The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, how are we today?

Has anyone experienced SSRI meds side effects after lowering your dose? I was initially put on 20mg and has nausea, early rises and anxiety as side effects. They eventually disappeared, I then went on 40mg and had no trouble with it. Now I’m on 20mg again and feel like all the anxiety is now in my stomach! I wake up up sick in the mornings, can only eat sour foods, have no appetite for anything else yet I still experience hunger, just can’t face the thought of eating.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hey,

How long were you on the 40mg for?

Drug lowering should always be done gradually and that is quiet a jump.

Maybe you could order some meal replacement drinks like huel instead of eating and just gradually sip during the day?

• Heart
How long were you on the 40mg for?
Hi! More than half a year, I think? At least 5 months.
Drug lowering should always be done gradually and that is quiet a jump.
Maybe you could order some meal replacement drinks like huel instead of eating and just gradually sip during the day?
I just went from two to one pill a day, I am not even sure it can be done any other way with Fluoxetine…Meal replacement drinks are a great idea, thank you so much! Will look into them now x

Reactions: 2
Well done you! 💜 Does it feel like a slight weight has lifted just by telling someone? I panicked about the side effects too but thought anything is worth a shot! I’m four days in now - first day was awful but only had slight sweats and unsettled sleep since (which I’m used to with the anxiety anyway!!). I’ve found taking it with food helps with the nausea 💜
Thank you 🙂 yes, definitely feels good to have done something about it and told someone what’s going on after feeling tit for so long. Totally agree - at this point I’d do anything to feel better and get rid of the sense of dread and sadness! Just took my first one this evening. Here goes… thank you for the support and to everyone else who replied previously ❤

• Heart
How do you guys get yourself out of a slump? I just haven’t been able to find any motivation the last few days. I’ve been managing to cook dinner, that’s about it. 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 4
How do you guys get yourself out of a slump? I just haven’t been able to find any motivation the last few days. I’ve been managing to cook dinner, that’s about it. 😞
I’ve found out I have to either force myself or just wait until it comes naturally. But maybe you could go gradually, like today you cook dinner, tomorrow you cook dinner and go for a short walk, next day cook dinner, walk and do something else..? Doesn’t have to be day by day, just go at your own pace so you feel comfortable.

I have no real complaints about yesterday, I dragged myself out and went to meet some friends of a friend. It went fine even though I did get sad out of sudden on my way home. However, I met this guy, we talked and…it was a bit of a mindf*ck really. He acted all interested, I wasn’t sure but wasn’t opposed either, and then he just said he changed his mind?! It’s like ghosting except for the fact we hardly know each other and he was the one to approach me. I’m so confused, definitely not ready for dating/flings and all the mind games as for now 🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Hi! More than half a year, I think? At least 5 months.

I just went from two to one pill a day, I am not even sure it can be done any other way with Fluoxetine…Meal replacement drinks are a great idea, thank you so much! Will look into them now x
When I was coming off I remember going lower because I could break the tablet. You are right though it does depend.

Did you get yourself the drinks? Are you eating a bit better?

From the wise words of Dr Seuss "Unslumping yourself is not easily done." I've been severely down for the past three months. Good days and not so good in between. Letting go of expectations helps. You cooked dinner and that is still something. You don't have to be super productive all the time. Accept where you are without judgement and adding extra feelings on top. Try to focus on looking after yourself the best you can each day that's all.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
When I was coming off I remember going lower because I could break the tablet. You are right though it does depend.

Did you get yourself the drinks? Are you eating a bit better?
Thank you for asking, means so much to me 🙂❤ I did look into them and was going to buy some but before that I tried drinking orange or pineapple juice before my meals and it worked! Feeling so much better now. I will be either lowering the dose or (hopefully) going off meds completely, so I hope it goes away soon.

How are you doing? 💗

Reactions: 1
I find this site helpful when I am really low and need hand-holding on getting the basics taken care of: https://youfeellikeshit.com/ it’s quite simple but often it snaps me out of my low mood enough to then go and do something else afterwards.

Well done for cooking dinner - seriously! I am so lazy, cooking is always the first thing I start slacking on when I feel in a slump.

ETA Don’t be put off by the website name! I promise it’s a nice site!

