have already watched dozens of videos on it. But, to your point, if they're just employees, I guess coverage and depth of the team is a Corey and John problem. I'm glad Craig and Ryno were able to have fun with the races.

Reactions: 5
So, let me get this straight – nearly three weeks off from their riveting hour-long Zoom "show"? John's in the business of Disney travel, yet they jet off to run a race without capturing a single ounce of content to boost the travel agency? Talk about a personnel and content failure. If they weren't doing anything Disney-related, fine, but when you're globetrotting for a Disney-sponsored event, missing out on content creation? That's like passing up a slam dunk for the agency's promotion!

So, let me get this straight – nearly three weeks off from their riveting hour-long Zoom "show"? John's in the business of Disney travel, yet they jet off to run a race without capturing a single ounce of content to boost the travel agency? Talk about a personnel and content failure. If they weren't doing anything Disney-related, fine, but when you're globetrotting for a Disney-sponsored event, missing out on content creation? That's like passing up a slam dunk for the agency's promotion!
I think that is kind of the point. They are just employees not channel owners. The success of the channel is of no real consequence to them. They cash their paycheck and do what John tells them. They know they have no real power to influence what the channel does so why would they take their own time to make it better.

Reactions: 10

Yes!!! This brings up what I’m struggling with understanding now. If their employer isn’t paying, why give The Dis “free” content. I totally get that. But there is a clear lack of content elsewhere and it isn’t like they paid a correspondent to post on their channel for a day. Craig seems genuinely talented and I’m surprised they didn’t make a plan to coordinate with someone to post content from the festival.

Reactions: 4
If John isn't putting money behind the channel to get more content for it from a Disneyland trip, then John either has no money or no fucks to give.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
If John isn't putting money behind the channel to get more content for it from a Disneyland trip, then John either has no money or no fucks to give.
I don't think we can curse in thread titles but DU #11 No Money and No Fucks To Give, would be hysterical.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
He doesn't care about the channel views. He cares about how many travel packages are booked. The two are not in opposition of each other, but he also doesn't need 100,000+ views like a successful channel would.

I think that is kind of the point. They are just employees not channel owners. The success of the channel is of no real consequence to them. They cash their paycheck and do what John tells them. They know they have no real power to influence what the channel does so why would they take their own time to make it better.
I know this is a real mentality and I get it. Perhaps if you're in some type of civil servant job or perhaps in some big company jobs where you are just a small cog in the machinery, you can say I work 9-5 and that's it.

But I don't think this is that type of job. First of all, in those other types of jobs you generally have a good deal of job security, which allows you to have that approach. Secondly, somehow Craig has become the face of the new DIS and the new DIS is widely panned as terrible. Its hard to erase that stench. He can make all the arguments he wants about he is just an employee, etc., etc., but he has attached himself to this product and its awful. Not only has the content been bad but the effort has been even worse. How do you explain that to other people in a Niche industry? Well I was just an employee so I was willing to put out a poor product because my name wasn't on the door. Who wants to hire someone that? Who wants to work with him?

Reactions: 8
I know this is a real mentality and I get it. Perhaps if you're in some type of civil servant job or perhaps in some big company jobs where you are just a small cog in the machinery, you can say I work 9-5 and that's it.

But I don't think this is that type of job. First of all, in those other types of jobs you generally have a good deal of job security, which allows you to have that approach. Secondly, somehow Craig has become the face of the new DIS and the new DIS is widely panned as terrible. Its hard to erase that stench. He can make all the arguments he wants about he is just an employee, etc., etc., but he has attached himself to this product and its awful. Not only has the content been bad but the effort has been even worse. How do you explain that to other people in a Niche industry? Well I was just an employee so I was willing to put out a poor product because my name wasn't on the door. Who wants to hire someone that? Who wants to work with him?
This right here. Do you want to be an employee, take some ridiculously small initiative and turn on your cell phone camera for a few minutes, and get a paycheck, or watch your company get flushed down the shitter and get no paycheck? They were there already, and anyone with any intelligence would weight the benefit of taking five minutes to grab some content.

Reactions: 7
The whole "they are just employees and not owners" doesn't hold water. First, even if it is factually true the good employees that rise up corporate ranks take initiative outside of their defined roles. I don't know of many successful leaders that use "that isn't my job" very often if at all. For something like a Youtube channel they are the face of the channel no matter who owns it so put forth the extra effort or get out and do your own thing so you are the owner.

Setting that aside completely at least one of them, Ryno, has his own channel and if they notice the ship they are on is sinking he should have covered the races for his private channel as a demonstration of his capabilities.

Wish they'd edit the old thumbnails. Know that's an insane statement when they don't even care about the current. But YouTube keeps serving me thumbnails with Pete and :sick:

Reactions: 1
Looks like DUT is offering the chance to win a 4 night Disney cruise as a fundraiser for Give Kids the World. I’m buying some entries as it’s probably the only way I’ll get on a Disney cruise 😂 And GKTW is one of the few charities that I donate to
IMG_0715.jpeg

Give Kids the World is VERY reputable charity. Dreams has a $900k decision looming. IDK. But any support of Give Kids the World is a good thing. Amazing organization.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.