The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was really struggling tonight. I got quite drunk for fun as I’d had a good week but then started feel really low and wanting to sh. I then (silently) danced around and decided to pierce my second helix. I’ve tried a few times and failed but managed to this time. I’m not sure if it was the best thing to do but I do feel better now. I had a call with my unis well-being service and I think I’m a bit wound up over it. Now I have the potentiality of getting help I don’t want it because I don’t want to face things.
Omg @Blue Rose I really feel for you. Saturday morning will maybe not be easy, but please, please be kind to yourself.

It’s a brilliant thing that you’ve called your uni’s well-being service. I totally understand all the ”agghhh” that comes with it, that’s normal. Facing things is sooo hard, I still struggle with it. But you can do it.

In my experience (and this is all it is), facing things is doable if you can trust the person you speak to. If you can’t, please keep on. Talk it through with us if you feel like it. Take your time love, your post here shows that deep down you care enough about yourself, even if it doesn’t seem that way x

Oh just knowing I’m not alone in this helps a lot! Thank you so much for your kind words and for reaching out, it means the world to me. I’m actually doing slightly better today, don’t want to jinx it but it’s nowhere near as bad as it was last week. I hope you overcome this, take care of yourself too ❤ How are you today?
It’s such an isolating feeling, and out brains make us think we’re alone. It’s why it’s a relief to see that other people get that too. Don’t jinx it lovely! I’m so relieved for you!
Yas! I’ve done what I should have done weeks ago and arranged an appointment with my gp. I’m gutted my meds aren’t helping but I’m so grateful to have a nice doctor who will listen.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Has the booster shot made anyone else feel very low? I ask as although I’m always lonely and never completely happy, this week I’m crying and feeling hopeless.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone else on sertraline get heartburn after taking them sometimes?
I woke up in the night with it and its still there now

Reactions: 1
Has the booster shot made anyone else feel very low? I ask as although I’m always lonely and never completely happy, this week I’m crying and feeling hopeless.
mine really messed up my period, I had it for over 2 weeks and I felt really low for the whole time

I’m after some advice.. I’ve had depression for well over 10 years and it often comes and goes. I left my ex husband who was extremely toxic 2 and a half years ago. I was completely fine until about 5 months ago where my depression came back because of issues with the divorce and now it seems to be ongoing because of the memories of the relationship, being lonely etc.

My question is would I be wise to tell someone I trust what went on/ what he done during the relationship or no? I want someone to be honest with me and say whether I’m overreacting/ try and explain why he done what he done etc and not say things just to defend me to help me feel better. At the minute only my best friend and the police know what went on. I keep getting upset in work and my boss tells me to stop living in the past and I thought maybe if I told someone else what I went through it might help me cope?

Sorry for the long post. I hope it makes sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m after some advice.. I’ve had depression for well over 10 years and it often comes and goes. I left my ex husband who was extremely toxic 2 and a half years ago. I was completely fine until about 5 months ago where my depression came back because of issues with the divorce and now it seems to be ongoing because of the memories of the relationship, being lonely etc.

My question is would I be wise to tell someone I trust what went on/ what he done during the relationship or no? I want someone to be honest with me and say whether I’m overreacting/ try and explain why he done what he done etc and not say things just to defend me to help me feel better. At the minute only my best friend and the police know what went on. I keep getting upset in work and my boss tells me to stop living in the past and I thought maybe if I told someone else what I went through it might help me cope?

Yes, I think talking about it would definitely help you cope. I think this is something some sessions with a psychologist would help with. Could you see your GP about a referral?

❤ You make perfect sense, and well done for leaving that relationship!

Reactions: 4
Yes, I think talking about it would definitely help you cope. I think this is something some sessions with a psychologist would help with. Could you see your GP about a referral?