Sorry for just jumping in, but definitely in need of a bit of support. I'm getting up the courage to speak to my doctor about how I've been feeling. I've been in a slump for so long that I just can't shake off. I'm now having panic attacks and can barely get through the day. I have been having fleeting thoughts of suicide but I think it's more that I just want to run away from everyone and everything. I'm so scared about the thought of medication.

Did anyone else feel scared of medication, side effects, etc and find that it helped take the edge off of this? So sorry for being so vague I'm struggling to even articulate myself.

• Heart
I find this site helpful when I am really low and need hand-holding on getting the basics taken care of: https://youfeellikeshit.com/ it’s quite simple but often it snaps me out of my low mood enough to then go and do something else afterwards.

Well done for cooking dinner - seriously! I am so lazy, cooking is always the first thing I start slacking on when I feel in a slump.

ETA Don’t be put off by the website name! I promise it’s a nice site!
thank you for mentioning this site - i found it very helpful today and will definitely come back to it 💙

• Heart
Did anyone else feel scared of medication, side effects, etc and find that it helped take the edge off of this? So sorry for being so vague I'm struggling to even articulate myself.
Yes. I was worried about getting on meds because I’ve heard stories of people having all sorts of horrible side effects, of becoming addicted, of doing all sorts of things to themselves…I started anyway and meds have helped me quite a lot. They definitely don’t solve the problem but more often than not, they prove to be helpful and prevent declines and bad thoughts. With some meds you might see a decline before it gets better though. Ultimately it’s just finding something that your doctor approves of and that you are comfortable with. Finding something that works for you can take some time, but in my opinion, it is worth giving it a try. Good luck ❤

• Heart
Yes. I was worried about getting on meds because I’ve heard stories of people having all sorts of horrible side effects, of becoming addicted, of doing all sorts of things to themselves…I started anyway and meds have helped me quite a lot. They definitely don’t solve the problem but more often than not, they prove to be helpful and prevent declines and bad thoughts. With some meds you might see a decline before it gets better though. Ultimately it’s just finding something that your doctor approves of and that you are comfortable with. Finding something that works for you can take some time, but in my opinion, it is worth giving it a try. Good luck ❤
Thanks so much for your response, that's really helpful ❤

• Heart
Yes @Mysteryy I was definitely worried before I first went on an anti-depressant. But I have found my GP and later psychiatrist were really good about discussing side effects and managing any changes of dose or medication. Please see your GP to discuss your options and don't be afraid ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hey i have been depressed for most of my 20s i have tried all different antidepressants I'm on duloxetine 90mg now but feel it makes me blank sometimes and I have 0 sex drive.

I've lost my friends who I introduced to each other over a drunk argument now they are best friends without me. I have no one now except for my boyfriend.

I feel im always self destructive and push people away especially when im drinking.

I want to be a better person but im struggling really bad at the moment.

• Sad
Hey i have been depressed for most of my 20s i have tried all different antidepressants I'm on duloxetine 90mg now but feel it makes me blank sometimes and I have 0 sex drive.

I've lost my friends who I introduced to each other over a drunk argument now they are best friends without me. I have no one now except for my boyfriend.

I feel im always self destructive and push people away especially when im drinking.

I am so sorry about this and can completely identify, I would suggest as a first point (if you can) stop drinking ❤ we are alll here

Cannot sleep at all. It’s 4am and I’m exhausted but I just cannot shut off. My brain won’t shut up and I’m fed up with it.

• Sad
Cannot sleep at all. It’s 4am and I’m exhausted but I just cannot shut off. My brain won’t shut up and I’m fed up with it.
Hey if it helps your not alone!

I'm completely exhausted, I've been prescribed meds by the doctor so hopefully they help take the edge off.

How do you guys manage with work? My job is currently having a massive impact on how I feel... Everyone keeps saying it'll get better and I have to give it more time but I feel like it's consuming me... Any ideas?

I’m sorry to hear you struggling. Do you think it’s your drinking that makes you act like that? Have you tried drinking less or doing a dry week/month etc?
I can relate. Do you have insomnia? Have you told you doctor about this?
How do you guys manage with work? My job is currently having a massive impact on how I feel... Everyone keeps saying it'll get better and I have to give it more time but I feel like it's consuming me... Any ideas?
Is your job demanding? Do you WFH or not?

Last edited:
I’m back.

Usually a lurker on this thread, have posted before.

How do people cope with the feeling that everything is hopeless? And that they’re basically going to lose everyone close to them one day? It’s a reoccurring thought.

Right bundle of laughs, me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.