❤ You make perfect sense, and well done for leaving that relationship!
I spoke to a therapist through work but she basically just told me he was an idiot and that was that. She never asked me what he done it was just how I can cope with depression and stress to stop getting upset and when I tried to talk about it she’d move the conversation on. It was relatively helpful learning how to cope a little better when the depression flares up, but I would have preferred talking about what went on to get it off of my chest.

Reactions: 1
I was really struggling tonight. I got quite drunk for fun as I’d had a good week but then started feel really low and wanting to sh. I then (silently) danced around and decided to pierce my second helix. I’ve tried a few times and failed but managed to this time. I’m not sure if it was the best thing to do but I do feel better now. I had a call with my unis well-being service and I think I’m a bit wound up over it. Now I have the potentiality of getting help I don’t want it because I don’t want to face things.
I’m so sorry Blue Rose! 🙁 I don’t think you should push yourself into getting comfortable if you are not comfortable with the idea yet, but just knowing you can get it might make you feel more safe. How are you today?
It’s such an isolating feeling, and out brains make us think we’re alone. It’s why it’s a relief to see that other people get that too. Don’t jinx it lovely! I’m so relieved for you!
Yas! I’ve done what I should have done weeks ago and arranged an appointment with my gp. I’m gutted my meds aren’t helping but I’m so grateful to have a nice doctor who will listen.
Thank you! ❤ I’m so glad to hear you were able to get an appointment, I hope you get the help you need! Meds aren’t perfect and often are not enough, unfortunately
Does anyone else on sertraline get heartburn after taking them sometimes?
I woke up in the night with it and its still there now
Have you talked to your doctor about this? I get the same thing with Fluoxetine. I try to take it with food and with food only, otherwise I get horrible heartburn. I’d rather skip it altogether than take it with no food, it’s that bad.

From your post it seems like you really want to confide in someone. If talking about it will help you cope, do it! Well done for leaving your ex husband, you don’t need toxic people in your live and deserve so much better! 💗
I spoke to a therapist through work but she basically just told me he was an idiot and that was that. She never asked me what he done it was just how I can cope with depression and stress to stop getting upset and when I tried to talk about it she’d move the conversation on. It was relatively helpful learning how to cope a little better when the depression flares up, but I would have preferred talking about what went on to get it off of my chest.
Could you find another therapist? She does not sounds like a good one.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh that's a shame. I think it might be worth trying to find another therapist . Especially if you don't feel like you've got it off your chest yet. Sounds like your previous therapist was more CBT focused maybe, which is super helpful in terms of strategies moving forward. But yes, sometimes you just want to talk in a safe environment without judgement ❤

Oh that's a shame. I think it might be worth trying to find another therapist . Especially if you don't feel like you've got it off your chest yet. Sounds like your previous therapist was more CBT focused maybe, which is super helpful in terms of strategies moving forward. But yes, sometimes you just want to talk in a safe environment without judgement ❤
Yes, it can be confusing when you receive CBT as it doesn't provide the interpersonal space for talking through stuff. CBT is future-focused. If you want to talk over things you’ll need something more counselling-based. I had a combo of psychodynamic psychotherapy & CBT once and found it the best, it was 65-70% going over past events and building a relationship with the therapist then 35-30% CBT.

@altgirl I am sorry you had that experience of therapy. It actually makes me quite angry on your behalf and sums up why I find CBT as a stand-alone totally unsuitable for many issues. Of course, the future is important but just dismissing and not exploring what’s happened to get you to therapy in the first place is so damaging, imho.

I absolutely, 1000% believe it would be incredibly beneficial to talk through what happened.

Fully agree with what @no-no, @mindlessness and @Raymond Luxury-Yacht said about CBT vs more psycho-analysis focused therapy.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@altgirl I am sorry you had that experience of therapy. It actually makes me quite angry on your behalf and sums up why I find CBT as a stand-alone totally unsuitable for many issues. Of course, the future is important but just dismissing and not exploring what’s happened to get you to therapy in the first place is so damaging, imho.

I absolutely, 1000% believe it would be incredibly beneficial to talk through what happened.

Fully agree with what @no-no, @mindlessness and @Raymond Luxury-Yacht said about CBT vs more psycho-analysis focused therapy.
Thank you all for your replies. I will try and look into counselling near me and possibly reach out to a friend who didn’t know him in the meantime.

• Heart
I’m so sorry Blue Rose! 🙁 I don’t think you should push yourself into getting comfortable if you are not comfortable with the idea yet, but just knowing you can get it might make you feel more safe. How are you today?
Thank you for all your kind messages x. I’ve felt a lot better since Friday night and think I will continue with the counselling service. I’ve been put on a waiting list and will be quite busy over the next few weeks so it might be a while until I have a proper session anyway. That should give me time to prepare myself. I’ve also decided that I’m not drink unless it’s socially anymore, since all it did was remind me of how lonely I was and trigger me.

• Heart
Has anybody ever tried a CBT book? I don’t dare do CBT yet so would like to try a book myself perhaps.

I am struggling at the moment and feel embarrassed and almost ashamed to admit it. Today we got a puppy. A puppy i have wanted for years. We’ve spent ages researching it and I’ve been so excited all week to pick him up. Today came and I’ve spent it in tears worrying I’ve made a mistake and regretting it. I am embarrassed of my thought process, I do this for so many situations. I’ve spent what should have been a happy day, in tears all day. It’s like a sign I need to sort myself out now.

• Heart
Has anybody ever tried a CBT book? I don’t dare do CBT yet so would like to try a book myself perhaps.

I am struggling at the moment and feel embarrassed and almost ashamed to admit it. Today we got a puppy. A puppy i have wanted for years. We’ve spent ages researching it and I’ve been so excited all week to pick him up. Today came and I’ve spent it in tears worrying I’ve made a mistake and regretting it. I am embarrassed of my thought process, I do this for so many situations. I’ve spent what should have been a happy day, in tears all day. It’s like a sign I need to sort myself out now.
Hey there!

Unfortunately, I have no experience with CBT so I can’t say anything about that. As for your situation with the puppy, you sounds like you are just emotionally overwhelmed at the moment. As someone who made some other similarly life-changing decisions last year and is about to make another, I know this feeling so well. It does not necessarily mean you are unhappy or are going to regret your decision. It just shows you might be emotionally tired after all the stresses. I hope you can get over it and grow to love your new puppy. I absolutely adore dogs BTW, is it a boy or a girl? What’s the breed? 🙂

Thank you for sharing this. I’m going to the GP on Monday to do the same! First time for me and I am weirdly relieved now that I’ve finally decided to do it. I know there are no guarantees and it’s no picnic but it’s so nice to think that there might be something that will take the edge off and let me enjoy life a bit more. Even a tiny bit!
Sorry to quote myself but quick update on this, was prescribed sertraline today. Doctor was incredibly lovely. Was feeling positive about it and then a well-meaning friend told me alllll about alllllll the side effects in the first two weeks. But another friend said the only thing they experienced was weird dreams. I think I’m just going to start them tomorrow and not overthink it!

• Heart
Sorry to quote myself but quick update on this, was prescribed sertraline today. Doctor was incredibly lovely. Was feeling positive about it and then a well-meaning friend told me alllll about alllllll the side effects in the first two weeks. But another friend said the only thing they experienced was weird dreams. I think I’m just going to start them tomorrow and not overthink it!
Give it a go and see how you get on. It takes a few weeks to get into your system and everyone is different. Hoping for great results for you!

• Heart
Well done you! 💜 Does it feel like a slight weight has lifted just by telling someone? I panicked about the side effects too but thought anything is worth a shot! I’m four days in now - first day was awful but only had slight sweats and unsettled sleep since (which I’m used to with the anxiety anyway!!). I’ve found taking it with food helps with the nausea 💜

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.